Profile for Harry M. Shin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 481

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Harry M. Shin RSS Feed (Livermore, CA USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fitbit Zip Wireless Activity Tracker, Blue
Fitbit Zip Wireless Activity Tracker, Blue
Price: $56.02
19 used & new from $48.63

1.0 out of 5 stars Just don't work for me; Go from the Omron instead, October 31, 2014
This is not a well informed review, but an initial impression. First of all, I don't like how you have to really press on the face to go between the several pieces of data (really poor design). Most importantly, the calorie counter appears to overestimate the data; the only reason I know this is that I can accurately monitor calorie burn when I use my Polar HR monitor (also does calories) and the discrepancy between the Polar the Fit Bit is astounding. The steps seems to be fairly accurate. But at the end of the day, if you don't have confidence in the data, why in the world use it?

I knew I was going against my better judgement by going with the hype of FitBit, but that's what it is; hype.

If you just want a reliable and accurate method to count steps, I can definitely recommend the Omron Triaxis Pedometer; an excellent product.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2014 2:21 PM PST

Transcend Information USB 3.0 Card Reader (TS-RDF5K)
Transcend Information USB 3.0 Card Reader (TS-RDF5K)
Price: $6.29
76 used & new from $2.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well; very compact SD card reader, October 6, 2014
Nothing earth shattering, but a nice compact USB SD Card reader; works wetl and all for a good price.

KIND Minis Variety Count, 0.8 Ounce, 12 Count
KIND Minis Variety Count, 0.8 Ounce, 12 Count
Price: $9.99
25 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty but really small..., October 6, 2014
Excellent product and this is not a ding against the product because it's just the law of math, but since these bars have to meet a certain "low calorie" benchmark, FYI: these bars are definitely small. If you're hungry, you can literally eat one of these bars in 2-3 bites. Delicious but then goodbye.

SwissGear Travel Gear ScanSmart Backpack 1900 (Black)
SwissGear Travel Gear ScanSmart Backpack 1900 (Black)
Offered by Juvolicious
Price: $83.97
7 used & new from $47.25

1.0 out of 5 stars The main reason I don't like this bag is because it simply doesn't stand up ..., October 6, 2014
As with many cpu bags, this has many pouches etc... and it's well made etc... The main reason I don't like this bag is because it simply doesn't stand up and since I use this as my cpu bag, there's nothing as irritating when I put my bag down and then proceed to get stuff out of the bag, but only to have it flop down. As such, I just returned this item and simply purchased another one (I believe made by the same company) which is made to stand up on it's own.

Bladder Insulators for Camelbak Antidote SHORT Reservoir Water Bladder MIL SPEC
Bladder Insulators for Camelbak Antidote SHORT Reservoir Water Bladder MIL SPEC
Offered by Hydration Tube Covers
Price: $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and simple and well built, October 6, 2014
This is a simple product, but that's a good thing. The product fits perfectly my Camelbak; not too snug, not too loose; just right. The tube cover also went on without a hitch. Now in terms of the pragmatics, I really didn't find that the tube cover really does anything in regards to keeping the liquid cool and if you really think about it, some neoprene isn't going to keep cool a little bit of liquid within that tube. I'm not even sure what benefit there is in re: insulation value there is for the main bladder (in terms of having that piece of neoprene), but the main benefit for me is that the neoprene protects and really effectively deals with the condensation that results when the camel bak is filled with ice etc... This is a really huge deal for me in that I have a lot of photographic equipment close by in the bag. Anyway, depending on your goals / uses, this might be a great product. By the way, well built.

Datacolor Spyder4Pro S4P100 Colorimeter for Display Calibration
Datacolor Spyder4Pro S4P100 Colorimeter for Display Calibration
Price: $169.00
19 used & new from $128.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, an almost no brainer and it works, October 6, 2014
I'm not a color expert, but I have used the write (Monaco) and then more recently the Color Munki devices and actually I think I used the very first Spyder many years ago and... this Spyder 4 is definitely the best device out there in regards to ease of use and having a profile that actually looks... normal.
First of all, like the majority of folks, I don't really care about the technical data, in fact I would rather avoid that as much as possible and just create a monitor profile that looks accurate / normal etc... This device / software does that. I won't go into the specifics but it's pretty much a no brainer--> load software, plug in the device (USB) and follow directions. Even if you don't know the ... whatever they ask you, you can answer the "unknown" answer and it'll figure things out for you. Now, compare this pain free process with the Color Munki; that's also fairly pain free but the software isn't as simple and most importantly, the color profile that I got from the Color Munki was overtly abnormal. I know that your eyes take a while to get used to the new color standard, but despite various settings, the Color Munki just gave some overly warm profiles, whereas the Spyder Pro 4 gives a nice neutral (I might want something a tad cooler) profile. All in all, highly recommended.

Noah
Noah
DVD

1.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't matter if you're a Christian, Jewish, Atheist... This is just a lame movie, September 22, 2014
This review is from: Noah (Amazon Instant Video)
One might assume that those who hate this movie have some axe to grind from a theological point (which might account for a certain percentage), but being as open minded as possible and being in the frame of mind of just wanting to be... entertained, no matter how you approach this film, it just plain stinks. I can't believe how terrible of a movie this is; it really makes you wonder what in the world was Russel Crowe thinking when he agreed to do this amazing dud of a film.

X-Rite CMUNDIS ColorMunki Display
X-Rite CMUNDIS ColorMunki Display
Price: $169.00
22 used & new from $128.71

1.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps my one star is due to user error... but I doubt it., July 22, 2014
I've used monitor calibrators before; I own the monaco optix XR... I think that's what it's called; an Xrite product that's so old that they don't support it via software etc... and thus I decided to check out the much talked about Color Munki. Here are my brief thoughts:

a: I completely acknowledge that my neutral to negative impressions on this product is mainly due to my lack of knowledge re: color management as well as possible user error... with that being said, as noted above, this isn't my first color calibrator either.

b: Speed: yea, it's slow. I read users report in re: speed, but this is slow. Not that big a deal, if you're an amateur, but if you're going to use this for actual photo work, this may be an issue.

c: Color accuracy: of course this is fraught with error, subjectivity etc... But I have to say the color profiles from this device is... terrible. I know that out of the box profiles via the cpu are on the cool side, but with dim and overly warm profiles built by the Color Munki is just wrong. At some point, you have to trust yourself. I tried the easy mode (terrible) and the advanced mode using different parameters (which did help), but at the end of the day, the profiles were too warm (and dim) and since this does affect my photographic... work and feeling, I just decided to send the thing back. Now of course, there are those who are rightly going to bring up the point that just because I didn't like the profile, doesn't mean it's not accurate. My only rebuttal to this valid point is that the out of the box profile in my Macbook Pro is "good enough" in that prints via my inkjet at home and prints via BayPhoto always come out spot on in terms of both color as well as brightness / exposure. And thus I'm thinking almost a heretical thought among photographers, "what's the point of buying a product that's going to put me back 160.00, when I can get perfect looking prints with the canned profile via my cpu?" Answer? Just do what works and works (at least for me), is to use a monitor profile via Apple, which is very pleasing to the eye and which is apparently accurate in that I've always gotten excellent and accurate looking prints; both at home and via a pro lab.

d: I've tried the Spyder product years ago and thought that was pretty lame and thus settled on the Monaco Optix; I'm going to have to assume that the version 4 is much improved; perhaps in the future if I need to calibrate a non-Apple product, I'll check that out.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2014 12:09 AM PDT

Kevyn Lettau & Friends in Concert
Kevyn Lettau & Friends in Concert
DVD ~ Kevyn Lettau
Offered by CD Baby
Price: $13.21
8 used & new from $10.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice basic video concert of Kevyn, July 14, 2014
I know Kevyn isn't a household name among jazz singers, but she's certainly a very good one that fills the void among the various singers out there. It's difficult to categorize, but if I had to describe her style, it would be somewhat like Al Jarreau. This DVD concert is pretty much a straight ahead production; nothing fancy, just documenting an intimate concert, with basic filming and good sound and most importantly, some nice renditions of her tunes. A solid choice for any fan.

4396841 Whirlpool / Kitchenaid PUR Ice & Refrigerator Water Filter - 2 Pack
4396841 Whirlpool / Kitchenaid PUR Ice & Refrigerator Water Filter - 2 Pack
Offered by DiscountFilterStore
Price: $68.35
8 used & new from $60.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes it works, July 14, 2014
There's not much to say about fridge water filters other than, simply get the correct one and it'll work.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20