Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS
Profile for the_sheep > Reviews

Browse

the_sheep's Profile

Customer Reviews: 37

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

the_sheep RSS Feed (Milwaukee, WI)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Transformers More Than Meets The Eye! Roar Of The Dinobots
Transformers More Than Meets The Eye! Roar Of The Dinobots
DVD ~ Peter Cullen
Price: $7.50
27 used & new from $2.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Grimlock review this one. This story all about Grimlock ..., July 16, 2014
Grimlock review this one.

This story all about Grimlock, where Grimlock and Dinobots come from. You watch!

Grimlock not the brightest, but me make Technobots. So there!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2014 9:52 AM PDT

X10 Powermid PM5900 Remote Control Extender Kit - Includes a Transmitter and Receiver
Offered by Texas Home Automation
Price: $45.99
2 used & new from $45.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive little repeater, and some tips on use, July 9, 2014
When I moved into my new place, the previous owners had a home theater space wired for the receiver to go in an enclosed closet, but with no remote control solution. I decided that IR repeaters (instead of HDMI CEC) would be the most flexible way to control just about anything in the closet, including an AppleTV. So I began researching IR repeaters.

What I learned from studying reviews was that many IR repeaters have issues with:
- CFL lights
- Plasma televisions
- LCD televisions

Further, it seemed that *all* brands had issues with at least one of those three, even ones that claimed to filter out such interference. Thus, I surmised the only way to get a reliable IR repeater system was to buy one, try it, and if it doesn't work, try a different one. Le sigh...

Dear manufacturers: in 2014, most people have at least two of those three in their living room! The design you put together in 1999 for your incandescent lit room and your rear-projection TV doesn't cut it anymore. Please make new designs and stop selling old ones.

I settled on the X10 Powermids because: 1) it was cheaper than all the other competing options, 2) the sending unit is not mechanically connected like most IR eyes are, so I could move around the transmitter to evade IR eye interference, 3) the receiver unit has a wide-range blaster so you aren't required to buy a bunch of those blinky-eye IR emitters (it has a handy plug on the back if you need them anyway, which is nice).

The Powermids are well-built too: both units had antennas (unlike the product photo), and beefy power connectors, and fine fit and finish. The Transmitter will show red when it is receiving what it thinks is a remote signal.

I hooked them up last night and discovered that, yep, my plasma + CFL setup does in fact cause a lot of interference on the IR eye, even from 7-10 feet away from the screen and bulbs - red light on all the time. However, with some clever placement in a bookshelf and putting a DVD case in the direction of the plasma, I was able to get the transmitter to only accept remote IR signals that bounced over the top of the DVD case. For how little I paid and 15 minutes of setup - that's pretty cool. I plan to build something more permanent out of wood to cover the transmitter.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice poster, and the price for it is reasonable, July 8, 2014
Very nice poster, and the price for it is reasonable. Note: the one I received wasn't quite 27x40... there was maybe about 1/2 an inch off in the height of the poster.

QBasic By Example, Special Edition
QBasic By Example, Special Edition
by Greg M. Perry
Price: $31.04
66 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I program today because of this book, August 28, 2013
When I was 12, my dad helped me write a GW-BASIC game for our first PC running MS-DOS 3.

When I was 13, we upgraded and got a new PC that had MS-DOS 6, which had this new thing called qbasic.exe. Realizing that this was the key to programming games, I begged my dad to help me find a book on QBasic.

A few days later, we went to a local computer bookstore, and I began my search. I found the QBasic section, but all the books were complicated, with titles like "Advanced QBasic Game Programming." I was sad. I asked a store employee for help, and no good - there were no beginner books.

Saddened, I went to leave the store with my dad, when the same store employee came running up to catch us. He said, "We received this book as a review copy, and no longer need it. You may have it." And he handed me QBasic by Example.

This book became my programming bible. I read it cover-to-cover and took it everywhere. I learned about doing computer math and printing strings. I learned about goto and subroutines, and how the latter were better. About how to make sounds come out of the glorious PC speaker. How to show graphics. This book taught me the fundamentals of structured programming. Since that time, I learned other programming languages (VB6, some Forth, C, C++, VB.NET, C#, and more), because of my interest. And eventually I got a job doing it.

But it wouldn't have happened without this book, or the guy at the store who gave me the copy. This book built my initial knowledge of computer programming, and I am grateful.

Pinball Wizardry: The Theory and Practice of the Art and Science of Pinball (A Reward book)
by Robert Polin
21 used & new from $99.61

5.0 out of 5 stars A treatise on playing classic machines, April 26, 2013
This book covers techniques for playing with classic machines - SS and EM machines 1979 and earlier. Which is awesome. Also includes a good exploration of the El Dorado playfield, and has a fantastic appendix on non-traditional flipper layouts and what moves work on which.

This book, and the Pinball 101 DVD, make a serious intro to pinball skill.

Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego? - The Complete Series
Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego? - The Complete Series
DVD ~ Rita Moreno
Price: $7.54
29 used & new from $3.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Just right, April 26, 2013
This DVD set is just right.

The price is low. The content is terrific.

Could they have higher quality transfers? Yeah. But enh... you just got 40 episodes of Carmen Sandiego stealing stuff from all over the globe for a reasonable price. It's also a kids show, not super serious. The fact that they even made the DVD set... that thrilled me alone.

Brought me back to my childhood, learned a little something, and was thoroughly entertained in the process.

And I'll finally get to learn... did Zach + Ivy ever actually catch Carmen?

Designing Object Oriented C++ Applications Using The Booch Method
Designing Object Oriented C++ Applications Using The Booch Method
by Robert C. Martin
44 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book to learn OO, June 10, 2012
This book is the first attempt by Robert Martin to condense his OO design ideas to one spot. Since this book, he's done two more that have the same topic but use Java and C#. While the other two have far more mature thinking behind them, this book presents a number of topics for people new or hostile to OOP. His later books assume you believe OO is right and true.

- it starts with an argument and explanation for OO
- has a discussion of paradigm differences between OO and other styles
- Explores good C++ style and organization that later works don't.

In short, if you're doing C++ and don't know these concepts, read this book.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The moves work, June 4, 2012
An old guy told me, "You *will* play better after watching this.". Didn't believe him - pinball is completely random, but what the hey, it's cheap and I could learn a little something - why not?

Watched it, was very skeptical. Intentionally cheesy, but very informative. Looked too easy. But thought - why not try? So I pulled out Epic Pinball on my PC and... I did the moves. They worked. And thought - might as well try on a real table. Went to an arcade and got a replay my second try on Transformers.

Just got second place at a competition last night, and I've only been playing two months. Missed first because the final round was on a 1970s EM table which I had little time to practice on, and the DVD covers newer SS machines mostly. 99% of the machines in arcades and bars are the newer SS type.

Be careful... You may get hooked.

Much ADO about Almost Nothing: Man's Encounter with the Electron
Much ADO about Almost Nothing: Man's Encounter with the Electron
by Hans Camenzind
Price: $15.95
39 used & new from $11.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun to Read History of Electricity, July 2, 2010
Very much enjoyed this book. Got a little bogged down in the segment on discovering the electron - all that stuff about atoms perplexes me.

But for the most part, an exciting book and fun to read.

Note, though, that not a whole lot of explanation as to the scientific principles involved is done. It's primarily a history book, not a physics text.

Ink [Blu-ray]
Ink [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Christopher Soren Kelly
Offered by Double Edge Films, Co.
Price: $15.99
3 used & new from $13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Low Budget with Great Ambition, June 1, 2010
This review is from: Ink [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I heard about Ink via Netflix, and after watching it (the Blu-Ray edition), I must say - I was very impressed.

The story is about a battle over the life of a little girl - in dream-land and in real-life. Will she be taken, or will she live? A universe filled with dream-land warriors seeks to battle for her fate in the real world. Storytellers, Pathfinders, and Incubi. Hospital visits and business deals.

The film is rather rough around the edges - the acting isn't top notch with no-names, it feels like it was shot on home video cameras. It reminded me of lower-budget professional films: Fireproof, the Left Behind series, stuff you'd see on SyFy on a Sunday afternoon, etc. It's indie - take it for what you will.

However, I was able to ignore the above for one simple reason: the material was better. The SFX are great, the visuals are haunting, the story is moving. It does have an amateur feel - but I actually didn't find this a distraction. In a sense, it made the film more real... how many people do you really know who act or behave in the fashion popular actors do in Hollywood films? The people in this film said things that I could see my friends saying, acted the way my friends would act.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4