Profile for Hobbes > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Hobbes "The Pharisee within Me" RSS Feed (Pittsburgh, Pa, USA)

Fruit Quest
Fruit Quest
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun!, July 6, 2013
This review is from: Fruit Quest (App)
Lots of variety and fun. Game levels keep changing a lot. Easy to learn and use. User-friendly too. Enjoy it!

Energizer Hearing Aid Battery
Energizer Hearing Aid Battery
Offered by Your Outlet Warehouse, Inc.
Price: $4.93
18 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT WHAT THEY ADVERTISED!, June 12, 2013
BEWARE -- the seller shows the hard-to-find magnetic dispenser, which is the ONLY reason I bought from them. But they sent the plain old dispensers with the stick-on tape only. For my fellow hearing aid users, you know what I mean: the ones that stay stuck on the hearing aid until you have it in the device, ready to go, then when you try to pull off the tape, the battery goes flying across the room and is lost! What happened to the magnetic dispensers I was looking for?

Digital Fortress: A Thriller
Digital Fortress: A Thriller
by Dan Brown
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $8.24
454 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars More annoying the further I read, May 22, 2012
For a while I was enjoying the story, suspending my disbelief over various things. But more and more it just began wearing me down. WARNING -- PLOT SPOILERS...

What specifically? The writing style (overuse of similes, too long on background descriptions and asides -- often I just skimmed over paragraphs to get to the next action segment), the characters that were flat, cliched, and predictable, the repeated use of the SAME basic plot as his other books, and so forth. And some reviewers here have explained the technical errors (with both computers and cryptography) -- that's not my department, but even I wondered at times. Even I knew that they should look at the periodic table of the elements!

And the head of the NSA computer systems spending his weekends soldering wires inside of a main frame? Really??? And having so many NSA employees who had unscrupulous backgrounds as well as very unprofessional, sit-com type behaviors. And the NSA executive authorizing an assassin, and on top of that it's a solo assassin who is so careless and sloppy -- and sometimes deaf and sometimes not deaf. And then an entire building on the NSA campus is burning up while the NSA director and some of his staff argue about whether anything is going wrong -- oh, we can't reach the assistant director on his phone, so we'll just stand here and have a cliched argument and take no action before the story comes back to us. Really?

And I can't find the specific reference, but there's a real boo-boo about a gun somewhere earlier in the book. I mean, the author seems to know almost nothing about them, making up a term for a gun part that does not exist. Wish I could find it...

I hate giving such a list of negatives about anyone's work, but I had to make a rare exception here. Just very disappointing in so many ways. I'd say only read it if you can overlook all this stuff and just want a story to pass the time. (I'll admit, I do that myself sometimes -- so I reluctantly say two stars here).

The Da Vinci Code
The Da Vinci Code
by Dan Brown
Price: $6.04
612 used & new from $0.26

1.0 out of 5 stars Decent story but shabby history, May 22, 2012
This review is from: The Da Vinci Code (Paperback)
Wow. I admit I actually enjoyed the story itself -- likable characters, lots of action, twists and turns.

However, in retrospect, I did start to tire of all the plot twists. It's like Brown just wanted to keep shaking things up as if that was his entire goal of writing. It seems I see that more and more today -- that a book can't be suspenseful and linear, but has to just keep surprising us. Gives me whiplash, but it was a fun read.

Bigger issue: the complete lack of historical accuracy for the underlying premises of the book was mind-numbing. I realize many readers would not even see this, but it's still disturbing, and for me it spoiled the book. It's really just an education tool promoting a modern twist on ancient Gnosticism and other trendy (in some circles) ideas packaged inside of a suspense novel. I say one star.

Beyond Armageddon
Beyond Armageddon
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun read, April 25, 2012
This review is from: Beyond Armageddon (Kindle Edition)
I read the whole series. It's about an average guy who gets thrown into the middle of a global disaster and rises to the occasion with the help of a mysterious mentor, with lots of ordinary people joining him in what becomes an adventure of epic proportions, complete with heroes, love interests, tragedy, and humor.

I was personally intrigued because it starts, and even the global story remains centered, near where I grew up (Northeastern Pennsylvania's woodlands -- Harvey's Lake area -- I hail from Tunkhannock, just up the river a little and that's even mentioned in book 5).

Book one has a couple steamy scenes though not too graphic. There's a "marriage" that gets abandoned -- call me old fashioned, but that bothered me. But otherwise, this book (and series) has a lot of human interest, lots of adventure, epic heroic characters, some good sci-fi (as well as some segments of prolonged goofy sci-fi and wierd gooey creatures, etc -- sections I skimmed over because the story was good enough to be worth it). Oh, there's also some intriguing stuff about parallel universes, seeding life on planets, etc -- fun to crank your brain on when you have nothing better to do (even though I don't believe in that stuff!) -- but it never gets in the way of the story.

As for mechanics, it's typical for inexpensive Kindle books, so you can get used to that (paragraphs not always breaking properly, etc). But overall, I had a bunch of relaxing hours enjoying the series, and I highly recommend it for sci-fi adventure buffs!

Big Lake
Big Lake
by Nick Russell
Price: $9.95
31 used & new from $5.51

2.0 out of 5 stars Great story but ending not credible, April 25, 2012
This review is from: Big Lake (Paperback)
I don't like writing negative reviews -- and I have to say I enjoyed this book right up until the last few pages. It was a good story and it kept moving (hence the two stars I gave it). Sure, some layout errors in Kindle, but that is common enough. However, the ending -- though totally surprising -- simply did not fit the facts of the story IMHO.

WARNING -- POSSIBLE PLOT SPOILER ALERT * * * *
The person who turned out to be the killer had only the lamest motivation, and really had every motivation imaginable NOT to commit the crime -- psychologically, relationally, emotionally, and even financially. Had a bright future that was unfolding before them, with a good support system, and other very accessible means to accomplish what they said their purpose/goal was. 'Nuff said.

Heirs of Mars: A Science Fiction Thriller
Heirs of Mars: A Science Fiction Thriller
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars A Confusing Read, April 25, 2012
I don't like giving a negative review, but I have to be honest. While the book contained all-around decent sci-fi material, I found it very confusing. It took me about half-way through the book before I could keep track of all the different characters with their other-language-sounding names. IMHO the introduction to each of the many characters was too brief, and I had to pick it up by bits and pieces, and keep highlighting segments and looking back, word-searching (on my Kindle), etc, to understand who was who, just to make sense of each conversation I was reading.

By the time I could follow the characters, I was half-way through the book, so I finally wanted to stick it out just to see what actually happens. But then the ending was kind of a let-down; it just wound down quickly and was anti-climactic. In short, it was a confusing read, and not worth the aggravation.

Mahjong Artifacts® Free
Mahjong Artifacts® Free
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well done., February 4, 2012
This review is from: Mahjong Artifacts® Free (App)
Very nicely done, and the tiles are beautiful too.

I tried other versions and some of them have the tiles all too similar. I like this version.