Profile for Laura (The Reading Nook > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 229

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Laura (The Reading Nook RSS Feed

Edition: Board book
Price: $7.98
95 used & new from $1.41

4.0 out of 5 stars a fancy childs take on a classic book, June 5, 2012
I've never reviewed a childrens book before so bare with me, but I agreed to review this book and a similar one because the artwork completely drew me in. When im a parent one day I fully intend to pass my love of reading onto my children and hopefully I will succeed in that. This book is beautiful and simple. While its a basic learning your colors book. The pages seem to come to life with the art and details of it. The pictures come to life on the pages and I know that any young child would be stimulated by all the multiple colors and pictures that are within these pages. I loved it!!

Recession Proof
Recession Proof
by Kimberly S Lin
Price: $10.64
23 used & new from $5.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Haven't loved a book this hard in a long time!!!, June 5, 2012
This review is from: Recession Proof (Paperback)
I haven't read a Chick-Lit book i've falled in love with this hard in a long time! I gave myself plenty of time before my tour date to read this because i've been reading slower then normal lately (reading slump, blah...) and wanted to prepare myself. This book is 350 pages and normally (if I wasn't that invested in the story) It could take me 4-5 days to read, well I read this book in all of two sittings. I got so engrossed in the story and the characters that I couldn't put the book down and the hours seemed to fly right by.

This book had everything a good Chick-Lit should have; a strong female character, which is definitely the case with Helen, and a swoon-worthy love interest Nate ( oh swoon, swoon). I loved the relationship between the two of them and the twists and turns they faced and overcame as a couple. I enjoyed the fact that Helen really grew as a person in the novel and you were right there with her every step of the way.

If your looking for Chick-Lit at its finest, you need to check this book out. I'm so glad I was able to be a part of this tour, and for this being Kimberly's debut novel, I'm so excited to see what else she has in her writing arsonal. Her writing style was quirky, real, fun, and believable. I cannot rave about this book enough. It got me out of a pretty bad reading slump and was just what I needed a book to be. (P.S. for all my YA-lovers out there this book is Anna and the French Kiss of the Chick-Lit genre)

Oldsoul
Oldsoul
by Dan Haring
13 used & new from $7.70

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong, Debut Novel, June 5, 2012
This review is from: Oldsoul (Paperback)
Oldsoul was unlike anything else i've read, which made me want to read it as soon as I read the premise for it.
This book had a bit of a slow start for me, but I think it was due to trying to get the basics of the storyline across in a way that was understandable to the reader. I loved the characters in the book, and by far my favorites were Erin and Solon. They both were strong and well-developed characters and I enjoyed the roles they played in the story. The action-packed events made me want to keep reading, and was a fast read for me because I wanted to know what happened to Jason.

The only problem I had with the story was Jason and Melas' relationship. Right from the get-go Mela read like an older character, for some reason I pictured her in her fourties, and Jason is just a teenager. I obviously misinterpreted her character because she's not that old, but I couldn't really feel connected to their relationship because I felt it was under-developed, and just wasn't feeling it at all.

Overall, I really enjoyed OldSoul and liked Dan Haring's writing style. Its a strong debut for sure, and look forward to reading more from him in the future. I'm not sure if this book was intended to be a series or not, but I definitely think he can expand on this story and make something great!

Unbreak My Heart
Unbreak My Heart
Price: $1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 a great beach read!, May 22, 2012
This review is from: Unbreak My Heart (Kindle Edition)
This book was more like a 3.5 for me

Clem's story was heartbreaking. She broke the cardinal rule of being someones' best friend, and fell for her best friends boyfriend, but she wasn't the only one who fell. Ethan fell just as hard for Clem, but when Amanda caught them together, Ethan pushed all the blame on Clem that she was trying to seduce him and had been after him all year, which was far from the truth.

Clem's whole world fell apart and all those people that she once called her friends left her by the wayside. It's a good thing she's getting away for the summer, but the whole summer cooped up on a boat with no internet access, her overbearing parents, and nosey little sister, sounds less then her ideal summer. She's perfectly content staying in her own little cabin on the boat, and letting the days pass her by. This is, until she meets James. James the always happy, ever smiling boy on the boat following in the same path as Clem's family.

When James discloses some personal information about his life, Clem feels like she can finally open up to someone as well, and maybe they will be able to break down the walls they both have up with the help of the other. I did enjoy this book, but for some reason for the first 90% of the book Clem drove me nuts. She seemed like such a self-loathing brat. I understand she had been through a lot but the way she took things out on her family when they were all she had left rubbed me the wrong way. I felt like as a character she grew though and by the end of the story she annoyed me a lot less.

This book was a great contemporary read, and was definitely a great beach read. I read it in a day and was a very light-hearted story that's great for a vacation or a day at the beach, or even just a rainy day stuck inside.

Becoming A Butterfly (The Butterfly Chronicles Book 1)
Becoming A Butterfly (The Butterfly Chronicles Book 1)
Price: $1.49

4.0 out of 5 stars fast-paced and enthralling..., May 22, 2012
Right from the beginning pages of this book I was completely hooked. I was extremely invested in the character, and because there were so many unexpected twists and turns, I simply COULDN'T put this book down. I read the story in only a couple sittings and my only complaint is that I wasn't aware it was a series when I started the book and because of that I expected closure and didn't get any. It left me wanting more and dying to know what happened with Lacey and her situation amoungst Chase and Henry, and her best friends.

Now onto the characters, I adored Lacey I felt for her every step of the way because not fitting in and being bullied is one of the hardest things you have to deal with as a young girl/boy growing up, and both her and her younger sister Lana dealt with a tremendous amount of bullying. I loved Chase he was completely sexy and I loved his bad boy persona that covered his caring, heart of gold on the inside. I even had a pretty soft spot for Henry and couldn't even decide throughout the book who I wanted Lacey to end up with in the end, simply because I was as confused as she was.

This book is completely fast-paced, and enthralling and I cannot wait for the second book. If your a fan of YA contemporary you need to get your hands on a copy of this book, even though its self-published it's one of the best written young adult contemporaries I have ever read, (and I've read quite a few).

Mia Castle left me wanting more, and I can't wait to see where this story goes. Her writing was captivating in a way that most people that have ever felt inadequate or that they don't quite fit in can relate too. Bravo Mia Castile, and I can't wait to see where you take this story!!

The Humming Room
The Humming Room
by Ellen Potter
Price: $12.84
96 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars magical middle grade story, May 7, 2012
This review is from: The Humming Room (Hardcover)
Ellen Potter recreated the same magic that The Secret Garden had, although I don't believe I ever read The Secret Garden I was a huge fan of the movie growing up and watched it over and over and over again.

I really enjoyed Roo she was such a cute, fun, and adventurous character that really made the story come to life on the pages. I loved the world that Potter created with her descriptive writing and I felt like the story really came alive on the pages, you were able to visualize the story as opposed to just reading the words off the pages.

I felt like something was missing from the story for me though, and unfortantually I'm not sure exactally what it was, maybe I wanted more from the garden aspect of the story, and felt like the focus was more on the house then the magic of the garden, then I had originally had expected.

This book was a really cute and fun read and I guess I just expected it to be a bit deeper then it was, but then again it was meant as a middle-grade story and I think for that age group it was intended for it was well written and well executed.

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars
by John Green
Price: $11.22
590 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomanally Crafted YA Perfection, May 7, 2012
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars (Hardcover)
Up until reading this book I never understood the hype behind John Green. The only other book of his that I had read was Paper Towns, which wasn't bad I just didn't jump up and down about it like other people. I just wrote it off as an over-hyped book that just didn't do as much for me. I honestly wasn't even going to run out and pick up this book right away, although ALL my blogger friends were pre-ordering it and all pre-orders were signed which lead me to purchase the book soon after its release date. I decided because everyone was reading it, that i'd read it right away, and this book honestly made me understand the hype behind John Green. It took me a few months to wrap my mind around writing this review simply because I knew I wouldn't be able to formulate words that would do this book any sort of justice.

The relationship between Gus and Hazel was phenomenally crafted. They were witty and snarky and had a great outlook on life although both of them were terminally ill. This book can't even recieve enough justice from a review. So i'm going to keep this short and just tell you that you need to go out and pick up this book if you haven't yet. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll be able to relate if you've ever lost anyone important in your life that was taken away way too soon.

Hats off to you John Green!

When You Were Mine
When You Were Mine
by Rebecca Serle
Price: $13.59
89 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Phenomenal Romeo and Juliet Retelling, May 7, 2012
This review is from: When You Were Mine (Hardcover)
I've always been a huge fan of Shakespeare ever since taking honors Shakespeare in high school, so as soon as I heard this was loosely based on Romeo and Juliet I knew I needed to read it. I'm so happy I had the oppurtunity to read and review this book, because it was phenomenal. I absolutely loved it and ended up reading this in pretty much one sitting, because I simply needed to know what was going to happen (although you kinda knew where the story was going to lead).

Although you could guess which way the story was going to end, it still ended up being a shock to my system and brought tears to my eyes. I felt so horrible for Rosealine and felt her pain. I wanted to punch Rob simply because of his stupidity for leaving Rose for Juliet. I felt like Juliet was so coniving in this story, and the fact that Rob couldn't see right through that fustrated me to no end. I wanted to love Rob because he seemed like a good guy that got blindsided by a "bad" girl, but I had a love/hate relationship with him; I hated that I wanted to love him.

Rebecca Serle hit the nail on the head with this Romeo and Juliet re-telling. I adored this book from start to finish. Although it could have felt extrememly predictable because of the fact that its a re-telling it didn't to me at all, and still left me guessing a bit which was the story was going to go, which is a sign of a great re-telling in my opinion. This so far for me has been my favorite contemporary i've read so far this year! If you haven't picked this one up yet, and you're a fan of YA contemporarys or Shakespeare re-tellings don't pass this one up!

Pieces of Us
Pieces of Us
by Margie Gelbwasser
Price: $8.93
56 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars gritty, raw, and real, not for the faint of heart, May 1, 2012
This review is from: Pieces of Us (Paperback)
I put off reviewing this book for so long because I needed some time to process it. This book is definitely not for teens under 17 its very sexual and the language is for a mature audience. It's definitely a dark, super gritty and intense novel about four teenagers dealing with different types of abuse.

I found this story completley confusing and not because there were four main characters but because each main character had a second name (or alternate persona) and It made me confused and got fustrating at times to try to remember who was who. Maybe it was just me that it bothered though because none of the other reviews that i've read had mentioned that as a downfall.

I honestly felt like I couldn't relate to any of the main characters but I did feel for the characters esp. the girls but Alex was awful and I despised his character so I felt no emotional connection to him because he was such scum.

This is a really raw and gritty novel, but I do think its a very important piece of literature in the respect that I think issues of abuse are more promiment amoungst teens them many people would care to own up too. I think this book is eye-opening but at the same time because of the very sexual nature of this book I feel its important to only be read by older teens or those that are mature and can handle such mature content.

Fever (Chemical Garden)
Fever (Chemical Garden)
by Lauren DeStefano
Price: $13.78
82 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A Trippy Sequel, May 1, 2012
Wither by Lauren Destefano was a great book, but It wasn't my favorite. I had a hard time wrapping my head around the ideas of poligmy with the young age of the main characters, not that I was grossed out by it, just hard to be able to relate too. Fever on the other hand still had some risque ideals and situations but I enjoyed the story so much more. Rhine and Gabriel are at a carnival (and I say that very loosely) because its more of a whore house disguised as a carnival.

Everyone in this carnival type atmosphere is or seems to be drugged and that made the feel of this book very trippy, which was interesting to say the least. The start of the book for me seemed a big slow and I had to adjust to this new world they were thrown into especially because it was so different from the setting/world they were in in the first book.

I felt this book was a lot more fast-paced then the first and for that I loved the book, and of course the book ends on a nasty cliffhanger and I can't wait to see what world and scenerio the third book brings Rhine and Gabirel and if they ever find the infamous Rowan. Lauren Destefano has a writing style like no other young adult author I have ever read, and I honestly can't think of adult author that has a similar style either. She is very descriptive but in a way that isn't overkill, usually I hate overly descriptive writing styles, but Lauren does it in a way that is captivating instead of mundanel. If you havent picked up and read The Chemical Garden series what are you waiting for????

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-23