Profile for Dave G > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dave G RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Safari Chic: Wild Exteriors and Polished Interiors of Africa
Safari Chic: Wild Exteriors and Polished Interiors of Africa
by Bibi Jordan
35 used & new from $10.98

5.0 out of 5 stars this good lives up to it's name quite well, October 31, 2014
Hard to believe this book is nearly 15 years old. Beatifully done, this good lives up to it's name quite well. We wanted it as a resources for ideas as we plan our next home. Safari chic did not dissappoint!

Cabins and Camps
Cabins and Camps
by Ralph R. Kylloe
Price: $45.27
35 used & new from $19.57

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't disappoint. The photos are great and lots of good ..., October 29, 2014
This review is from: Cabins and Camps (Hardcover)
Wow. I'll buy anything of Kylloe's. Well done. I wanted this as resource to plan our own lodge. It doesn't disappoint. The photos are great and lots of good ideas.

Great Hunting Lodges of North America: Wingshooting's Finest Destinations
Great Hunting Lodges of North America: Wingshooting's Finest Destinations
by Paul Ferson
Price: $36.67
41 used & new from $20.96

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been fortunate to have been a guest at many of these ..., October 29, 2014
I've been fortunate to have been a guest at many of these lodges. Truly great places and a great collection of photos and stories. A nice addition to the library.

The New Safari
The New Safari
by Mandy Allen
Price: $42.92
34 used & new from $35.43

5.0 out of 5 stars I wanted it as a resource for planning our own lodge and it was definitely a good choice., October 29, 2014
This review is from: The New Safari (Hardcover)
This is a really well done book on safari lodges and style. I wanted it as a resource for planning our own lodge and it was definitely a good choice.

Great Expectations
Great Expectations
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Worth the TIme..., August 21, 2014
A traumatic experience drives a boy to escape his life, in his haste to leave he neglects the worth of those around him. His young dreams realized, he embraces people and ideas that seem right, but alas are not. Eventually, who loses all and himself. In the end, his great expectations take on a new meaning. Wonderful book, read on a dare. Definitely worth the investment.

Build the Perfect Bug Out Vehicle: The Disaster Survival Vehicle Guide
Build the Perfect Bug Out Vehicle: The Disaster Survival Vehicle Guide
by Creek Stewart
Price: $12.93
53 used & new from $6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Should Be "Standard Equipment" for Vehicle Owners, August 14, 2014
Creek Stewart has done a great job with his follow up to "Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag". Like the first one, this book is well thought out, methodical and logical in it's approach to selecting & preparing a BOV. This book covers a wide range of vehicle & transport options as well as the important pros & cons of each. It gives some recommendations based on first hand experience, but includes plenty of other options for consideration. Stewart's writing style is straightforward and easy to follow, and he doesn't sensationalize any of these issues. He also includes a large number of resource links to learn more about it. This book would be useful not only to "preppers", but anyone who relies on a vehicle to get them where they need to go. My hope now is that he will make it a trilogy and write a book on "Building the Perfect Bug Out Retreat"!

A Farewell to Mars: An Evangelical Pastor's Journey Toward the Biblical Gospel of Peace
Price: $3.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Easier said than done..., July 5, 2014
This is an easy read and the points well taken that 1) we must reject war & violence; 2) following Christ literally will mean division among our own families; and 3) the Kingdom of God is not about someday far away - it's meant to be here and now. And the author is completely right about how we've allowed Christianity to be co-opted by governments for evil purposes as well as the danger of "crowd think" and the horrible violence that can follow. The modern crusades are an example of it. But how do we reject violence at the same time we defend against evil? This is where I struggle and where I think the author could have been more expansive on the subject. All in all a great read, but still a little troubling.

West with the Night
West with the Night
Price: $8.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy the Ride!, June 13, 2014
I've read most that I can find written by the pioneers and adventurers of British East Africa in the early 20th century. And while I've been aware of this book for a long time, I was always more drawn to the male writers of the time. Now that I've read West with the Night, I have to say it would have been a mistake to overlook it. Well written in a style of prose that is long gone, it recounts Ms. Markham's amazing experiences growing up in an untamed Africa and including here pioneering flight across the Atlantic from east to west. Equally amazing is that she includes nothing about her Mother, nor her romantic relationships or subsequent marriages. While those details might have been interesting, I suppose a lady never tells, and frankly it was more interesting to read about her experiences hunting with native Africans, training racehorses, and flying across Africa in the very early days of aviation. Definitely worth reading - enjoy the ride!

299 Days: The Collapse
299 Days: The Collapse
Price: $6.95

2.0 out of 5 stars I guess I'll never know..., June 13, 2014
I read installments I & II in the 299 days series, and I was hopeful at first that this would be a series similar to "Holding Their Own" by Joe Nobody, where each book could be stand alone and each character develops more fully over time. Unfortunately, when I realized after Episode II that I was buying a $10 novel in multiple segments for what appears to be around $100 - it just pissed me off! So I guess I'll never know how it comes out, but I can deal that and keep the extra money for other books.

The Holy Bible, English Standard Version (with Cross-References)
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version (with Cross-References)
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Option, June 13, 2014
Since I travel a lot, having the Bible in digital version makes it easy to keep up on daily reading, devotions, etc. Navigating is a little more difficult than just turning to my favorite page, and it's a little more difficult to highlight and notate than the bound version. Nonetheless, this is a great option for those who want to travel light but carry the Book as well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3