Profile for Allen s > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 327

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Allen s RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Coasts of Christmas Past: From the Tales of Dan Coast
Coasts of Christmas Past: From the Tales of Dan Coast

3.0 out of 5 stars Dan Coast has a problem., August 3, 2015
I'm hooked on this series, so I actually paid for the third in the series.
I always complained that the books were too short, and I wanted more, so in this one I got more. Except I got more fluff and about the same action as the short ones.
IMO, a bit much on his alcohol problems, that part got in the way of the story.
I'll get the fourth, since I want to complete the series. I hope it's not a cliff hanger.

I'd like more description of real Key West, I've been there and it's a funky town, so it could be worked in more. Dan never goes anywhere recognizable, just Red's and home.

The story deserved 4 stars, but I knocked it down one for my disappointment.

Code of Conduct: A Thriller (Scot Harvath Book 14)
Code of Conduct: A Thriller (Scot Harvath Book 14)
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Scott is bulletproof., August 2, 2015
I've purchased all of Thor's books. Mostly in hard cover, so I can loan them out or keep them on a shelf.
So, I can say I'm a fan.
I gave this episode 3 stars because I found it a bit too unbelievable.
Our Hero, Scott Harvath, seems to be the only man in the world who can pull off these missions. So he's everywhere, often with no help. And he never loses against the world's best trained killers.

I think I'd prefer one story line where he starts a mission and carries it through. This seemed to be four or five separate missions, and it wore my "suspension of disbelief" down. I know, one main story, but in many countries.

Thor always rips a story from the headlines, and this is no different, and timely.

Ocean Floors (From the Tales of Dan Coast Book 2)
Ocean Floors (From the Tales of Dan Coast Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fast read., August 2, 2015
At first, I didn't think I'd like this one as well as the first. It started in a sort of weird way, but then it kicked into high gear, and off we went.
My only complaint is there's too short. I want more than an evening's read.
The first two, I borrowed from the "Prime" lending library. At first it's confusing to learn how to download a loner, maybe intentionally, but after I did it once, then next time was easy.
I don't think I can wait a month for #3, so I may have to break down and BBBBbbbbuy it.

The writing is great. The characters are flawed and a little predictable, but better than 90% of the mystery novels out there today.

There's no fluff, so you get 130 pages of steady action.

Sleeping Dogs Lie (From the Tales of Dan Coast Book 1)
Sleeping Dogs Lie (From the Tales of Dan Coast Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, except too short., July 29, 2015
The biggest problem with this book is it's too short.
I read it in one sitting, but loved every page. I was going to say Dan is not your usual freelance PI, but in many ways he is. Somehow, I didn't get tired of this adventure.
Maybe what made this read fun was it didn't waste a hundred pages in the middle struggling with his philosophy. He's got problems, move on.
Can't wait to read #2.

Russian Roulette (Dev Haskell - Private Investigator, Book 1)
Russian Roulette (Dev Haskell - Private Investigator, Book 1)
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Delivered on promise., July 22, 2015
Okay, it's not War and Peace. I didn't expect that. I expected a good fast paced PI story that was fun to read. And it delivered on that promise. The characters are a bit too predictable, but it's better than 90% of the stuff out there for the same money, which in this case was $0.

BISSELL PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Corded Vacuum, 81L2A (Same as 81L2T)
BISSELL PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Corded Vacuum, 81L2A (Same as 81L2T)
Price: $49.99
24 used & new from $33.74

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, great value!, July 15, 2015
There's enough dog hair to make another dog every week.
I hated my big heavy upright, although it did an okay job.
All my rooms but one have hardwood.
So, I decided to give the Bissell a chance, and the price was right.
First, it was easy to assemble, just snap the three parts together. Careful on the bottom, I think it needs a push and twist. I didn't read the instructions, of course.
It does a good job, maybe great, of picking up dog hair and small leaves, etc.
In the corners, it's not so great, as the side suction isn't as good as the middle.
Forget it on carpet. I tried and didn't get two feet. The suction just glues the head to the rug.
It doesn't move.
So, it will be relegated to the dining room, where the dog hair seems to congregate.
It's fun to watch a clump of hair zoom into the head like it was a magnet.

Master Lock 3054DAT 12-Foot-by-1-inch Ratchet Tie Down
Master Lock 3054DAT 12-Foot-by-1-inch Ratchet Tie Down
Price: $8.28
2 used & new from $4.24

2.0 out of 5 stars It works, barely. Spend a few dollars more and get the real deal., June 29, 2015
I probably own 20 ratchet straps. I've tied down motorcycles, secured cargo,
attached poles to fences, anything you can imagine.
Sometimes you don't need hooks, you just want a big loop.

I got this to secure an amp on a dolly, doesn't need much strength, and it's a good thing, because when I opened the package, I thought it was the toy version of a ratchet strap.
The metal is thin stamped tin. The webbing is thin also.

It works, and it's cheap. I think if I walked around the block, it would turn to rust, but my use is inside.

I highly recommend the US Cargo stainless version, but it's not Prime eligible.

This will do but it's the bottom of the quality ladder.

Under Tower Peak: A Thriller
Under Tower Peak: A Thriller
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Load up, were moving out!, June 28, 2015
This turned out to be a real cowboy story. But in modern times.
Well told, loading up the mules to travel by horseback up to the high country for a little hunting far from civilization, until they discover a plane crash.

The only time I got a bit frustrated with the author is when he turned to the supernatural to help explain the plot. Maybe he was stuck for a good ending.

None the less, a very different read, not your usual detective story.

Crescent City Connection: An Action-Packed New Orleans Mystery; Skip Langdon  #7 (The Skip Langdon Series)
Crescent City Connection: An Action-Packed New Orleans Mystery; Skip Langdon #7 (The Skip Langdon Series)

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing., June 7, 2015
I'm about half way through and I put it down.
Maybe it's just me, but the names and plot get too jumbled.
First, the heroine's name is Skip. Many of the names are unusual.
Then, the plot veers off into a different direction often. Just when I want to see what happened to
what's her name, we find ourself at a party as a caterer.

Maybe I'll pick it back up, but this isn't a good sign, I never quit.

The Ajax Protocol (The Project Book 7)
The Ajax Protocol (The Project Book 7)
Price: $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Too predictable., June 7, 2015
This suffers from the same flaw that plagues all "Black Ops" stories.
The team is always handsome, beautiful, troubled, genius, rich, patriotic, computer experts.
They fall in love, never got killed, and save the world when no one else can.
How about once we have an ugly guy as the leader? A guy who couldn't get laid on a Greek tally ship?

It's a fun read, but it reminds me of the last 10 books just like this.
I did raise an eyebrow when the "director" calls a meeting and some of the team is late. Sorry, that wouldn't fly in the real world. Also, the director decides to bypass the White House and call Russia instead?
That would get you locked away quickly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2015 1:29 PM PDT