Profile for Bob > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bob RSS Feed (Florida)

Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body
Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body
by Neil Shubin
Price: $18.46
128 used & new from $1.88

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books about evolution ever written., May 14, 2014
Neil Shubin's Your Inner Fish is equal to Why Evolution is True and The Greatest Show on Earth. Thank goodness for the 3 excellent PBS TV shows about the same subject which convinced me to buy the book.

One interesting thing about Your Inner Fish: Neil Shubin completely ignores the existence of creationists. That makes sense. Just ignore the idiots.

American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History
by Jim DeFelice
170 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Soon after I started reading his story I noticed I like this person a lot., February 4, 2013
I don't have much to say because I'm only on page 47. I like this person a lot. He doesn't write like a professional writer. He writes like a real person. Like somebody I would want to have a beer with.

I had this book for a few weeks but didn't start reading it until after the terrible thing that happened recently. After all he went thru in Iraq he was killed in his own country by someone he was trying to help.

So far it's a "can't stop reading this" book. He had a very interesting life even before he became a sniper.

At pages 46 and 47 I have to quote what happened immediately after the 9/11/2001 atrocity. His cell phone had the message "Kyle, get your ass back to base. Now!" He started speeding down the highway at about 100 miles per hour. Of course a police officer stopped him and asked "Is there any reason you're going so fast?" Mr. Kyle explained why he was in hurry and said he was a SEAL. The police officer then closed his ticket book and said "I'll take you to the city line. Go get some ****in' payback." They then went full speed out of that city.

Buy this book. Especially if you love America and love the people who risk everything to defend us. You have to read this book.

Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000
Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000
by L. Ron Hubbard
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.19
104 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars, excellent extremely long story, January 8, 2013
I discovered this book thanks to Mitt Romney, the rich pig who lost the 2012 election for president. The book was on his list of favorite books, and it's now on my list.

I bought the hardcover which was a bit awkward to hold in bed (where I do all my reading). This is perhaps a good reason to buy an Amazon Kindle.

1,083 pages, it took me almost 5 months to read it. I read until I pass out which is not very long.

The incredible hero of the book was successful thanks to some very good luck but he made his good luck possible. In real life what he did would have been too unlikely to be possible, but that's why this is called fiction.

I suck at writing book reviews but I know an excellent book when I read one. All science fiction fans must buy this book.

Some people might not agree with Mr. Romney's political ideas but if they love science fiction they would have to agree with him about Battlefield Earth.

I read some critical reviews of this book which shows some people go out of their way to not enjoy themselves.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2013 2:15 PM PST

Lunatics
Lunatics
by Dave Barry
134 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not stop laughing, February 11, 2012
This review is from: Lunatics (Hardcover)
Dave Barry has often written about "unfortunate readers who suffer from a tragic condition called Humor Impairment". Anyone who gave this priceless masterpiece less than five stars is very humor impaired. It's takes a lot of skill to make a reader unable to stop laughing. Dave Barry and Alan Zweibel have successfully done this to me several times with their Lunatics and I'm only half way done reading it. The two main characters couldn't possibly be more different but somehow they both have become famous terrorists because of a minor disagreement about a children's soccer game. I dread finishing the book because I doubt I will ever again enjoy a book so much.

Why Evolution Is True
Why Evolution Is True
by Jerry A. Coyne
55 used & new from $7.78

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book about evolution ever written, October 16, 2011
This review is from: Why Evolution Is True (Hardcover)
There are many books about evolution but in my opinion Jerry Coyne's masterpiece is the best for both non-scientists and experienced biologists. Every paragraph is priceless, important, easy to understand, and a pleasure to read. There is nothing tedious in Why Evolution is True. Every piece of evidence described by Jerry Coyne is by itself good enough to call evolution true. All the evidence he explains combined should be enough for anyone unless they are mentally disturbed.

This excellent book should convince evolution deniers to grow up and accept reality but will it? I hope so but I doubt it. Stupid can't be fixed.

The problem is the science deniers will probably not read this book, or if they do read it they won't try to understand it. Instead they will look for imaginary problems. Creationists are creationists because they are afraid of the religious implications of evolution. They are just too cowardly to even try to understand why they have been wrong about everything their entire wasted lives.

This is perhaps the most important sentence in Why Evolution is True and religious people need to understand it if they want to live in the 21st century instead of hiding in the Dark Ages: "If the history of science teaches us anything, it is that what conquers our ignorance is research, not giving up and attributing our ignorance to the miraculous work of a creator."

Type "darwin killed god" in the google search box then click the I'm Feeling Lucky button.