Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for Adrian > Reviews

Browse

Adrian's Profile

Customer Reviews: 338
Helpful Votes: 2084

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Adrian RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Spellmonger: Book One Of The Spellmonger Series
Spellmonger: Book One Of The Spellmonger Series
Price: $3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellmonger- Book 1 of Spellmonger series., July 19, 2016
After reading about 30-40 books by kindle authors this year, it's refreshing to read a novel by a real author, someone of high quality whom I can genuinely call a wordsmith. I absolutely loved this book and am a third way through the second, and have already downloaded the third.

Many kindle authors (which I feel is a real category of authors- given the sheer number of them) might take the time to write the first one decently, but them they try to make a living by sheer volume, and I think they type their books as they think it, do some spell checking, and then upload to amazon asap.

In contrast, Mr Mancour's style is excellent. I fear I lack the ability to explain it adequately. The main character has excellent clarity of thought. He's able to see a situation and parse it out into the bare facts, and then deduce schemes, plots, types of spells, strategies around him. He somehow is able to produce humour throughout most of the books. The pacing is excellent, and there is always, so far, two concurrent storylines- the current battle, and what has occurred in the past. And his sentences are a clear sign of his superior grasp of English. Here's a tiny example : "It was a seething pit of goblin rage and elderitch magic". Many normal, authors would have simply said "The goblins were really angry"

In short, I totally loved Spellmonger, have a high opinion of Mr Mancour, have found the second book to be an excellent continuation of the first (thus far), and if anyone wants to expand their use of English, and see how some people have a clearer understanding of the world around them, please read this book.

I swear I was not paid to write this.

Rise of the Ultra Fury (Universe in Flames Book 5)
Rise of the Ultra Fury (Universe in Flames Book 5)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Universe in Flames- Rise of the Ultra Fury- Book 5, July 13, 2016
I've read all 5 Universe in Flames books in the last few days and found them to be a decent bit of escapism. They aren't the most in depth novels, but the pace moves along smoothly, there's a decent villain, and the author does a nice job making the "Gods" seem more like long lived beings with more powers than the "newer races", but ultimately still rely on technology, and they can be defeated, albeit with a lot of difficulty.

There's a lot of high powered beings in play now. This is where the author can either make the story good and get carried away and dig himself a hole. Several new characters come into play- good, bad, and neutral.

I wouldn't say that I'm in love with the author, but I do find the series compelling enough to keep reading. I hope this isn't going to be one of those never ending series which reaches Book 35 because it's a cashcow.

I have to admit I am luck I have Kindle Unlimited, so this book feels like it is "free"
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2016 3:39 AM PDT

The Beginning of the End (Universe in Flames Book 4)
The Beginning of the End (Universe in Flames Book 4)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Universe in Flames- The Beginning of the End- Book 4, July 13, 2016

Things are getting out of control now. Chase continues to build up his powers but finds it's not enough. New and powerful beings from ancient tales make their appearance.

I have to admit I am lucky I have Kindle Unlimited, so this book feels like it is "free"

Destination Oblivion (Universe in Flames) (Volume 3)
Destination Oblivion (Universe in Flames) (Volume 3)
9 used & new from $12.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Universe in Flames- Destination Oblivion Book 3, July 13, 2016

I wouldn't say that I'm in love with the author, but I do find the series compelling enough to keep reading. Found his treatment of Chase doing anything for Sarah bit .... much, although it's not an issue ignored by the author.

Nice to see that there's a theme of family, friends, teamwork.

Fury to the Stars (Universe in Flames) (Volume 2)
Fury to the Stars (Universe in Flames) (Volume 2)
15 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Universe in Flames- Fury to The Stars- Book 2, July 13, 2016

Earth - Last Sanctuary (Universe in Flames) (Volume 1)
Earth - Last Sanctuary (Universe in Flames) (Volume 1)
17 used & new from $10.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Universe in Flames- Book 1, July 8, 2016
A 3.5 star book, which I will round up to 4 stars, to be nice to the author.

As many people have noted, there are strong signs of Battlestar Galactica in this book. Finding the mythical lost world of Earth, the main hero being an ace pilot like Starbuck, etc.

Yet in a way this book is much bigger. There is some confusion whether or not the setting is the galaxy, or the universe, but there are many more alien species out there, whereas Galactica just had one- Humans. There is also more innovation, so while Galactica just had the same ships, which were becoming more and more run down, the good guys are getting more and more powerful and advanced.

So there is potential for this series. I have only read the first book, so it remains to be seen how it goes.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2016 7:28 AM PDT

Guilty Spark (Dark Magic Enforcer) (Volume 4)
Guilty Spark (Dark Magic Enforcer) (Volume 4)
by Al K. Line
Price: $11.99
7 used & new from $9.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Guilty Spark- Dark Enforcer Book 4- Mild Spoilers, July 4, 2016
Entertaining, but, like the last one, too short. It's well paced, we meet a couple of new supernatural races, and opens itself to becoming international in the next book.

Best if newcomers start at Book 1. If you like reading ebooks like this, I'd suggest getting Kindle Unlimited.

Maxxis Overdrive Elite Tire - 700 x 35c, Folding, Belted, Black/Black
Maxxis Overdrive Elite Tire - 700 x 35c, Folding, Belted, Black/Black
Offered by Niagara Cycle Works
Price: $54.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally recommend these tyres, July 3, 2016
I got these to replace my stock tyres which wore out after 3000km on my Raleigh Misceo 1.0. So far it has lasted about 5000km, the rear tyre got it's first puncture from a tiny staple 2 months ago. Both front and rear tyres look barely worn, which gels with other reviews I've seen on other sites. My bike died 1 month ago and I've put 700 x 28 tyres on my new bike so I'll use these as spares.

Totally recommend these tyres. Great grip, very durable, attractive and have a reflective side strip.

Panaracer Pasela PT Folding Bead Tire
Panaracer Pasela PT Folding Bead Tire
Price: $39.69 - $54.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic Pasela PT tyre. 700 x 28, July 3, 2016
I wanted to change my 700x40 Schwalbe CX Comp from a used bike I recently purchased so I went to my local Giant bike shop (only 1.2km away) When I asked what 28mm tyre they had, they had these ones. I was really skeptical at first when I saw "Panasonic" at the top- obviously I thought Panasonic only made electronic goods. But I know this shop only carries quality stuff so I gave it a go, and I'm glad I did. I admit going from a 40 to a 28 means a huge change, but besides the obvious improvement in speed and reduction in rolling resistance, it feels very grippy and I felt confident with them straight out of the bat. This is unlike some other tyres I've tried.

I can recommend this tyre :)

Shadow Play: Black Magic Outlaw, Book 2
Shadow Play: Black Magic Outlaw, Book 2
Offered by Audible, Inc. (US)

5.0 out of 5 stars Shadow Play- Black Magic Outlaw Book 2, June 28, 2016
I read hundreds of kindle books every 1-2 years and this is one of the better offerings from the huge array of ebook authors.

Like the first book in the series, it's a bit messy in the beginning, with the author trying to simultaneously shove us face first into a grubby blur of action, while trying , in a somewhat clumsy manner, to explain the magical world the main character lives in. But after that, it moves quite smoothly and it's quite fun, with some twists, and lots of action. It seems the conspiracy which swallowed Cisco's life, is alive and well, and larger than he thought possible.

The fact that this book has so few reviews is a plus- it means he has not paid for a bucket load of 5 star reviews which gush about how awesome it is.

I do recommend this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20