Profile for aurorachica > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

aurorachica "aurorachica" RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2
The Art and Craft of Popular Music
The Art and Craft of Popular Music
14 used & new from $1.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Joy Electric?, March 27, 2006
Like Joy Electric? Getting into Joy Electric? This is a perfect 1st buy - you get a whole package of Joy Electric songs. A great deal!

Concordant Literal New Testament With Keyword Concordance
Concordant Literal New Testament With Keyword Concordance
by A. E. Knoch
22 used & new from $32.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Excellent!, March 4, 2006
I love this Bible!
It is one of the most literal Bibles I have read and it's closer to the Greek scriptures than many translations that I've ever come accross before(in my opinion - based on my research.
It has excellent notes in the back as well and references to greek words and more.
One should also keep in mind that when this man translated this he said that this was "a work in progress" - it was work he never got to finish his work completely - he died before he could finish all of his studies and work. However, it is very much a good study guide and I love it.

The Message//REMIX: The Bible in Contemporary Language
The Message//REMIX: The Bible in Contemporary Language
by Eugene H. Peterson
136 used & new from $0.05

1.0 out of 5 stars ...The Message Re-translated..., March 4, 2006
Believe it or not - he didn't directly translate "The Message" in itself from the Greek and Hebrew texts. In fact, it is all notes that this pastor had from all of these years. I found this out from an article the pastor wrote himself. Even so, this (including the original "The Message") is sadly a horribly inaccurate translation. The Message is basically his interpretation from an already translated bible as opposed to Greek and Hebrew Scriptures - the original languages all those books were originally written in. I've seen MUCH better. I've seen WAY better than this. One of my friends has described this as "a very weird translation".

If you do not believe me about the article, then surf the internet for the information. Hey, maybe you'll find more information I didn't see. I'm not joking either - I didn't make any of this up.

Don't be afraid to test all things to even what I'm saying. Don't believe what every pastor is telling you before you test it yourself - test even your own pastor.

The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language
The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language
by Eugene H. Peterson
159 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Biblical notes from a Pastor - that's how this book began., March 4, 2006
Believe it or not - he didn't directly translate this from the Greek and Hebrew texts. In fact, this is all notes that this pastor had from all of these years. I found this out from an article the pastor wrote himself - [and when people had read over some of his notes they told him they were good and published the notes as a Bible]. Even so - in my opinion, this is sadly a horribly inaccurate translation. Basically it's his interpretation from an already translated bible as opposed to Greek and Hebrew Scriptures - the original languages all those books were originally written in. Many have changed their own minds calling it a "paraphrase", but in my opinion I don't really think it's that - I've seen MUCH better. I've seen WAY better than this. One of my friends has described this as "a very weird translation".

It is written in a note-like format a lot of the time.
Examples :
Genesis 1:1-3
1 First this: God created the Heavens and Earth--all you see, all you don't see.
2 Earth was a soup of nothingness, a bottomless emptiness, an inky blackness. God's Spirit brooded like a bird above the watery abyss. 3God spoke: "Light!" And light appeared.(MSG)

Compared to :

Genesis 1:1-3
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
2The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.
3Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light. (NASB)

John 1: 1-4
1 The Word was first, the Word present to God, God present to the Word. The Word was God, 2 in readiness for God from day one. 3 Everything was created through him; nothing--not one thing! - came into being without him. 4What came into existence was Life, and the Life was Light to live by. (MSG)

John 1: 1-4
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men.

Jude 1: 11-16
1 I'm fed up with them! They've gone down Cain's road; they've been sucked into Balaam's error by greed; they're canceled out in Korah's rebellion.12 These people are warts on your love feasts as you worship and eat together. They're giving you a black eye--carousing shamelessly, grabbing anything that isn't nailed down. They're-
Puffs of smoke pushed by gusts of wind;
late autumn trees stripped clean of leaf and fruit,
Doubly dead, pulled up by the roots;
13 wild ocean waves leaving nothing on the beach
but the foam of their shame;
Lost stars in outer space
on their way to the black hole.
14 Enoch, the seventh after Adam, prophesied of them: "Look! The Master comes with thousands of holy angels 15to bring judgment against them all, convicting each person of every defiling act of shameless sacrilege, of every dirty word they have spewed of their pious filth." 16These are the "grumpers," the bellyachers, grabbing for the biggest piece of the pie, talking big, saying anything they think will get them ahead.

Jude 1: 11-16
11 Woe to them! For they have gone the way of Cain, and for pay they have rushed headlong into the error of Balaam, and perished in the rebellion of Korah. 12 These are the men who are hidden reefs in your love feasts when they feast with you without fear, caring for themselves; clouds without water, carried along by winds; autumn trees without fruit, doubly dead, uprooted; 13 wild waves of the sea, casting up their own shame like foam; wandering stars, for whom the black darkness has been reserved forever. 14 It was also about these men that Enoch, in the seventh generation from Adam, prophesied, saying, "Behold, the Lord came with many thousands of His holy ones,
15 to execute judgment upon all, and to convict all the ungodly of all their ungodly deeds which they have done in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him." 16 These are grumblers, finding fault, following after their own lusts; they speak arrogantly, flattering people for the sake of gaining an advantage. (NASB)

Matthew 3:7-10
7 When John realized that a lot of Pharisees and Sadducees were showing up for a baptismal experience because it was becoming the popular thing to do, he exploded: "Brood of snakes! What do you think you're doing slithering down here to the river? Do you think a little water on your snakeskins is going to make any difference? 8 It's your life that must change, not your skin! 9 And don't think you can pull rank by claiming Abraham as father. Being a descendant of Abraham is neither here nor there. Descendants of Abraham are a dime a dozen. 10 What counts is your life. Is it green and blossoming? Because if it's deadwood, it goes on the fire.

Matthew 3:7-10
7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism, he said to them, "You brood of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
8"Therefore bear fruit in keeping with repentance;
9and do not suppose that you can say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham for our father'; for I say to you that from these stones God is able to raise up children to Abraham.
10"The axe is already laid at the root of the trees; therefore every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. (NASB)

I hope that these verses will speak for themselves.

If i were stuck on an island and this was the only Bible there, I would not read it. This isn't even a translation, because he didn't translate anything from Hebrew or Greek. He translated english to another form of english. If you do not believe me, then surf the internet for the information. I'm not joking either - I didn't make any of this up.

Fall Awake
Fall Awake
2 used & new from $127.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Remixes!, February 20, 2006
This review is from: Fall Awake (Audio CD)
When I bought this I really loved it.

I learned to love "Fall Awake" most of all the remixes of it.

I also enjoyed how they placed a song by another band and 2 other remixes The Echoing Green helped with at the end - It made me get interested in that band a little more as well.

Overall, it's a nice CD for Echoing Green fans and people who really enjoy remixes of songs. It's also great a cd for Techno fans.

The Evergreen Annex
The Evergreen Annex
9 used & new from $11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, February 20, 2006
This review is from: The Evergreen Annex (Audio CD)
This Cd is awesome! You really get sinking in to the cool remixes and is pure techno/dance - perhaps even at it's best.

I definitely recommend this to Echoing Green fans, techno fans, and even dance fans.

Anywhere But Home (w/ bonus DVD)
Anywhere But Home (w/ bonus DVD)
Price: $10.05
95 used & new from $0.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Live: Not as great as FALLEN, but pretty good., February 18, 2006
If you're planning on getting your first Evanescence CD, then get Fallen first before this album. For Live it's pretty good.

However for Bring me to Life if Paul McCoy from 12 Stones actually was there to sing his parts instead of some other guy in Evanescence doing his part ... then it would have improved the album - In my Opinion.

I also liked that they had their music videos on the dvd. This includes their most recent music video entitled "Everybody's Fool".

I really liked the last track (that is NOT live) at the end entitled "Missing". It's very pretty.

If you're somewhat neutral or not too picky about the way "live" music sounds and you really like Evanescence, then this Cd is for you [Hey, AND you get a bonus track entitled "missing" near the end!]

The Light in Guinevere's Garden
The Light in Guinevere's Garden
44 used & new from $0.16

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY GOOD BALANCE OF SONGS, February 18, 2006
I really liked a lot of these songs. I liked the fast ones a lot and I even liked their slower songs - their slow song "She Cries" is very pretty and "Song X" and "Wake" are just awesome.

Like hard rock/metal? This is for you!

Hope in Anguish
Hope in Anguish
Price: $11.48
48 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars COOL! - here are some meanings I get out of the songs..., February 18, 2006
This review is from: Hope in Anguish (Audio CD)
I really liked this album, although they could have improved on some of the slow songs here and there. I realy loved East West's first album I must say. Do not misjudge the lyrics though. In the song "Murderer" you may be hearing violent lyrics, but keep in mind it's not "literally" in the view of the singer...but in the view of a "Murderer" which is why it's called "Murderer" and it illustrates the emptiness and perhaps helplessness those type of people sink into. Because Murderers are still people too and I think that song shows an extremely interesting and different point of view of how a Murderer feels so many mixed emotions. An example from the song is near the end they sing "Nothing Breathes inside... Nothing Lives inside..." as the song fades out.

The 1st song "Vacant" is representing an example of a mistake/sin that grows and gets larger and reaps into a result of chaos: "Feed a lie, Watch it birth, Kiss the Dirt"

"Brutally Wrong" is something that's harder for me to interperet however - what sticks out most in the lyrics is "What could you ever gain...?" - "...Brutally Wrong it's all a game."

If your really really really liked their first album, you may also like this one, however you may like their first one better because it's "Pure EastWest Coolness" - but for me there wasn't that much in this album to dissapoint me. I just think for some of the slow songs they could have tweaked them a little better.

But overall it's a good album.

The Prayer of Jabez:  Breaking Through to the Blessed Life
The Prayer of Jabez: Breaking Through to the Blessed Life
by Bruce Wilkinson
2565 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars When I read this book... my spirit felt disturbed and sorrowed..., September 24, 2005
"God helps those that help themselves", Is not scriptural at all.

'God opposes the proud and gives grace to the humble'

What about giving to the poor? When does this book ever support that? What about asking the God of us to poor out blessings THROUGH upon others NOT for our OWN success and for HIS will for us ... not what we want...

Jesus said "Not my will, but yours be done"

He DIDN'T say "Lord, hear MY will and BLESS IT"

He said "My yoke is easy my burden is light" - just to note that in this book Wilkinson talks about the "struggles" in ministeries etc. about feeling weighed down and he excuses it as "an attack of the enemy". Yet he explains his day of being all tired; that doesn't match up with "My yoke is easy, my burden is light". If you're doing something that someone has told you it's God's will and you didn't ask him what his will is and you're just fatigued and over-worked and heavy-laiden, then that's not the yoke of Jesus which is light, It's the work of man which is wearyness to the flesh.

This book is quite ambigious, being that sometimes it seems he's telling you to seek the will of God, but sometimes it makes me want to cry.

One qoute that disturbed me is that he took a person from the past and put him into a man full of lust and greed?

He said & I qoute...

Again this book is very ambigious and seems to have a double message; double-mindedness, which is not a good thing...

"If Jabez had worked on Wallstreet, he might have prayed, 'Lord, Increase the value of my investment Portfolios.'"

This is something that stirred my soul into sorrow! There was no message of salvation what-so-ever to receive Christ as savior and how we can be completely changed and become more like Christ. Jesus Christ is a better example on the type of person we should be, because it says so in scripture. There is a lot of messages in there on how to be successful and wealthy etc.

Paul was never payed to preach the gospel, in fact he didn't want to, he said so himself in scripture.

This whole entire book is based on 2 verses, there are 3 verses mentioning the word "Jabez" and one verse is talking about the town "Jabez". The 2 other ones are the ones put in this book, 1 of the verses are sandwhiched in the list of geneologies, and in fact it doesn't say who Jabez's father was.

Here are some qoutes that bothered me

"In the same way that a fatheris honored to have a Child beg for his blessing, your Father is delighted to respond generously when His blessing is what you COVET MOST"

This disturbed me... "COVET MOST" ... so we're coveting other things? Covet is something one should not be indulged in and it is very dangerous. "COVET MOST", most is the key and COVET is a poor choice of word, selfish in fact. I'm not saying that asking God to bless you is bad AT ALL. I'm just saying if you want to ask God to bless you, ask God to bless you with what HE wants to bless you with. "Not my will but yours be done" and just trust GOD will take care of you.

He never said to just pop out into the world just because you're a Christian and that you should just start some ministry of your own.

Scripture says "Many are called, few are chosen", meaning not everyone is just going to jump out there and start a ministry out in Africa somewhere or something. It might ACTUALLY not be God's will to to go just anywhere. What about trusting God and have him tell you? Have him lead you, read scriptures and spend time with him. If you find that "work", then it tells you something's wrong and you need to get right with God and have him show you what's wrong, because you should be enjoying spending time with him and speaking about scriptures with others as you are led to do so (not by your own "intuition", but by God's spirit which he promised he'd poor out on all flesh.)

You don't need to pray that God would send his "presence", it should already be there in your heart; his spirit within you. If you have it then you should be knowing that and feeling that, and pray without ceasing (it doesn't mean have your eyes closed always and bowing your head, you can pray within your heart and talk with God in your mind throughout your entire day.)

Don't base your trust in God based on your doctrine that you believe, let God show you who he really is; and not just accept that what man has to say is how God is.

Page: 1 | 2