Profile for Jonathan Maberry -NY Times Bestseller > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 62

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jonathan Maberry -NY Times Bestseller "Jonathan Maberry is a NY Times best-selling author, multiple Bram Stoker Award-winner, anthology editor and comic book writer." RSS Feed (Del Mar, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Empowered Living Expanded Edition: A Guide to Physical and Emotional Protection
Empowered Living Expanded Edition: A Guide to Physical and Emotional Protection
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Exploration of Empowerment, February 8, 2014
There are a lot of empowerment books on the market, but few get right to the heart of the matter with the efficiency, compassion and insight that Tori Eldridge brings to Empowered Living. It's a superb.

Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook
Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook
by Donald Maass
Price: $16.53
90 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best writing book anywhere, February 8, 2014
I started using Don Maass' book when I was working on my fourth professional novel. I'm now writing my 22nd. I use it when I sit down to plot out the book, and I go through again during revisions. There is no better book for helping a writer understand the subtleties and complexities of a new work or a work in progress. And it's the only book I make required reading for all of the writing classes I teach.

Murder as a Fine Art
Murder as a Fine Art
by David Morrell
Price: $25.99
109 used & new from $3.44

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fine Art of Storytelling, May 23, 2013
This review is from: Murder as a Fine Art (Hardcover)
MURDER AS A FINE ART is the best historical mystery I've read since THE ALIENIST, and it's even better in some ways. The characters are fully-drawn, complex and engaging; the level of period detail is flawless; and the writing is subtle, masterful and beautiful. And the atmosphere...I could feel the fog swirling around me as I read it.

This is one of the very few books that I read in print and will listen to on audio.

This is why everyone who understands good writing says Morrell is a master. Bravo.

Nine Princes in Amber: The Chronicles of Amber, Book 1
Nine Princes in Amber: The Chronicles of Amber, Book 1
Offered by Audible, Inc. (US)
Price: $17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars All roads lead to Amber, April 28, 2013
I remember reading the Amber books when they were first published (way, way back when) and even then I thought: "Fantasy just came of age". Brilliant and devious, this was the series that brought politics into epic fantasy. Without this series and, arguably, DUNE, we probably would never have had Game of Thrones (and the novels on which they're based). And the narration by Alessandro Juliani is excellent. Each character is given a unique voice and personality by this talented actor/reader.

Earthworm Gods II: Deluge
Earthworm Gods II: Deluge
by Brian Keene
Price: $11.95
25 used & new from $11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Worm Food, April 10, 2013
Yeah...this is how you write a frickin' apocalyptic thriller. No holds barred, taking no prisoners, just balls-to-the-walls action. Booyah!

I love the first Earthworm Gods book, but this one blew me away. So killer.

Accountant
Accountant
DVD ~ Ray McKinnon
Price: $8.48
22 used & new from $3.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, December 19, 2012
This review is from: Accountant (DVD)
Walton Coggins brings real depth to this short. If you read the description you don't really get a sense of how wonderful and compelling a film this is. It's no wonder it won an Academy Award.

Hallmark Presents The Tradition of Christmas: A Collection of Timeless Christmas Music
Offered by KingsRidgeMedia
Price: $13.75
46 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, December 19, 2012
This was a 'lost classic' for me. I had the old cassette tape of it (yeah, set the Way-Back machine!). I love the whole collection, but for me the standout is Jennifer Warnes interesting rendition of 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen', which also has a beautiful instrumental opening. Cheers!

The Undead and Theology
The Undead and Theology
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh God....zombies!, December 19, 2012
Kim Paffenroth won a Bram Stoker Award for THE GOSPEL OF THE LIVING DEAD. He deserved it. Now he edits THE UNDEAD AND THEOLOGY, a collection of insightful essays that dig even deeper into the theological, ethical, moral and social implications of zombies. This is the kind of book that will appeal to any die-hard fan of the zombie genre as well as skeptics who wonder what all the fuss is about. I thoroughly enjoyed this. Bravo, Dr. Paffenroth!

Scratch
Scratch
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Old school horror with a modern twist, December 11, 2012
This review is from: Scratch (Kindle Edition)
Brian Keene never fails to find the right lever to pry the top off of your peace of mind. SCRATCH unfolds like an old-school biological horror story (kind of a 1970s vibe) but it's entrenched in modern day science and paranoia. Fun (and weird) stuff.

They
They
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy Fun, December 11, 2012
This review is from: They (Kindle Edition)
J. F. Gonzalez spins a great yarn, and this one is a classic example. Creep, interesting and devious. I loved it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7