Profile for D. Horn > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 40

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Horn "prog rocker" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0)
Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0)
by Scott Meyer
Price: $9.45
33 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sci-fi book! And not sad and depressing either!, February 4, 2015
This was a great book! It was very funny, but also great, rich characters and interesting and novel sci-fi themes. In fact, I think that even if you took out all the funny parts, it's still a great sci-fi book. I also think it was very well written. After finishing it, I immediately picked up the 2nd in the series. Most sci-fi books are darker, more sadder fare. I was happy for once to read something in the genre that is happy and makes me smile!

Kids's Spider Web Design 2-Tone Sport Sunglasses k9050 - Purple
Kids's Spider Web Design 2-Tone Sport Sunglasses k9050 - Purple
Offered by The Source Group
Price: $7.47

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke in one day! Low Quality!!!, September 15, 2014
This was one of the lowest quality items I've ever purchased. We took it out of the package and gave it to my 4 year old daughter, and the same day the lens fell out. Also, the plastic is so cheapl it feels like something you would get at a a party store or dollar store as a party favor. The only good thing I can say about this is that it fit my 4 year old daughter nicely for that one day (she is on the small side).

The Flight of the Silvers
The Flight of the Silvers
by Daniel Price
Price: $19.40
98 used & new from $0.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Classic Sci-Fi Book!, September 15, 2014
One of the best sci-fi books I've ever read, and I've read tons. Sci-fi readers have been a lucky bunch the last few years with new authors like Hugh Howey, Andy Weir, Pierce Brown, and I definitely put Daniel Price in this list. This book is extremely high quality, very detailed, and thorough, and yet also an exciting, fun read. It reminded me of the tv show "Heroes" but much more thought provoking, and better, because the characters are so amazingly real. Plus, Daniel Price has a writing style, to me, like Asimov in that everything is written so clearly.

Even at 600 pages, I was sad that it ended and can't wait for more!

Animal Pals: Best-Ever Puzzles from Puzzle Buzz (v. 1)
Animal Pals: Best-Ever Puzzles from Puzzle Buzz (v. 1)
by Highlights for Children
16 used & new from $2.27

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I thought, May 27, 2014
I thought this would be a bigger book, like the Hidden Pictures books "best editions", but it's actually the same size as a regular edition of Puzzle Buzz. Waste of money. I should have read the fine print here on the page number. But in terms of the actual puzzles, my kids love puzzle buzz.

Red Rising
Red Rising
by Pierce Brown
Price: $16.21
70 used & new from $6.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, April 30, 2014
This review is from: Red Rising (Hardcover)
I was worried it would be childish since it's a teenage character and compared to the Hunger Games, but it certainly is not childish. It is very dark, violent, fast and tons of action. It is also quality sci-fi and a very imaginative, high tech world. In fact, I wish the book was longer.

In terms of the ability of the author to create a new, highly detailed world, I compare this to Hugh Howey's Silo saga.

One Saturday Evening (Easy-to-Read, Dutton)
One Saturday Evening (Easy-to-Read, Dutton)
by Barbara Baker
Price: $11.70
52 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars our favorite kids book!, March 5, 2014
The author really hit a homerun with this series. These books are captivating, entertaining, but also so realistic. I think that's why my kids like it so much - because it's so realistic. The series as a whole describes a typical day in a family with four young children, and how they all interact and have fun, and annoy!, each other. Each book in the series also has a different vignette for each character's experience during the particular time of day. I love that the kids reading the book get to see how each character has experiences and desires of their own, and how each family member can both give and receive to make sure everyone is happy and the family is functioning. Also, in addition to being entertaining and hilarious, the writing is also simple enough that our kid likes to try reading parts herself. Definitely a winner here!

This one deals with a typical night time routine. Just like the other books in the series, this one is a winner.

Marsha Is Only a Flower (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
Marsha Is Only a Flower (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
by Barbara Bottner
52 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars poor behavior, January 11, 2014
I agree with the other review. The main character, Lulu, exhibits extremely poor behavior throughout the book, and even in front of and to adults, and none of the adults do anything about it. The adults just lavish praise. If you want to teach your children that there are zero consequences to bad behavior, this is the book for you!!! Lulu is mean to her mom, friends, teacher, and sister, is a selfish, spoiled brat, and everyone just accepts it. Very sad!

Jambossa
Jambossa
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars great album, December 11, 2013
This review is from: Jambossa (MP3 Music)
Fun album and wonderful guitar playing. Very nice takes on these songs. If you like this style of guitar playing, this is a great album.

Regeneration: Volume I & II
Regeneration: Volume I & II
Price: $18.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, December 11, 2013
I gave this album a few listens before giving this review. It was good in spots, but poor in others. In total, it sounds like a decent tribute band, hence the 3 stars. I do like the new singer, but he sings with less emotion, or "soul," than DeYoung. Also it is funny that the new takes are even less "hard rock" than the older versions. This sounds like Styx-lite. I was surprised at this since one of the problems they say they had with DeYoung was that he was not "rock" enough. A couple of bright spots - I thought Too Much Time on My Hands was excellent and a fun version, and Queen of Spades was excellent and probably the track with the most driving beat and energy on the album (I also thought this was the new singer's finest showing). But it is kind of surprising that I like the Neal Morse cover of Come Sail Away way way way better than this new Styx version!

Future World
Future World
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Their Best Album!!!, November 20, 2013
This review is from: Future World (MP3 Music)
I can't believe this is their last album! This was the best one, especially the second half of the album. It is amazing musicianship, great melodies, and wonderful vocals. If I close my eyes, I could hear this as a follow up to Dream Theater's Images and Words, but it is definitely Artension. I wish they made more after this!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4