Profile for Eric Hobart > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 272

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Eric Hobart RSS Feed (La Center, WA United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
CorningWare Cast Aluminum Dutch Oven Braiser with Dual Handles and Glass Cover, 4-Quart, White
Price: $68.20
6 used & new from $65.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very versatile and useful cookware for the everyday kitchen, April 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I believe that this is a very versatile piece of cookware for the everyday kitchen, and is well worth adding to your arsenal if you're cooking for the family or a small group of guests.

PROS:

1) Lightweight - I didn't have to struggle with this like I do some of my other pans
2) Easy to clean - this was SO easy to clean. Even after my kids didn't clean the kitchen after dinner one night, I was able to clean off the mess they left behind in only a few minutes.
3) Very versatile - we've used it for cooking everything from a pasta casserole to a chicken pot pie

CONS:

1) Mine happened to be damaged when it was arrived (it is still perfectly usable, since the damage was minor)
2) There might be other challenges with this, but I haven't found any after using it for a few weeks.

Pinnacle Event: A Novel
Pinnacle Event: A Novel
by Richard A. Clarke
Price: $20.33
75 used & new from $2.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, but not terrible, April 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had a tough time with this one - the book has a nice premise (combining nuclear device theft with environmental attacks), but I just felt like it went too slow and was almost predictable.

Halfway through the book, I felt that I already knew the culprits, the plan, and the majority of what was going to happen. I kept reading to see if I was wrong, but I had most of it right (unfortunately).

It's a worthwhile story for one of those evenings when you want something intriguing, but it wasn't suspenseful or thoughtful enough for me.

It's What I Do: A Photographer's Life of Love and War
It's What I Do: A Photographer's Life of Love and War
by Lynsey Addario
Price: $16.97
86 used & new from $11.05

4.0 out of 5 stars I greatly enjoyed this work & would happily read it again, April 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book rather surprised me, but it was a pleasant surprise. I was hooked almost immediately, since I found the author's voice & style to be enjoyable. I did not expect the candid depictions that Addario included in her work - and they're present from the beginning - but they really do add to her story.

I am an amateur photographer, so I was enthralled by her descriptions of the places she has traveled and the experiences she has had behind the lens. I had no idea of the things that wartime photographers have to endure, such as kidnappings, though some of the other experiences she relates are more expected (facing death at every turn, or suffering through the elements just do get the shot). Despite the fact that some of her experiences were somewhat expected given the regions she was photographing, her style of depicting the area & events really help the reader to understand what she has truly endured.

Overall, I greatly enjoyed this work & would happily read it again.

Emerald Roasted & Salted Whole Cashews, Stand Up Resealable Bag, 5 Ounce
Emerald Roasted & Salted Whole Cashews, Stand Up Resealable Bag, 5 Ounce
Offered by Myers and Son
Price: $5.99
10 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty snack - and as advertised!, February 11, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't think there's any way to say it except that Cashews are absolutely my favorite nut. I've tried many brands, but this one was really one of the better that I've found.

The nuts are indeed whole cashews, as promised, unlike some companies, which provide the customer with about 50% whole nuts and plenty of scraps.

The nuts were fresh, and had a "good until" date some 18+ months in the future, so I know that they were recently packed.

Overall, if you're a nut fan, this is a good one - try it; it might be a bit on the pricey side, but it's well worth it!

Sensi Wi-Fi Smart Programmable Thermostat UP500W
Sensi Wi-Fi Smart Programmable Thermostat UP500W
Price: Click here to see our price
16 used & new from $104.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic upgrade to my home., January 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Previously, I had an "old style" manual thermostat that just drove me crazy. I couldn't regulate the temperature well, and the kids couldn't read it. Now, I have solved all those problems by installing this new wi-fi thermostat.

Big pros for me:

* It was pretty easy to install - and I am not a handy-man type person
* The wi-fi enables me to control the thermostat from anywhere
* It supports schedules (e.g. I can set my house to warm up just before coming home, or cooler while I'm away)

The biggest challenge I had was with the instructions - or should I say lack thereof. I didn't get a physical instruction booklet, so I had to go hunting online. Not a big deal, just something to keep in mind.

Overall, I'm glad I installed this, and I think it adds to my home.

Mega Bloks Halo UNSC Broadsword Midnight Strike
Mega Bloks Halo UNSC Broadsword Midnight Strike
Offered by BESTBAY
Price: $38.49
87 used & new from $38.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for a 13 year old, October 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this product with the intent of giving it to my 13 year old daughter, who has been entranced by Lego projects for the last few years.

She enjoyed assembling the project, but she found that it was very different than Lego in a couple of ways:

* The pieces were not organized into "stages" like Lego (e.g. there was no "bag 1"). Instead, all the pieces were just in a box, which added a challenge for her (this was a good thing for her)
* The instructions, she said, are not as clear as those for the Lego projects. This is not a knock on the instructions as much as a learning opportunity for her, since she's getting a new look

The pieces seem to be of high quality (roughly the same as the Lego product), and are easily handled by a teenager's hands (unlike the Nano blocks, which are so small that tweezers are required).

Overall, I do recommend the product, as it encourages young minds to better learn how to follow instructions and it teaches patience - especially when encountering something new.

Luke Him Sau, Architect: China's Missing Modern
Luke Him Sau, Architect: China's Missing Modern
by Edward Denison
Price: $54.47
34 used & new from $53.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting take on a biography..., September 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I first picked up this book, I wasn't sure if it was a coffee table book, a biography, or something else. However, I found that the book is a very effective visual biography - plenty of photos enmeshed within the work itself as opposed to a "traditional" biography where the images are all on center pages.

I really like the way that the author integrates the images with the subject material; it lends itself to easy absorption and understanding of the presentation, and is a very effective tool.

The only challenge I had with the work was that I am totally unfamiliar with Chinese names, and therefore I struggled, but for someone that understands more about Chinese history & is relatively familiar with the naming conventions & structures, this book will indeed be a wonderful addition to the history on this period.

I greatly enjoyed the work, and I would heartily recommend it to anyone interested in the architectural history of the era and the region. It's a fascinating work and a great addition to the historical literature on the topic.

Landslide: LBJ and Ronald Reagan at the Dawn of a New America
Landslide: LBJ and Ronald Reagan at the Dawn of a New America
by Jonathan Darman
Price: $22.23
89 used & new from $1.25

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre analysis, too much Kennedy & Johnson - not enough Nixon or Reagan, August 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The concept behind this book is a good one -- it's another effort to help explain the rise of Conservatism coming out of the 1960's and heading into Reagan's two terms as President in the 1980's.

Darman has tried to tie LBJ & Ronald Reagan together, but the book doesn't give as much analysis as I had hoped for. The book starts with explaining the Kennedy assassination and how LBJ came to power. Lots of tales about Johnson and the demons he had to exorcise ensure, but the link to Reagan is tenuous at best until the very end of the work, when Darman really demonstrates that Reagan took advantage of Johnson's weaknesses and how he used those struggles to propel himself to the governorship of California.

I would have liked to see more Nixon in the book - Richard Nixon is, in my opinion, an ultra critical player in the transition from the liberal era (FDR, Truman, Kennedy, Johnson) to the conservative era (Reagan, Bush 41, and Bush 43). Without Nixon's hand in using the "silent majority" (a phrase only uttered once or twice in this book), I do not believe Regan could have become President - and there's not nearly enough evidence or analysis in this book to change my thoughts on that.

If you don't know a lot about LBJ, this is a great book - it will help you understand Lyndon Johnson the man and the President. If you are unfamiliar with Ronald Reagan, this book won't give you much - he doesn't really warrant as much attention as he should in this book. I don't think the book is worth reading to understand how LBJ & Reagan really fostered the transition to a more conservative America, since the analysis is minimal and the book is filled with stories & tales about the two men.

National Geographic Traveler: Australia, 5th Edition
National Geographic Traveler: Australia, 5th Edition
by Roff Martin Smith
Price: $19.81
48 used & new from $14.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Maintains the standards of the series, June 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've always thought highly of the National Geographic travel guides, and this version - Australia, 5th edition - is another superb entry into the series.

Although I haven't looked at previous versions of the Australia book, I especially like how Nat Geo has so many amazing photographs & tips for what to do/see, since that's what traveling is all about.

This is absolutely one book I will take with me when I travel to Australia - I just think it's fantastic & well worth purchasing/reading.

Finish Powerball Tabs Dishwasher Detergent, Power and Free, 17 Count
Finish Powerball Tabs Dishwasher Detergent, Power and Free, 17 Count
Offered by vistackandpet
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm, February 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I know - dishwasher soap. Not exactly an exciting item, but very important to ensure that the dishes are clean, and we know that hot water doesn't get them clean by itself.

We have a brand new dishwasher (installed January 2014), and we've found that certain types of dishwasher soap (especially the ones in the plastic packages) don't dissolve well in this particular machine. These, however, work exceptionally well - they're the right size for the soap compartment, and they fully dissolve, leaving the dishes sparkling clean.

I think we've found the right soap for our dishwasher going forward...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20