Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM
Profile for Mr. Thomas J. Cimicata > Reviews

Browse

Mr. Thomas J. Ci...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mr. Thomas J. Cimicata RSS Feed (Dumont, New Jersey United States)

SiriusXM
SiriusXM
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Now streaming everywhere, April 30, 2014
This review is from: SiriusXM (App)
Nice app. I especially like the ability to customize the channels to get hits, older or newer music, etc, Streaming from the app to my stereo system and a bluetooth portable speaker for the garage, workshop and yard. I would give it 5 stars but apparently some of the channels never made it into the app for some reason.

Kindle Fire (Previous Generation - 1st)
Kindle Fire (Previous Generation - 1st)
43 used & new from $41.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Biggest bang for your buck, April 17, 2012
Got the Kindle Fire less than a week ago as an early birthday gift from my wife and I've been enjoying it immensely since first opening the box. Before I even unnboxed it my wife unregistered it (it came with her Amazon account info). It was already charged (about 65%), started right up, connected with wifi no problem and registered it with my Amazon account all in about 2-3 minutes. All the Amazon apps I have on my phone were also right there in my Kindle cloud and ready to be installed immediately. This is my first Kindle (my wife has a Kindle e-reader).

A few tips for those just receiving their KF: There is no signature required on delivery so try to make sure you are home when it is delivered because it comes in a box that says "Kindle Fire" right on the box with no additional exterior wrapping, so if you live in an area where you worry about your mail/deliveries being pilfered, beware. The second tip is that I noticed that the KF would not update its system files to 6.3 until it was fully charged and only then would it download the update, so if you are wondering why your KF does not automatically update itself like it is supposed to, try charging it fully first.

The display is amazingly good and the colors and resolution are terrific in my opinion. The only adjustment I've made to it is to turn down the brightness at night to be easier on the eyes. Another really great feature is the ability to change fonts and font sizes on the fly so sometimes I read without my glasses, something only those who wear glasses to read might appreciate.

Apps I have on my tiny 3.1 inch phone look completely different, much more detailed and in vibrant colors. Games like Angry Birds also play much more smoothly and quickly without any glitches.

Although I am a pretty fair hacker (I have my Stone Age Motorola Backflip rooted and running Cyanogenmod 7), I did not and probably will not root the KF or install an alternate OS or launcher. I really like the carousel and the KF Android modified system is good enough for my needs. I even have remote access to my computer and can play any files on it through my kindle using a free app named Team Viewer available at the Amazon app store.

For those who just absolutely, positively have to have Google Play (Andriod Market) apps on the KF but don't want to root the KF for whatever reason (it voids the warranty is one good reason), that was pretty easy as well and most, though not all, run just fine on the KF (excluding widgets). To accomplish that easily and quickly I just installed a free Google Play app on my phone named File Expert, used it to backup the apps I wanted from my phone as .apk files (just a few clicks necessary), then copied the apk files from my phone to a folder on my desktop computer. Just a suggestion, but I also suggest installing Dropbox on your android phone as well before doing this. Also, install one of the free file explorers on your KF (I used ES File Explorer, available on Amazon app store for free) so you can find the files once you transfer them to the KF.

Then I connected my KF to my computer (using the micro USB from my phone)and copied and pasted the apk files from my computer desktop folder to a folder called Android Apps I made on my KF with ES File Explorer. After pasting simply go to that folder on your KF in ES File Explorer and click on the apk files and presto, they are installed. Now I have my Giants, Yankees and NFL apps that I can't live without on my KF and am a happy camper.

Note that this only has to be done once because after you install Dropbox on your KF in the future all you have to do to get your apk files there is to upload the apk to Dropbox to make it available on your KF. Alternately, you can also (though I haven't tried this) email the apk files to your kindle and just click on them to install them.

So far I have found the Amazon experience with Prime to be excellent and will probably subscribe to Prime when my free 30 trial is up. The book deals to Prime members, borrowing rights and videos available seem to be worth it. I would be interesting in hearing from others, however, as to whether Netflix (for movies and videos) or Hulu are better deals.

Kodak EasyShare Z990 12 MP Digital Camera with 30x Optical Zoom, HD Video Capture and 3.0-Inch LCD
Offered by Speedy Mobile
Price: $279.99
23 used & new from $112.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A bargain superzoom, May 21, 2011
Low light pics are really amazing with this camera. I took a pic in my family room taken at 8:30 at night in smart mode with no flash and the room lit by only the light coming through the doorway from the kitchen and the TV. While I realize you wouldn't want to take pics of people at the shutter speed selected by smart mode (.3), the pic came out with the room appearing as though it was 2 pm on a sunny day.

Some reviews have said you can't save settings when you shut off the camera but that is not completely true. If you shoot in PASM modes it will save your settings in those modes even if you switch modes or shut off the camera. While it may not save settings in "scenes" and special features (like shooting fireworks or sunsets) those are preset anyway as soon as you dial to them.

I am no photo expert but the menus seem very intuitive and easy to navigate.

The main reason I bought this camera is that it gives me a lot of versatility with its zoom and low light capacity. I hate flash photography and I like a lot of sports and outdoor action shots of family and friends.

The zoom is 30X optical while in smart mode and another 5x digital zoom when shooting in PASM modes (which allow you to override a host of presets that you can't do (except to shut off the flash) in smart mode. Though you cannot zoom manually, the toggle for the zoom is on a ring surrounding the shutter button and very easy to use without taking your eyes off the subject of your pictures. It responds instantly and does not require you to zoom in and out to get where you want like my old digital camera (Sony Cybershot DSC-S70).

Very little lag between pushing the shutter button and the pic being taken imo, especially in low light where you'd expect the camera to think about it for a while before shooting. As for complaints that you have to wait until the preview pic goes away you can easily overcome that by pushing the shutter button half way which clears the screen and allows you to take another pic right away.

One other thing. I would never buy a camera without a view finder in addition to the lcd screen and the z990, besides having a very bright 3" lcd which is excellent, has an EVR (electronic view finder) with all the same info you get on the lcd and which is very useful in bright sun when you cannot see the lcd. If you want to use the EVR instead you just hit a button to the top left of the lcd and the lcd turns off and the EVR on.

Though I am no expert at photography I have taken thousands of pics over the years with my trusty Konica Autoreflex TC SLR and my Sony point and shoot. But from what I can see this new Kodak offering beats them by far. I really think I am going to enjoy this camera.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2012 10:46 AM PST

Fellowes 32177 Powershred PS-77Cs Shredder
Fellowes 32177 Powershred PS-77Cs Shredder

5.0 out of 5 stars This shredder is a real workhorse, January 20, 2007
I've had it about a month now and it has performed beautifully. In one day I filled the basket about 6 times shredding old client files (I am a lawyer) and trust account records to clear my office of piles of old, dead files in a way that safely protects my clients' identities and confidential information. I've had other shredders before but nothing that compares to this one. The capacity is supposed to be 12 pages maximum but I've fed it as many as 15-20 pages with no problems. It has only overheated once and that was after about 45 minutes of almost constant shredding. After cool down it was right back to normal.

Black & Decker GC200 Gizmo  Can Opener, White
Black & Decker GC200 Gizmo Can Opener, White
37 used & new from $27.07

1.0 out of 5 stars Great while the batteries last, December 11, 2006
The Gizmo uses 2 2.4V rechargeable NiCd batteries that are impossible to find anywhere but directly from Black & Decker. Mine lasted about a year and they quoted me $21 plus shipping for new batteries. Do yourself a favor and get an opener that uses ordinary batteries instead if you want a cordless.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2007 12:00 PM PST