Profile for Daniel W. Warren > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Daniel W. Warren RSS Feed (Jacksonville, FL)

Page: 1 | 2
Cosmos ® Plastic Vertical Smart Stand (one pc of black only) for Sony PlayStation 4 / PS4 Console
Offered by Cosmos Tech&Leisure
Price: $7.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it holds the PS4 upright., June 11, 2014
Yep, not too much else to say about this. You fit the PS4 into it sideways and you'll notice how it sort of clamps into place as you mess with it. I was a bit apprehensive because I had wondered how effective something so simple (because really it is just a piece of plastic) would work out. It works fine with no real issues. I also tend to believe that the mesh does allow for the PS4 to "breathe" more easily, but that's just my humble opinion. Also, it tends to stay in place and PS4 doesn't "wobble" as I've seen some reviews for other similar products talk about. I move my PS4 around quite frequently. I typically pick it up and take it outside to set up so I can enjoy my game on the screened-in back porch so I can smoke, drink, and be merry outside. Just a personal preference for me. I've never had the stand fall off of it or anything like that. Also, be warned, this stand literally just clamps onto the PS4. I found myself looking and checking and wondering if there was more to it. There's not. It's simple and easy, just clamp it on.

To Honor You Call Us (Man of War Book 1)
To Honor You Call Us (Man of War Book 1)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly awesome and excellent story that captures that "Master & Commander" vibe in a naval sci-fi setting!!!, April 21, 2014
I have read a great many books on Kindle concerning "Naval Space warfare and combat", listed as simply Sci Fi. To me, this book (and the next one which I intend to review as soon as I finish) is simply an awesome read. I love it when I have moments when I can read a book and laugh out loud (particularly Admiral Hornmeyer's appearances and his naval messages in the story). I love it when a story can give me those chills of deep emotion concerning patriotism, duty, and camaraderie. Some military-style fiction tries and it comes across as too forced, typically I find myself rolling my eyes, but this one's different. It doesn't come across as forced or cheesy, it's genuine and just an all-around different feel to it.

I served in the navy onboard a destroyer and I think the author truly captured that feel of the "Old Navy" kinds of chiefs and officers you occasionally run into in the military, those old salty guys who you think sailed the Ark and will remind you that they've flushed more sea water than you've seen (to the younger guys like me). Guys that you can't help but to respect and admire. As I read the book, I though for certain the author had served in the navy, and I was expecting a bio with military service; however, he's a retired lawyer and a fan of sci fi and military history (and believe you me, you see it as you read). I sensed a couple of subtle nods of respect to some of the other great naval fiction writers like Patrick O'Brian (the Captain Jack Aubrey series) and C.S. Forester (Horatio Hornblower series), both of which I love and enjoy a great deal; however, don't think that this book is simply a cheap knock-off of those stories, this is something else that is just as cool (maybe cooler because some of the old-school nauticle stuff can get kind of dry in those other stories...I'll admit it). And I especially enjoyed the explanations of the some of the sci fi starship elements of the storyline. They sound plausible and possible and aren't dull and uninteresting explanations. And the author's explanations of intricate space maneuvers is really well done. I could actually see the maneuvers in my head that he was describing and I knew exactly what was going on without having to re-read sections to keep track of what was going on. And I really enjoyed the fact that the boarding cutlass and M-1911 is still a viable weapon even in this futuristic setting.

Anyway, I Loved the story and if you enjoy books such as what I described above, I highly recommend this series!!!! I can't wait to see more!!!!

Jackson 22475 Nemesis 3020121 Safety Glasses Black Frame Smoke Lens Anti Fog, 1 Each
Offered by Fastway Safety
Price: $8.45
11 used & new from $5.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Dark Glasses!!, April 14, 2014
These glasses are awesome!! I'm one of those "I'm not spending $100 on sunglasses!" kind of guys. I'm more the $20 in a drugstore glasses kinda guy. Unfortunately, those sunglasses generally suck at blocking sunlight....with these glasses, I have no problems....they are comfortable, light, durable, and extremely dark enough, even for me with my light sensitivity thing. I also enjoy the fact that they wrap around your head and block light from the sides as well. And finally, you can't beat the price!!

Cold Steel Cutlass Machete
Cold Steel Cutlass Machete
Price: $35.37
16 used & new from $32.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Limb-Lopper!!!, August 21, 2013
This is one of those cutting tools that you can't help but to feel like a bad-a$$ as soon as you strap the thing on.

I was blown away when it arrived, the box was HUGE!! I reverently removed the cutlass from the box and could not help but to giggle maniacally at the sheer size of the thing. I immediately took it outside to judge Mother Nature for a bit and judge I did. You know those weeds that when ignored become small trees? Yeah, well I've got quite a few of those in my yard and there is this particular small forest at the edge of my yard that we refer to as "Little Cambodia". Now, I'm not joking when I refer to this as a "small forest". In fact, I believe the only way I can retake the ground from nature is by virtue of a flame thrower (which my wife just absolutely refuses to allow me to try) and so I chop away at this ground from time to time in order to reclaim it.

This cutlass was devastating, despite the factory edge. The length of the blade allows for an awesome swing that requires little effort in devastating nature. Later, I added a fine razor's edge (not the wrestling move - even though that might be cool) and now the thing's just scary. The grip is cool and I love it; however, the PVC composite that the handle is composed of made me slightly uneasy at the prospect of the thing slipping out of my hand and so I wrapped the grip with 550 paracord to enable me to have a better grip, and plus, it just looks cool; however, it should be noted that I can't snap the sheath closed due to the extra diameter of the paracord around the handle, but honestly, that doesn't matter to me much because I must be ready to draw at moment's notice...trees, zombies, demons, rabid weasels, and home invaders (The added benefit would be that it would certainly be easy to take a trophy-arm or whatnot) ....

I take down trees with this sword with reckless abandon that would normally require my chainsaw (Chain-Friend) or my ax (Back-Biter) and we're talking like stuff with like 4-5 inch diameters....mind you it takes a few swings, but hell, let's face it, I like the work-out and the opportunity to vent frustration....

Oh yeah, the sheath is straight and not curved like the sword. Again, not a deal breaker, but I thought I would add that.

In closing, this sword is awesome! It is a fine friend to have in a myriad of situations. There is actually a video on Youtube where some guys are chopping away at a beef carcass showing off the sword's capability, and I could not help but to be pleased.

I have not named my new friend yet, but I'm still working on that....

Wagan 2577 Personal Fridge/Warmer - 7L Capacity
Wagan 2577 Personal Fridge/Warmer - 7L Capacity
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Mini-cooler!!, August 21, 2013
I bought this on a lightning deal for the office. Due to some recent construction adjustments, it is quite the journey to the fridge in the break room. So, I got tired of that and bought this to plug in under my desk to keep my lunch and drinks.

When it arrived, I realized I would also have to purchase an adapter for it to plug into AC power. Though it does already come with the cigarette lighter adapter.

I bought the "Wagan 5 Amp AC to 12V DC Power Adapter" because I didn't want to take any chances buying some other cheaper adapter because I've had some bad experiences killing certain electronics with knock-off brand adapters.

Thus far, the thing works great. I show up to work and I plug it in. The inner metal liner of the cooler itself actually cools down and will actually form a bit of ice. To compare the "cooling power" of the cooler, I placed a cool drink alongside a bottled drink that was room temperature. Both drinks were cooled by the afternoon for lunch (approximately 4 hours later)!!

I have not tried the warmer yet, nor have I traveled with my cooler in my car yet (haven't made a road trip yet since I have bought it), but I am looking forward to test-driving this cooler in my car.

I will likely update this review once I've tried that out.

My Monster Mama Loves Me So
My Monster Mama Loves Me So
by Laura Leuck
Price: $6.99
91 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my young son's favorite books!!, January 3, 2013
What can I say about this book? My son is 22 months old (almost 2 years old) and he absolutely loves this book. Mommy is typically forced (in that convincing way that only your kids can do) to read it at least twice at bedtime. He absolutely loves it!!

Zombie Crusade
Zombie Crusade
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Story!, January 3, 2013
This review is from: Zombie Crusade (Kindle Edition)
Y'know when you typically read a zombie story and everyone is unprepared and the vast majority of the book is spent with the simple struggle of food, water and shelter/protection? Okay, this isn't one of those zombie stories. This is something entirely different. The main character already knows what's coming and put it simply, he is very, very well prepared.

Overall, an excellent story and I can't wait to read more!

Dead Six
Dead Six
by Larry Correia
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.98
73 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, November 30, 2012
This review is from: Dead Six (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought this having found out that Larry Correia (the same author of the Monster Hunter series, which I've been following since the beginning) had also written this book. Of course the story did not disappoint!

The Monster Hunters
The Monster Hunters
by Larry Correia
Price: $16.32
53 used & new from $8.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, November 30, 2012
This review is from: The Monster Hunters (Hardcover)
I love this series! I've been tracking this series since the first book. Mr. Correia has an excellent series and I hope he continues the good work!

Dragon's Dogma - Playstation 3
Dragon's Dogma - Playstation 3
Offered by Justsomedeals
Price: $11.17
106 used & new from $8.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Love/Hate Relationship, July 13, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've been playing this for about 2 weeks now as a strider with a mage pawn...

Pros:
-Awesome Battles - Boss battles are actually quite intense. Some of these monsters you face are HUGE. And I do love the aspect of climbing the monster till I reach it's forehead and begin happily jabbing away into its brainpan with my awesome daggers! Very Cool!

-Pawn System - I originally bought this for the intriguing aspect of this pawn system. Long story short, you make a henchman - The henchman can be recruited by another player online and gain knowledge, items, and experience. You can do the same for other players online as well. So it's quite interesting and I kind of dig it. The best part is that your henchman (pawn) never leaves your side; however, when you rest at an inn, you get word that apparently your pawn has been breaking heads with other players. Kinda cool!

-Big World - Lots of exploring to do - Like I said...I've been playing for 2 weeks, but this thing is like HUGE - likely not Skyrim BIG - but still, a vast world with a lot of stuff to see...should keep you occupied for awhile...

-One aspect I like is that when you venture out at night, it is actually a little scary...you can't see very far in front of you - you're only fighting by a torchlight on your belt, and in the dark surrounding you, you can hear whatever monsters gathering...I like it that I'm actually nervous that something may happen to my character...

-Character customization - Huge amount of character customization for your character and your pawn. There are some bizarre body type configurations if you like the idea of playing a mutant...

Cons:
You only have ONE save game - unless of course you want to do some shake and bake and move your character to a thumbdrive or whatever, but I'll be honest...I'm too lazy to do all of that. So the fact that you only have ONE save for your ONE character is kinda BS.

No Fast Travel - 'Nuff said. I mean, they got these little token-like things that are hella-expensive, but you don't just find them lying around all over or anything...So anyway, you will be traveling back and forth to a lot to the same places and fighting that same group of goblins over and over again...which is good and bad dependent on how you look at it...

The talking from your henchmen...they will repeat many, many things over and over again. I find it's easier if I lower the voice volume and leave everything else as is...

Story and quests are pretty lame and unimaginative...

In Closing:
Overall I like the game, it's difficult which keeps me coming back to it. It angers me often with the little stupid things that's wrong with it, but obviously it doesn't bother me that much because I keep playing it...I only wish I was able to have more than one save file. I feel that detracts from being able to fully explore and appreciate the game such as changing your class. I did learn this the hard way when I upgraded my Strider to an Arcane Archer, and decided I did not want to play an arcane archer yet...I figured, "Okay, no big deal, I'll just go back to my old class and continue to be awesome.." Ho, ho...not so...I had to buy back my old class and I dropped in my ranking for that class to 0. Not cool at all...But despite that harsh learning experience, I still like it, hence my Love/Hate relationship with Dragon's Dogma...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2012 8:53 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2