Profile for A S M > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A S M RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
PHILIPS In-Ear Headphones SHE9850
PHILIPS In-Ear Headphones SHE9850
5 used & new from $130.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Hey Philips, why did you discontinue these headphones?, December 15, 2014
A little light on the base department at lower volumes, but the sound is fantastically crisp and clear. Vocal reproduction seems precise and rich to my ears. Some Hip Hop, Metal and Dance music come across weak at lower volumes(but you'll be cranking those genres anyway), Jazz and Classical make themselves truly felt. These can compete with some over the ear headphones, and are probably better than 90% of in ear models on the market.

The industrial design is amazing, the clear/dark metal shells make them look like a prop from a sci-fi movie. The only real bad part, Philips doesn't make them anymore, and you'll probably have to track down dead stock. That will probably net you a nice discount on the original too high price.

I have one serious complaint, sometimes the cable transmits more microphonic contacts than a headphone at this price point should in my opinion. It's not enough to distract you, but it's enough to not get 5 stars.

SEAGATE Barracuda XT 3.0 TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive for PC and Mac - Retail Kit ST330005N1A1AS-RK

1.0 out of 5 stars They make lovely industrial chic paper weights on your desk, December 15, 2014
These drives fail right after the manufacturers warranty expires, I have two dead ones sitting on my desk right now. I picked up these Seagate drives after years of misery with Western Digital drives, hoping to have a better experience with another big brand in the HDD world. Instead I am looking at 6+ TB of dust collectors on my desk. These are garbage, skip it the high capacity drive and go with an SSD with no moving parts, it'll be faster and as long as you buy one with a good controller chip, it should be rock solid.

Epson WorkForce  All-In-One Wireless Color Inkjet Printer WF-2540, Black
Epson WorkForce All-In-One Wireless Color Inkjet Printer WF-2540, Black
Offered by MichaelElectronics2 (No Tax Everywhere)
Price: $83.88
72 used & new from $49.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I hope you like buying replacement ink all the time., December 9, 2014
Printer is fine, it prints with pretty good results for the price, but the epson inks are too expensive and after printing out a handful of photo prints on photo paper will quickly require replacement. I find I have to swap in a new cartridge once a week. So that in the course of a month I am replacing the entire ink supply. I print up a few documents and photos regularly for work, and it seems like I buy ink more often than paper.

Gigablock CIS CISS Continuous Ink Supply System For Epson Expression XP 200 XP 300 XP 400 WF-2530 WF-2540
Offered by Gigablockshop
Price: $49.99
3 used & new from $44.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money on this., December 9, 2014
I read negative reviews of products all the time, often I think the person writing the review must have some kind of deficiency if they couldn't get their tuner to stop flashing 12:00 and decided it deserved a one star review, even though they reported the rest of the product worked great. This review is not like those reviews, I wish there had only been some little bother that kept me from not paying too much for replacement ink cartridges. but alas, this was a case of a product that simply refused to work as intended and described.

Allow me to state plainly that this product does not work at all. Indeed, I followed the instructions in painstaking detail, re-read the instructions several times, looked up videos on youtube to make sure I wasn't missing a step or doing something wrong. The Epson printer will not recognize the cartridges at all, no matter what one does. After resetting, removing replacing with the real cartridges. Powering on or off, the only real result was that the scanner started giving error messages. The instructions say wait a few minutes and try again, re-install press firmly, I did all of this repeatedly and absolutely nothing worked. The printer would simply not recognize the the cartridge.

I would like to add that I assumed this product would be finicky to instal and run, but that it would likely work.

I was installing the ink supply into a brand new WF-2540 printer with no software updates(the instructions are very clear that software updates are bad). I installed the epson ink to initialize the printer exactly like the instructions, and comments from other users around the internet specified. The printer was powered off, I installed the ink supply feeder hoses as per the instructions. I troubleshooted installing the system for the better part of a day, and no possible money savings on ink can ever give that time back to me. There is no technical support with this product, the instructions helpfully refer you to your dealer for assistance. All I can say is good luck, as there is no contact information in the package for anyone.

I'm throwing this piece of garbage in the trash were it belongs, it's not even worth the time and money shipping it back, I hope the manufacturer gets banned from amazon, because this product is criminal to sell. Also, I wish amazon would let us give negative stars on a product, this one deserves it.

The Art of the Tailor
The Art of the Tailor
by Robert; MacLaren, M. (editor) Doyle
17 used & new from $73.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but flawed, March 27, 2013
This review is from: The Art of the Tailor (Hardcover)
First off, let me say that you can and should get this book directly from the author for about $30 bucks.

It's a massive 500+ page tome, no joke about the shipping fees with this cowboy. Men's tailored garments are covered in almost excruciating detail, covering everything from tights and medieval hose to modern jacket construction. If you can't find it in the pages of this book than it's likely not relevant to the subject or does not exist.

The text is loaded with historical context and illustrations, but that is also where the problems come in. Many of the illustrations are historic and reproduced so small that they are little more than thumbnail pictures. The same goes for the pattern drafts included in the book. Tiny little drafting diagrams, a few of which are just on the edge of being legible. All the historical context eventually overwhelms the functional aspect of the text and bogs the reader down with constant references to other texts or circles of chapter jumping reminiscent of a Choose Your Own Adventure novella. The writing is also slightly dry, even if your interested in the subject. In many ways the book is like two collage courses rolled into one text book. On one hand you have an excellent history of tailoring lecture and then there are parts of the book that are like a lab course. The problem for me is that they are not discreet sections but rather constantly muscling in on each other. You go from reading about the history of trousers to being neck deep in outdated trouser drafts without blinking.

All that aside this is a great and very detailed book, with not much being left out. I would not recommend this as a first book on the subject, nor is it exactly a construction manual. The information about garment construction is pretty good, but the books format limits the accessibility of that information. The draft instructions are also pretty much historic in every sense and do not conform to modern aesthetics or proportion. To get the most out of this book you will to have a background in tailoring otherwise you might find yourself wading very deep in too much information.

This book is a must if you're in the business.

Metric Pattern Cutting for Menswear
Metric Pattern Cutting for Menswear
Price: $28.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, March 25, 2013
Properly reviewing a pattern making book is difficult and in my opinion requires that you have made all or most of the patterns in the book. Counting previous editions, I can safely say I have made most of the patterns in this book. I have used it at collage and professionally. I have come to consider this book a valuable resource.

Compared to previous editions, this one is excellent. Gone is the section on adapting men's patterns for women's wear, which properly was a waste of ink. Back is the slim fit shirt(called 'tailored' now) which inexplicably went missing in the third edition. The structure of the book has changed extensively to reflect the emphasis of athletic and street wear in modern menswear. T-shirts and jeans up at the front of the book with the more traditional tailored jacket hiding nearer the back. This edition also has fewer different collar styles, but the core shapes are here. It shouldn't be hard to come up with your own style lines, even for relative beginners.

The patterns are rather basic, but the idea is that you can modify them to get any kind of styling you want. The range of patterns is pretty extensive and yields enough to meet the needs of the average guy's rather rudimentary wardrobe. There is no hand holding though, if you don't have any imagination, you will find the drafts leave you a little short. If your looking for a complete cook book, this isn't it. The book only teaches pattern drafting, no sewing or design, you will need a complete repertoire of design skills to go from concept to a finished garment.

One of my few complaint with this book and all it's editions, although it is getting regularly revised, it's in a way that is inconsistent and somewhat arbitrary. Tips get added in one edition only to be gone the next. A useful pattern or collar draft will disappear, only to be replaced by extensive instructions dealing with kimono sleeves(not something I would consider generally relevant to menswear). You get the idea, I'm sure. I get a sense that this is an attempt at keeping up with fashion trends. Yet fashion changes so much so quickly, that any book can't help but be out of date by the time it's printed. I feel with this edition the Author has taken an important step and accepting that the book needs to focus on communicating the basics and let the end user be the arbiter of fashion and style.

Now, having gone digital, page count became less of a factor. I would have liked to see all the information from previous editions made available(not everyone has the privilege of owning several editions like I do). The users of books like this can only benefit from comprehensive perspective even if some information is less than relevant. Also for true beginners an introduction to drafting might be beneficial.

Every so often I read reviews for metric pattern making books with unhelpful complaints regarding use of the metric system. Many people in the English speaking world use either the Imperial or Metric systems to measure, both systems are good. For pattern making I personally feel metric is better. I was raised on imperial, still have trouble with converting temperatures to Celsius from time to time, but when I make a patten I flip my measuring tape over to the metric side. I'm no math wizard and I like that I can do all the arithmetic right off the top of my head, whereas with imperial I'm sometimes counting on my fingers with all the fractions.

If your thinking of switching to metric for pattern making, I would suggest tracking down all the metric drafting supplies first, as they can be difficult to find in the US(availability on amazon can be sporadic at best). I buy mine from Japan as they usually have the best tools of this sort. Prices with shipping can be tough, but finding them at a local craft shop is probably impossible. You will definitely want to track down a metric grading ruler(clear with red grid pattern) get one that is at least 50cm long, so you can tackle most of the layout without switching rulers. Although you can find them with both Metric and Imperial, I prefer to have mine only Metric.

The back section of this book has a small section that's an overview of software programs available for the fashion industry. From time to time I see reviews where this is viewed as a waste of space. I would remind potential buyers that this is a textbook, and isn't geared towards the dilettante home sewing enthusiast that might want to make a pattern once every couple years. It's a book for training professionals preparing to enter a very technical field. When this section first appeared in one of the previous editions, it was probably the only place students could find such itroductory information. It is only an introduction, as most programs like Gerber would need an entire class devoted to them if you wanted to learn anything really useful.

Wow, that is a massive review. I hope this is helpful for some people unsure about taking the plunge into metric pattern making, if you gather the tools ahead of time, you will find the transition easier and rewarding.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2014 3:42 PM PST

Bodum Chambord Hotel 8 Cup Stainless Steel French Press Coffeemaker, 1.0 l, 34-Ounce.
Offered by Featured Brands
Price: $79.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, February 14, 2013
If your looking at this it's probably because your a long time french press brewer and sick of replacing glass beakers due to regular breakage, it was almost an annual event in my house. We could have celebrated a holiday around it, perhaps a new event for Festivus.

That and the assumption that Bodum was a reputable manufacturer of quality products, is why I paid for this product.

Initially, I was very happy with my purchase. The press did exactly what I wanted it to do, survived the rigors the morning coffee ritual threw at it. Then inevitably came the drop off the counter, no big deal; or so I thought.

In fact it turned out that there was some damage to the lid. The small plastic retainer clip that acts as a guide and keeps the two elements of the lid together was broken. Thinking back to the drop, I have trouble understanding exactly how that part of the press came to be damaged. This wasn't a big deal though, Bodum sells replacement parts, I should be able to order a new one.

This is the point where this french press gets demoted to a single star(from five), and it's an entirely avoidable demotion.

The breakage happened about six months ago. I tried to find relevant product codes in the accompanying paper work, there were none to be found. I looked on all of Bodum's US and International English language online shops for a replacement part, there were none that I could find. At this point I figured I had done my due diligence trying to sort this out on my own, and I sent an email to Bodum customer service...

Nothing, not even an "I'm sorry, we don't have a part for that" response. My wife and I have sent several emails, not a single automated response. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a basic canned response for such a simple request.

I'm not even upset, just very disappointed in Bodum. I wasn't looking for a free replacement part, I was willing to purchase a new lid assembly if one was available. Even an "I'm sorry that product is no longer supported" would have been fine. I can only assume all the emails are just hitting the old circular file in server space.

So, I would recommend purchasing a similar product from another manufacturer(at a probably lower price) instead of paying the Bodum tax, because you're not going to get any value for paying that bodum tax.

Safe House
Safe House
DVD
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars almost, September 9, 2012
This review is from: Safe House (Amazon Instant Video)
I found Safe House to be a cumbersome and predictable spy thriller.

The pacing is best described as bipolar, going from hectic action to glacial monotony like someone was flipping a coin to decide how a shot should be paced. I am sure someone thought the slower parts were supposed to build tension; except they don't. Mostly because the movie telegraphs all of it's moves like it's painting by numbers. It's not that the script is really, really bad, I just feel like it's trying to be way more sophisticated than it actually is. You get the distinct impression that they really want to surprise you, but the only way you could be surprised is if you slept through the middle of the movie, which is entirely plausible as there will certainly be times when you will get bored.

The acting isn't bad, but at no point is it amazing. Reynolds certainly delivers as the in over his head CIA drone, but sadly Denzel seems to be partially phoning it in. Denzel's character is supposed to be some kind genius rouge super spy, but at no point in the movie are you getting that OMG he IS Keyser Soze and Jason Bourne moment. I kept hoping everything happening in the movie was just in Matt's(reynolds) head because Frost(Denzel) has him on a Machiavellian mental lock down, but the script never really explores this. When they bring Frost in for interrogation, I was thinking he would start controlling everyone like Christopher Walken's performance in Suicide Kings.

According to this movie the very first thing they do in a clandestine CIA interrogation is water-board you, and maybe they do. Except in this movie the whole scene is so out of place you can't help but think they originally had a completely different scene written, but water-boarding was all over the cable news networks in 2011 so we gotta have a scene where someone gets water-boarded, because water-boarding. To highlight how baffling and out of place this one scene is, in the run up to the actual torture itself Frost is making cracks about the thread count of the towels "you gotta have the 600s" this is supposed to tells us that Frost is really running the show with Denzel's signature sly knowing grin as a wink to the audience. The sequence just felt plainly shoehorned into the script, where as I feel a scene with some "acting" and "dialogue" might have had a better impact on the overall story. The whole scene could have been filled with sinister tension instead of just a wet, disheveled and gasping Denzel and confused looking puppy dog Reynolds. Also Denzel's character Frost is like spy famous with people recognizing him on sight like he is some kind of celebrity that all the junior spies collect trading cards of when they go to spy school. In fact in a cut scene to Langley CIA HQ several "analysts" give a seamless rundown of how dangerous Frost is in an interrupting and finishing each others sentences kind of way, it left my head spinning with the improbabilities.

Another thing that bothered me was all the car accidents. On one hand, thank the gods of cinema that the director didn't blow up everything in sight, like some unbearable hacks(Michael Bay as an example) who think that anytime two cars collide one must flip over, blow up or turn into a robot. The problem is that both the protagonists and the antagonists are in so many violent collisions throughout the movie with not a seatbelt or airbag in sight. Sure they get some cuts and bruises but seriously a few of the collisions should have resulted in death(due to lack of treatment) if not a major concussion or broken limbs. Yet the plot keeps reaching for the car crash as a mechanism to change the arc of the action, instead it runs over your suspension of disbelief like a hit and run victim.

Also Reynold's character has nearly magic super powers of reasoning and observation that are downright preposterous. He uses his super powers only when the writer runs out of talent and has written himself into a box with no other way out. I can think of three examples in the movie that would probably impress Sherlock Holmes.

A question that keeps coming up in the film is why Frost is in South Africa, Matt keeps asking it like any answer Frost gives him might actually be true or relevant. Nearly every character in the film asks this same question, like it's some kind of talisman and that if they keep asking it, the whole story will eventually start making sense. The writer's hope is that the audience will think that there is something important in the question and divert the viewer's attention from the MacGuffin that clumsily holds the story together. The whole situation is very funny as the audience already knows the answer to the question and was blatantly shown the MacGuffin in the first 5 minutes of the movie. Oh and yes, the whole plot is held up by nothing bigger or better than a classic and trope laden "Macguffin chip", and for three fourths of the movie only the audience and one character actually know what it is.

There is also a kind of "romance" that is barely a subplot, that is literally all I can say about it. The romance was on the screen just enough for you to notice it, provide a touch of character background and motivation and really nothing else.

If your cool with watching Denzel Washington get repeatedly handcuffed to random objects and Ryan reynolds get beaten up over and over, then you are going to love this movie. Otherwise wait until you can watch it for free and save your $2.99 for a better film like Ronin or Spy Game if you want a taught espionage thriller.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2013 12:11 AM PDT

Ultra Beard Shampoo by Beardsley - Wild Berry Flavor
Ultra Beard Shampoo by Beardsley - Wild Berry Flavor
Offered by Al-Rashad LLC
Price: $15.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, except, July 8, 2012
This stuff works as advertised, beard dandruff is completely gone, the great scraggly is softer and not as willful as it used to be. My wife confirms the softness. Results were distinctly noticeable after just two uses!

Now the real issue and why I am not giving this 5 stars, is the fragrance, this stuff has some "wild berry flavor" going on. My wife properly HATES it, whenever we kiss, she comes away making Mr Yuck faces about the fragrance. I have to cover it up with Brooklyn Gold Chain Guido levels of cologne, which is just fighting fire with gasoline. I am not a fan of the fragrance, but a NO vote from the little lady is a death sentence. I am rather annoyed, I love that the product works great, I just wish it had a more masculine fragrance, or no fragrance at all. My wife notes particularly that it isn't a manly scent, a real knee capping of my daily regime with that.

I would describe the Wild Berry Flavor as being an inoffensive variation of "bubble gum" for many guys it's probably no big deal. If not for the wife's attitude, I would probably just be stoked about the effect this stuff has on the great scraggly.

Beardsley people, please make this unscented, or give it a more manly fragrance.

Beardsley Ultra Conditioner for Beards 8 oz.
Beardsley Ultra Conditioner for Beards 8 oz.
Offered by Brevillian's