Profile for Joy E. Thacher > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joy E. Thacher "Passionate Reader" RSS Feed (Atlanta, GA USA)

Damon Runyon
Damon Runyon
by Jimmy Breslin
48 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars FASCINATING READ, March 15, 2013
This review is from: Damon Runyon (Paperback)
Damon Runyon was an excellent journalist and later in life short story writer. Jimmy Breslin, also,was a most colorful writer and he depicted Runyon;s life without any frills. I finished this book with mixed feelings as I am addicted to Runyon's short stories but do not admire the person. Runyon was only happy when rubbing elbows with the underworld. With this lifestyle he was armed to write his fascinating stories of Guys and Dolls====Bookies , gamblers, swindlers and murderers, no good bums and showgirls. I now understand where all his stories evolved. Not only that, but his style of present first person is so unique. I will continue to read and re-read some of his short stories

San Francisco Bay OneCup, Fog Chaser, 36 Single Serve Coffees
San Francisco Bay OneCup, Fog Chaser, 36 Single Serve Coffees
Price: $21.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Fog Chaser for Sure!, March 23, 2012
The name of this coffee sure caught my eye. It is indeed a Fog Chaser. Once or twice a week I get interested in a couple of cups of this delightful French Roast. Amazon.com sent me an e-mail and I thought it would be fun to give it a try. It's strong and delightful!!!! As a senior, I find it's exciting to try new things. And, some turn out to be winners.

San Francisco Bay OneCup, Decaf French Roast, 36 Single Serve Coffees
San Francisco Bay OneCup, Decaf French Roast, 36 Single Serve Coffees
Price: $23.57
10 used & new from $20.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Change of Pace, March 23, 2012
This is a nice strong French Roast. For me, it's excellent with a bit of creamer, cinnamon and a tad of sugar! Had not been familiar with San Francisco Bay coffee--decided to try it and was very pleased

Charleston Gardens and the Landscape Legacy of Loutrel Briggs
Charleston Gardens and the Landscape Legacy of Loutrel Briggs
by James R. Cothran
Price: $35.77
27 used & new from $31.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Loutrel Winslow Briggs, October 15, 2010
I met Loutrel Briggs when I was a little Girl. My father, Frank Winslow Elliott was Loutrel's cousin. My husband and I have visited many of his gardens in Charleston and I own a copy of Loutrel's book "Charleston Gardens". I will welcome James Cothran's new book and savor his appreciation of the outstanding landscapes designed by artist, Briggs. Hopefully, his designs will be preserved for future generations. What a Treasure!!!!
Joy Elliott Thacher
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2011 5:26 AM PDT

Mrs. Whaley and Her Charleston Garden
Mrs. Whaley and Her Charleston Garden
by Emily Whaley
112 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Jewel, July 10, 2010
I have a special interest in Mrs Whaley's Charleston Garden. Loutrel Winslow Briggs, the landscape architect involved in the design was my father's cousin. He did many gardens in Charleston and elsewhere. This little book is a treasure of southern charm including a few recipes. I keep several copies on my shelf just to share with friends.

CUCINA Regenerating Hand Cream Refill - 8.4 fl. oz. - Coriander and Olive
CUCINA Regenerating Hand Cream Refill - 8.4 fl. oz. - Coriander and Olive

5.0 out of 5 stars Cucina Hand Cream, July 10, 2010
It's the best!!!!! The Olive Oil is the magic ingredient. All scents are light and refreshing. I keep a supply in bathrooms, kitchen and at work!!!! I've shared Cucina with many friends.

The Daily Coyote: A Story of Love, Survival, and Trust in the Wilds of Wyoming
The Daily Coyote: A Story of Love, Survival, and Trust in the Wilds of Wyoming
by Shreve Stockton
16 used & new from $1.55

5.0 out of 5 stars A Jewel, March 9, 2010
What a strange title for a book-----After reading this jewel I signed up for my "Daily Coyote" The story is a young woman's search for her own identity filled with love and caring for all of nature. Her bonding with Charlie and the rest of her "family is a reader's treasure. The book abounds with exquisite photos. Quite by accident I stumbled on a story that fills my heart with joy. Shreve Stockton is a most talented writer and photographer and continues to lead a most interesting and meaningful life with her family of furry friends. Thank you, Shreve, for sharing!!!
You continue to enrich our lives each day.
Joy Atlanta GA

CUCINA Regenerating Hand Cream - 8.8 fl.oz. - Ginger and Sicilian Lemon
CUCINA Regenerating Hand Cream - 8.8 fl.oz. - Ginger and Sicilian Lemon
Offered by Natural Selection Bath and Body
Price: $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, January 17, 2009
As an octogenarian, I have tried many hand creams!!!! This is the Best.
I believe the Olive Oil and the extracts from the Olive Leaves is the secret. The fresh lemon/ginger scent is always a delight. I continue to spread the word to friends and family. Give it a try!!!! Joy

Where the Clouds Meet the Water
Where the Clouds Meet the Water
by Kimberly E. Contag
Price: $19.42
41 used & new from $4.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Where the Clouds Meet the Water, July 2, 2006
A most fascinating book which took place during the WWII. It follows a widower and his children being forced to Germany from South America. Their trials and hardships in war-torn Germany and finally their return back home. A true page turner I have shared with friends and family.

Settling
Settling
by Joan L. Cannon
9 used & new from $9.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Gifted author, and an enjoyable read, November 25, 2004
This review is from: Settling (Paperback)
If you love to turn off the TV and curl up with a really good book, here's your chance. Don't miss it! I heard of Settling by word of mouth and enthusiastically pass this on to you. We are lucky recipients of a most talented new author and-----Where have you been Joan Cannon? This is not just a usual run-of-the-mill love story set in NYC, Connecticut and on the coast of Maine----all familiar spots for me especially, but I was most taken with believable main characters who travel through very unsettled lives. Their journey is depicted with such elegance and sensitivity, one actually experiences the sights, sounds and smells of the moment.

I am enchanted with the talent of this new author and look forward to more from her in the future. She has a stylish way with words, and happily I share my enthusiam.