Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th
Profile for R. Long > Reviews

Browse

R. Long's Profile

Customer Reviews: 41

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. Long "Tessie's Boy" RSS Feed (Philly)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
NeuroEnhance Natural Brain Function Booster Supplement for Memory, Focus, Mental Clarity & Cognitive Function Enhanced Ginkgo Biloba, St Johns Wort - Holistic Nootropics for Healthy Brain Cells
Offered by IWentPrime
Price: $21.95
5 used & new from $15.89

3.0 out of 5 stars Neither harmful nor helpful for me, April 8, 2016
I've been using these capsules regularly for about 3 weeks now. I haven't really noticed a difference or improvement in my faculties, and the capsule have an odd scent. I suppose as a placebo it has a positive effect, but it didn't work great for me. Your mileage may vary.

Vacation (2015) (BD) [Blu-ray]
Vacation (2015) (BD) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Ed Helms
Offered by actcdc
Price: $26.97
38 used & new from $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars So-So., November 7, 2015
It's okay. Not as a terrible as I expected, but it's not great either, nowhere near the level of the first Vacation (might be on par with Vegas Vacation, though). A lot cruder language than the original too, but hey, it is what it is. What really irritated me about this movie was one of the most annoying child performances I've seen in years, from the kid who played the little brother. I wanted to step on that kid's throat, even after the inevitable "oh-he's-not-so-bad" plot turn. And despite growing up with Clark for a dad, I don't think Rusty would've turned out to be as much of a schnook as Ed Helms portrays him here. Still, I admit I laughed here and there. Those who didn't grow up with the original series will probably have an easier time of watching.

Symphonized NRG Premium Genuine Wood In-ear Noise-isolating Headphones with Mic (White)
Offered by Symphonized
Price: $49.99
5 used & new from $22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great earbuds., February 9, 2015
After a couple days spent using them to try out all kinds of music, I can honestly say these have become my favorite earbuds of all the ones that I own. Great soundstage, powerful (but not muddy) bass. Excellent build quality, too; I much prefer the nylon cable over the rubberized coating on my EarPods. I love, love, love the 45 degree angled microphone jack; most earbud jacks are at a full right angle, or straight up and down which can cause it to bend in my pocket. I have small ears, so finding a good fit is sometimes problematic for me, but I haven't had any issues with these at all thus far as far as them slipping out or hurting my ear canals. Also, another reviewer wrote that it wasn't actually wood... well, obviously I can only speak for my own pair, but as far as I can tell, the housing is indeed genuine wood, and it definitely makes a difference in the acoustics. At the 25 bucks I paid, they are an absolute steal.

One thing though, before purchasing, make sure you're aware that these only come with a functional mic, NOT a remote (i.e. changing volume, skipping songs, etc.), so if you're not used to taking your phone or media player out of your pocket, that might be a dealbreaker. But if you value great sound quality over a little inconvenience, you can't go wrong here.

Orajel Baby Naturals Nighttime Teething Gel, 0.33 Oz
Orajel Baby Naturals Nighttime Teething Gel, 0.33 Oz
Price: $5.25
10 used & new from $5.25

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as effective on my son as Boiron's Camilla teething ..., February 7, 2015
Not as effective on my son as Boiron's Camilla teething relief, and the tube is extremely small so it doesn't last that long.

Bee Premium Playing Cards (Colors may vary)
Bee Premium Playing Cards (Colors may vary)
Offered by IntelliLabs™
Price: $5.75
93 used & new from $3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Either clarify the description or lower the price., February 7, 2015
The previous reviewer is 100% on point. From the item description and for the price, I thought I'd be receiving two decks of cards. Too bad I didn't see her review until too late. Not cool, Amazon. One star off for the misleading picture and description. As for the cards themselves, I've been using Bees exclusively since I was in high school; for my money, they're the best quality playing cards out there and remain a 5 star product. Average of 4 stars.

Nursery Fresh Refill for Diaper Genie and Munchkin Diaper Pails, 272 Count, 4 Pack
Price: $30.98
3 used & new from $25.40

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly cheaper than the Diaper Genie refills, fits our ..., October 19, 2014
Slightly cheaper than the Diaper Genie refills, fits our Diaper Genie II as well as the regular refills. They do not contain the smell as well or as long as the regular refills, however, which knocks off a couple stars. They'll do if you're on a budget.

Revolver [Mono LP]
Revolver [Mono LP]
Price: $21.84
42 used & new from $15.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple does it right on the 3rd go-round, October 19, 2014
This review is from: Revolver [Mono LP] (Vinyl)
Absolutely amazing remastering job. After listening to customer complaints since the remastered stereo LPs were released, Apple has really upped its game by committing to an all analog process, remastering straight from the master tapes, pressing all the records at one company to allow for better quality control.

The packaging is nearly identical to the original, right down to the yellow and black Parlophone label on the record itself (only difference is the minor addition of a Sony Music/ATV credit). There is a booklet which explains the intent of keeping the packaging as close to the original release as possible. The vinyl itself is beautifully thick and heavy (as was the original vinyl), well protected in a white antistatic sleeve. I own a pressing from 1966 and compared them side by side and there is no contest: this new release blows the old one away in terms of sound quality, even accounting for the wear and scratches accumulated from nearly 50 years of (careful) play.

I own nearly all of the original UK pressings of the Beatles albums in mono and they're in very good shape for their age, so while I was following the news about the various remasterings, and I was happy Apple was going to make the Beatles' music available again in the right way for newer listeners, I was skeptical about my own need for re-purchasing anything. But after taking a chance and trying this new release of Revolver out, I'm on board, and I'll probably buy the box set.

Take it from me: if you're on the fence about getting these new remastered mono vinyls... don't be. Short of a complete stereo remix of the original multitrack tapes, I think this is the best the Beatles' music will ever sound.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2014 6:40 PM PST

Looking For Richard
Looking For Richard
DVD
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Al Pacino's "Looking For Richard" (1996), February 25, 2014
This review is from: Looking For Richard (Amazon Video)
An elegant yet earthy breakdown of both Shakespeare's greatest villain and the play in which he stars, Al Pacino's "Looking For Richard" has been a favorite of mine ever since I was a 13 year old kid just experiencing Shakespeare for the first time. The main part of this documentary concerns Pacino and his troupe of actors breaking down and analyzing the text of Richard III, which, okay, sounds boring on paper if you're not into the nuts and bolts of scene analysis (being quite a nerd, I enjoyed it), but this film also covers much more than that. Pacino covers the question of Shakespeare's lasting appeal, the reluctance of many American performers to tackle his plays, the ins-and-outs of Shakespearean language, the more complex aspects of being a stage actor (including the aforementioned scene breakdown and analysis), just to name a few things. What Pacino really accomplishes is that he gives his film the same vibrancy and contentiousness that has kept Shakespeare's works fresh over five centuries. During the table read, the actors are not debating politely over their characters; they get heated, engaged, opinionated. Even the man-on-the-street interviews have a certain fire to them, particularly one older man who talks passionately about the power of language and how the language we use affects our treatment of other people. Heady stuff, but never boring. Peppered within all of this are fully mounted scenes from a handsome film production that could have (and I wish would have) been, with Pacino as Richard, Kevin Spacey as Buckingham, Alec Baldwin as Clarence, and so on.

Rather than simply being the droning, bloodless insider look at actors endlessly debating a 400 year old text it could have been, "Looking For Richard" is a lively, smart, surprisingly funny examination of Shakespeare's work. (And, as always, Winona Ryder is hot.)

Death Magnetic [ 2 LP ] [Vinyl]
Death Magnetic [ 2 LP ] [Vinyl]
Offered by newbury_comics
Price: $39.99
20 used & new from $11.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Good return to form, October 23, 2013
Good return to form for the metal gods. It seems to have been their last decent gasp, though, judging by Lulu. Maybe they have another good one left in them, check back in another decade.

Also, get the vinyl or "acquire" the Guitar Hero III version if you want a good listening experience. The CD mastering is as bad as everyone says it is.

The Thing (2011) [Blu-ray]
The Thing (2011) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Price: $9.49
30 used & new from $4.44

2.0 out of 5 stars Bare minimum required (much like the script)., September 14, 2013
I saw that this movie currently had a 4-1/2 star rating. I would rather have just rated it two stars and been on my merry way, but Amazon needs at least twenty words about it. Here they are:

This movie sucked; more than that, it was pointless. The Thing was a perfectly self-contained story; it didn't need a prequel/reboot/whatever. And it certainly didn't need CGI. The crew in this version are idiots, and their dynamic didn't work nearly as well with the inclusion of females as with the all-male crew. If you're going to remake/prequelize/whatever a film, do something completely different without pissing on its memory, as John Carpenter did for Howard Hawks' original. Don't do this.

Wow, that's about eighty words there. Four times more than it deserved. One star for the film, one star for Mary Elizabeth Winstead's performance, who is a talented actress in other films and certainly gives it the old college try here, but it just isn't enough to save this mess. Kurt Russell she ain't. Watch the 1982 version again instead.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5