Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chad Valley All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween
Profile for Bailee Grissom > Reviews

Bailee Grissom's Profile

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bailee Grissom RSS Feed (Mississippi)

Temple Run
Temple Run
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Angry Birds, September 6, 2012
This review is from: Temple Run (App)
This game is addictive! It's fun, easy to play (to a point), & it's easy to get into competing high scores with people you know (my brother hasnt beaten me yet!). Anyway, five stars, I love this game!

Fake Liar Cheat
Fake Liar Cheat
by Tod Goldberg
Price: $12.52
91 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars A build-up, let-down kind of book., February 3, 2007
This review is from: Fake Liar Cheat (Paperback)
I enjoyed another MTV book, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and thought that maybe there was something good finaly coming from the music tycoon. While I am glad that they are trying to encourage reading with books teenagers and young adults can relate to more readily, this book was a bit of a disappointment.

While the character build up is so-so, the plot makes an okay attempt at making you want to read more. I grew attached at about the seventh chapter of this very short novel and had to keep reading as Claire led Lonnie deeper into a world I do not understand, cheating the system.

Parts of the story that should have been clearer were left vauge, the plot built up into a brilliant climax, but disappointed. It seems that maybe the author wanted to be clever by having an ending that no one wanted, therefore making him a clever writing. The ending just made me sad I had wasted my time reading the book.

The author has the same, dry, simplistic writing style reminiscent of Fight Club author Chuck Palahniuk in it's delivery, but that is one of the only upsides. An audience of people who are not looking for an intriguing, thought provoking read might enjoy this, simply because it is a story with a beginning, middle, and end.

I'm not planning on recommending this to many other people.

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol. 1: The Pox Party
by M. T. Anderson
Price: $11.24
226 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Even the title of the book is clever..., February 3, 2007
This book is brilliant and masterfully written. The style is sharp, with an interesting use of vocabulary that had me snatching my dictionary off the shelf more than once. Word choice is important in how much of your characters your reader will see and through Mr. Anderson's prose, I completely connected to Octavian. When he wept, I wept, the darkness of his young soul spilling into my own as the story wove around me.

Even if you write well, it's rubbish unless you have a good story to go along with your skills, and this novel delivers. Not only did it surpise me [I had no idea this was about slaves and liberty when I first began], but it left me with a feeling of satisfaction that hangs about after you've finished a particularly stunning story.

Though labeled as a 'pre-teen' book in some places, I would advise anyone to pick it up and give it a try. There is nothing childish about it, even when the story initially is relating to a child [Octavian is no ordinary toddler]. On up into his teen years, Octavian demonstrates a gravity far beyond a normal adolescent, with lessons we could all stand to learn from.

The only drawback I noticed was during the letters towards the end of the book. I realize their creativeness, but I found myself wanting to skip ahead through the letters of Ev. Goring. While their existence shed light on what was happening to Octavian and what was occuring during the war, I found them trying and their authenticy [the odd capitalization] to be slightly annoying.

Otherwise, this was a delightful read that I am whole-heartedly looking forward to the second volume, which I am positive will inspire me as much as this one has.

Marie Antoinette: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Marie Antoinette: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Price: $12.55
71 used & new from $2.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio Delight, January 9, 2007
After seeing this spectacular movie, I knew immediately I had to have the soundtrack. It complimented the film so well and enhanced it into an entirely different experience.

Firstly, I was pleasantly surprised to see that this is two disc set with wonderful colors that pop out just as much as the cover art and the music itself. Listening to the first CD was an absolute treat that I have not stopped listening to since. This disc is filled with music that makes you feel as though you missed out on something great in the eighties for a few of them, and then that you should be paying more attention to the present with ethereal tones of recent music. There is an amazing indie feel to the tracks that is reminiscent of finding buried treasure. This CD is very upbeat and leaves you refreshed, much like the beginning/middle of the film where life is going good for the child-Dauphine.

The second disc has a melancholy air about it that settles you down, much like Marie does. When I want to relax, I set these tracks spinning and melt in the echo of Versailles. With the exception of one or two faster songs, this second disc is a perfect companion to the film that ends on a bittersweet note of what is to come.

I reccommend this whole-heartedly to any fan of the Strokes, the Arcade Fire, Air, Bow Wow Wow [and similar eighties singers], The Jesus and Mary Chain, and other indie-esque songwriters. This is a great buy [and I bought another for a friend] and would be money well spent.