Profile for E. J Tastad > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 397

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

E. J Tastad "ejt" RSS Feed (Marion, IA United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fisher-Price My Little Snugakitty Cradle N Swing
Fisher-Price My Little Snugakitty Cradle N Swing
Price: $131.03
8 used & new from $129.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Swinging for Fun, July 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Assembly was easy, an extra set of hands might be nice for lining everything up and set up. Not my first choice in colors for my young man, but the pink really brings out the blue in his eyes.

I have used this version and an earlier model without the speed sensing. This speed sensing version is nice, as it means the slowest speed isn't bordering on too fast for my little chunk, I actually had to set it middle of the range to get him swinging how he likes.

The mirror and the mobile are nice. The mirror is close enough that baby can see themselves, and the mobile draws attention to keep baby entertained.

The seat angle adjustment sometimes falls back to flat with him swinging, which can wake him up. I am working with the company to resolve this (and they were quick to respond to initial request). I will update as I find out if it is specific to my swing, or a general issue. The older one never had this issue, so I don't think it is a common issue unless it was introduced with the newer model.

I highly recommend these swings. Far better than the little dinky travel swings, but you do have to have a lot of space for this, it takes about a square meter of floor space. To be fair though it is comparable to other full size swings, so unless you go travel swing you won't save much room.

Usage Notes: I always used plugged in to AC power (haven't tried battery power).

Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature First Sips Trainer Cup, 5 Ounce
Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature First Sips Trainer Cup, 5 Ounce
Price: $17.48
8 used & new from $11.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Leak free peace of mind, July 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice leak free sippy cup. The main issue I see is that you have to suck on it too get in liquid out. If your baby doesn't have a well-developed sucking reflex, they might have difficulty drinking out of it.

The only other issue is the lid is a little difficult to remove. On the old Tommee Tippee sippy cups, you remove the lid by twisting on the handle, but on these new cups you have to twist on the lid, which doesn't have much grip.

The cup lives up to its claim of being leak free as far as I can tell. I couldn't make it drip more than one or two drops, and that much only after drinking out of it and there's some liquid in the valve.

Huggies Little Movers Diapers, Size 4, 112 Count
Huggies Little Movers Diapers, Size 4, 112 Count
Price: $34.99
4 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice improvement, July 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These seem like a nice improvement. I liked the added grip to make sure the tab doesn't slip off (or in my case if I tear it off the diaper is still usable).

The only annoyance is that the added grip material makes it a little harder to open the diaper and it catches on itself a little more easily make it a little more difficult to use one handed while trying to restrain baby from rolling off with the other.

Linksys WRT1900AC Dual Band Smart Wi-Fi Wireless AC Router (2.4 + 5GHz)
Linksys WRT1900AC Dual Band Smart Wi-Fi Wireless AC Router (2.4 + 5GHz)
Price: $233.71
13 used & new from $217.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast is only good if it works, July 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Update: From my cell phone (Galaxy S4 running 4.4 and using Chrome) it tells me that my browser is not supported, go download the App. I do that, but the App is very limited and doesn't let me change settings on the router as far as I can tell, so this means I can't use my phone to change router settings like I can on my previous router.

Well featured router, but user interface is bordering on too simplistic, and not sure that I really want yet another device I can add apps too.

When I started this up it picked the one channel that was exactly on top of the closest neighbors WiFi so they were interfering pretty badly. I had to manually switch to a different channel. If I run the WiFi analyzer tool on my phone it had picked the lowest rated channel.

QoS was a bit difficult to figure out how I wanted to set it up properly, and it seemed to only let me assign a priority to different devices, and not a bandwidth cap per device.

My XBox 360 really doesn't seem to like this router, and constantly gives me connection errors, where my previous ASUS RT-N66U was no problem (but not rated as fast as the WRT1900AC). My XBox is in the same room as the Linksys so signal strength is no problem. My other devices seem to have more issue with this as well, it seems like it will lose connection with my Cable modem for no apparent reason and I regularly have my phone saying the connection is unstable.

Overall, it looks like a great router, and might be nice for custom firmware. However, I would recommend a cheaper unit for most users that will do as much as this one (the ASUS I mentioned is half as much) unless you really need the speed, which most users don't need more than their internet speed. Bottom line is if my devices don't work with the router I am not going to use it. I leave it as a neutral rating because not everyone is going to have these issues with it depending on their individual network setups.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2014 9:38 PM PDT

Toro 51496 Cordless 24-Inch 24-Volt Lithium-Ion Hedge Trimmer with Bare Tool
Toro 51496 Cordless 24-Inch 24-Volt Lithium-Ion Hedge Trimmer with Bare Tool
Price: $69.98
6 used & new from $59.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick Trim, June 27, 2014
Good power, will hang up if you try to cut through thick branches too quickly. Works great for trimming anything finger size or smaller. I bought the bare tool since I have a battery with my weed trimmer, and only need 1. I don't have a lot of edging or trimming to do, so it is plenty for my uses.

I can't believe I waited this long to buy a hedge trimmer, and I used it to cut down my tall ornamental grass. Took me 1 minute to cut it down, used to take me an hour.

ERGObaby Wrap, Eucalyptus
ERGObaby Wrap, Eucalyptus
Price: $79.99
10 used & new from $71.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable Wrap, June 27, 2014
Words from my wife:
This is my first time using a wrap and was very pleased. I've always been a little leery of the learning curve so have always shied away from wraps. This wrap has worked great and I can see why so many parents and caregivers like them. I can see this as being better for smaller infants. I would be a bit afraid of it holding out for heavier kids. My 3 month old fits perfectly at 15 lbs and I love how it keeps him so close. I love how versatile it is with so many possible carry positions. Overall a very nice wrap that I would recommend to any new parent.

Words from me:
It is an expensive piece of material (basically all it is is a long piece of cloth/fabric). But it is easy to not have to worry about making your own, and material quality is good. Buy it for the convenience factor vs cutting your own piece of material. Also, the material is a bit stretchy so not sure if you could easily find something similar.

Remington Products F7-7800XCDN Men's Interceptor Foil Shaver with Charge Stand
Remington Products F7-7800XCDN Men's Interceptor Foil Shaver with Charge Stand
Price: $70.97
42 used & new from $66.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Irritating Razor, June 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Tip: This style of razor, with the Braun style foils, works best on shorter stubble. If you have a beard or haven't shaved in a week you need to use clippers to get it short before using this razor (or similar style razor).

This razor irritated my skin badly. I much prefer the Panasonic cordless razors with the Braun style foils. They are smoother shaving and less irritation (for me). This Remington left me with a rough shave which was not very close and itchy skin. It seemed to do well enough with coarse hair, but overall I am not going to use it again. It felt difficult to make the head go where I wanted it to go, it didn't track well with my face contours.

The display is retro orange and states a charge as a simple two digit number. Easy to read and understand. I think it is percent charge, but could be minutes too, doesn't matter it is easy to see it count down and I know to recharge it when it gets near 0.

Like pretty much all trimmers it is water washable and fairly easy to clean. The included dock is optional and a nice inclusion, although I won't use it. I think the foils are a bit hard to remove and clean compared to what I am used to.

Having said that, I gave it a neutral rating instead of negative, because even though it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for you. Whenever you try an electric razor, be sure to try it only for a week or so, not the 30 days as they state. If you go 30 days you won't be able to return it, which is why they say to use it that long. I have never had my opinion change after a couple days of use.

Sylvania 73014 10-watt  800 Lumens A19 LED Light Bulb, Soft White
Sylvania 73014 10-watt 800 Lumens A19 LED Light Bulb, Soft White
Price: $9.99
2 used & new from $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow to Start, June 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It is all about expectations. Having grown up with incandescent bulbs I expect them to turn on instantly when I flip the switch. For a vastly different technology, like CFL, I am willing to accept some lag time or dimness while warming up (in some applications, not all), but CFL has drawbacks which will prevent mass adoption. Poor power factor, lots of harmonic distortion (electrical interference), slow to light up, etc.

Thankfully, LED technology offers the promise of being both instant on, and full brightness immediately. Most LED bulbs deliver on this promise. However, if an LED bulb takes half a second to turn on I don't recommend it. There are plenty that start instantly, why anyone would want a delayed start one is beyond me.

I have 3 different lights in my bathroom fixture, and the other two start instantly. This bulb takes half a second to start.

The two I like better (also from Vine):

Both start instantly, are similar brightness and color, and the Toyota is even cheaper.

So even though this Sylvania bulb works just fine, it fails to meet my expectations of how an LED bulb should work so I don't recommend it when there are so many other LED bulbs which meet my expectations.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2014 8:10 AM PDT

Sharp LC-60EQ10U  60-inch Aquos Q 1080p 240Hz  Smart LED TV
Sharp LC-60EQ10U 60-inch Aquos Q 1080p 240Hz Smart LED TV
Price: $1,297.00
29 used & new from $1,000.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp Sharp, June 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Bottom Line:
Nice quality large TV with well integrated smart functionality, good performance.

Pros:
Large Screen
Good Image (very subjective)
Easy Setup

Cons:
Slow to change channels on over-the-air (OTA) tuner
Default movie setting was too green (I like "Game" preset much better).
Can be a bit dim in bright room

Setup:
One reviewer stated stand was difficult to put on. I wanted to address this, it is easy to put on if you get the right direction, but the correct orientation looks like the wrong orientation. It looks like the metal brackets would nicely slide together (sort of C shaped hole and bracket), but they actually go the opposite way. If you get it right it will go on easy. The generic directions are a bit annoying, make sure you find the one for your specific model.

I don't have cable and use only OTA. Channel finding was fine, and it found all the same channels as my previous TV, plus a couple audio only channels I didn't know existed but will just delete.

Works great over Wi-Fi with my setup and haven't had any connection issues. I think I have an Asus wireless router, but will check and add model number when I remember. The router is in the same room. That being said, I mostly use my Fire TV for smart features, but this Sharp is comparably fast for Netflix (which is good, much faster than many devices).

Works fine with the optical audio output and my LG sound bar. I like that I was able to turn off the speaker output on the TV. On my LG TV I had to turn the internal volume down all the way so sometimes it would accidentally get turned up and would have both the sound bar and TV going.

Sound:
Fine, but typical TV. A bit flat sounding. I much prefer my sound bar, and my TV is in the middle of a room so the TV directs too much sound behind it into the other room, the sound bar does a much better job directing it forward into the viewing area.

Picture Quality:
I left default with exception of changing the HDMI inputs to be "Game" preset, as I much prefer that to the greenish cast it had by default. Viewing angle is good, colors are good, sharpness is about right, and back light is mostly uniform and does well with scrolling text (my previous TV had a bright area running width of screen visible with scrolling text, this one does not). I am happy with the picture quality, but this is very subjective so I suggest trying one in the store if possible. Contrast ratio is good. It doesn't leave me wanting for better picture quality.

TV Tuner:
This is important to me since I watch TV on it. The tuner is very slow to change channels so it is highly annoying. You can't rapidly tune through stations, it is change, and wait 2 or 3 seconds per channel. I almost knocked a star off for this, but honestly 90% of my time is spent using Fire TV/Gaming and the other 10% watching OTA. The other annoying thing is my previous TV would let me look ahead and see which TV shows were on later (all based on content sent by station), and give summary of each show, where this one just shows the title when you change channels. However, the smart functions have a built in TV guide that can work with OTA, so I wouldn't knock off for this, just a difference on how it works (more info on the Sharp, but not quite as easy to use since it is in the smart menu).

Random Features:
I like that the TV automatically switches inputs when a new signal is detected (although this can be annoying when your toddler gets their fingers on the XBox and turns it on while watching Fire TV and it changes to the XBox input).

Remote:
The remote is too long, it falls on the floor easily because of this (gets bumped off, etc), and is a bit hard to hold.

Honestly, I could go through and tell you how I have my TV setup, but you might not like my settings. I was very happy with the "Game" or maybe it was "Gamer" setting as I liked the natural looking colors and good contrast range it offered. I felt the default for HDMI was too green. If you are going to downvote me for this, please leave a comment and ask me what my settings are and I would be happy to respond.

Overall, I think the TV is a good solid value. This 60" cost what my 47" did a couple years ago, and is better in most ways. Technology keeps improving. I think it works great with my 10-15 foot viewing distance as well. I hate to say it but the 47" was a bit small for that distance. Even though this was a vine review product, I would buy one with my own cash.

DII 100-Percent Cotton, Machine Washable, Great Hostess Gift, Chef's Cooking or Baking Acanthus Floral Kitchen Apron with Pockets, Dark Green
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking and good quality, June 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With an anniversary coming up, I was desperate for a gift for my wife. I saw this attractive little apron, and thought perfect! That is where the trouble began. Nothing says "I Love You" like an apron. "What, I don't cook enough for you?" "You want me to do what with the apron on!?!" "Wear it yourself!!!"

So with that being said, and a couple nights on the couch. I now have a nice apron I can use for baking. I dare say it isn't as attractive on me, but it does fit. I better not be seen wearing it when friends are over.

In all seriousness, this apron is a good quality apron. Very nice looking and will fit a wide range of body types. The neck is adjustable and the back strap is plenty large for almost anyone. Even though it is shown on an hourglass mannequin it should work with most body types.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20