Profile for Roy F. Johnson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 356

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Roy F. Johnson RSS Feed (Columbia, TN United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Best of B.T.O.: Remastered Hits
Best of B.T.O.: Remastered Hits
Offered by MEGA Media
Price: $29.33
55 used & new from $0.08

4.0 out of 5 stars "Best of" Versus "Greatest", October 26, 2012
If getting the hits is your top priority, you might prefer to purchase "Best of" versus "Greatest".

"Best of" has 10 of 11 BTO tunes that charted on Billboard's Top 100.
"Greatest" has just 6, but both "Best of" and "Greatest" have all the tunes that made it to the top 23.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits
Price: $11.99
139 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars "Greatest" versus "Best of", October 26, 2012
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)

"Best of" has 10 of 11 BTO tunes that charted on Billboard's Top 100.

Wall Mounted Thread Checker (Measure Pitch & Diameter of Nuts, Bolts, Screws)
Wall Mounted Thread Checker (Measure Pitch & Diameter of Nuts, Bolts, Screws)
Offered by Ascent Distribution
Price: $46.55
2 used & new from $46.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product and Very Useful, October 3, 2012
The thread checker was what I wanted, and it's made in the USA. The individual checkers are all metal. Although the black metric ones look like plastic, they respond to a magnet.

The only manufacturing flaw I noted was plastic cutting debris in and around the holes in the screw diameter checker. One hole was blocked, but I seemed to be able to clear it okay.

The long layout is fine for me, although some individuals might prefer a more square layout.

The American Bible: How Our Words Unite, Divide, and Define a Nation
The American Bible: How Our Words Unite, Divide, and Define a Nation
by Stephen R. Prothero
53 used & new from $1.69

4.0 out of 5 stars A creative approach and a worthwhile overview, September 2, 2012
For me, it was educational to read cornerstone documents from American history. It was a good overview.

As an agnostic, I was not put off by the biblical structure. I thought the approach was creative. Interweaving of religion with government has indeed been an American phenomenon. And certainly not all of the passages in The American Bible promoted religion.

A few things that caught my attention:

1. How some of the documents seemed so verbose, as though the writers found verbosity necessary for credibility.

2. The parallel drawn between the Israelites of the real bible and European settlers of America, suggesting that they were both God's chosen people who had an innate right to brutally displace an indigenous population.

3. Harriet Beecher Stowe's suggestion that African Americans be repatriated to Africa. For me this added to the evidence that while Northerners might have wanted to end slavery, they were not particularly happy with the idea of former slaves migrating northward.

4. How Malcolm X, despite being a voracious reader, still took so long to realize that the Muslim teachings he received in the U.S. didn't match the teachings in the Middle East. But at least he was ready to change his mind when presented with new information.

5. George Washington's caution about becoming entangled with other nations at the expense of U.S. interests. I immediately thought of our current relationship with Israel, and then I saw the comment by George Ball confirming this concern.

6. Past parallels to current controversy, e.g. the liberal/conservative conflict and blaming the financial community for the country's ills.

7. How some of the documents presented as sacred to school children were resoundingly criticized at the time they were written.

Time Life Your Hit Parade - 1950

21. La Vie en Rose - Tony Martin - #9
22. The Tennessee Waltz - Patti Page - #1
23. Dear Hearts and Gentle People - Bing Crosby - #2
24. It Isn't Fair - Sammy Kaye - #2

"Dear Hearts and Gentle People" became a hit in 1949 and carried over into 1950.

Several artists are duplicated on this CD including The Andrew Sisters, Perry Como, Gordon Jenkins, Bing Crosby, Patti Page, The Ames Brothers, Tony Martin, Kay Starr, and Sammy Kaye. It might have been better to have more artists and less duplication.

The sound quality is generally very good. Because the source tracks are older, a little noise (tics) is sometimes present.

Fleetwood Mac: Greatest Hits
Fleetwood Mac: Greatest Hits
Price: $5.00
300 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, But Not the Best Compilation, April 27, 2012
This CD catches most of the big US hits. Missing hit singles include "Think About Me" (peaked at #20 on the Billboard 100), "Love in Store" (#22), and "Seven Wonders" (#19). Although not a US singles hit, "Diane" could have been included based on being a top 10 UK hit. And some important album tracks could have been included like "Landslide", "The Chain", "Gold Dust Woman", and "Never Going Back Again".

"No Questions Asked",which is included on this CD, may be a good tune, but it was not a singles hit in the US.

I did take the studio version of "Big Love" from this CD for my sometimes-deejay activity.

A better compilation choice might be "The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac". That two-CD set includes all of the above-mentioned tunes except for "Diane".

The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac (2CD)
The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac (2CD)
Price: $11.88
87 used & new from $5.92

4.0 out of 5 stars All the big ones, April 27, 2012
For my sometimes-deejay library, I took all but two of my Fleetwood Mac tunes from this CD. One of those two tunes was a studio version of "Big Love" rather than the live version on this CD. I took the studio version from the Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits CD. The other tune was "Diane", a fifties-sounding tune that didn't chart in the US but went to No. 9 in the UK. I downloaded that from iTunes.

The tracks on this CD seemed to be generally compressed, something that doesn't always make me happy. There also could have been better volume balancing within some tracks, and some of the fade outs seemed a bit long.

My impression of Fleetwood Mac was definitely increased after reviewing their tunes. They displayed a lot of creative effort.

Classic California Cuts
Classic California Cuts
29 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars For dance club fans, not for Beach Boy fans, April 2, 2012
This review is from: Classic California Cuts (Audio CD)
The CD reportedly contains Breakbeat, Hardcore Trance and Dub sounds. It's a series of long-playing tracks dominated by the same heavy drum beat with a thin overlay of other instruments and occasional vocal punctuations. It's almost as if the whole CD is one "tune" with a few breaks.

I suppose it might be good for a west coast club complete with flashing lights where people get mesmerized by the beat.

The sound quality is very good. The CD is a City of Angels release.

Price: $47.93
66 used & new from $13.63

4.0 out of 5 stars All the Billboard Top Pop Singles and Good Quality, March 25, 2012
This review is from: Thank You for the Music (Audio CD)
There are 66 tracks on 4 CDs. All of the tunes that reached Billboard's Top 100 Pop Singles are included and then some. The enclosed book contains 68 pages (including the covers) of very good photos, band history, song credits and discography.

Sound quality is generally excellent. I did remove some "tics" from the tracks that I ripped for my sometimes deejay activity, but most people probably wouldn't notice the difference. The tracks appear to be compressed, but not in the extreme. Still, less might have been better.

As with some other box sets, I would have preferred a package that fits neatly in the rows of my CD collection. Otherwise, the box set presents nicely.

All-Time Favorites
All-Time Favorites
5 used & new from $3.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally Good Quality, Only 10 Hits, March 25, 2012
This review is from: All-Time Favorites (Audio CD)
This CD contains all seven of Glen's hits that peaked in the top 20 on Billboard's Top Pop Singles Charts. "Gentle on My Mind", which is also included, would seem to have been a top 10 hit, but it awkwardly peaked at 62 in 1967 and then at 39 in 1968.

Two more hits are included on the CD: "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" which peaked at 26 and "Dreams of the Everyday Housewife" that peaked at 32.

It's always disappointing to see a CD with only ten tunes, but then these are generally his best.

In rounding out my collection of Glen Campbell hits for my occasional deejay activity, I also separately downloaded "Hey Little One","True Grit", "Try a Little Kindness", "Sunflower" and Glen's two hits with Bobbie Gentry:"Let It Be Me" and "All I have to Is Dream".

As far as CD quality is concerned, I thought it was generally okay. I did edit out a few "tics" which most people probably wouldn't notice. This is typical for me. However, I was unable to remove one "tic" in "By the Time I Get to Phoenix". The same "tic" was present on another copy of the CD, so I didn't use the CD track; instead I downloaded an alternative.
Comment Comment | Permalink