Profile for P. McWhorter > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 123

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

P. McWhorter RSS Feed (Christoval, Texas)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Yixing Tea Set with Black and White Set 30pcs Large Set with Large Bamboo Tea Tray
Offered by Musiccitytea
Price: $238.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an Excellent Tea Set, September 19, 2014
This is an excellent tea set. It has everything you need to a traditional Gong Fu tea ceremony. The set is packed well and arrived with no damaged or missing pieces. All the parts are of exceptional quality.

I am really happy with the workmanship and completeness of the set. My only regret is that I wish it had a drainage tray under the serving tray. The serving tray does have a drainage hose, but I prefer the sets that have drainage tray under the serving tray. This is a minor quibble and I am extremely happy with this tea set.

T-fal PF311 ActiBread 15 Programs Gluten Free Bread Machine Stainless Steel Housing Nonstick Coating Automatic Bread Maker with LCD Display, 700-watt, Silver
Offered by Home & Cook USA
Price: $149.90
2 used & new from $149.52

2.0 out of 5 stars Gluten Free . . . How?, September 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have several fine bread machines that I have had for years, but my interest in this machine was that it was touted as a "Gluten Free" bread machine. Given this is the headline for the product, my expectation was that upon opening it, I would have what I needed, or know what I needed to make gluten free bread.

The issue is, the machine does not include any recipes on how to make gluten free bread from scratch, does not include any gluten free pre-mix packets, and does not even give specifics on what gluten free premixes to use. My instructions just said to find some gluten free premixes, which are readily available???? So, my issue is, which premixes should we use? Which brands, available where?

So, I am left to do the research, and the experimentation on what premixes to buy, where to buy them, and which ones work best with this machine.

So my bad rating is not saying the machine is not a competent bread machine, my gripe is that I dont feel the package gives me the materials or expertise I need to make gluten free bread.

So, my bottom line question is this . . . how is this a "Gluten Free" breadmaker any more than any other breadmaker?

ASAP Silver Solution Applicator Kit
ASAP Silver Solution Applicator Kit
Offered by epoch_enterprises
Price: $12.50
3 used & new from $7.80

2.0 out of 5 stars Plastic, Not Glass, September 16, 2014
These bottle are made of plastic. Looking at them in the picture, I had assumed they were glass. Given that these are plastic, and fairly flimsy plastic, these bottles are WAY overpriced. The spray tops work well, but at this price, I want glass bottles.

32-oz Amber Growler (Boston Round) with Phenolic Lid - perfect for Kombucha!
32-oz Amber Growler (Boston Round) with Phenolic Lid - perfect for Kombucha!
Offered by Sally's Organics
Price: $8.89
10 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I needed, September 16, 2014
This is a great solid glass bottle. The lid is well designed and seals well to the bottle. This bottle is excellent for light sensitive liquids like Colloidal Silver or Hydrogen Peroxide. I am pleased with the bottle and intend to order more.

T4T: A Discipleship Re-Revolution: The Story Behind the World's Fastest Growing Church Planting Movement and How it Can Happen in Your Community!
by Steve Smith
Price: $15.55
24 used & new from $9.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, September 16, 2014
This is a great book on discipleship. I am aware of organizations using this book in East Africa with great success. There appears to be incredible fruit coming from the simple, Biblical principals of church planting and growth established in this book. Here in US I think many churches would be well served to get back to the Biblically based tools described in this book.

Great River Organic Milling Organic Whole Grains Corn, 25-pounds (Pack of1)
Great River Organic Milling Organic Whole Grains Corn, 25-pounds (Pack of1)
Price: $37.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean Kernals, September 16, 2014
I was pleased to find this large bag of organic corn, which they claim is non-GMO. What is really good is to make home made cornbread from fresh ground corn. We have a grain mill and grind the corn just before cooking. It makes the best cornbread, and with organic/non-gmo it is super healthy.

Some folks have reviewed this product and complained that the corn had lots of trash in it. My bag was super clean, so perhaps whatever problems they had in production have been fixed.

I clan on now using some of this to make hominy.

Amber Glass Nasal and Oral Sprayer for Colloidal Silver and Saline Applications, 30ml (1oz) 2-pack
Offered by Sinox Health
Price: $8.95
2 used & new from $8.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Glass Bottles, September 16, 2014
These are great little bottles if you are interested in mixing your own nose sprays. I like these glass ones better than the cheaper plastic bottles. The spray heads work well, and put out a very fine mist. I have been impressed with them, and feel like I got a good deal.

The Silver Lining Colloidal Silver Generator with Magnetic Stirrer - 32oz Flask
The Silver Lining Colloidal Silver Generator with Magnetic Stirrer - 32oz Flask
Offered by angelsbythesea
Price: $239.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Poor Build Quality, No Customer Service, Did not work, September 16, 2014
I was interested in experimenting with the antimicrobial properties people claim colloidal silver has. I wanted to thoroughly investigate, so I ordered this unit, which appeared to be one of the more expensive, feature rich units available.

When I got the unit, I was struck by the poor quality of the components. The wires and Banana Jacks were among the lowest quality I had ever run across. I thought, no big deal, I can replace with better wires from my tool kit, and continued to set the unit up to make my first batch of colloidal silver. When I set it up, plugged it in and turned it on . . . nothing happened. The little stir rod in the bottom would not turn as it was supposed to. I emailed the supplier and let them know that I had gotten a defective unit, and asked if I could replace just the unit base, as that would be easier than trying to return the entire unit with the fragile glass beaker. Unfortunately the supplier did not have the courtesy of even answering my email. So, I have a very expensive nonworking unit and absolutely no customer support.

So, I still wanted to experiment with Colloidal silver and thought, how complicated could the unit be . . . I decided to crack it open and see if I could fix it myself. When I opened it up I was shocked by what I saw. Peeking inside, it looked like the unit had been put together by an 8th grader. The little motor that is supposed to make the stirring rod spin around has to be magnetically coupled to the stirring rod, so precise positioning of the motor is required. By opening the unit I saw that the motor appeared to have been manually attached to the board by a very sloppy hand hot glue gun job. The position was maintained by a hand cut piece of PVC pipe, which was improperly cut at an angle. Looking at it, I would be shocked if any of these units work, or in any case, work very long. To try and get the precise position required using hand cut PVC pipe and a hot glue gun is beyond ridiculous.

Once I saw how it was supposed to work, I was able to rebuild it, and get the unit to work.

Bottom line is that this unit is poorly conceived, poorly built, and there is no customer service. It is insanely overpriced. The base unit appears to have about $20 worth of components, and I can not see how this thing could possibly be sold for more than $100, even if it worked.

In the end, I got it to work, and I am doing my Colloidal Silver research with it. However, I definitely feel like this unit is a rip off.

UPDATE 9/18/2014:

I was contacted by the seller offering to replace the unit. I declined the replacement, given the design is faulty. I re engineered my unit to get it to work.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2014 8:26 PM PDT

AquaBuckets 5 Gallon 6 Site DWC Hydroponic System with Mixing Cell and 200 Mesh Filter
Offered by Hydro West
Price: $299.95

3.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting System with Lots of Promise, September 15, 2014
I have a research greenhouse and am always interested in investigating new hydroponic techniques. I was interested in trying DWC (Deep Water Hydroponics), and so was pleased to see this AquaBuckets system offered, as it is a turnkey system that has everything you need to try DWC and is fairly easy to put together.

The concept behind DWC is that you grow things hydroponically with the roots completely submerged in the nutrient solution. Normally, this is a problem, as the roots need oxygen. In DWC, the nutrient solution is heavily aerated so the roots get the needed oxygen, and do not rot. The reason this is interesting is that you really do not need any growing media except a small amount of hydroton, which can be reused. Dutch bucket systems, in contrast, require perlite, which needs to be replaced with each planting. The perlite turns out to be very expensive for most people due to shipping costs. Hence, DWC is very attractive as it potentially offers a means of hydroponics where the cost of the growing media is eliminated.

When I unboxed this AquaBuckets system I was impressed. It was packaged well, and all the parts arrived safely. This system has a myriad of parts, and I was delighted to see that the box included all the needed and promised components. I was also impressed with the quality of the components in the system. Quality pumps, buckets and connectors were included. I was also pleased to see that all the holes had been properly drilled, and the grommets were already inserted. In effect, they did all the assembly for you that they could, and still be able to ship the system. Assembly on my end pretty much just entailed connecting the hoses.

I will say that the instructions left something to be desired. It was one sheet of paper with small pictures, and no written instructions on how to put the system together. It would have been nice to have more details on how the system goes together, as well as more details on DWC hyydroponics in general. Perhaps a Youtube video of assembling and using the system would be the thing the manufacturer should do. I was able to get things figured out, and was able to get the system put together in about an hour. I will say that when you assemble the system make sure to really tighten the two larger pipe fittings to the nutrient bucket. They really have to be tight for the system to not leak, and it is hard to go back in and tighten them after the fact.

I was impressed with the quality of the water pump and the air pump included in the system. The air pump in quiet, and appears to be heavy duty, so I am hoping for a long lifetime from it.

OK, so I give the manufacturer high marks for using quality parts, including all the parts without mistake, and the relative ease of putting the system together. The issue that I have with this system is that I can not understand why the system is all black. The key and challenge to successful DWC is maintaining aeration/oxygenation of the nutrient solution. The solubility of oxygen in water drops as the temperature increases. Hence, papers on DWC hydroponics emphasize the importance of keeping the nutrients cool . . . ideally around 70 degrees F. The problem is that when you put this system in a greenhouse, even on a cool day, the sun will quickly drive the temperature of the nutrients in the black buckets to over 90 degrees. Hence, I can not understand why the color black was chosen, as it makes it pretty much impossible to keep the nutrients at the required temperature in a greenhouse setting. In effect, what they have created is a solar hot water heater.

So, at this point I have the system set up and running. I will be testing it with Broccoli, Snow Peas, Squash and several other plants. I will report back as the plants begin to grow. At this point my 3 star rating is because I am greatly concerned about the nutrient temperatures I was reading when I set the system up. I am concerned that this will be to high to get acceptable crop results. I will update this review as I get more information, but for now I can not give better than a 3 star rating.

Sambucol Cold and Flu Relief Tablets, Black Elderberry, 30 Count
Sambucol Cold and Flu Relief Tablets, Black Elderberry, 30 Count
Offered by Nutrition Depot
Price: $10.33
20 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great for Flu and Colds., September 9, 2014
This product is an excellent antiviral. I use it to lesson duration or to prevent colds and flu. It has been shown in studies to be effective for this, and I have found that it works. I have found that the key to success is to start taking the product at the onset of symptoms. I have used it for years and really think it works.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20