Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th
Profile for benu > Reviews

Browse

benu's Profile

Customer Reviews: 30

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

benu RSS Feed (New York)

Offered by Fulfillment Express US
Price: $22.50
26 used & new from $18.76

5.0 out of 5 stars An Exemplary Adaptation, August 20, 2015
As an admirer of Ms Clarke's magnificent book of the same name, I considered skipping this adaption to avoid disappointment. Nevertheless, I watched it. And I loved it. Here's why:

1. THE MINISERIES DOESN'T OVERREACH
It isn't trying to recreate the entire book. Such a feat is impossible, at any rate. If you loved your own image of the characters and scenes from the book, have no fear: you can maintain your own version after seeing this. (I now have two "versions" of this tale -- the one I created in my head while reading, the one this miniseries has created. They shall coexist, happily.)

2. THE SCREENPLAY WRITING IS **BRILLIANT**.
This is the adaptation by which we should measure all others. Some of the characters shift places, some exit the world in different ways, some of the plot points have locations and actions completely altered. But all of it fits together to stay true to the overall thrust of the story. We should have expected that such a carefully crafted novel would receive equal treatment for the adaptation. Notably, I find (1) Jonathan Strange more passionate than his book version, and (2) Childermass much more assertive with Mr Norrell. But these are necessary to (1) advance the cause of English magic more quickly, and to (2) get Norrell out of his library and into action being the stubborn little man that he is.
At one point, I exclaimed to my wife "I can't believe they're going to leave out the [spoiler omitted! more spoilers omitted!] part!" Then, about a minute later, they put it in at a slightly different moment. Delightful.

3. ARABELLA AT THE END!
For those anxiously awaiting a sequel, Arabella's actions and words at the end of the story are tantalizing indeed. There give hints of things to come, which, assuming Ms Clarke approved the script, will give you a little more to speculate about as we anxiously await the sequel that will, surely, come to pass. Hopefully before many of her faithful readers pass.

REGRETS
Any fan of the book will have a few regrets. This is not intended to detract from the adaptation -- edits were necessary.
Alas:
[mild spoilers in here. I hope they're mild. If you haven't read the book, no need to read them anyway]
- The secret of the moss-oak is given away as soon as Stephen digs it up. So when you-know-what happens at the end of section 2, we already knew-that-was-going-to-happen, if you get my drift. (If you don't get my drift, you shan't regret missing this moment. Be grateful.)
- As mentioned by many, and will continue to be mentioned, John Uskglass looks surprisingly Goth.
- The entire John Uskglass moment lacked some of that King-to-Loyal-Servant feeling that, in the book, felt like Childermass's redemption. I wanted Childermass to have that moment, and he didn't get it. Shucks.

Get yourself a copy of the book and the movie. Bask in the excellent storytelling you'll find in both.

Galaxy S5 intelliGLASS HD - The Smarter Samsung Glass Screen Protector by intelliARMOR To Guard Against Scratches and Drops. HD Clear With Max Touchscreen Accuracy.

5.0 out of 5 stars intelliARMOR takes the cracks, and not your phone!, July 20, 2015
After about 6 months with this screen protector, my kids had done some damage to a small part of the screen, and an unfortunate slide tackle in a family-reunion soccer game left a second crack across the middle of the screen. I deserved the cracks. But I was pleased that the screen protector had largely kept the screen together in spite of these errors.

Then I took the screen protector off and.... wait for it....

NO CRACKS!

That's right -- all the cracks were on the screen protector and not the phone itself. The protector was such high-quality that when it cracked, I thought it was the original screen! Now for another $10, I my phone is as good as new and protected again. By far, the best screen protector I have ever used. Worth it, worth it, worth it.

Beginner 3/4 Size Violin with Free Carrying Case - Natural Color
Beginner 3/4 Size Violin with Free Carrying Case - Natural Color

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh... sort of a good investment, March 10, 2014
CONS: After about 9 months, the bow had broken ($50 quote to repair) and the strings have difficulty staying in tune longer than a day or so (new pegs, repairman said $40-$100 to replace). We also had to replace a couple broken strings, but I imagine that's not unexpected.

PROS: With this violin, we were able to determine that our daughter is indeed interested in playing, and now we are going to rent a higher quality violin from a local music store for $15/month. Had we rented over the past 9 months, we would have paid around $135, so in that sense we've saved some money. And now we have a beater violin that the younger kids can toy around with if they want.

IN SUM: Not a great violin, but if you're willing to [potentially] throw away some cash just to get SOMETHING in your hands, this could be a good investment. But don't expect it to last very long.

Winsome Wood 29-Inch Saddle Seat Bar Stool, Black
Winsome Wood 29-Inch Saddle Seat Bar Stool, Black
Price: $21.41
38 used & new from $15.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid stool, not too complicated to assemble, October 29, 2013
If you were to compare the assembly of this stool to something you might buy at IKEA, it's going to be a bit more complicated. More parts, with directions that are a bit more difficult to follow. The stool is held together with wood screws that are tightened with a provided hex key. The screw heads strip fairly easily, so be careful when tightening. There are nice wood plugs of matching color to cover the screw holes. A very nice chair overall. Nice and sturdy.

Mueller Wrist Brace W/splint, Black, One Size
Mueller Wrist Brace W/splint, Black, One Size
Price: $6.55
19 used & new from $6.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful to relieve wrist pain for computer users, October 8, 2013
I do a LOT of computer work. For years, I was taking ibuprofen regularly to reduce the pain that would sometimes reach up to my elbow. Wearing this brace while working, as well as with other wrist-strenuous activities, has significantly reduced that pain. I almost never take ibuprofen for my wrist these days.

The brace makes it a little more difficult to work at a computer. Essentially it prevents you from curling your wrist down , which -- if you're having pain -- you're probably doing regularly!

The brace has three straps. Two small straps do the standard work, while the longer strap can be wrapped around wherever you want the most support. Some days I wrap near the bottom of the wrist, some days I strap up near the hand.

My only complaint is that after a month or so, the metal splint had cut its way through the top of the leather sheath that it fits into. It still holds in place for the most part -- I have to push it back in a bit after an hour or so of use.

NitroAV 8-Port FireWire 800/1394b Professional Hub/Repeater
NitroAV 8-Port FireWire 800/1394b Professional Hub/Repeater
2 used & new from $189.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good accessory for new iMacs, August 13, 2013
With the new iMacs that only have a thunderbolt connection, this device has become important to me. While Apple seems to feel that Firewire is a thing of the past, they're still the most economical choice for fast, mass-storage devices. I use a thunderbolt-to-firewire adapter to connect this to the iMac, then run it to the Nitro. This cleans up the cabling as well -- no more daisy chaining!

Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter
Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but it works, August 13, 2013
I wish Apple wasn't pushing thunderbolt so hard, but if you want a new mac and want to keep using firewire devices, this little fella gets the job done!

Coleman Montana 8-Person Tent
Coleman Montana 8-Person Tent
Price: $143.49
58 used & new from $115.00

4.0 out of 5 stars good tent, mediocre case, August 13, 2013
I use this tent for camping with my kids. It's MUCH easier to set up when you have two adults, but I've done it with the help of my 10-year-old (it will take longer). The poles are color-coded to match the areas where they slide into the tent, which is nice. There are lightweight poles that give a rigid shape to the front "door", which my kids really like.

Like many large-ish tents, this doesn't do very well in windy conditions. On a nice night, you can keep the rainfly off and have a great view of the stars through the mesh part of the roof at night.

My only complaint about this tent is the case. It's barely large enough to hold the tent and poles. While this can be helpful for packing small, the zipper on the case is cheap, and the fabric is thin. So if you are going to use this tent a lot, you'll probably have to get yourself a different case for it before long.

Rode Micro Boom Pole Telescopic Microphone Extension
Rode Micro Boom Pole Telescopic Microphone Extension
Price: $49.00
20 used & new from $40.00

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY useful for small-crew film work, August 13, 2013
When I am traveling on a film shoot with a small crew, I always pack this along. It's lightweight, solid, and gets the job done. Keep in mind that it isn't particularly long, so you'll need to remain relatively close to the subject in comparison with other boom poles. I use some velcro straps to hold the XLR cable to the pole.

When you get this pole, make sure you get used to how to tighten and loosen the tubes. I've heard some complaints about it, but I haven't had any trouble with it. The main thing is you shouldn't over-tighten or over-loosen the thing, and it works brilliantly.

GTS � Premium Laser Drum Unit Compatible for Brother DR420
GTS � Premium Laser Drum Unit Compatible for Brother DR420
Offered by GIGATONER
Price: $14.00
15 used & new from $9.12

2.0 out of 5 stars Error messages with Brother HL-2270DW, June 27, 2013
I ordered two of these. I received an error light with both of them when installing into my Brother HL-2270DW printer. Installing a drum from Brother worked fine, however. (Except they cost a lot more!)

This drum looked fine to me, so I don't know what the problem was. Amazon took it back, however, which I appreciate.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3