Profile for G. Ishii > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

G. Ishii RSS Feed (Hawaii)

Page: 1 | 2
Tivoli Audio PALBRN Portable Audio Laboratory (PAL) AM / FM Radio, Earth Brown
Tivoli Audio PALBRN Portable Audio Laboratory (PAL) AM / FM Radio, Earth Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Speaker, BAD coating, June 29, 2013
I've had this speaker for about 8 years now and it has been a great portable speaker. Good sound, precision tuning, rechargeable battery.

Rechargeable battery lasted about 6 years, which I then replaced with a unit I found on Amazon, that currently sells for about $24.

My biggest gripe about this radio is the rubberized coating which started to deteriorate a few years ago, and is now so sticky that it gets sticky stuff on your hands when you handle it. I have read on some forums that the sticky can be removed with "Goo Gone", so I tried it and it actually did remove the stickiness and left the surface smooth and shiny (although it did take repeated wiping). Only one huge problem; you can't wipe the front or it will remove all the lettering. I also read on a forum that someone was able to exchange their sticky radio for a new one. So, I e-mailed Tivoli and they told me that they could replace the cabinet for $50. I paid about $130 for the radio. So, to me, that's ridiculous (nearly 40% of what I originally paid).

If you do get this radio, don't get the one with the rubberized coating, or you'll have sticky fingers in a few years.

One more thing. This radio plays only in mono. So, there are some songs that you won't be able to hear the instruments because of the way it was recorded. I don't know why the designers didn't pick up on this and merge the left/right separation together.

Altec Lansing iM227 Orbit MP3 Speaker
Altec Lansing iM227 Orbit MP3 Speaker
Offered by DEALPROS
Price: $14.50
9 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good while it lasted, June 22, 2013
For the price, this speaker sounded decent, and had some good qualities; like an on/off button with light designation, tool-less battery replacement, self-contained cord storage (although cord is really short), and good looks/solid build. However, longevity is not one of it's good traits. I had mine for about a year and a half, then it suddenly stopped working. Tried replacing the batteries , but still doesn't work properly. I can hear some sound coming out from the speaker, but it is very faint, so it went into file 13.

Philips F93087600 Bulb/Bare Lamp (Without Housing) for Sony XL-5100 XL5100 Projectors
Offered by Exclusivebulbs
Price: $94.99
2 used & new from $87.73

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!, March 23, 2013
This review is for a Philips BARE bulb (no housing). Item was received in about a week (to Hawaii), was purchased on Amazon and sold by Lamps Direct. The lamp was specially packed by the seller to ensure its safe arrival and included documentation on how to spot a genuine Philips lamp.

I'm relatively handy at fixing things so it wasn't to hard to disassemble the original housing and replace the bulb. You can go to YouTube for videos on how to do it. The only tricky part was making sure you know how the spring goes back in. Otherwise, it was a snap to do and took me about 5-10 minutes to do. Just need a phillips screwdriver and a socket wrench or pliers. Make sure not to touch the lens, because I've seen others comment on how the oils from your hand can reduce the life of the bulb; even cause it to crack?

Other reviewers have commented on how their picture had a yellow tinge after they replaced the bulb, but I had no such problem. Impossible, at this point, to tell without being able to do a side-by-side comparison, but it seems just as bright as the original. The yellowing other people have experienced could be either from a totally different problem or an generic bulb. When I replaced the bulb, I also took the whole back panel apart and cleaned both fans. With this particular TV (Sony 60" SXRD), it is imperative to keep the fans free of dust and debris.

So far, so good after a week, but I will edit this review if things change...

UPDATE:
Today is June 4, 2013, approximately 3 months after installing the bulb, and it's still working!

Waste King L-2600 Legend Series 1/2 HP Continuous Feed Operation Garbage Disposal
Price: Click here to see our price
31 used & new from $67.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Waste King 1/2 HP Disposer, August 22, 2011
Had a dead ISE Badger 5, 1/2 HP disposer and did without it for a looooooong while. Finally decided to tackle the job of replacing it, and through my normal research which starts with Amazon, I decided on the Waste King L-1001 Legend Series 1/2 HP Continuous Feed Operation Waste Disposer mostly because of price, and thought that a 1HP would be overkill for our purpose. We don't really throw harder items like chicken bones and watermelon rinds down the drain, so a 1/2 HP disposer was good enough.

Installation was fairly easy. I used the EZ installation method, and it was. The unit comes completely assembled, so all you have to do is disassemble it and re-assemble it onto your sink. My sink had a 3-bolt mount and was quite easy to remove (instructions on removal is in the manual). My old ISE was hard wired to the disposer switch, so I was unable to use the supplied plug. I had to cut the plug off and wire it to the new disposer, which wasn't all that bad but took extra time to complete (I had to go buy a 3/8" wire clamp, as it wasn't included). The hardest part of the installation was cutting the existing pipes to fit the new disposer, as the new disposer's exit pipe wasn't in the same spot as the old one. Plus, once everything was in and checked for leaks, I did find a leak in the trap, so back to the home store I went to get a new one. So, if you're installing a disposer with really old plumbing be sure to double check all connections for leaks, and I would recommend replacing metal pipes with PVC. PVC is better because it won't rust and is easier to install; no pipe wrench necessary!

So far, it seems to work well enough on soft foods, and is a little quieter than our old ISE. I will have to update this review after the disposer is used for a sufficient amount of time.

UPDATE:
It's been about 2 years since I installed this disposer, and it's still kicking!

Karcher 2.642-182.0 Pressure Washer Trigger Gun With 25-Foot Hose And Quick Connect (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Replacement!!, July 6, 2011
I have a Karcher K3.91M, 1700psi pressure washer and after a few years the hose developed a hole and gave out. So, as usual, I checked Amazon for a replacement, and, as usual, they had it; And it was $10 USD cheaper than another site I checked. I ordered the Karcher 2.642-182.0 Pressure Washer Trigger Gun With 25-Foot Hose And Quick Connect and got it within about a week (I live in Hawaii).

The replacement gun and hose are the newer "quick-connect" version that my old gun and hose didn't have. So I was stoked to see that it was, since I couldn't tell from the product's picture or description. Set-up was a no-brainer. Just had to screw the coupler onto the machine, attach the hose to the coupler, then attach the other end of the hose to the gun (which also is quick- connect). Note: Either end of the hose can fit into the gun or coupler. The old attachments fit perfectly into the new gun, which is almost, if not exactly, the same size as the old gun.

I'm actually kind of glad that the hose broke and had to buy a replacement, because now it'll be a lot easier to attach the hose to the machine and it didn't cost me all that much ($35 USD).
Check out my pictures at the product page.

Altec Lansing FX3022 Expressionist Bass Desktop Speakers
Altec Lansing FX3022 Expressionist Bass Desktop Speakers
2 used & new from $249.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, Not Great, July 4, 2011
I needed a replacement for my JBL "Creature" 2.1 speaker system -for my desktop computer- as they were 7 years old and developed tears in the satellite speakers. It was a good sounding system for its size(the satellites only took up 3 square inches of space). Anyways, I started my search on Amazon -as usual- and was a little overwhelmed by the choices now, compared to 7 years ago (where has the time gone?). I first looked at replacing the JBL's with another "Creature" system but was a little skeptical about the $70 price tag, as I had paid about $100 for mine. As it turns out, by reading some others' reviews, the quality has diminished. So, onto the next prospect...

I looked at the M-Audio AV-40, Creative Gigaworks T-20 and T40, as well as a Logitech. It was pretty much between the Creative Labs T-20 or T-40 and the Altec Lansing FX3022 Expressionist Bass Desktop Speakers, as I read quite a few reviewers saying that they had trouble with the M-Audio speakers dying on them. I had never heard a Creative Labs speaker before and had a good experience with Altec Lansing before (I have a great sounding Altec Lansing InMotion IM-7), so I decided on the FX3022. I also kinda liked the way they looked, and felt that the incorporated "sub" would provide a fuller sound, as I had planned on using the JBL "Creature" sub along with the AL's.

My first reaction (like a few other reviewers') upon taking these speakers out of the box was, "these are huge!" The base of the speaker is 5" in diameter, tapers up to about 2.75" in diameter at the top and stands 10" tall. Compared to the "Creature's" miniscule footprint, these are humongous. My first listen to these speakers was splashed with a little disappointment. The bass is decent; doesn't really reach down low like a full-size "subwoofer", but is adequate considering it's size. The disappointing part was the tweeter's output. For songs with vocals, it sounded as though the singer was a step or two away from the microphone at times, and in parts where the band came into the song, the singer was diluted in the music. However, after a few hours of listening to them, the sound was a lot clearer and fuller (I'm not sure if they got "broken in" or I just got used to the way it sounded.) But, as other reviewers have said, the midrange is not outstanding. The JBL sub doesn't make a huge difference but does round out the lows and creates a fuller sound. I had to use a 3.5mm headphone splitter to connect both.

I listen to mostly rock music, like metal, alternative/hard/classic rock, and jazz. But I also listen to other genres except for modern pop, country, and hip-hop/R&B. These speakers sound great with techno/electronica type music. I listened to some Blaqk Audio and Depeche Mode and it sounded really good. Other genres sound pretty good, but doesn't blow me away. So, if you're considering these AL FX3022, to me, if you can get them for $50-60USD they'd be worth it. I paid $75+$16ship=$91, and leaves me to wonder if the Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II 2.0 Multimedia Speaker System with BasXPort Technolgy would have been a better choice being at the same price point.

LaCie Hard Disk 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive designed by Neil Poulton 301304U
Offered by Eonline
Price: $184.99
2 used & new from $129.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead after 1 year, June 24, 2011
I purchased the LaCie 1 TB external hard drive 301304U in January 2010. It was very sharp looking and easy to set up. However, after only about 16 months it died. Started making some disturbing scratchy sounds, so I shut it off. I tried turning it back on, but the noises persisted. Don't know if mine was a lemon, but regardless, I'm out $102 PLUS the money I'm going to have to spend to get a new back-up drive.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2011 8:42 PM PDT

Dremel 6300-05 120-Volt Multi-Max Oscillating Kit
Dremel 6300-05 120-Volt Multi-Max Oscillating Kit
Offered by Life and Home
Price: $69.99
12 used & new from $47.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tool for in-place jobs, March 16, 2010
During my installation of a new screen door, I found that it wouldn't be able to close without cutting out some of the wood frame all around the door. After chiseling the jamb a little at at time, I found that I would have to cut about 1/2" off the jamb. I did one side in a couple hours and called it a night. That night I thought about the Fein MultiMaster 250 Start Power Sanding and Scraping/Cutting Tool info-mercial and how that tool could be a big help in cutting the jamb in-place since I didn't want to remove it and didn't have a table saw to cut it anyway. So, the next day I went to Home Depot and purchased the Dremel 6300-05 120-Volt Multi-Max Oscillating Kit for $109. I would have bought it from Amazon, but I wanted to finish installing the door right away.

USE: The Dremel is quite easy to use. The attachments are not quite "quick-change" since you have to use an (included) allen wrench to loosen a screw and place the "bit" under the washer and onto 12 pegs (which helps secure the "bit" into place) then tighten the screw to secure it. Cutting was fairly easy; I used the rectangular shaped wood and metal cutting tool, but it was a little difficult getting the "feel" of where it was cutting once it was into the wood a good amount. (Now that I think about it, perhaps I should have used the circular wood cutting tool or at least tried it, duh.) The tool is multi-speed (1-10) and cut through the wood pretty easily (on 8 speed). The sanding "bit" was a little more of a challenge to get on as it required the complete removal of the screw and washer assembly in order to get the sanding pad on. I don't know if my pad is a little defective, but it was a little difficult to get it on the pegs. Once on , however, the tool did an excellent job of sanding the frame down to a nice smooth finish. (Although one corner of the "hook & loop" pad got totally wrecked - its a good thing there's three corners to use.)

OVERVIEW: Overall, I was satisfied with the tool. It cut quite well and sanded great. Putting on the attachments was fairly easy, except for the sanding pad. The product description on this site says that it creates low dust, but it made a good amount of dust. Though that is expected when cutting wood with a high speed tool. And it also said that it was quiet, but the next time I use this tool, I am using earplugs because at that high rpm (close to 20,000) it pretty much screams when cutting and my ears felt like I was at a rock concert afterward. I would also recommend a dust mask and closed eye protection for the dust. For the price (cheaper than the competition), the Dremel did a good job and is, to me, a reputable, trusted brand.

FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier
FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier

5.0 out of 5 stars Little package, big punch, August 4, 2009
Up until a couple of weeks ago, I had never heard of a headphone amp. Well, I guess part of the reason is that I never owned a good pair of phones. I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-595 Premier Headphone (here on Amazon), which are tight (see my review). The Senns have pretty high impedance (50 ohms), and my netbook and ipod don't have enough juice to power it. Therefore, the need for a headphone amp arose.

One of the first HP amps that I came across was the FiiO F5. I had never heard of this brand. I think a reviewer mentioned that its Chinese. Anyhoo, The features that hooked me was its price, size(it's the same size as the iPod shuffle), and simplicity. Seeing a majority of positive reviews, I decided to go for it. I received it in 3 days from Head-Direct (which I would recommend since it was under $25 with shipping, and they use Amazon for payment).

Upon first trial through my iPod, I was a little miffed because there was a high frequency "noise", is the best way I can describe it. But it went away when I played the music, and it never recurred. I played music with, and without the amp, and the difference is quite remarkable. With thew FiiO connected, aside from a big boost in volume, the depth is also enhanced. The bass boost is subtle, but noticable. I would recommend maxing out the volume on the amp and controlling the volume from the source, as the button is quite small and right next to the output plug.

Other than the sound, the things I like about it is its size, internal rechargeable battery, on/off button, clip, and blue/red light, which indicates when it is on/off or charging/charged. It also comes with a 6" and 3' cord, and a USB to mini USB charging cable.

The only things I can think of that I don't like is the fact that it charges through the computer, which means that, 1) you need access to a computer, and 2) the computer has to be on. I also find it a little disturbing that the instruction manual states that the battery can be charged and discharged hundreds of times, BUT the battery will eventually wear out and is irreplaceable. Hopefully, it will last 25 bucks worth of charges! Which brings me to question how long the charge will last. And since I just got it, I have yet to figure that out. Highly recommend it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2010 9:01 PM PDT

Wings - The Complete First and Second Seasons
Wings - The Complete First and Second Seasons
DVD ~ Tim Daly
Offered by Outlet Promotions
Price: $13.75
59 used & new from $2.48

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, July 31, 2009
I love Wings the show, but Wings the DVD is horrible! As other reviewers have stated, the picture quality equals that of a home-made VHS tape. What's a VHS tape?... I'm waiting for it to come out on Blu-Ray, so should you.

P.S. Crystal Bernard is BABELICIOUS!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2013 11:08 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2