Profile for C. E. Lawrenson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. E. Lawrenson "hela_monster" RSS Feed (San Francisco, CA United States)

iRobot Roomba 4210 Discovery Vacuuming Robot, White
iRobot Roomba 4210 Discovery Vacuuming Robot, White

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm writing this review while my Roomba vaccuums!, September 22, 2005
How many hours of my life have I whittled away vacuuming?!? Enough said! This thing is the best invention since sliced bread. I push the magic "clean" button before my family gets home, and then: wallah! the house is clean. It looks like I've been slaving over a clean house all day. It's wonderful to clean up after a toddler in a highchair as well. So get a dog, or get a roomba.

The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers: Gentle Ways to Stop Bedtime Battles and Improve Your Child's Sleep
by Elizabeth Pantley
Price: $12.20
351 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank god this book exists!!!, May 31, 2005
I read "The no-cry sleep solution", and loved it, but I was needed something for my now toddler who is presenting a million new problems. The most wonderful thing about this book is that it asks you questions in a non-judgemental way that then allow you to assess your situation, and decide if you really need to make a change, then it gives you a variety of solutions. The author points out that there is no one size fits all solution, and then she goes on to give you many gentle and loving options. If the cry it out method worked for you, you wouldn't be reading this review, now would you??? I'm not aware of any sleep books that deal specifically with older children, other than this . All the ones I know of deal with 6 month old babies, and I found most to be unacceptable for a toddler dealing with separation anxiety. This book however, talks about many individual sleep problems including separation anxiety, how to move to their own bed, nightmares, waking too early, daylight savings time, teething, non-nappers, trips to the parent's bed... The list goes on and on. One more wonderful thing about this book is that the author did more of a scientific study on the matter. She interviewed over a 1000 families, and then had over 200 "test mommies" to work out her sleep theories. She also refers to the Sleep in America polls, and refers to the current leading sleep expert at Stanford (not Ferber). Instead of just giving her opinions on what worked for her own children (she has 4), she actually asks other families and does research. Despite my own personal objections to Ferberizing, she makes no judgements like that, everything she says is loving and encouraging.

Just for the record, you're not alone. Here's an excerpt from the book taken out of the Sleep in America Poll:

Toddlers wake up:

3 or more times a night (4%)

2 x a night (5%)

1 x a night (38%)

in other words, 47% of toddlers wake up at least once per night and need a parent to fall back asleep. This is including all sleep techniques.

Preschoolers:

3 or more times a night (2%)

2 x a night (3%)

1 x a night (31%)

in other words, 36% of preschoolers wake up at least once per night and need a parent to fall back asleep.

She then goes on to say that "it is perfectly natural, absolutely normal, and totally expected for your toddler or preschooler to wake up in the night and need your help to fall back asleep. Sleeping all through the night, every night, without needing a parent's assistance is like learning to walk or talk or drink from a cup - all kids get there, but they do so at their own speed, a little at a time, and in their own unique way. I promise I won't leave you dangling there, just because something is normal doesn't mean you have to simply live with it until things change on their own."

I won't lie, if you want immediate results in a matter of days, this is not the book for you. However, if you'd like to teach your child to sleep in a loving, gentle, compassionate (and thus slow) way, this book will help you get there. I've been practicing the ideas in this book for a few days, and already I'm seeing some improvements. It has many creative ways to communicate with your child your wishes for sleep. Like - make a book with pictures of your bedtime routine, and a picture of your child sleeping in his own crib, then cuddled by his parents in the morning...

Good luck, and hope you get to sleeping better!

-Charis
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 15, 2014 7:58 AM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a fabulous product!, December 15, 2004
Sorry, but the only other review of this product (which I have used for years) is absurd. Sure, you can do some bizzare urban legend test to see if the lipstick turns black, and then say "ah, it contains lead". Or... You could just look at Burt's Bees website, and see for yourself that it does *not* contain lead. In fact, here you go:

Ingredients:

Sunflower oil, castor oil, beeswax, coconut oil, candelilla wax, lanolin, cocoa seed butter, tocopheryl acetate & tocopherol (vitamin E), peppermint oil, carnauba wax, rosemary leaf oil. May contain: iron oxide, mica, carmine, titanium dioxide.

Oh yes, and check out [...] to see for yourself that the black smear test has been debunked. Now that that's done with, this product is amazing. I've even tried out the really expensive lipsticks, and they're no comparison. I like it so much that I've given some to my mother and sister. They agree that it's the best lipstick ever. The cool thing about it is that when the color fades (as all lipsticks eventually do) it doesn't turn some funky color. It just fades to a nice sheer color. I love the minty tingle when you first apply it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Best baby socks EVER!, September 30, 2004
I first received these as a gift when I was pregnant (in the stripe pattern). They come in a cute little egg carton, so it makes a great gift. I liked them so much once I had my baby that I went out and bought another pack in the dot pattern.

* these are the only socks that stay on all day, I've since given away all other socks my baby has because they fall off or he kicks them off after 5 minutes.

* now that he's discovered his feet and is putting his feet in his mouth, he's facinated by the contrast on the socks (more so than just bare feet).

* the bottom of the socks have rubberized treads so that when the baby is in a standing up toy, they have traction.

* these socks have worked from birth to 8 months so far, and I think he'll wear them longer if his legs don't get too pudgy. they start out as knee socks and then become ankle socks. This is because they have lycra in them, what a smart idea! It's also what keeps the socks on.

* I can't even count how many compliments my son has gotten on his cute little socks.

* yes, they are pricey, but they are worth every penny. I'd even pay more for them because no other socks stay on his feet.

* the socks were designed by a mom in San Francisco, so I like the idea of supporting parent designed products.

JJ Cole Premaxx Sling Carrier - New Edition Red Orange
JJ Cole Premaxx Sling Carrier - New Edition Red Orange

5.0 out of 5 stars best sling out there!, August 18, 2004
I've been using this sling since my baby was 2 weeks old. I am short and busty (5'3") and I have no problem using the sling. My husband is 6' and it adjusts perfectly for both of us. This sling is designed to put the baby into the fetal position, my son loves it. I wear it all the time and he falls asleep in it. He's now 4-1/2 months old, in a month I can use it as a hip carrier, but right now, he's still laying down in it. Like everything, it takes awhile for your baby to get used to something new. I live in downtown San Francisco, and it's not very baby friendly. The great part about this is that the baby is so well hidden that it looks like I'm just wearing a messenger bag. I feel alot safer than putting him in a stroller. Plus, you can fit diapers in the bottom zippered pocket, and your cell phone and keys in the top pocket. One piece of advice for wearing this is to put the sling over your shoulder bone, not on the muscle, or it will hurt after wearing it more than a few minutes. I've tried a few other slings out there and this is the best in my opinion. I cant' even count how many people ask me about it when they realize it's a sling. And babystyle sells this for $10 more than amazon :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2007 12:19 PM PST

Snoozer Full Body Pillow
Snoozer Full Body Pillow
Offered by Quidsi Retail LLC
Price: Click here to see our price
8 used & new from $53.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't sleep without it!, December 26, 2003
I bought this pillow at 14 weeks pregnant, I'm now 25. I've travelled without it and am always kicking myself for not bringing it along with me. 3 pillows do not substitute having this thing, even 3 comfortable pillows and a good mattress. When I sleep without this, I end up on my back (I'm a chronic back sleeper), then I have major aches and pains. This pillow is the only thing that allows me to comfortably sleep on my left side, which they say is best for the baby, and best for you. An added bonus is that I don't snore anymore (my husband thus loves it too). The cost of this pillow is high, and there is a cheaper version on Amazon, but I read the reviews and the other/cheaper version had a scratchy pillowcase and was a firmer pillow overall. This one is synthetic down, so you can move it around to suit your needs. I also sleep with it upside down that what is pictured here. It gives better leg support, and I didn't want to give up my normal down pillow. (I know, fussy fussy) I personally think that it's worth every penny. If you can get a good night's rest, it makes your pregnancy that much easier. Another thing that I've found helps with sleeping on your side is one of those featherbed mattress toppers. You can get them for under $100 at Bed Bath and Beyond. It helps with the added pressure on your shoulders and hips that pregnancy adds.

What to Expect When You're Expecting
What to Expect When You're Expecting
by Arlene Eisenberg
2040 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Better books are out there :), November 4, 2003
I agree with the other reviewers that this book should be called "What to worry about when you're expecting". It's great to have a guidebook that answers all your questions about what's going on, but I found that it worried me more than I should have. This is my first pregnancy, I'm now 18 weeks. Nobody has a perfect pregnancy, but the worst thing you want to do is go "hhhmmm, I wonder why I'm having these symptoms" and then look up to read that it could be nothing or it could be some horrible complication that you might need to go to the ER over. Pregnant women are like sponges soaking up information, at least all first time mothers that I talked to are.
Furthermore, the maternity clothing advice was awful!!! Let me give you an example: it says your husbands wardrobe is your best friend "take an oversized t-shirt and put a belt around the bottom of your belly for an interesting effect" Ok ladies, I don't know about you, but I'm trying my damdest not to be frumpville. One word for you: EBAY. They have really cute maternity clothes for really cheap. Even Amazon has cute maternity clothes if you can afford it.
The other thing I have to talk about is this godawful "best odds diet". Nobody who has had morning sickness (as I did) can even imagine sticking to a diet this regimental. My doctor told me to eat whatever went down and stayed down. I'm trusting my doctor, not some book author. You do your best, and that's all you can do. But you don't want a guilt trip from a book.
I shelved this book. There's much better ones out there. Even the pregnancy book that my doctor gave me from the hospital was better than this.