Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale
Profile for Harry M. Shin > Reviews

Browse

Harry M. Shin's Profile

Customer Reviews: 510

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Harry M. Shin RSS Feed (Livermore, CA USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
MindShift Gear Filter Nest Mini Round Filter Case
MindShift Gear Filter Nest Mini Round Filter Case
Offered by Outdoor Photo Gear
Price: $24.99
4 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Mindshift gear product, December 11, 2015
Another simple but well made and well thought out device via MindShift Gear. I'm not a huge filter guy but I have the usual polarizer and several ND filters; this is a no brainier piece of gear because you'll be free of those plastic filter cases which is a pain in the butt when in the field. Just be aware of the size limitation of this case as well as the fact it can house a max of 5 filters (I think; double check this).

Plays Live
Plays Live
Offered by megahitrecords
Price: $14.10
12 used & new from $14.10

2.0 out of 5 stars A dud and a dissapointment, December 11, 2015
This review is from: Plays Live (Audio CD)
1. It's goes without saying that passing judgement on music is a very subjective thing. However, if anyone is going to be somewhat qualified it's me in that I'm a definite fan and thus I'm biased towards Eliane Elias (I do think I have every single album she has put out).
2. With the above being said, this is a semi-dud of an album. The sound quality is excellent, technically the music as always is top notch, but where's the musicality? In the end, it always does and should come down to the music, the emotional impact, the inspiration and this concert is kind of... robotic. Furthermore, the boring song selection doesn't help either. This is a definite pass for most people; the only folks who should consider getting this are the hardcore fans... just perhaps for collection purposes...

Alive at the Vanguard
Alive at the Vanguard
Price: $16.80
41 used & new from $12.17

2.0 out of 5 stars Completely overrated., December 8, 2015
This review is from: Alive at the Vanguard (Audio CD)
1. Some background info: I love jazz, especially piano and have seen Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett, Makoto Ozone, Eliane Elias etc... etc... Furthermore, I know that making / passing judgments on music is a very tricky and often personal thing.
2. With the above being said, this is just a completely... boring and tedious album. In general, Fred Hersch is such a piano player. He's technically adept, but where's the musicality? Ultimately, music is about emotion and not technicality; for those who have seen him in concert, it's like watching... paint dry? You're going to get way more emotion out of watching some classical pianist play Rachmaninoff or something. Of all of his material, I like one song from Dancing in the Dark (For All We Know); a super rendition of that song. Otherwise, his music / style of playing is... robotic. I know that I'm in the minority here, but just my opinion and thus I was dissapointed with this album.

Danby DAR017A2BDD Compact All Refrigerator, 1.7 Cubic Feet, Black
Danby DAR017A2BDD Compact All Refrigerator, 1.7 Cubic Feet, Black
Price: Click here to see our price
41 used & new from $75.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Two thumbs up and no freezer, December 4, 2015
I've been using a similar sized fridge at work, but one with those completely useless freezers. Eventually, once the ice growth got the point where I couldn't close it, I just got rid of the old one and purchased this fridge; excellent choice. First of all, because there is no freezer, it means that I have more room to put stuff. The drink rack on the side is also an excellent use of space. The temp can be controlled via back dial; I have no idea what setting I have it set at, but it's definitely cold enough. Excellent product.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent alternative to Really Right Stuff, December 4, 2015
This is more of a generic review for all Sunwayfoto products; although not as elegant as Really Right Stuff (I've plenty of stuff from RSS), these guys definitely make a quality product that is more function over form (ex: quality of the knobs etc...). So for those who don't have a ton of money to spend on photographic gear, Sunway is a no brainer; for those who have a ton of money to spend, you still might want to consider Sunway (and similar companies) because if you're going to end up with a product just as good (in most cases) as RRS for a considerably cheaper price, then why not?

RAVPower FileHub Plus, Versatile Wireless Travel Router, SD Card USB Reader Portable Hard Drive Companion, DLNA NAS Sharing Media Streamer 6000mAh External Battery Pack
Offered by Unifun
Price: $99.99
7 used & new from $20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Thumbs Up, December 4, 2015
This is my third similar device; I have owned two prior "HooToo" products (which work well). I'm sure there are many ways to utilize this product (I'm not super technical), but here are my uses of this product and why it's superior to the HooToo products (Question: does the same company make these things? The app seems similar / identical....).

a: Video Streaming: This works well (ie streaming videos onto my iphone via it's own internally created wifi network; I'm not sure if this is the correct lingo, but it's easy to do... even if you're out in the middle of no where). I initially had some issues with file formats, but got it squared away; bottomline: just make sure that you have the correct format for your viewing device.
b: Storage: I really like this unit compared to the HooToo because it takes a SD card; the HooToo units can utilize a USB stick, which sticks out.
c. OTG - Back Up Capabilities: This is hardly talked about but since this has a SD slot and a USB slot as well, you can put it your camera's SD card and back it up directly to any USB storage device (ie USB stick or even a USB external harddrive). Thus, if you're a photographer, that needs to travel superlight for an extended period of time, you can take this device along with a compact external harddrive and back up all your data to the drive. The methodology isn't super elegant, but it also isn't complex (I like super simple, and I was able to figure it out). The speed of backup is... slowish; I'm guessing USB 2.0 standards. But it's no big deal if you're not in a rush. The bottomline is that it actually does work and is dependable.
d. Battery life: compared to the HooToo, this thing really keeps its charge well; excellent. By the way, you can also use this to power up your electronic devices (ie phone)
e. The app: this is where these devices (usually out of China) may be hit or miss. This app looks almost identical to the HooToo app but they are different because I can't use the HooToo app to run this device. Eitherway, assuming that your phone OS is up to date and the RAV Power app works well with the phone OS version, things should work well. When there was an issue, I emailed these guys and they did promptly reply.

Bottomline: an excellent product that many people will find a no brainer purchase.

Tonor® Silent 2.4GHZ USB Receiver Wireless Mouse For Laptop Mac Computer Black
Tonor® Silent 2.4GHZ USB Receiver Wireless Mouse For Laptop Mac Computer Black
Offered by TONOR
Price: $20.99
4 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Two thumbs up, December 4, 2015
I've been using the Logitech compact mouse (I don't know what it's called); an excellent product and company but since it doesn't seem to last more than a year, I decided to check out another company. Furthermore, I never heard of a "silent" mouse, but this really fit the bill because my incessant clicking can be annoying to family at times. Overall, the construction is more... "plasticky" compared to the Logitech (I know that these are also made out of plastic), more lightweight, the flywheel is ok, but not as good as the Logitech (but they have the best flywheel as far as I'm concerned), but... this mouse really does fit the bill. It's fairly cheap (ie good deal), it's comfortable, the range is fine, the "silent" click is fairly quiet, I like the "action" of the clicks and the battery life seems very good. Excellent product.

Neewer® Fish Bone Style Mini Quick Release Screw-knob Mount Clamp Adapter Compatible with Arca-Swiss for Tripod Head, Black Color
Price: $12.50
7 used & new from $11.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and a good value, December 4, 2015
There's not much to say other than I've owned a ton of foto gear, quick release plates and this is an excellent product. These days, there is no reason to pay high prices from Really Right Stuff; these other companies out cranking out top quality products at a much more affordable price.

Neewer® Black Metal Quick Release L-Plate Bracket Hand Grip Camera Grip for Olympus OM-D E-M10 Fits Arca-Swiss Standard
Price: $25.80
3 used & new from $25.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product (RRS: you better watch out for the competition), December 4, 2015
1. Background info: I'm familiar with the "gold standard" L-plate in that I've owned several from Really Right Stuff; I currently have the RRS L-Plate for my EM-1.
2. However, I picked up a EM10 as a backup camera and didn't want to spend the $125.00 (current price via their website) for the RRS L-plate. I've had very good experiences with the various Chinese companies making photo accessories (ex: check out Sunwayfoto) and thus thought I'd give this one a try; Bottomline: excellent. this product is well made, it fits perfectly and it's cheap. From an ethical point of view, the only negative that I can come up with is--> it appeared that they copied RRS L-Brackets because it is basically a carbon clone. This is an important point to ponder but for those who are concerned with the less theoretical issues of life--> this L-Bracket is a no brainer; cheap and it's just as good as RRS.

The Skill of Happiness
The Skill of Happiness
Offered by Audible, Inc. (US)
10 used & new from $5.95

1.0 out of 5 stars A total dud; all fluff, no substance, December 1, 2015
1. Note: I purchased the audible version of this and it is abridged.
2. Bottomline this is a complete dud for the following reasons:
a: There is no substance. Actually, there is substance, but the author is so vague and fails to emphasize possible important topics, that the book just reads as some... pithy compilation of positive / encouraging / uplifting concepts that one might read... in some bathroom type book.
b: This is a short book; again, it's abridged, but I'm guessing around 1 hr long?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2015 7:11 AM PST