Profile for J. Hoopes > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 45

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Hoopes RSS Feed (Costa Mesa, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
BISSELL DeepClean Premier Pet Full Sized Carpet Cleaner, 17N4
BISSELL DeepClean Premier Pet Full Sized Carpet Cleaner, 17N4
Price: $194.43
34 used & new from $89.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value for the Price, May 16, 2015
Overall, pretty good. Pros:
- Easy to assemble
- Seems to clean carpet pretty thoroughly
- Easy to fill and empty
- Attachment works well
- Reasonably long power cord
- Simple operation
- Good tank capacity
- Weight is low, so easy to maneuver
- I like the hair/lint trap
- Tank cleans easily
Cons:
- Doesn't do a very good job, compared to previous devices I've owned, of brushing the carpet
- Not good at edging, again compared to previous devices I've owned; need to use attachment to clean edges
- I don't like the placement of the power button.

I'd buy it again.

Belkin QODE Ultimate Keyboard Case for iPad Air (Black)
Belkin QODE Ultimate Keyboard Case for iPad Air (Black)
Price: $79.95
53 used & new from $25.10

4.0 out of 5 stars I like this keyboard, April 17, 2015
I like this keyboard. It's not perfect, but it's what I was looking for.

My iPad goes easily goes into the case and appears securely latched in. There are three sets of magnets on the cover that give you three positions to prop the iPad up. The magnets are strong and seem to prop the iPad up securely. I like the amount of travel in the keys. The tactile feedback is a little spongy, but good for such as small device. The case doesn't add too much to the thickness. One side of the back outside of the case has some rubbery areas, which makes gripping the case secure.

Two small areas of issue.

First, the keyboard is small. That's not Belkin's fault. I have big hands the keyboard runs the length of the iPad. So they did the best they could. However, find myself hitting the enter key instead of the apostrophe key fairly often.

Second, the keyboard needs to be charged. It makes complete sense because it's bluetooth connected, but I just didn't consider that before I bought the keyboard. It's one more thing you need to keep charged. It's just a reality, not a fault so much.

I really like this keyboard. I'd buy it again.

Redeployment
Redeployment
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Work That Gives Us An Insight into Humans at War, January 6, 2015
This review is from: Redeployment (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the best books I've ever read. Through a collection of short stories, the author gives us a glimpse into the process and cost of war on humans beings.

Each short story is brilliantly woven within the book to help the reader see the struggle, hurt, and resilience from many different perspectives. The writing is suitably raw and powerfully insightful. It's a gripping view of the Iraq war that I won't ever forget.

I'm stunned and grateful.

Vetri-Science Nu-Cat Senior, 120 Bite-Sized Chews
Vetri-Science Nu-Cat Senior, 120 Bite-Sized Chews
Price: $18.99
12 used & new from $15.39

4.0 out of 5 stars My Cat Loved These Supplements and Took Them Happily, November 21, 2014
My cat took these supplements for more than five years and she loved them. The taste seemed very appealing to her. The vet suggested this originally. It covers a wide variety of vitamins, minerals, and other nutritional supplements that a cat might need. My only minor complaint is that the supplements get fairly broken up in the package. That's not terrible. I just had to fish around (pardon the pun) to find a right-sized piece to match. Happy with them. I'd use them again.

USA Gear S3 Fujifilm Compact Camera Pouch Case with Impact-Resistant Protective Nylon for FinePix F900EXR , XP60 , T500 , XF1 , XP50 and More Fuji Digital Cameras! *Bonus Cleaning Cloths*
Offered by Beach Audio
Price: $12.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, Low Cost, November 21, 2014
The padding is fairly thin. I wouldn't use this as the primary protection for my camera. In my situation, the case always should be inside something else, so it should be okay. The one I got was very shoddy in terms of workmanship. The sewing looks like someone was in way too much of a hurry when they did it. The seams are nothing near straight. Yes, I know it has a low price, but I'd be embarrassed if my name were on it. I wouldn't buy it again. I think for a little bit more you could find something of reasonable quality.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Genius DVR-FHD590 Full HD Vehicle Video Recorder with 128-Degree Wide Angle and G-Sensor
Price: $111.04
45 used & new from $69.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Device, Good Video Quality, Easy to Use, October 9, 2014
So sadly, I destroyed mine already. I can report with confidence that it's not waterproof or, more accurately, orange soda proof. That's no fault of the camera. So here are my impressions.

Pros:
I like the video quality. It's got a decent field of view and things like traffic lights (red/green/yellow) are clearly visible as are license plates, street signs, and other information you may want when you need video.

I like the user interface. The menus are generally easy to navigate and there are good configuration options. For example, I turned off sound recording because that seemed unnecessary to me. The options were generally clear and easy to find.

It has reasonably quick startup. I'd say it takes about five seconds for it to start recording.

You get a decent amount of video on a 32GB micro SDHC card.

The mounting options are acceptable and the suction cup I used to attach it to the windshield stayed put.

Cons:
Battery life isn't all that long, so I left it plugged all the time.
It gets warm during use.
It's big, (roughly two inches square) so it blocks a meaningful part of the front windshield.
That's about it.

Overall, I was pretty happy with it. I think I'll just replace it with another of the same one, but try to keep orange sodas away from it.

iPhone 6 Plus Case, Spigen [HEAVY DUTY] Tough Armor Case for iPhone 6 Plus (5.5-Inch) - Metal Slate (SGP10915)
Price: $21.21
16 used & new from $12.97

2.0 out of 5 stars Slick Plastic Means I'm Going to Drop It, September 19, 2014
My biggest problem with this case is that it feels a little slippery to me. I wish it were made of a more grippy substance, but most of what your hand comes in contact with is a slick plastic.

In some respects, what this case needs to do, it probably does pretty well and that's protect the phone. The interior parts seem to be made of a fairly shock absorbing material. The corners are also strengthened.

However, I'll be getting something else. I'm going to drop my phone in this case even if this is fairly protective, I don't want to take the chance.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2014 11:24 AM PDT

My Beloved Brontosaurus: On the Road with Old Bones, New Science, and Our Favorite Dinosaurs
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, wonderful description of the evolution of the study of dinosaurs, May 17, 2014
This is one of the best books that I've read recently. The author describes how dynamic the field of paleontology is. He relates how the field was seen as a child and how that body of knowledge has changed since then and how the subject has changed since it took off more than a century ago. This isn't dry writing from an academic journal. It's personal and approachable, but still accurate. He explains what we know, what we believe may be true, and what we don't know. He answers some of the common questions that anyone interested in this subject may have. He seems to have an incredibly solid knowledge of the subject. It's just a terrific book all around.

Philips Sonicare HX9332/05 DiamondClean Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush, White
Philips Sonicare HX9332/05 DiamondClean Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush, White
Offered by Shopwise
Price: $180.00
26 used & new from $177.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean Teeth, Elegant Design, Great Toothbrush, September 29, 2013
I've been using this toothbrush for about three weeks now. I switched from a manual toothbrush. It does take a bit of getting used to, but it has a mode that helps ease the transition.

I love the clean design of the toothbrush. The best word I can think of is elegant. It feels sturdy and solid in your hand. Even though it is plastic, it doesn't feel like cheap plastic at all.

Of course, the most important thing is how it works. My dentist says my teeth and gums are noticeably better. She saw a big improvement. I didn't tell her until after her comments what toothbrush I was using. She wasn't at all surprised.

It comes with a glass that I don't use that can be used for charging. I just use the supplied charging base. It uses induction charging, so you don't plug the brush into anything specifically. I think it's a magnetic field that charges the brush.

I used it for almost three weeks, twice a day, off the first charge. It has a very nice travel case and combination charger. It's a very solid design all around.

My teeth aren't pretty, but they're healthy and I want to keep them. I also want to minimize the amount of work my dentist has to do and I think it's going to work for that purpose. So this was a very good purchase.

Sony HT-CT660 46-Inch Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer
Sony HT-CT660 46-Inch Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer
Offered by SupremeElectronics
3 used & new from $269.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Sound, Hard to Read, Easy Setup, September 2, 2013
It was very easy to set this up. The instructions were brief and clear. It worked quickly out of the box.

The sound is good. Your expectations need to be set correctly. This isn't a competitor to a 7-channel set of high quality stereo speakers. It is an enormous jump up from the speakers in most televisions.

The subwoofer sounds good. You'll need to adjust the tone for your environment. That's easy to do with the remote.

One complaint I have, and it's minor, is that the display is extremely dim. I can't read it in anything other than a largely dark room. I wish it adjusted to the light level in the room.

It also blocks the IR receiver for my television, which is ironic because I have a Sony television. I end up holding the remote at the upper end of my reach to turn off the television.

My last comment is that I wish there was an app to control it. The bluetooth works great for playing music from my phone. I wish Sony would write an app so that I could change settings, choose presets, and choose inputs from my phone or tablet. That would give this a five star rating for me.

Overall, I'm happy with it. I'd buy it again.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2013 12:19 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5