Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Profile for CACNYC > Reviews

Browse

CACNYC's Profile

Customer Reviews: 27

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

CACNYC "CACNYC" RSS Feed (NY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Buck Knives 7800 Mini SpitFire Knife, Grey
Buck Knives 7800 Mini SpitFire Knife, Grey
Price: $26.75
45 used & new from $23.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Mini in name only, December 14, 2015
This knife sports a beautifully sharpened blade that retains its edge surprisingly well. I was able to easily slice through a sheet of printer paper by gently swiping right across it while applying negligible pressure. The handle looks very small, but fits nicely in your hand. If you have very large hands, size may be an issue. However, small to normal sized hands should find this knife quite comfortable to hold. Unlike many of these smaller pocket knives the Mini SpitFire opens easily with a flick of your thumb. In short, this knife knocks it out of the park on looks, solid build and superior edge quality.

Lamy AL-Star Rollerball Point Pen Black
Lamy AL-Star Rollerball Point Pen Black
Offered by Junipers'
Price: $28.21
12 used & new from $25.93

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite everyday pen, December 14, 2015
Great pen. That says it all. Nicely, balanced and light, with an ink flow that feels as smooth as a high quality fountain pen. My only complaints concern cosmetics. The paint coating on the metal parts is delicate. It can be nicked and scraped if you are careless. Also the front part of the pen is plastic. It seems to be a decent plastic, but in contrast to the aluminum body, it cheapens the overall look of the pen. Aside from that, I must confess I find myself using this pen as often as possible.

Columbia River Knife and Tool 2490KS Squid Black Stonewash Plain Edge Pocket Knife
Price: $19.83
39 used & new from $18.03

3.0 out of 5 stars Tough little knife with a couple of issues., December 10, 2015
While I can't disagree with other people that say this little knife is rock solid and has a very nice look and feel about it, I do have a few minor quibbles with it. The first thing that struck me was the placement of the thumb stud. I feel that by placing the stud so close to the base of the blade it makes it harder to open. You need to place your thumb just so in order to get the blade to flip open. On the other hand when you do find that sweet spot for the tip of your thumb on the stud, the blade flips out cleanly and rewards you with a wonderfully loud, solid, metallic click that announces this little knife is ready for business. However, sadly, this happens only when you hold the knife just so and after a lot of tedious practice.

On the matter of sharpness, I believe this is a quality control issue. Some people have recieved this knife super sharp and others, dull as a practice blade. Unfortunately, mine came out of the box fairly dull, unable to barely leave a dent in paper. I sharpened it and it now sports a useable edge, but due to my own mediocre sharpening skills, it's still not the type of edge that I prefer. That being said, I will eventually get the right edge on it and I'm sure the sharpness will become a non-issue.

My last issue is with the clip. At first I thought, "Cool looking clip!" Then I tried to slip it onto my pocket edge and I just could not get it on there. I tried several other pockets, even my belt, but nothing doing. The clip just didn't have ANY give. It is made of some super tough steel with no springiness to it at all. I tried to bend it out with my finger tip and it wouldn't budge. Finally, I took a needle nose plier to it and it bent out a little, but it had no spring to it. I decided the heck with it and just removed the clip. The knife looks even nicer now without the clip and frankly, I prefer to have it sit at the very bottom of my pocket, away from prying eyes. Though, it would have been nice to have the choice. I did't notice off hand anyone else complain about the clip, so I am going to assume that this is some sort of defect or workmanship issue with my knife in particular.

All this being said, I still really like this knife. It has a lot of flair and it is very solid. There is no wiggle or give to the blade once deployed and the handle can probably take a fair amount of abuse. The blade itself is very robust for a knife this small. In an emergency this knife could be a life saver. Some have complained about the size, but I think they have overlooked the actual beefiness of this tiny blade. If you get it sharp enough, it will see you through most needs.

Delta Faucet 16953-DST Single Handle Pull-Out Kitchen Faucet, Chrome
Delta Faucet 16953-DST Single Handle Pull-Out Kitchen Faucet, Chrome

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap plastic. Avoid wasting time and money on this faucet., November 11, 2015
I purchased this faucet only because my solid metal, American Standard failed after over 19 years of good service. I needed a replacement fast and cheap and this was the only one I could find the same day, nearby, in my price range. My wife insisted that she wanted something somewhat attractive. This was the compromise, cheap and somewhat attractive. Unfortunately, the body and spout are made of metalized plastic. It is very flimsy and light weight. If you tap it with your fingernail it sounds like brittle plastic. Pivoting the faucet from side to side reveals just how light weight and cheap feeling the faucet is. I honestly do not expect more than a month's service out of this faucet. All of the critical points are made of cheap, flimsy feeling materials. I noticed that in serval places on the Internet, Delta reps say that the body of this model faucet is metal. I do not believe this to be accurate, based on the fact that the body of my faucet is plastic. I will be looking for a quality, all metal faucet within the next month or so... I cannot believe that this flimsy plastic junk is what passes for plumbing fixtures these days. Shame on you Delta.

Parker Sonnet Rollerball Pen, Matte Black Lacquer with Chrome Trim (S0818110)
Parker Sonnet Rollerball Pen, Matte Black Lacquer with Chrome Trim (S0818110)
Price: $83.61
9 used & new from $76.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect weight, girth and length, October 29, 2015
I honestly did not expect a lot from this pen, but I was pleasantly surprised. Perfect weight, girth and length. The ink flow is beautiful. It just feels right in your hand. Even though it has a little bit of weight, I find that I am able to write with it for extended periods without any strain. I also find myself simply holding on to it because it feels so nice. The photos do not do it justice. I truly love this pen. I own about 14 other high-end pens ranging from around $150.00 to around $300.00 each and none of them offer me the writing pleasure that I feel with this Parker Sonnet. Weird, but true.

Techlite Lumen Master 250-Lumens High-Intensity CREE XPG-R4 LED Tactical Flashlight (3-Pack)
Offered by A4893888
Price: $28.90
3 used & new from $18.57

3.0 out of 5 stars Falls way short on the Lumen output, October 29, 2015
These are nice bright lights, but no way are they 250 Lumens. I own 3 of the 200 Lumen Techlites and they all put out a far,far brighter beam of light than the 250 Lumen model. I will keep them because, honestly anything over 100 Lumens will suit my needs for now. However, if you want or need a flashlight that puts out at least 250 Lumens, then this is not the flashlight for you. On the plus side, they are solidly built, they have a nice even light spill, the size/weight/shape is very nice and very pocketable, especially in a coat or jacket pocket. All around they are very good flashlights, just not 250 Lumens worth of flashlight.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad fit, March 15, 2015
Poor fit. It is not properly measured to fit the MacBook Air 11. The corners of the case do not match up or sit properly on the corners of the notebook. The included silicone keyboard cover is a nice touch, but it prevents the MacBook from closing properly.

Update:
I have added photos highlighting the cracks on the cover edge, the poor corner fit and how the side of the case covers both Mic holes entirely.
After a week or so tiny hairline cracks are developing. This case turned out to be a very bad investment regardless of the low price.

Update 2:
The corner finally just broke off. See photo.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Before My Eyes
Before My Eyes
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $7.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, August 12, 2014
This review is from: Before My Eyes (Kindle Edition)
Caroline Bock brings her unique style to story telling, once again. And once again, she creates a winner. In her previous book, Lie, she took bold steps in the way she used point of view narration. She explored a world and the lives of her characters that left the reader quite content to have taken the journey with Ms. Bock. In her latest novel, Before My Eyes, she continues to take bold steps into innovative story telling. Using the individual point of view narrative she is known for, she draws the reader into a story that touches on almost every young adult angst in our times, using the compelling and superbly crafted POV style, which she has made her hallmark.

Through the eyes of the main characters, Claire, Max and Barkley, we are given a peek into the obstacles that are keeping these three from achieving their desires. Claire has been thrown into a no win situation with her mother in the hospital recovering from a stroke and having no money at hand to meet the rising costs of her mother’s treatments. Her father spends his days at the hospital tending to Claire’s mother, while she is saddled with her six year sister. Max wants to have a “normal” life with his well off friends during the summer, but he’s stuck working at a fast food place for the summer, with Barkley, a schizophrenic who has issues within issues and spends a lot of time sending letter and emails about environmental concerns, when he’s not playing violent video games. It doesn’t help that Barkley is also very violent. I could go on, but in all honesty it would only lessen the experience for the reader.

While this story is a serious look into serious topics, it still manages to have that amusement park thrill ride feel. The best thing to do is to hang on and experience the ride to its fullest. Ms. Bock knows how to craft a story that keeps you reading and fully involved till the very end. One caveat to readers that expect a straight linear story, this is not what this author is known for. She writes more or less how life happens, making her story telling much more interesting. While this story topic may not be for everyone, those that choose to read it will definitely have no regrets.

MediaDevil Simdevil 3-in-1 SIM Card Adapter Kit (Nano / Micro / Standard)
MediaDevil Simdevil 3-in-1 SIM Card Adapter Kit (Nano / Micro / Standard)
Offered by MediaDevil
Price: $11.97
2 used & new from $6.97

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, May 16, 2014
I ended up cutting up an old, large sim card with an exacto knife to create a holder instead. The MediaDevil holder would not fit any of my available nano SIMs. I tried to trim the holder to make room for the cards but the plastic was too delicate to trim so it broke apart. Why didn't I trim my SIM cards instead? Because they fit perfectly in their original phone holders. So why wreck my perfectly fine cards to make them fit a piece of ill made junk? I know I won't be buying any MediaDevil products in the future if this is a sample of what they have to offer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2014 10:17 AM PDT

Schrade SCHF9 Extreme Survival Knife with Fixed 1095 High Carbon Steel Blade and Black Kraton Handle and Sheath
Price: $38.85
75 used & new from $34.55

3.0 out of 5 stars Beefy well balanced knife ..., May 1, 2014
I own both the Becker BK2 and BK7 knives and they both serve me very, very well. However, I had been looking for a knife that has the weight and thickness of the Becker BK2 with some of the length of the BK7. The Schrade SCHF9 fits this need very nicely. While the Schrade is made in Taiwan, the blade itself seems to be reasonably well made. I must add, that this knife came very nicely sharpened. I was able to easily and cleanly slice through paper right out of the box. There are a few flaws that keep this knife from getting five stars. The most obvious flaws deal with the handles. The edges of the handle do not come flush with the tang of the knife and when you look closely along the top of the sides of the handles you can see small dimples from the molding process. If you use gloves, which I do, the handle defects will not be a problem. However, it would be nice if the handles were defect-free. Another defect is found in the blade itself. If you run your finger along the top of the spine of the knife you can feel dips and nooks that should have been ground out in the finishing process. Under normal outback use this shouldn't become an issue and can probably be dismissed as a cosmetic flaw. If you intend to do some extreme batoning or some other rough activity with this knife, like prying stuff, you may want to reconsider, assuming you find the same flaws along the top of your blade. The length of the handle is generous and even though the handle shape is not as good as my Becker knives, the length of the handle gives an added bit of control that is greatly welcome. In fact, I wish my Becker knives had handles this long.

On the plus side:
The odd curving of the blade edge at first seems decorative, but the genius of the shape becomes self-evident within a few strokes of cutting through branches. The shape of the blade turns your SCHF 9 into a small and very effective hatchet or machete.

While I had a few complaints about the handles, there is no denying that the grip is excellent, the length of the handles is great and the finger notches are well placed and unlike some other knives in the price range, useful.

While this is a large knife, it is large in a practical and thought out manner. For me it is the perfect knife to fill the gap between my two Beckers.

The sheath is well made and has an added pocket that can be used for a small sharpening stone or perhaps a multi-tool...

In short, for this price range, it is a decent knife with some exceptional features.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3