Profile for MG59 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MG59 RSS Feed

Die for Me
Die for Me
by Amy Plum
Price: $13.81
70 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Amateur writing at best, December 14, 2011
This review is from: Die for Me (Hardcover)
I picked up this book because I "knew" the author through her personal blog and wanted to support a fellow writer. I'm not part of the demographic targeted for this book (adolescent/young females), but always open to checking out different writing styles so I ordered Mrs. Plum's book. I've also lived in Paris, so I can appreciate a book set there.

Besides the lovely cover, I had a hard time liking this book. As mentioned a thousand times before, it is a direct Twilight rip off, and left me with the feeling of "been there, done that." But many books/movies copy others that came before, so I can't say I was surprised or that this was what completely put me off the book.

What annoyed me the most about this book was the writing style. As another commenter mentioned, I couldn't imagine what Kate would look like based on the very brief, vague description of her. As I was reading, I tended to sub in Kristen Stewart's face (Bella Swan in the Twilight movies) for Kate's because I imagined her to be a carbon copy of this actress.

The writing tended to be super clichéd and amateur. I got the impression that Mrs. Plum was writing what she thought people would want to read (cheesy teen romance movie dialogue, "cool" expressions that young people might use, silly similes like when Lucien calls the girls "Disney princesses"...) It was almost too silly and juvenile to handle and while Kate said silly, juvenile things with Vincent around, she is described to be a wise beyond her years, art-loving introverted girl. Not exactly coherent. What she says and how she acts is always changing and I couldn't seem to get a good grasp on her character. One minute she's brooding and depressed and moody, and the next she goes on and on about how "warm and tingly and gooey" Vincent's touch makes her. It was Mrs. Plum's attempts at creating a "complicated" young female lead who embodies all the young, modern clichés we might assume (and believe me, they are ALL in this book at some point) that just made me annoyed and unimpressed with this book. There were no creative or particularly interesting uses of the English language and the vocabulary is quite basic and limited.

So in my personal opinion, this is a light, fluffy book that would appeal to young, Twilight loving fans who can look past vague, boring descriptions of places, silly and unnatural dialogue, and unoriginal content. I will not be reading the second book because I could barely make it through the first.