Profile for blessed in all.... > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 30

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

blessed in all.... RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Nature's Plus Adult's Dental Care Probiotic Lozenges Peppermint -- 60 Lozenges
Nature's Plus Adult's Dental Care Probiotic Lozenges Peppermint -- 60 Lozenges
Offered by VitaCafe
Price: $19.99
8 used & new from $17.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A great oral probiotic!, February 18, 2014
I had Candida in my mouth, after fighting systemic Candida in my overall body and conquering that. The oral Candida caused me to have "dry mouth," which led to cavities, before I was told this was what was causing my dry mouth.

This supplement crowded out the fungus and, together with a completely sugar-free diet, remedied the situation.

Mantova Lemon Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 8.5-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 3)
Mantova Lemon Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 8.5-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 3)
Price: $19.92
3 used & new from $19.92

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous oil!, February 18, 2014
I love love love this lemon-flavored oil! I use it on tuna and it adds a delightful, gourmet taste instead of mayonnaise. I don't fry fish with it because olive oil shouldn't be used to cook with except at low temperatures...It develops free radicals, which cause oxidative stress to the body. Instead, I use olive oil drizzled on salads and other food items. This is a delicious oil!

Mantova Organic Flavored Balsamic Condiments, Pear, Raspberry, Fig and Pomegranate, 5 Pound
Price: $33.32
2 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gift for someone who enjoys healthy gourmet food~, February 18, 2014
I purchased this as a Christmas gift for my mom, and she went wild over it and loved it from the very first.

Kyjen 2815 LED Headband Adjustable Santa Hat for Dogs Holiday Pet Accessory, Large, Red
Offered by etopso
Price: $10.93
3 used & new from $6.38

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't stay on our dog's head, February 18, 2014
This is a very fun-looking gift, but it wouldn't stay on the head of our 85-pound yellow Labrador Retriever. We got 2 very quick snapshots of him after much effort working with him on it. He didn't like the hat and fought with us to keep it on his head. We didn't get a picture of it all lit up. A waste of money, for us.

Stonehouse Blood Orange Olive Oil - 500 ml
Stonehouse Blood Orange Olive Oil - 500 ml
Offered by Stonehouse California Olive Oil
Price: $20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic oil!, February 18, 2014
This is not an easy oil to find, but buy it when you do find it! It contains a wonderful infusion of subtle orange flavor. I love making tuna with it instead of mayonnaise, but it's also good poured on cooked chicken, fruit, almost anything! Will make sure not to run out of it because I use it regularly.

Pau DArco Tea Traditional Medicinals 16 Bag
Pau DArco Tea Traditional Medicinals 16 Bag
Offered by Nutrition Depot
Price: $6.88
38 used & new from $3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me heal from bronchitis, February 18, 2014
This tea helped me heal from bronchitis and was easy to prepare and drink. I will be purchasing it again to have on-hand for when I fall ill again.

PUMA - Kids Boys 8-20 Colorbolocked Tricot Pant, Black, Large
PUMA - Kids Boys 8-20 Colorbolocked Tricot Pant, Black, Large

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves these pants!, February 18, 2014
They're comfortable, well-fitting, and look great! He is very pleased with his Christmas gift. Just what he wanted, and the colors go well with many tops.

McCormick Mace, Fancy Ground East Indian, 15-Ounce Plastic Bottle
McCormick Mace, Fancy Ground East Indian, 15-Ounce Plastic Bottle
Price: $46.16

3.0 out of 5 stars Product great; packaging not great, February 18, 2014
I love the mace spice and it works for me in place of nutmeg, which I have to avoid ATM for a special, anti-inflammatory diet I am on temporarily.

What I don't love is that the packaging leaves something to be desired in terms of pouring the mace out. The side with the small holes for sprinkling doesn't permit the mace to flow smoothly through, so it jams all up and won't pour. The side with the big hole works if you want to use a measuring spoon. However, I want to just sprinkle the mace on cooking apple slices or other items, and it won't sprinkle; it falls out in big clumps (with some sprinkled mace, on the side).

I love McCormick spices, especially the fact that I can rely upon them to be gluten-free. So this review is mixed. I wish I could give the spice, itself, a "5-star" review, and the packaging suitability for the spice a "2-star" review.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Possibly a carcinogen...Breaks down the body! (seen in PubMed research abstracts), February 18, 2014
Hi, I was getting ready to order this for myself based upon the recommendations of the impressive book "World Without Cancer." I read the positive reviews here, and then I read "negu's" scathing criticisms of people who will take something into their bodies without reading the research directly. While I resented his nasty tone, I also thought I should take his advice.

I decided to read up what I could without having a medical license which provides access to all the article abstracts. Some abstracts were still available to me. Here is what I found, which was a mixed bag of findings:

[...] (also called "pangamic acid," or "dichloroacetate" in its synthesized version) demonstrates low-grade mutagenicity (in other words, "a probable carcinogen")

[...] The synthetic versions demonstrate "mutagenicity," and 90% of mutagenic substances are carcinogenic

[...] A synthetic derivative of B15, called "dipromonium," reduced or completely prevented any neurotoxic reactions to TB treatment

[...]Contributes to fatty liver!

[...] B15 reduced glutathione peroxidase activity in the body - which makes it harmful to us, because the glutathione peroxidase protects our cells from oxidative damage, and if we have lower levels of it, we sustain MORE oxidative damage! (faster aging....see below for more explanation)
[...] The different commercially-available forms of B15 were not consistent from one to another, and weren't consistent with the claims on their labels (but, this was in Canada in 1966! So, might be different now.)
[...]B15 "does not produce significant changes in short-term maximal treadmill performance" (which one would normally expect to happen if it really did increase oxygen to the body)

Other than this, there is precious little recorded at PubMed with abstracts available. The overwhelming majority of the research articles offered no abstracts, and thus must be chased down in their original journals, which aren't accessible for me.

So, the only positive effect that I was able to find was that B15 protects from neurotoxins from TB treatment. The negative effects include:

* a "probable" carcinogen (word used directly in the abstract - but again, this was tested with only the SYNTHETIC forms of the substance...The natural ones *might* be harmless for cancer...But we'll never know till they're actually tested, and the fact that the synthetic ones are probably carcinogenic doesn't encourage me to make myself a human guinea pig with the natural version.)
* contributes to fatty liver, which can be a killer.
* causes oxidation, which creates free radicals.

What do free radicals do? They cause:

* Deterioration of the eye lens, which contributes to blindness.
* Inflammation of the joints (arthritis).
* Damage to nerve cells in the brain, which contributes to conditions such as Parkinson's or Alzheimer's disease.
* Acceleration of the aging process.
* Increased risk of coronary heart disease, since free radicals encourage low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol to adhere to artery walls.
* Certain cancers, triggered by damaged cell DNA

(^^^^^^This is all from [...] - a webpage out of Amherst College discussing oxidative damage and free radicals)

So, if I ever get tuberculosis, I might consider B15 on a temporary basis to protect me from bad side-effects of the TB treatment.

But, even if I do get the amygdalin pills for cancer prevention (and I'm still reading up on those to try and make my decision), I've decided not to take the B15. Even if people feel immediate positive effects (which could be placebo, or not - and I don't discount the high healing value of the placebo effect!), longterm this looks like a dangerous thing to ingest, year-after-year. It seems to cause the whole body to break down from oxidative stress, and is a possible carcinogen.

(Disclaimer: I have not bought, nor taken, this product. I also know that Amazon will remove all the PubMed and other references. If you would like to see them for yourself, I searched PubMed under "pangamic acid" in quotes...Not reading the listings that said "no abstract available" but reading all of the others.)

So, my decision is made about this supplement. I want to thank "negu" for his/her challenge to read up on it. I was going to just go ahead and order it and begin taking it. Sometimes, it's necessary to look past a nasty delivery of a message, and see if there is any value in the message itself.

Virgin Extracts (TM) Pure Premium Freeze Dried Organic Black Chokeberry Powder Extract 36:1 Concentrate Chokeberries SuperFood (36 x Stronger) 16oz Pouch
Offered by BP Investments
Price: $46.99

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC polyphenols!!!, January 11, 2014
This is a superb antioxidant powder that has provided lots of powerful polyphenols for me. They have helped me to lose weight. Polyphenols feed the types of intestinal flora which assist with weight loss and are found in abundance in slender people. Here's some research published on PubMed, the most widely-respected compendium of medical research available in the U.S., on this topic: [...] I know it is also helping me to prevent cancer, as well! Now that I'm almost 50 years old, I really want to work hard to ensure a good cancer-prevention strategy, although I know there are no guarantees.

It's true what another commenter said that the powder "clumps up" in water. It is "lipophilic," meaning it "loves oil." It's not "hydrophilic" - it doesn't like water and doesn't like to be mixed with water. There are a few options for overcoming this:

1) whisk it into water-based beverage and drink quickly, immediately afterward
2) include it in a healthy shake such as a protein shake
3) what I do, since I'm taking coconut oil as well, is to melt the coconut oil in a glass, then add the black chokeberry powder. It mixes in beautifully smoothly, and I have a delicious coconut-and-berry flavored drink (although admittedly, in small volume!)

The fact that the black chokeberry doesn't like water isn't something that the commenter should complain about. It's just a built-in feature of the berry itself! Unless we would want the manufacturer to add in some type of additives and thus adulterate the product, and I most certainly don't! - then we should find ways to work around it, or not take the product.

Since black chokeberry is actually and quite honestly the best provider in its category of polyphenols that we know of, I'm going to stick with it! Here is a list of fruits and veggies acc. to their relative polyphenol content:

"FOOD SOURCES OF POLYPHENOLS

Thanks to a group of French scientists who compiled a polyphenol database containing 452 foods and 502 different types of polyphenols, we can now identify foods ranked best to least based on total amount of polyphenols per serving. This information was published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition.

The top 25 richest food sources of polyphenols (per serving) include:
•Red Wine
•Soy Yogurt
•Cocoa Powder
•Pure Pomegranate Juice
Honourable mentions also go to black olives, spinach, pecans, black beans, red onion, broccoli and soy milk."

(source: [...])

You may be surprised to see the black chokeberry above most or all of the other better-publicized sources of polyphenols that you have heard about!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3