Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Profile for Bob > Reviews

Browse

Bob's Profile

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bob RSS Feed (Florida)

Anne Frank Remembered: The Story of the Woman Who Helped to Hide the Frank Family
by Alison Leslie Gold
Price: $8.85
117 used & new from $1.48

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic must-read book., April 22, 2016
I have read several books about what Jews had to endure during World War Two. All these books were excellent but there was something different about Anne Frank Remembered. It was written by a Christian (who was not very religious and who later considered throwing God out. Her husband was an atheist) who risked her life and devoted her life to protecting a Jewish family. The book is partly about what the non-Jewish Dutch people had to endure during the war which was terrible and included the struggle to find enough food to eat. Of course what happened to the Jews in Holland was many times worse. They constantly lived in fear. They desperately tried to escape the country or find somewhere to hide.

Several times I had to stop reading this book because it was too much for me. The book is intense, every page is interesting. This is a book everyone must read.

Able Planet Clear Harmony Active Noise-Canceling Headphones (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
2 used & new from $249.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., April 21, 2016
Totally satisfied with these earphones.

Faith Versus Fact: Why Science and Religion Are Incompatible
Faith Versus Fact: Why Science and Religion Are Incompatible
by Jerry A. Coyne
Price: $19.68
82 used & new from $12.42

5.0 out of 5 stars The god-soaked need to read this priceless book by Jerry Coyne., February 28, 2016
I'm half way done reading this fantastic book. Jerry Coyne totally kills religious stupidity. The god-soaked should read it even though they will never be able to understand it. Religion is a disease and usually there is no cure. The brain damage can't be fixed.

Jerry Coyne's Why Evolution Is True was a masterpiece as is Faith vs. Fact. These two books are priceless. Why Evolution Is True is the best book about the evidence ever written for non-scientists. Faith vs. Fact is the best book ever written for why the god-soaked are always wrong about everything.

Religions are destroying lives and this planet. The childish Magic Man fantasy and all the other ridiculous supernatural fantasies need to be eradicated. This book by the brilliant University of Chicago biologist is a good start.

Insane City
Insane City
by Dave Barry
Price: $14.32
180 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Dave Barry's best book for many reasons, February 8, 2016
This review is from: Insane City (Paperback)
This book has everything, humor (nobody is better than Dave Barry at making people laugh), drugs, booze, very bad decisions, terrible mistakes, problems that keep growing and getting worse, people who are desperate (life or death desperate), evil people, extremely evil people, good people, extremely kind people, extreme wealth, extreme poverty, and a man who is not sure what he wants but he is figuring it out. All this is in the first 81 pages of a 385 page book.

I decided to write this review before I finished reading it because I don't want to give away the ending so it's better that I know nothing about it. I can only tell you the ending is impossible to predict. I can also tell you that you absolutely must buy this book. It's priceless, even better than Lunatics because it has a serious side to it. I have read virtually every book Mr. Barry has written. This is his best, his masterpiece. I don't make things up. You have to buy this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2016 11:06 AM PST

Capablanca's Best Chess Endings: 60 Complete Games
Capablanca's Best Chess Endings: 60 Complete Games
by José Raúl Capablanca
Price: $12.85
91 used & new from $4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Chernev makes it interesting instead of tedious., April 24, 2015
Tedious chess books never get read, but thanks to Chernev there is nothing boring about Capablanca's Best Chess Endings. I studied all 60 games which I never would have done without Chernev making it interesting. I learned how to create advantages in middle game that would help me win in the endgame. Squeezing a win from a small advantage in the endgame is just as interesting as a violent attack in the middle game.

Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body
Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body
by Neil Shubin
Price: $18.72
163 used & new from $0.60

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books about evolution ever written., May 14, 2014
Neil Shubin's Your Inner Fish is equal to Why Evolution is True and The Greatest Show on Earth. Thank goodness for the 3 excellent PBS TV shows about the same subject which convinced me to buy the book.

One interesting thing about Your Inner Fish: Neil Shubin completely ignores the existence of creationists. That makes sense. Just ignore the idiots.

American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History
by Jim DeFelice
199 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Soon after I started reading his story I noticed I like this person a lot., February 4, 2013
I don't have much to say because I'm only on page 47. I like this person a lot. He doesn't write like a professional writer. He writes like a real person. Like somebody I would want to have a beer with.

I had this book for a few weeks but didn't start reading it until after the terrible thing that happened recently. After all he went thru in Iraq he was killed in his own country by someone he was trying to help.

So far it's a "can't stop reading this" book. He had a very interesting life even before he became a sniper.

At pages 46 and 47 I have to quote what happened immediately after the 9/11/2001 atrocity. His cell phone had the message "Kyle, get your ass back to base. Now!" He started speeding down the highway at about 100 miles per hour. Of course a police officer stopped him and asked "Is there any reason you're going so fast?" Mr. Kyle explained why he was in hurry and said he was a SEAL. The police officer then closed his ticket book and said "I'll take you to the city line. Go get some ****in' payback." They then went full speed out of that city.

Buy this book. Especially if you love America and love the people who risk everything to defend us. You have to read this book.

Battlefield Earth
Battlefield Earth
by L. Ron Hubbard
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
99 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars, excellent extremely long story, January 8, 2013
I discovered this book thanks to Mitt Romney, the rich pig who lost the 2012 election for president. The book was on his list of favorite books, and it's now on my list.

I bought the hardcover which was a bit awkward to hold in bed (where I do all my reading). This is perhaps a good reason to buy an Amazon Kindle.

1,083 pages, it took me almost 5 months to read it. I read until I pass out which is not very long.

The incredible hero of the book was successful thanks to some very good luck but he made his good luck possible. In real life what he did would have been too unlikely to be possible, but that's why this is called fiction.

I suck at writing book reviews but I know an excellent book when I read one. All science fiction fans must buy this book.

Some people might not agree with Mr. Romney's political ideas but if they love science fiction they would have to agree with him about Battlefield Earth.

I read some critical reviews of this book which shows some people go out of their way to not enjoy themselves.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2013 2:15 PM PST

Lunatics
Lunatics
by Dave Barry
182 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not stop laughing, February 11, 2012
This review is from: Lunatics (Hardcover)
Dave Barry has often written about "unfortunate readers who suffer from a tragic condition called Humor Impairment". Those people might not like this book. I very rarely laugh. I can go months without laughing. However I have now read Lunatics twice, in 2012 and 2015. Both times I had to frequently stop reading because I could not stop laughing.

The two main characters couldn't possibly be more different but somehow they both have become famous terrorists because of a minor disagreement about a children's soccer game.

Dave Barry and Alan Zweibel are brilliant. Apparently they took turns writing this crazy story, and they probably didn't know what to expect when it was their turn to write. The story kept becoming more and more bazaar.

Why Evolution Is True
Why Evolution Is True
by Jerry A. Coyne
68 used & new from $5.19

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book about evolution ever written, October 16, 2011
This review is from: Why Evolution Is True (Hardcover)
There are many books about evolution but in my opinion Jerry Coyne's masterpiece is the best for both non-scientists and experienced biologists. Every paragraph is priceless, important, easy to understand, and a pleasure to read. There is nothing tedious in Why Evolution is True. Every piece of evidence described by Jerry Coyne is by itself good enough to call evolution true. All the evidence he explains combined should be enough for anyone unless they are mentally disturbed.

This excellent book should convince evolution deniers to grow up and accept reality but will it? I hope so but I doubt it. Stupid can't be fixed.

The problem is the science deniers will probably not read this book, or if they do read it they won't try to understand it. Instead they will look for imaginary problems. Creationists are creationists because they are afraid of the religious implications of evolution. They are just too cowardly to even try to understand why they have been wrong about everything their entire wasted lives.

This is perhaps the most important sentence in Why Evolution is True and religious people need to understand it if they want to live in the 21st century instead of hiding in the Dark Ages: "If the history of science teaches us anything, it is that what conquers our ignorance is research, not giving up and attributing our ignorance to the miraculous work of a creator."

Type "darwin killed god" in the google search box then click the I'm Feeling Lucky button.