Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for Velvet Marmoset > Reviews

Browse

Velvet Marmoset's Profile

Customer Reviews: 185

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Velvet Marmoset RSS Feed (VA, United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
LECHAT Perfect Match Varnish Base Gel, Ultra Thin, 0.500 Ounce
LECHAT Perfect Match Varnish Base Gel, Ultra Thin, 0.500 Ounce
Offered by MissLandia
Price: $8.95
14 used & new from $5.65

1.0 out of 5 stars More like Ultra Thick and Gloopy, not Ultra thin base coat., July 16, 2016
This base coat was awful; I love LeChat products so I was extremely disappointed. Maybe I was shipped a counterfeit or old bottle, but it was thick and gloopy and impossible to apply smoothly without applying a super thick layer. The brush was wide and short, much different from other LeChat gel bottles I have - like the actual colors and top coat.m -- I think it would have worked well if the base coat weren't so impossibly thick and gloopy.

Anker 2nd Gen Astro3 12800mAh External Battery for Smart Phones - Black
Anker 2nd Gen Astro3 12800mAh External Battery for Smart Phones - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great at first, then customer service and a nice 18 month warranty saved the day., July 11, 2016
I liked this when i first got it, except it was heavy as heck compared to my previous New Trent charger that seemed sketchy but worked like a dream and is still going strong. This Anker behemoth charged my iphone 6 several times over. I never liked the shake feature -- it seems to me to be an unnecessary feature designed to make some people think it's cool and amazing, but it's frivolous and annoying when it turns on in your purse in the middle of a movie or some such time.
At the 4-6 month mark it started taking longer and longer to charge. By 14 months, it wouldn't even charge beyond an eighth of a circle.

Since it wasthe 18 month mark, I emailed the company to see if the warranty would apply. They responded right away, had me do a simple test or two, and immediately sent me a newer model as a replacement -- so they earned back stars! Excellent customer service.

Japan Hobby Tool Liquid Dispenser for Camera and Lens Cleaning
Japan Hobby Tool Liquid Dispenser for Camera and Lens Cleaning
Offered by Japan Hobby Tool
Price: $24.00
43 used & new from $24.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Dispenser -- almost perfect, July 6, 2016
This is a review of the liquid/ solvent dispenser in this listing, which is an odd listing for several completely different items! At least it is right now.

I bought this dispenser to use with acetone or isopropyl alcohol. As it's sold for dispensing cleaning fluid for cameras and optical components, it should be designed for volatile solvents like these. I've been searching for a heavy duty, mostly glass and metal, stable pump dispenser. This is ALMOST perfect. The bottle is heavy, thick glass with a wide stable base. The inner mechanism is heavy, sturdy feeling metal. The pump mechanism is metal and on initial testing works flawlessly, dispensing just enough liquid to almost fill the little top area with a single pump. Then we come to the lid. Why design a solvent bottle that doesn't have an air-tight lid? The red lid just sits loosely atop the dispenser. There's nothing to hold it on or seal it. I bought this as an alternative to the cheap and/or junky plastic or occasionally glass dispensers used in nail salons -- it's a great deal better so far; I just wish it had a secure lid. Later I'll try turning it upside down filled with acetone and see how much leaks out. Maybe the pump mechanism won't allow any leakage unless depressed? Will update later on durability too.

Tiger Math Level B - 1 for Grade 1 (Self-guided Math Tutoring Series - Elementary Math Workbook)
by Dr. Michelle Y. You
Price: $5.64
6 used & new from $4.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, bought more at full price, happily!, July 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First, yes, I got this for free through vine, but I'd buy it again and have already ordered more from the series at full price! (Keep in mind, Vine products are provided to us by Amazon, not the company who made it, and a bad review doesn't mean we might lose our free stuff pipeline, so I am completely honest and will give a 1 star just as quickly as a 5 star if deserved!)

I love these. Yes, they're easy/simple, but that's the point, and they're building good thought patterns while little minds tear through the exercises. My almost-6yo who hasn't been to kindergarten yet (2 years of pre-K to work on social skills) ate this up. Full disclosure -- I have 2 degrees in engineering, an MD, and an MPH so there's a lot of mathematical thought and discussion going on in our house.

They're smaller than a typical 8.5 X 11 workbook, but that means we can easily keep it on a nightstand and even sit in a comfy chair together and do these if we need to downplay the "work" aspect just as much as we could insist on proper seating and table work -- parents' choice!

Two pages a night is barely any work - but again, that's the point, relatively painless skill building.

The only reason I took away a star is I'd prefer a spiral binding or other binding that would allow me to really flatten the book without feeling like I'm damaging the spine - but that's only because I'd like the book to last through two kids, and I put a shop-ticket holder-like stiff sheet protector over the pages so my son can use a dry erase marker instead of permanently completing the pages.

LECHAT Perfect Match Mood Gel Polish, Magic Lace, 0.500 Ounce
LECHAT Perfect Match Mood Gel Polish, Magic Lace, 0.500 Ounce
Price: $14.02
10 used & new from $9.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of Cascade &Magic Lace & NOW (new!) Cherry Blossom, July 2, 2016
So far, I have Magic Lace and Cascade in the Lechat Mood polishes, with a few more on the way. I prefer natural/nude colors and sheers, so this was an odd departure for me. Please note I am a lifelong NON-manicurist, and my hands are not in great shape and I have funny shaped nails, but I'm still having fun.
1) How did it go on? I used LeChat's base and top coat (not a fan of the base, but that's a separate review -- it was thick and unruly). The Magic Lace went on like a dream - smooth and thin, though since I'm not an expert I left a few brush streaks since it has a pearl/frost finish. The Cascade, however, was really hard to get a smooth coat. This may have been in part due to the narrow awful brush (I'm going to use a separate brush next time), and how thick it was. After two coats it still looked nasty and uneven, so I topped it with Magic Lace before the topcoat and the combination is actually pretty nice. The Magic Lace is quite sheer. So the color of the Cascade comes through a lot. Maybe too much -- the cold phase is very orange. A bright coral-orange color. I've uploaded photos - please don't judge my poor beginner skills and funky nails of a hard worker!
2) Color - the Magic Lace is a nice sheer pale tan that goes to a lovely medium brown when cold. I just find the shimmer too much for someone of my age (cough) and preferences, and the sparkly bits make it easier to leave brush marks/lines. The Cascade is a milky white that goes to a pinky-coral orange when cold. I did a test swatch and it's really too bright for my nude-loving tendencies, but pretty. Hard to get smooth even color, as above, though. The orange is much brighter and louder in daylight than incandescent, as I tried to show in photos, but it didn't come through well.
3) Curing -- I used Sally Hansen's 6W mini lamp, and cured each coat for 60-90 seconds since it seemed so thick. I had no problems with shrinkage or wrinkling.
4) Wear -- I'll let you know in a week or two.

This was only my second home gel manicure. (Sally Hansen in a light sheer pink/nude was my first, and it was definitely easier than these. It went on thinner, smoother, and more evenly. And the nude color helped hide mistakes.) One or two bubbles because I had trouble getting thin even coats. And the color change bit is just fun!

Overall, it worked for this beginner with some effort. Colors were fairly true to the LeChat website but I recommend image-searching real-life photos. I wish they had more sheer non-shimmer nude family colors, but I'll order another one or two for fun. I have my eye on Cherry Blossom next.

!NEW! I've now tried Cherry Blossom and LOVE it. It's a slightly shimmery nude when hot and a deep wine-ish color when cold, but the shimmer is so delicate that it doesn't leave brush strokes and is fairly subtle. It changes quite easily, and when in mid-change, it forms unique blended shades. I've included some new photos (ok, a lot) trying to show you what it looks like in different temperature and lighting conditions. Again, please excuse my poor manicure skills and pathetic short nails. I'm new at this. The photos are of two coats, some a little thicker than they probably should've been, so see above about my skills! This time I cured with Spaire's 48W LED lamp, 60 seconds per layer, and it's a good bit harder than when I used the entry level Sally lamp, but still a little soft and would leave a mark if I really dug a another nail in. That flexibility may, however, help keep it from chipping.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Lowercase Letters, Grades PK - K (Spectrum)
Lowercase Letters, Grades PK - K (Spectrum)
by Spectrum
Price: $6.94
50 used & new from $2.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, affordable, basic lowercase workbook from a well-known company, May 31, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A nice, simple, straightforward workbook on lower case letters. I'm no teacher, but I hear that many kids are encouraged to start with lower case letters, since the bulk of the letters they'll see in reading are lower case. Some people prefer to teach upper and lower case together -- if that's what you want, this is not an ideal book for you.

The first 37 out of the book's 96 pages are less about writing the letters, and more about letter related activities -- "color the boxes/shapes with the letter s" or "draw a line from the ladder to the letter l" -- unless your child is already reading, you'll likely need to help them by reading the instructions.

The remainder of the book focuses on writing lower case letters, and making some basic strokes (e.g. diagonal lines). It does not go in alphabetical order -- it starts with the simpler straight line letters -- like l, I, j -- then moves to the more basic round letters like o and a, then up from there. The pages include green dots and arrows to indicate starting locations and stroke directions. Once you've explained those basics to your child, he/she will likely be able to work through many of these pages with little to no help. Later on, some direction-reading may be necessary in the "Writing Review" sections, where directions include things like "Say the name of each picture. Write the lowercase letter that names its beginning sound."

Each page has a space for the child's name at the top -- good practice for years of homework to come.

If your children are likely to need more repetition than each page provides (like mine will!), I recommend getting some clear sheet protectors and opening them up along one long edge, so you can slip them over the page and use a dry erase marker for endless re-use of the pages. Since most sheet protectors are thin, this is kind of fiddly, but relatively cheap -- for a step up, get yourself a "dry erase sleeve" or "dry erase pocket" or shop ticket holder that opens along the *long* edge (key, otherwise you'll have to tear out the pages). These are generally sturdier and easier to keep in place.

Overall, I like it. It's a solid addition to our library of pre-k and k workbooks.

Nix Ultra 2-in-1 Lice Treatment, 3.4 Fluid Ounce
Nix Ultra 2-in-1 Lice Treatment, 3.4 Fluid Ounce
Price: $17.99
10 used & new from $17.99

3.0 out of 5 stars No ingredients listed on box, Uncertain mechanism of action -- suspect it works via suffocation and lubrication to ease combing, May 31, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a public health physician and it's not unusual for me to get consulted on lice treatment. That being said -- this review is not meant to serve as medical advice in any way and is no substitute for seeing your personal physician for proper diagnosis and treatment if necessary.

My low rating is because the product doesn't explicitly list its ingredients, so I can't know its mechanism of action for sure. I have a guess based on the allergy warning, however....

First -- their are several basic ways to kill lice:
1) Chemical pesticides -- these act by disrupting lice's bodily functions in one way or another, and killing them. Examples include permethrin, which is also sometimes prescribed (in a different form) to treat scabies, and is applied to clothing by the military to combat vector borne disease; and malathion, which is an organophosphate pesticide that acts pretty much in the same way as a chemical nerve agents -- it is a variety considered to be of "relatively" low human toxicity, but you would not want to be exposed to it for a long time or to high levels of it (it is FDA approved for the treatment of lice, so safety studies have been done). There are many other pesticides that have been used against lice and many lice have become resistant to many of them.
2) Enzymes -- these break down essential components of lice and their eggs or the glue that attaches the eggs to the hair shaft. Because many of these enzymes are also produced in smaller amounts in specific parts of lice during their development, in theory lice should not become resistant to them. (Similar enzymes are used to break down stains in your laundry, by the way -- by attacking lipids/fats and/or proteins, etc.)
3) Dessicants -- heat or salt solutions that in theory literally dry out the lice to the point of death.
4) ?electrocution -- there are electrified combs that claim to zap lice. I'm not sure if they're creating enough local heat to destroy the lice or literally electrocuting them.
5) Suffocants -- oils or oily substances (e.g. mayonnaise, lots of hair conditioner, ,olive oil, etc...) that literally coat the lice to suffocate them. Some lab studies claim to have shown that certain lice have survived suffocation for "extended" periods, but I can't find a lot of good data here. There is a lot of anecdotal "evidence" out there on the web, where people claim good results with suffocant methods. They may also be getting a combined effect of suffocation and physical removal via combing, because the oily suffocant may make it easier to comb through the hair.
6) Physical removal -- physically combing every last louse and nit from the hair, and disposing of them. This takes patience, and a lot of time. But if well done, is fully effective, and "chemical-free."

So, which is Nix Ultra? I DON'T KNOW -- I can't find a listing of the active or inactive ingredients in this product, at least not on the box or the product's website at the moment. All I see is the allergy warning that says not to use it if you have an allergy to mineral oil or silicone -- so I assume it contains at least that, and it says it's "pesticide free," so I'll assume for now that's an accurate claim and it doesn't contain permethrin or malathion or friends. I've contacted the company to inquire about the contents and mechanism of action, but until they respond, I can only make an educated guess. If mineral oil and silicone are the primary ingredients, my best guess is that this product acts as a suffocant -- meaning, it suffocates the lice. As it's "conditioning," it should also facilitate combing, and fastidious combing is one of the only sure ways to remove lice and nits -- regardless of any resistance to pesticides.

Until I know exactly what's in Nix Ultra, however, I'm not willing to shell out $20+ for a small 3.4oz bottle and a very basic lice comb. I could try a much cheaper oil application if I wanted to go the suffocant route, and not worry that the tiny bottle will fail to coat my thick long hair. The comb that came in my box is a very basic, smooth-tined comb. It does not have the spiral grooves that some of my pricier combs do -- those grooves make it painful to comb some children's hair, but they may also make it easier for the comb to grab lice and nits.

UPDATE: I heard back from the company. I asked them about the ingredients and mechanism of action against lice and eggs, but received only info on the ingredients and some extensive warnings -- from Prestige Brands Customer Service:
"The Pesticide Free NIX Ultra Lice Elimination System ® is specially designed to kill both

super lice and regular lice, including eggs. Harder-to- kill Super Lice have developed

resistance to many traditional lice treatments.

Product ingredients: Dimethicone & Mineral oil

Allergy alerts/ Warnings:

1. Not for use by people with hypersensitivity to mineral oils or silicone.

2. Stop use if signs of a rash or irritation occur.

3. Avoid contact with eyes, mouth and nose. In case of contact, rinse thoroughly with water.

4. Not for use on children under 2 years of age.

5. For external use only. Do not swallow.

6. Keep out of the reach of children. If swallowed, seek medical help or contact a Poison

Control Center immediately.

7. Keep hair away from fire or flame. Do not smoke during use.

8. If spilled, clean up immediately. Product can be slippery.

9. Not for use by people with hypersensitivity to mineral oil or silicone

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to call our toll free number 1-888-

542-3546 or send an email to service@prestigebrands-custsvc.info."
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2016 6:31 AM PDT

Invicta Women's 'Angel' Swiss Quartz Stainless Steel and Brown Leather Casual Watch (Model: 18398)
Price: $69.19
3 used & new from $59.57

3.0 out of 5 stars Manly from afar, slight feminine touch up close, HEAVY and LARGE watch., May 31, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If it weren't for the mother of pearl face, and perhaps the slightly feminine band, I'd swear this was a man's watch. My husband assumed it was one when he saw me wearing it, and grimaced a bit. BUT, it's nice, for a battery powered watch. I have, ahem, big bones, and this doesn't look out of place on me.

Pros:
- Nice looking if you prefer a rugged, large watch that looks like a man's watch with a feminine touch you can only see up close.
- Keeps great time -- so far -- hasn't lost or gained a minute over the past couple months.
- Looks like a fairly pricey watch, if that matters to you.

Cons:
-HEAVY. I have to crank the strap to uncomfortable tightness to keep it from spinning around my arm.
-Not very feminine
-The band says it's leather, but it's very thin, and has an obviously artificially stamped pattern on it -- sort of pseudo lizard-skin.
- Large -- not just the face, but the band too. As I said, I have, cough, big bones, and I had the watchband set on the second to smallest hole.

Green Toys Rescue Boat with Helicopter
Green Toys Rescue Boat with Helicopter
Price: $24.99
20 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable, dishwasher safe fun in and out of the bath!, May 31, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My kids fight over this, it's so good. It's solid as heck -- despite maximal effort, they haven't broken anything. Water drains well; I have no worries about nasty mold growing in dark recesses -- plus, you can open the ship up and pop the whole thing in the dishwasher!
The rotor spins well, and the helicopter skids fit securely into the deck, but can be easily snapped in and out by my 4 and 5.5yos. They really enjoy the two characters -- I thought they were hokey, but my kids love having them to role play and rescue.
I thought it was pricey for a bath toy, but given how much money we've spent on cheap toys that we've had to toss for mold or breakage, I've changed my mind -- this is worth every penny. They play with it both in and out of the bat.

Readiness and Writing Skills Bundle - 3 Items: 1 Mickey Mouse Alphabet Learning Workbook, 1 Set of Dry Erase Markers, 1 Dry-Erase Sleeve
Offered by Redtilehouse
Price: $13.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless -- sleeve opens only from the top. NOT as shown in photo., May 28, 2016
I received a clear sleeve that only opens at the top, when the description clearly stated "opens from top and side for easy use" -- the sleeve I received is useless unless I rip the pages out of the notebook, and the sleeve was the whole reason I ordered this; because I could find much better notebooks and cheaper markers.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19