Profile for Merryl Gross > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 48

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Merryl Gross RSS Feed (Boston, MA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Dead and Buried (A Benjamin January Mystery Book 9)
Dead and Buried (A Benjamin January Mystery Book 9)
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Always fun, February 19, 2014
Benjamin January in another adventure, This time you get to learn more about Hannibal's youth, with maybe an inkling of why he is where he is. Not as heart-rendingly amazing as Sold Down the River, but a solid murder mystery with characters you care about.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not match photo, May 15, 2013
The garment I received didn't have gathers sewn like the sample photo. There is a very thick and uncomfortable gather down the center, then a number of random, ugly tucks here and there. The inside front is self-lined down to about the waist, which means that the whole dress hangs funny. I don't know if this is defective or what, but it's going back.
Comment Comment | Permalink

TripIt Travel Organizer (Ad-Free)
TripIt Travel Organizer (Ad-Free)
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful tho sometimes a little oversharing, December 5, 2011
I've been using the ad-supported version for a while. I like that it grabs trip info directly from my emails so I don't have to enter it manually all the time. I'm less happy that it automatically shares my trip with my circle. But since I get to approve everyone there, and I'm very selective with that, it's not a Showstopper.

I'm glad to get rid of the ads!

Plants vs. Zombies (WiFi Download Only)
Plants vs. Zombies (WiFi Download Only)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very addictive, June 2, 2011
Runs well on my G2X. It is a strategy game where you pick the plants and use them to defend your home from various types of zombies. Cute and fun, a good combination of strategy and action for folks like me who are too old to play first person shooters!

Solio Mono Emergency Hybrid Solar Charger
Solio Mono Emergency Hybrid Solar Charger
Offered by Payless 'N Save
Price: $16.49
9 used & new from $9.83

3.0 out of 5 stars Best if you live near the equator, August 2, 2010
I received my Solio Mono as a promotion from my local public radio station. My box came with: a hemp bag, instructions, carabiner, AC cable plus 4 changeable prongs, USB cable (for charging the Solio), charging cable that connects to the charge tips, and 4 tips: female USB, mini-USB, micro-USB, and a Sanyo 6 tip. There are additional tips available from Solio's website if none of these will work for you.

The micro-USB tip attaches directly to my phone, and I use the USB female tip to charge my iPod Touch via its USB cable. You can use it to charge anything that has a USB charging cable, so that's really handy. My AC adapter came with interchangeable prongs for the USA, Australia/NZ, UK/Europe, and those round prongs possibly used in Asia, which is really neat. I have a trip to NZ planned, and I'll take the Solio instead of my devices' respective charging paraphernalia. While this means I can charge only one device at a time, I can charge one device overnight while the device is plugged in (and charging itself too), then charge the other device during the day while it and the Solio are stowed in my backpack!

Note: you can't charge a laptop or any heavy power usage items with the Solio. It's designed for "personal electronics" like cellphones and MP3 players. It will work with digital cameras that can charge via USB, they say on their website.

The thing that loses Solio points is solar charging. I've owned it for 4 days and it charges very slowly using just the sun. I've had it outdoors on my sunny porch for a couple of days and it's only gotten one "tick" of charge. Now, I live in the Northeast US, and that spot gets direct sunlight only in the afternoon. Both days have been partially cloudy, but this seems sad. At this point I'm ready to ask for some sort of protective cover for the solar cell and just use it as a charger/spare battery! Solio claims it takes 20 hours to get a full charge, but unless you're under ideal conditions it's going to take much longer. So can't recommend that anyone count on it for seriously charging a device using only the sun. If that's your need, you should go for Solio Universal Hybrid Solar Charger, which is heavier but has 3 collectors instead of just 1.

So I like it as a travel charger and emergency battery. I don't think you can expect to reduce your energy use and count on getting any significant charging from the sun, unless you live in a sunnier clime and can keep it in stronger sunlight more of the day. You might get enough charge for an emergency call, or to keep a device topped off, so it's better than not having a solar collector, I guess. But if you have multiple devices that you travel with, and you'd like to have some spare charge and not carry all those different charge plugs, then this might be useful for you.

Solio Mono-A Hybrid Solar Charger
Solio Mono-A Hybrid Solar Charger
Offered by Green Planet Collections
Price: $14.99
11 used & new from $10.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, more useful if you live near the equator, August 2, 2010
This review is from: Solio Mono by Solio (Sports)
I received my Solio Mono as a promotion from my local public radio station. My box came with everything listed here, but is bright red instead of black. (My carabiner is dark metallic blue, if you care.) The device is lightweight but I'm worried that the solar collector would get scratched up if I were to attach it to the outside of a backpack or something.

Plant Nanny 8200 Vacation Pack (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Plant Nanny 8200 Vacation Pack (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and effective, October 10, 2009
I ordered the Plant Nanny Vacation Pack in July. As folks recommended, I soaked the terra cotta spikes in water before putting them into my planters. They're quite effective and kept my plants alive when I was on a 1-week vacation. Actually, I'm so happy with them that I left them in and use them now as the primary way to water my plants. One of my planters loses moisture really easily, and that one I put two spikes into plus I water it on warm sunny afternoons.

I use 1-liter soda bottles in mine. I put dilute plant food into the bottles, so my plants get food with their water all the time.

One of the 6 spikes arrived broken. The shipper had no problem with sending me a replacement. The replacement was a different style; the 6 in the pack had longer, conical inserts with a single hole. The new one is slightly wider, with two straight prongs and a lot more space for water to move. I haven't used the replacement yet since I really only needed 5 spikes for the patio planters, but I am planning to use it on a indoor plant in a week or so.

If you think you'll need 3 or more spikes, I encourage you to buy this multi-pack. At the time I bought it, it was a better per-spike price and you have some leeway if any arrive damaged.

Feline Greenies 3oz Bag Ocean Fish
Feline Greenies 3oz Bag Ocean Fish
Offered by EntirelyPets
Price: $4.99
4 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars She likes it!, October 10, 2009
My cat really likes these though I can't tell why. She likes the chicken, fish, and tuna flavors a lot, and the beef pretty well. She wasn't that fond of the liver flavor and I think they're not making it anymore.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, comfortable, inexpensive, July 16, 2008
I've worn my Trello Slides for about the last 6 months. I purchased my first pair to wear by the pool on a cruise, but now I wear them nearly all the time! They are lightweight and comfortable. Although my orthopedist refuses to look closely enough to see it, they even have some arch support! You don't need to tense up your foot to keep these in place; mine tend to stick just slightly to the skin so they stay in place. I have worn them with socks (rarely) and they stay on just fine then also.

Unlike the Trello Clogs, the slides have an inset "insole" of some slightly different foam. I think this foam does a better job when your feet get wet, which happens often to me because my feet tend to sweat.

I'm very hard to fit, and often need to go for a size 12 (women's). Both the size 11 and size 12 Trello Slides fit me, but the 12's tend to slide a bit more when wet.

Okay, you can't get around the "Croc look" of them. But I think they work for any casual warm-weather look, and come in lots of fun colors.

Kensington 62348 Contour Roller Carrying Case
Kensington 62348 Contour Roller Carrying Case
Price: Click here to see our price
75 used & new from $59.00

4.0 out of 5 stars If life hands you a huge laptop, this is a great bag to carry it with., July 6, 2008
I was looking for a bag to carry my new work laptop, a 17" Dell Precision M6300, to and from work via mass transit and also as a carry-on when travelling for business. I am a 5'4" woman, and have trouble carrying heavy loads. My first choices was for a backpack, but I could not find one small enough to fit my back but large enough to hold the machine.

I looked at many rolling bags before choosing this one, and I am very happy with it. It holds the laptop securely in the sleeve, tight but not too tight. It was pretty easy to slip it back into the sleeve after going thru airport security, though I did have to take pains not to pack the bag too tightly. It is extremely well balanced, and rolls easily even fully packed on thick carpet. I have not used the shoulder strap yet, but when testing it I found it to be amazingly comfortable for such a heavy load.

Things I really like:
- The way it rolls
- The "ticket pocket" which easily holds an umbrella and my folding fan (important when you're taking mass transit)
- The T handle, surprisingly. At my height, I can choose to grab the bar below the handle and still have a secure grip.
- The add-a-bag strap on the back, which means it balanced securely on my larger bag when travelling.
- Shaping of the bottle pocket, which worked even when the bag was fully loaded.
- The front organizer
- The top carry handle. Comfortable whenever you need to lift the bag, like when getting on the bus.
- The price!

Things I don't like:
- Width of the bag. I'd prefer a "vertical" orientation if that was possible.
- Tight zippers in the pockets in the back. Makes those neat mesh bags harder to use.
- The way the grippy texture on the T-handle sometimes catches on my pants pockets.
- The middle "document" section when I was using it as a carry-on. I would have prefered more of a 70%-30% split of the space rather than 50%-50%. I don't carry a lot of papers or things that need to be kept flat, though.

If this is the type of bag you need, I definitely recommend it. It's even a little lighter than most of the other bags I was looking at.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5