Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now
Profile for DBW > Reviews

Browse

DBW's Profile

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

DBW RSS Feed (Atlanta, GA USA)

The Reluctant Novice
The Reluctant Novice

1.0 out of 5 stars Plagiarist, February 18, 2016
This is a plagiarized version of Down on Her Knees by Christine Bell. Don't take my word for it, just click the Search Inside on both books. A word here and there is changed, but this is a stolen work. Don't buy it.Down on Her Knees (Dare Me Book 3)

Auraria: A Novel
Auraria: A Novel
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Neil Gaiman Meets Foxfire, December 5, 2014
This review is from: Auraria: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
How to describe it? Auraria is a fascinating blend of fantasy and folk tale with a heavy dose of Appalachia. Masterful prose and a wonder-filled world makes for an engrossing read. Not my usual fare but I enjoyed it.

Falwyn
Falwyn
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Romantic Fairy Tale!, January 24, 2014
This review is from: Falwyn (Kindle Edition)
What kid never wandered through the forest and imagined herself a hero in a story of her own imagining? Who hasn't picked up a stick and pretended it's a sword, lance, or magical staff? Ashley Knight's Falwyn is crafted from the stuff of these fantasies. Knight blends fantasy, romance, and adventure in a tale that's sure to conjure memories of youthful daydreams. The formula here is not new- modern person drawn into another realm has been done time and again, but Falwyn is nonetheless an entertaining read that kept me engaged even though this isn't the type of story I usually go for. Recommended for Middle Grades and YA readers, as well as adults who enjoy fantasy but don't go in for the gritty, George R.R. Martin-style story. *The author's publisher provided me with a review copy of this book.

Song of Blades and Heroes Revised Edition
Song of Blades and Heroes Revised Edition
Price: $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Fast Play!, August 1, 2013
Song of Blades and Heroes is an entertaining skirmish-level war game. The rules are fairly simple, but have enough added wrinkles to make for an entertaining game. You can build war bands from the many units listed in the rule book or design your own units with a free online tool. Best of all, you can use any miniatures you like! I'm finally getting some use out of those random miniatures I've accumulated over the years.

Cradle of Solitude (Rogue Angel Book 33)
Cradle of Solitude (Rogue Angel Book 33)
Offered by Harlequin Digital Sales Corp.
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Pulp Adventure, May 31, 2013
Cradle of Solitude is fun, light adventure fare. It has a great deal in common with pulp adventure, and the parallels to Lara Croft are obvious. There is an element of fantasy- Annja has a magic sword- but in this book, its importance is limited and everything else about the story is straight-up contemporary adventure (think National Treasure with a body count). I'd probably enjoy the series more without the fantasy element, but it's so minor that it didn't ruin the story for me.

This isn't the sort of book that will ever win critical acclaim, but if a light adventure in the vein of Indiana Jones, National Treasure, Tomb Raider, and Doc Savage is what you're looking for, you'll find Cradle of Solitude an amusing diversion. The one major negative is the ending, which feels unfinished. I won't spoil it, but it's almost as if the editor told the author, "We need to cut 5,000 words off this book. Let's chop out the last two chapters and end it with a quick wrap-up." Otherwise, a fun book.

I bought both the Kindle and the audiobook. The audiobook was presented as an audio play, with different voice actors handling the dialog and a single voice actor for the narrative. Lots of sound effects mixed into the background. Not what I'm accustomed to, but enjoyable. The only voice I didn't like was that of the antagonist, a Frenchman who sounded a bit too Monty Python. I kept expecting him to shout, "I shall taunt you a saycont tahhm!"

Fat Vampire: An Underdog Vampire Novella
Fat Vampire: An Underdog Vampire Novella
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Effort, January 12, 2013
The key to writing humor is to treat the story and characters seriously no matter how silly the premise or situations might be. Truant has done a fine job, crafting a sympathetic main character and an engaging plot, all the while filling the story with bits that made me laugh or cringe. A fast read and good fun. I'll definitely read the rest of the series.

Boneshaker
Boneshaker
by Cherie Priest
Price: $10.32
229 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good But Overhyped, February 1, 2012
This review is from: Boneshaker (Paperback)
I keep vacillating between 3 and 4 stars depending on where I post my review, so I guess that makes it a sold 3 1/2 stars. I'd heard so much about Boneshaker going in that my expectations might have been too high. It's a good book with an engaging plot and a satisfying reveal at the end. Priest throws a lot of elements into the mix. As a result, most story parts are painted in light strokes. Anyone looking for heavy doses of steampunk, zombies, or alternate history will likely be disappointed. Readers simply looking to be entertained will enjoy it. In terms of prose, Priest is an excellent writer and gave me pause several times during the story with a well-turned phrase or an apt description. I found myself wanting to pause the book and jot the words down just to remember them.

On the downside, I found the characters interesting but unsympathetic. I was curious about what would happen to Zeke and Briar but I didn't particularly care. I never felt myself rooting for either one, but sat back like a dispassionate observer. Briar came across as flat, but I can't say if that's a weakness in the writing, an intentional reflection of the bleakness or her life and world, or a product of Kate Reading's performance (I listened to the audiobook), which was competent but sedate. Wil Wheaton's performance was better than I expected.

Overall, I'd say Boneshaker is a pretty good book. I'm not in a hurry to read another of Priest's books, but I'm sure I will sooner or later.

Black & Decker GH1100 Grass Hog XP 14-Inch 7.2 Amp Electric String Trimmer/Edger (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, September 14, 2008
I've gotten about three and-a-half hours of use out of this product, and the belt has already broken. The engine runs, but the trimming apparatus does not turn. Based on web searches, this appears to be a regular problem, even with the post-recall model.