Profile for Lily > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lily "Lily" RSS Feed (Massachusetts USA)

Page: 1 | 2
BEFORE and AFTER GETTING YOUR PUPPY
BEFORE and AFTER GETTING YOUR PUPPY
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Doc is In., August 29, 2013
Though I did grow up with a dog and most of my family members own dogs, I do not, and began fostering puppies with the enthusiasm and naivete of a new parent. I now have multiple large breed pups 10 wks - 5 months coming and going biweekly and have the privilege of learning very quickly what techniques work. This is one of several books I've read to assist me in this venture and while reading it, I kept thinking, "Yeah, I get what you're doing here." I believe he is deliberately trying to put a bit of fear into people to motivate them to be stricter with training simply because the majority of new puppy owners aren't at all knowledgeable and make the classic mistakes repeatedly. He all but admits this when he says he tells us to give the dog three treats every time they eliminate outside because if he tells us to give one treat, we might not. This can be extended to the advice about meeting hundreds of new people constantly, or having meet the puppy parties, or NEVER allowing a single accident in the house, or that they're basically ruined beyond hope if you don't do xyz by xyz weeks. It's hyperbole because, like many schoolteachers will tell you that the kids aren't the problem, the parents are, vets know the same about dogs and owners.

That said, while an X pen seems to work for some people, I would never use one. I feel that crate training done VERY strictly and properly for a few days to two weeks, depending on how much of a fast learner the pup is, allows the dog to be trusted in a puppy proof, gated room, very gradually extending to the rest of the house. Using the puppy pads has, in every instance that I've observed, trains dogs to eliminate on any and every towel, sweatshirt, rag, or paper left on the floor. If you are someone who cannot afford a dog walker and whose small puppy will be left alone upwards of 5 hours at a time, I guess it's more humane to teach them this method, though I'd want to unteach it in a large dog in a hurry. I'm not a fan of visiting homes where the darling Chihuahuas don't eliminate outdoors and we all get to appreciate the vision and aroma of their waste- 100x worse than a filthy cat litter box out of sight in a bathroom somewhere. Anyway, that's my deal, and clearly it's controversial.

What I got from this book was valuable- socialize, socialize, socialize, don't be a pushover when it comes to housebreaking, and be wary of communicable diseases. And I will always appreciate a positive reinforcement training book However, I can't stress enough that if you have a dog, want a dog, like dogs, read Culture Clash as well.

Nordic Ware Platinum Collection Beehive Cake Pan
Nordic Ware Platinum Collection Beehive Cake Pan
Price: $33.99
25 used & new from $32.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bee-utiful!, November 12, 2012
I ordered this for my daughter's second birthday. I did not use the recipe that it comes with because I was short on time- I used a butter cake mix and put frosting in between the two sides and around the side, sprinkled with yellow sugar and added fondant flowers and bee decorations. It was great! I used Pillsbury baker's spray and nothing stuck at all. Can't wait to use it again.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Positive Discipline for Children with Special Needs: Raising and Teaching All Children to Become Resilient, Responsible, and Respectful
by Jane Nelsen
Price: $14.76
46 used & new from $8.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, but..., August 17, 2012
In theory, this book is wonderful and I certainly encourage parents and anyone who works with children with special needs to read it. There is indeed a lack of practical information on this subject and this is a very kind, positive method.

However, I do feel a little more hopeless as the day to day reality of being a parent of a wonderful, sweet, bright seven year old with multiple disabilities overwhelms me...and unlike the teachers of a child in the book who refused to be taught, I can't demand to be relieved by another parent after an hour because my patience has run out! I also can't let her run into the parking lot, lay on the floor of the grocery store throwing a tantrum for half an hour, physically harm other people or animals, not sit in a booster seat, or take an hour of negotiating and empathizing to leave the playground when it's 90 degrees out and naptime for her sister...all this, and cook and clean and work well enough at my own job to not get fired. What I'm saying is that I constantly encounter situations where it is totally unrealistic to not use physical force (and by that I mean restraining or carrying, not corporal punishment), threats, bribery or time outs to protect herself, others, or to be able to get on with our lives in a way that maintains some semblance of a predictable family life for myself, my spouse and our younger, typical child....and my own livelihood. The real world, and the rest of your life, will not wait for you to spend hour upon hour trying to break through to your beloved child, despite how beneficial it would almost certainly be if we all could devote our lives to doing so, 24/7.

And so while I will "take the bits that work, leave the rest" I am once again left feeling alone and isolated in this world of the relationship to my sweet girl, who is so incredibly stubborn that these techniques had me alternately laughing at the simplistic idealism and wistful, praying that it could make even a dent in the incredible challenges that we are presented with every time we want, OR NEED, her to do something she is not 100% thrilled about doing. I'm sure this would work much better in a school setting wnd indeed her school is very positive, but she stills has plenty of difficulty there when she is not getting her way, despite the option of the relaxation area, etc (things like wanting to have hot lunch instead of packed lunch and she can bring down the whole cafeteria)... What I'm saying is that there are a lot of great ideas that I really, really wish worked for us.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2015 1:09 PM PDT

Heritage Lace Tangled Web 38-Inch Wide by 84-Inch Drop Scenic Panel, Black
Heritage Lace Tangled Web 38-Inch Wide by 84-Inch Drop Scenic Panel, Black
Price: $18.99
8 used & new from $18.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, May 17, 2012
We received many comliments from trick or treaters on this, which I hung just inside the doorway. This was also useful to keep peering eyes out of my house when hung in the glass/screen door.

Department 56 Spooky Sidewalk Luminaries
Department 56 Spooky Sidewalk Luminaries
Offered by Chesterton Manor
Price: $15.00
3 used & new from $15.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Sigh...., May 17, 2012
Warning, these are teeny tiny, meant for one of those little displays. Yes, I'm the idot who thought they were full sized for regular walkway use and it wasn't worth the time, money and effort to return them. So maybe I'll have to start one of those little collections!

Fabric Softener Basil 32 Ounces
Fabric Softener Basil 32 Ounces
Offered by Juvolicious
Price: $18.83
37 used & new from $7.58

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh..., May 17, 2012
Not great. I think the ecover works better. A load of towels would require two capfuls to be soft enough for me.

Nike Girls 12 Months-6X Logo Painter Cap, Assorted Colors (4-6X (One Size), White)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cute!, May 17, 2012
Adorable, just a little big for my 6 yr old but she has a relatively small head :). I think she's 13th percentile or something...

13 Things that Don't Make Sense: The Most Baffling Scientific Mysteries of Our Time
by Michael Brooks
Price: $12.20
152 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, inspiring read, May 17, 2012
I enjoyed this book because of its key message: question everything (and no, I don't have that bumper sticker ;) There is truth to the idea that the sciences have become similar to religion or politics in their immediate and harsh renunciation of anyone who dares to go against the most mainstream, widely accepted theories. Of course, this is not to say that simply being a contrarian or crackpot should earn one an equal voice or that we should respect anti-scientific nonsense like creationism or alien abductions, but where there is reasonable wiggle room for alternate explanations, such as dark matter, an open mind is necessary for progress. We as a species have NEVER been 100% correct about our theories of the universe, our medical treatments, our understanding of biology and physics has constantly evolved and improved, and we have no right to pronounce ourselves infallible today. It takes an average of 17 years for medical practice to catch up with medical research simply because it is so difficult to admit, oops, we were wrong. Such is the case with cholesterol/atherosclerosis right now, and certainly astronomy and quantum physics have their own versions of this stubborn, faith-based rather than evidence based attachment to incorrect beliefs which may be stalling human progress.

That said, do we accept every word of this book as gospel without following up with our own reading and education? Curious minds would never be satisfied to accept one author's word, and though he is very well read and educated and provides sources for most of his assertions, the entire point is to spark your thirst for more knowledge. If you, like me, read that Valium is a placebo and raise an eyebrow, plug diazepam into pubmed and spend a while perusing the abstracts to decide for yourself, then this book was a success. In the anti intellectual environment we live in today, the fact that so many readers are interested in the sciences and even knowledgeable enough to love or hate this book is a comfort to me. Let the love of learning prevail always.

POLYWOOD Outdoor Furniture Classic Adirondack Chair Seat Cushion, Bravada Salsa stripe Sunbrella (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't get them wet., December 26, 2011
The color and pattern is pretty, and they're comfy enough to sit on. Fit my chairs well.

Then it rained. Call me crazy, but an OUTDOOR chair cushion shouldn't hold water better than a sponge. Takes DAYS to dry out. Only buy them if you're putting them under a roof.

Ladies' Insulated Jacket
Ladies' Insulated Jacket

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, October 27, 2011
This review is from: Ladies' Insulated Jacket
This is just a very plain, cheap looking and feeling jacket. The velcro on the cuffs contributes to the crappy feeling. It also looks like it "slants" so that the front is shorter than the back. Medium, which I always take, was baggy and shapeless.

Page: 1 | 2