Profile for Natasha Abed > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 41

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Natasha Abed "NAbed" RSS Feed (Johannesburg, South Africa)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Sorcerer's Legacy
Sorcerer's Legacy
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Magic, time travel, hordes of people trying to kill you ..., June 24, 2014
This review is from: Sorcerer's Legacy (Kindle Edition)
What can I say? Janny Wurts' inimical style is very evident in Sorcerer's Legacy. Well-written formal prose, highly dramatic and thought-inducing style, lots of action and great plot. Highly enjoyable afternoon read :-)

The Black God's War [A Stand-Alone Novel] (Prelude to the Splendor and Ruin Trilogy)
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good First Pass, June 24, 2014
Great premise, great introduction, and I think the series will improve with some great editing. The writing flow and style can be improved, in my opinion. While no Brandon Sanderson or Mark Lawrence, Moses Siregar III shows lots of potential.

White as Snow
White as Snow
Price: $0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Dressed 'ravenously', November 24, 2012
This review is from: White as Snow (Kindle Edition)
How does one dress 'ravenously'? Poor editing, improperly constructed sentences, and an almost modern edge to a medieval setting somehow conspired to mar any enjoyment that could have been derived from this book.

A Man's Point of View
A Man's Point of View

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the cost, August 13, 2012
The premise seemed interesting, and the product was highly rated, so i committed the dollars (and I do not stay in America, so it costs me more!). I have not been able to finish reading it... which says a lot, since I am generally committed to slogging through most books that I purchase (the eternal pessimist). The book is poorly written, appears to be un-edited, and not very insightful, in my opinion. Rather follow the author's exploits on fb, since it appears that he took most of his fb posts and amalgamated them into the novel. While there were some moments of humour, there are much better books of this genre out there.

Sharps
Sharps

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, August 13, 2012
This review is from: Sharps (Kindle Edition)
Sharps is typical of KJ Parker's style, and it doesn't disappoint. I love the way seemingly everyday activities and concerns mirror and reflect deeper societal issues. Highly recommend it.

The Emperor's Knife: Book One of The Tower and Knife Trilogy
The Emperor's Knife: Book One of The Tower and Knife Trilogy

4.0 out of 5 stars Great start t a new series, November 11, 2011
I'm not going to rehash the plot here, since it was so adequately done by another reviewer. As a long-time fan of fantasy, and enjoying everything from Joe Abercrombie, Steven Erikson, George R R Martin to Terry Pratchett, I have to admit that I quite enjoyed this book. It was well-crafted, although some portions were a bit loose towards the latter parts of the book. This is for those who like their fantasy to reveal itself in layers, with no easy answers provided right off the bat.

The Chosen One
The Chosen One

3.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Researched?, September 12, 2011
This review is from: The Chosen One (Kindle Edition)
Have not bought the book, but just reading the excerpt already higlights a glaring error. The impression is given that a Catholic is more acceptable to an Arab than a Jew, and yet the opposite is true. Aside from the belief in Jesus and Muhammad as Messengers of God, the Jewish and Muslim religions employ similar belief structures, dietary restrictions, and practices. This glaring error casts a gloomy pall and leads me to question the quality of research employed in the rest of the book. Has anyone read it - can you comment on ths?
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 25, 2013 6:52 PM PST

Every Girl Does It
Every Girl Does It

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written, June 13, 2011
Amanda who is in her late twenties behaves like a child throughout this book, vaccillating between a 5 year old and a 15 year old, which was seriously, seriously irritating. I couldn't understand the reason that Preston was attracted to her, and her screaming histrionics had me flipping throigh the pages. No character develoopment at all, the plot was contrived, and the childish antics and shallow behaviour of Amanda just put me off.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2011 9:52 AM PDT

Icefalcon's Quest (Darwath, No. 5)
Icefalcon's Quest (Darwath, No. 5)
by Barbara Hambly
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
101 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Immensely readable!, May 31, 2002
I bought this book because I liked the blurb on the back, and thought that it would make for interesting reading...needless to say, it's a move I absolutely do not regret. I haven't read any other book in the Darwath series, so perhaps that's the reason for my enthusiasm and fascination, but I've read Icefalcon's quest many times, and it's been enjoyable with every read.
The description of Icefalcon's emotions and understanding appear at first glance to be quite droll, but in understanding the tribal feuds and lifestyle, the reader starts to understand that the portrayal of Icefalcon is true to nature. It's not to say that he doesn't experience emotion or pain or fear, but rather that within his tribal upbringing, it is death to lay claim to such feelings. Only the strongest survive, and fear and cowardice have no place in the tribal structure.
The tribulations that Tir had to undergo, and his character's development as a result were very real and moving for me....The dark magic and evil was a potent stimulus in the book - and I was unwittingly caught up in the brutal descriptions of war and evil.
On the whole, I would definitely recommend Icefalcon's Quest... whether you buy it or borrow it, read this book and decide for yourself!

The Barbed Coil
The Barbed Coil
by J. V. Jones
211 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars On my Keeper Shelf, and Dog-Eared from use!, February 8, 2002
This review is from: The Barbed Coil (Hardcover)
I've read 'The Barbed Coil' at least thrice - and I've even been magnanimous enough to loan it to all and sundry (well, those interested in fantasy, in any case!!!). In summary, it's brilliant! JV Jones's writing style is evocative, clear and detailed. Very quickly you find yourself immersed in the lives and events of the characters, and of the world that they're living in.
I have to say that Tess adjusted supremely well to her displacement from Earth, though, but while her lack of angst and relocation anxiety might be a problem for some, it didn't actually bother me all that much.
Also, the fight scenes in the book have made me look at battle-scenes from a very different perspective... JV Jones has done her research very well, and the employment of strategy, battle tactics, and sheer descriptive clarity can make one almost smell the carnage.
The Illumination - well, I've learned more about parchment-making and pigment-mixing than might be employed in my day-to-day existence, but hey, if I ever need a change of career, I think I'd be able to do scripts quite well (provided that actually DRAWING anything is not a basic requirement!). Actually, even though I was so involved in all aspects of the book, the description of the requirements for the illuminations and the magic surrounding the use thereof gripped me the most.
I could not put 'The Barbed Coil' down, and spent an entire day reading it the first time, so I would heartily recommend it. Don't approach it with preconceived notions of fantasy and what defines it - read it with an open mind and an open heart, and you will seriously gain great pleasure from it!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5