Profile for benboy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

benboy "Conned-sumer" RSS Feed (SAUSALITO, CA, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Roth Unbound: A Writer and His Books
Roth Unbound: A Writer and His Books
by Claudia Roth Pierpont
Price: $21.71
59 used & new from $3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars better than a bio, February 4, 2014
Pierpont's work creates a most lucid window into the mind of Philip Roth, well researched, thorough, and written with a wonderful style.

The Captain and Mr. Shrode: A firsthand account of the voyage of Maverick
The Captain and Mr. Shrode: A firsthand account of the voyage of Maverick
by Tony Johnson
Price: $14.43
28 used & new from $10.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Sail on, sailor, July 20, 2013
An enjoyable and entertaining writing style, including the chapter headings based on song titles. A welcome antidote to America's Cup. You'll love it.

MIMO UM-710S USB Powered 7" Swivel LCD Screen Mini Display
MIMO UM-710S USB Powered 7" Swivel LCD Screen Mini Display
Offered by Mimo Monitors
Price: $154.99
8 used & new from $92.72

5.0 out of 5 stars small is beautiful, November 9, 2012
I'm using this with a mac (download the driver) and it works great. Using it for "mixer" window on Logic, and a "viewer" window for FInal Cut Pro. Good resolution, small footprint and very mobile.

Lack of consensus in blood alcohol concentration legal limits: a dilemma for health educators.: An article from: Journal of Alcohol & Drug Education
by Manoj Sharma
Edition: Digital
Price: $5.95

1.0 out of 5 stars not worth the money ..., January 5, 2012
For $6, I think we can expect more than a 900 word abstract. This is a disappointing "summary" of research.

LG BD670 3D Wireless Network Blu-ray Disc Player with Smart TV
LG BD670 3D Wireless Network Blu-ray Disc Player with Smart TV
4 used & new from $77.04

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Give Up Your Roku Box, December 30, 2011
I bought this intending to put my Roku box to sleep. Sadly, I reinstalled Roku last night.
As a disc player, this thing is great. But the wireless is very 2002. Every time I enter the wireless ("Premium") section, it either reboots, makes me sign in again, forgets that I'm wireless, not wired, or hangs in an update (which it is constantly doing). My Roku box in the same location never had a problem. If I can get the wireless working on the LG, I've often had to re-sign in to Netflix. That might be tolerable if the key input device didn't have a delay causing you to constantly punch in the wrong letters and numbers. Certain members of my household became very frustrated trying to use the device when I wasn't present, and so Roku is back. All hail Roku. I would have returned the LG but I destroyed the box. Ah well. It does play discs really well.

Novatel Wireless Ovation MC760 Broadband2Go Prepaid USB Modem (Virgin Mobile)
Novatel Wireless Ovation MC760 Broadband2Go Prepaid USB Modem (Virgin Mobile)
5 used & new from $36.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Still No Support for OS 10.7 (LION), October 26, 2011
Mac Users - It worked fine until I upgraded to OS 10.7 Lion. Customer service is aware of the problem but doesn't know if or when a fix will be available. Therefore, the company's ad is a bit misleading as it does not work on all versions higher than OS 10.3. If you're running OSX Lion bypass this one until there's a fix.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2011 10:03 AM PST

All In Against the IRS: Every Gambler's Tax Guide
All In Against the IRS: Every Gambler's Tax Guide

5.0 out of 5 stars You Win Even if You Lose, February 10, 2011
In the excitement of a big win or the disappointment of a big loss, a gambler rarely thinks about the tax consequences. This book has your back, totally. I'm in the "casual" category of gamblers and I wasn't sure what tax rules applied -- I was seriously surprised to learn a lot of stuff -- for example, when the clubs and casinos report your winnings to the IRS and how I'm supposed to report winnings and losses on my 1040. This is one of those books that are perfect for the Kindle.

Flip UltraHD Video Camera - Black, 8 GB, 2 Hours (3rd Generation)
Flip UltraHD Video Camera - Black, 8 GB, 2 Hours (3rd Generation)
Offered by Emier Style
Price: $249.99
29 used & new from $99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning about Flip Port, October 7, 2010
I'm a Flip lover, have had four of them and immediately got this new model because of the Flip Port and possibility of hooking up external mics. I was surprised to see how close it was to the tripod screw. I've tried it on four tripods and every one blocks access to the Flip Port. In other words, the only way to use the Flip Port is in handheld mode; no tripod. For video casting and similar uses, that's a strange design flaw. I asked Flip customer support and they have no tripods that would allow access to the port. It's a real head scratcher and something to consider if the Flip Port is your reason for making the purchase.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2010 2:26 PM PST

Moral Panics and the Copyright Wars
Moral Panics and the Copyright Wars
by William Patry
Price: $27.14
85 used & new from $1.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond the Valley of the Copyright Nerds, August 13, 2009
I've read other policy explorations by copyright experts -- Copyrights and Copy Wrongs, Copyright's Paradox, Copyright's Highway,The Future of Ideas, and Digital Copyright -- and Patry's book is distinguishable on a few levels. Most importantly, it's better written. Patry's use of language and metaphors (he discusses the distinction between metaphor and simile) is a few steps ahead of his colleagues and makes his thesis more palatable and an enjoyable read. As for Patry's brain, that also may be a few steps ahead of his colleagues. Not only is he able to accurately report on the shipwreck of copyright law (and to prescribe a reasonable approach for towing and repairing it) but he presents this approach in a simple, persuasive style. Finally, Patry's 'big picture' overview -- as painful as it may be for many of us copyright owners -- is the perspective of someone with practical, and not merely academic experience. I'm not sure if the appeal of this book extends beyond copyright nerds, but it should.

The Indie Band Survival Guide: The Complete Manual for the Do-It-Yourself Musician
by Randy Chertkow
Price: $13.51
110 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a competing author and I dig this book, September 10, 2008
I'm the author of a book that competes (in a way) with this book and I have to say I am totally into "The Indie Band Survival Guide." It has a very fresh view of what it's like to be in an indie band -- so fresh that it should be called "Indie Band 2.0." It throughly analyzes the revenue streams for indie bands in this post-music biz blowdown era and provides lots and lots of realistic and helpful info.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3