Profile for E. Dearmon > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

E. Dearmon RSS Feed (Colorado Springs, CO USA)

Toshiba DVR620 DVD/VHS Recorder (Black)
Toshiba DVR620 DVD/VHS Recorder (Black)
Offered by Beauty Fulfiller
Price: $149.80
127 used & new from $97.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba DVR620KU - Best For Converting VHS Tapes to DVD, March 22, 2010
I bought this unit STRICTLY FOR CONVERTING my huge tape collection to DVD. I previously purchased a Sony but it stopped working, after converting only about 40 tapes. So I purchased this Toshiba unit to replace it. This Toshiba has worked GREAT, and so far I have converted over 200 VHS tapes to DVD, with absolutely no problems. 2-Hr VHS tapes in SP mode will fit perfectly on a DVD+R blank disc by recording in DVD SP mode.

One word of warning: the Mode Select button is directly below the VCR selection key, which is used a lot. If you press the Mode Select button accidentally, you may change the DVD recording speed easily without noticing. I must have done this, and discovered after converting 5 tapes that they were Converted in EP mode (less quality) rather than SP that I wanted, but now I am more careful and occasionally purposely press that button to insure that I am still set for SP mode DVD recording. If less quality but more space is wanted, you could use the EP mode to record 2 - 2Hr tapes onto one DVD, but the DVD picture & sound quality will be at lesser quality than the original VHS tape(s).

Overall, if converting VHS to DVD is all you are looking for, this unit will deliver quality DVD copies, and is a more reliable unit than the Sony products. Actually, once you set the unit up with your preferences, you only have to press the DUBBING button to record each 2-hr VHS tape to a blank DVD. Remember to FINALIZE your DVD after recording, so that it will play on other units. You should also use DVD+R, not DVD-R, since Toshiba recommends and supports only the "+" format discs. Toshiba has excellent tech support, and they actually speak good English.

The space reduction of DVD vs. VHS is fantastic, and by converting old tapes to DVD, you are preserving them for the future, as VHS tapes have a tendency to eventually decay beyond usable condition.

I will never buy another Sony product.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2013 4:45 PM PDT

Terk VR1 Automatic TV Volume Controller
Terk VR1 Automatic TV Volume Controller
Price: $18.99
78 used & new from $5.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked Like A Charm, April 4, 2008
The product arrived very quickly, I opened the box, and 10 minutes later, was enjoying no more loud commercials! I liked it so well, I ordered one for a relative who also had complained about loud commercials. She is pleased with hers too. I recommend it for the value, and for anyone who is annoyed by loud commercials.

Book of Longing
Book of Longing
Price: $17.98

4.0 out of 5 stars A Captivating and Astounding Work, February 10, 2008
This review is from: Book of Longing (MP3 Music)
I was expecting a lot of "glassagies", which are a re-use of the beautiful, yet sometimes too often repeated Glass passages (as in Dracula), but instead, I found unique, beautiful passages that while they could be recognized as a Philip Glass work, are new and pleasant. This work is captivating, and encapsulates the Glass Fan within a flowing, poetic work, which was captured with excellent recording clarity.