Profile for Michael Fitzgerald > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Fitzgerald RSS Feed (Melbourne, Australia)

The Royal Tenenbaums (The Criterion Collection)
The Royal Tenenbaums (The Criterion Collection)
DVD ~ Owen Wilson
Price: $14.07
124 used & new from $2.47

5.0 out of 5 stars So many things to so many people, May 13, 2002
16 pages of Amazon reviews relating to The Royal Tenenbaums ranging from hatred to awe suggests something interesting is going on with this one of a kind movie.
After seeing the movie more than a month ago, I started recounting some of the more emotional moments in the film as I sat with my wife in a shopping mall eating a souvlaki. I actually found that I was getting choked up just describing the moments and my wife looked blankly at me.
"Is this a mid-life crisis or something?"
She liked the film, but couldn't believe that it had emotionally effected me to the extent that it had.
"This has probably got something to do with your family, you know."
Possibly. But it might also have something to do with a film which on the surface seems to present an artificial and childlike story about an unusual family but underneath captured some illuminating truths about the human condition.
I obviously liked the film because I gave it 5 stars and l am looking forward to spending the rest of my life trying to figure out why.
I can understand why many people disliked it so much but I am fascinated with the concept that I have little idea why I love it.
The Royal Tenenbaums is the reason that I go to the movies. I want to be surprised and engaged in a fictional world where I am taken to a place that I have never been before. And there is no place like the Royal Tenenbaum's.

The Sopranos: Season 2
The Sopranos: Season 2
DVD ~ James Gandolfini
Price: $17.99
26 used & new from $12.57

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sopranos - The Complete Second Season, September 11, 2001
This review is from: The Sopranos: Season 2 (DVD)
I have just viewed the first few episodes of the 2nd season DVD set and am again bowled over by the picture and sound clarity. The wide screen is also impressive.
The documentary extras are great but it is ashame that there isn't more to look at. I guess what I am looking for are insights into what makes the programs so great. I wonder if the real problem is matching the incredibly high quality of the program with high quality documentaries. They matched the quality successfully but at the expense of quantity.
The Sopranos and DVD just go as well together as Gladiator and DVD. And the picture is so much clearer than when I watched the program on television.
I'm not sure why the show is so good because when I watch it, everything seems so wrong and yet so right at the same time. I don't even like gangster films and am horrified by much of the subject matter, but find myself idolising Tony Soprano. Is there something wrong with that?
When I am finished viewing the second set, I'm just going right back to the start of Series One again to see if I can get to the bottom of why I am so fascinated with this show.