Profile for Crazy Legs > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Crazy Legs "Al V" RSS Feed (San Francisco, CA, USA)

Tiny Acts of Rebellion: 97 Almost-Legal Ways to Stick It to the Man
Tiny Acts of Rebellion: 97 Almost-Legal Ways to Stick It to the Man
by Rich Fulcher
Price: $12.16
73 used & new from $0.61

5.0 out of 5 stars An important addition to the Western canon, June 25, 2010
When I read this book I laughed. I cried. I got arrested. In my holding cell, I met a fine young man named Defcon who went by the name Key Chain. I shared this book with him (for some reason the cops let me keep the book yet made me give up my shoelaces and underwear), and together we laughed and cried and then laughed again. We fell in love, there in that holding cell, bonding over Tiny Acts of Rebellion by Rich Fulcher. Months later, when we were both sprung, we went straight back to the courthouse to get married. Soon after, we had four kids, who were each promptly removed by child services from our condemned, feral cat-infested studio apartment within hours of their individual births. Key Chain and I are still extremely happy together to this very day. So, I absolutely cannot recommend this book highly enough. Dreams can come true!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2011 2:57 PM PST

Lady-Comp Fertility Monitor - Fahrenheit
Lady-Comp Fertility Monitor - Fahrenheit

5.0 out of 5 stars No hormones, same effectiveness as the pill, June 1, 2010
I have had my Lady Comp since 1998 and I love it. It's easy to use and it is reliable. I have had more than a few short-term and long-term relationships between then and now, and it has gotten me through all of them with flying colors. I even continue to use it when I know I am in no way going to be sexually active because I really like knowing where I am in my cycle. It helps me predict food cravings, mood swings, and when to buy my "girlie" products.

Different pills made me crazy (literally) so I finally stopped using hormonal birth control a long time ago. This left me with the dilemma of relying on barrier methods (and thus, relying on a partner to properly use said method) for the rest of my life. I started researching alternative methods of birth control and read about the "French" method (aka "rhythm" method). However, I found that having to take my temperature and charting my cycles on a piece of paper seemed too risky. Digital thermometers weren't available when people started documenting the rhythm method, so almost every book about it stressed that the temperature had to be taken vaginally, not orally (bleh!). Additionally, it is recommended to take a basal reading as close to waking up as possible, so I found charting while barely conscious (since I am NOT a morning person) difficult. I really had (have) no interest in getting pregnant, and I wanted something relatively fool proof.

In 1998, the interwebs started becoming more useful for end users like me, and I was able to find a product called the Lady Comp on a web site called birthcontrol.com (the domain name seems to have since been sold and is now being used by a Canadian drug store-type company). I liked that the manufacturer had real research to support their claims, and I liked that this device had close to the same Pearl index (effectiveness rate) as any hormonally-based pill -- with the same caveat as a daily pill that the method is only as effective as the person using it is consistent doing so. I also LOVED that all you have to do is take your temperature (orally!) at the same time every morning. That is it! No pee-ing on anything like you do for the devices that are marketed for fertility planning. It was pricey (over $500 plus customs charges) and it had to be shipped from Germany (same company as the one here on Amazon) via a Canadian distributor since no one in the U.S. was distributing them back then. I had just started making more than poverty level for the first time in my life, so the price was daunting. But the price seemed worth it to effectively prevent pregnancy while still being able to enjoy "spontaneous" sex with a partner. And considering I've now had mine for 12 years, it has come out to about $45 a year (not including additional cost of condoms). So, ultimately, it's quite economical. There is also the additional bonus of always knowing when you need to buy or carry pads/tampons.

To be clear, the "spontaneity" still has to be planned. If you decide to go bare-back on days that are not "green", you run the risk of getting pregnant. So, unlike the pill, you still either have to abstain from vaginal intercourse or use barrier methods on "red" days. And, of course, using a method like this doesn't protect you from any STDs (which seems like it should be a giant "ah duh" but I never cease to be surprised by the lack of general knowledge of sex education), so you may not want to rely solely on this kind of method if you are worried about those kinds of issues.

And, even being a non-morning person, I find myself usually waking up on the first beep. The alarm is gentle and in 12 years of daily use I have rarely slept through it without some other mitigating circumstance present (i.e., drinking and/or going to sleep two hours before the alarm is supposed to go off). When I have had a partner, they have claimed to not have noticed the alarm at all, so, unless your partner is a really light sleeper, it's not intrusive. The alarm beeps; I roll over, take my temperature, confirm/deny if I'm currently menstruating (only needed when prompted), and then roll right back over to sleep until my "real" alarm clock goes off an hour later. Easy as pie.

I recommend this product unwaveringly. In fact, the only reason I found out Amazon was selling them is because I was looking to buy one for a very dear friend as a wedding present. I wish I could afford to buy one for every ovulating BFF I have.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2014 6:58 PM PST

Who Moved My Cheese?: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life
by Spencer Johnson
Price: $11.26
3617 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse Than Bad, It's Evil, August 15, 2000
Luckily enough, I didn't have to pay money for this book - I was forced to read it by my employer. The fact most people read this book after their co-workers are handed pink slips as part of a kinder, gentler corporate reduction in force should be indicative enough of the intent of this book. Don't be fooled by the wanna-be New Age slant - the majority of examples in this book are work-related. The "& in Your Life" in the title is there to attempt to hide the ridiculously pro-upper management viewpoint of the book.
Even if you can get over the 2nd grade reading level writing style, there's still the truly bad content to contend with. The author categorizes us all as either mice or "little people" in a maze who get bent out of shape if our "cheese" is moved. The moral of the story is that we should not get angry when our life bread is constantly moved and hidden from us by some invisible higher power (hmm, equating a higher power to large companies isn't too disconcerting now, is it?). Instead, we should not only embrace the fact we are being messed with, but also have FUN with it.
I am a reader of self-help books. Additionally, I deal with change for a living (it's in my title and everything). I can, without a doubt, tell you that the goal of this book is not to teach the reader change management techniques for work or personal life, but rather it teaches that we should all be good little soldiers. It is antithetical to what most self-help books and books that address coping with change try to teach their readers. If you are looking for one of those types of books, save your $10-20 and look elsewhere. However, if you are looking for a way to control your large, disgruntled workforce, then by all means purchase 100 copies and distribute immediately as required reading to your employees. Those who read between the extra-large lines will most likely begin to seek employment elsewhere (who needs such rabble-rousers, anyway) and the rest will be pressured into submission (you hope).