Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for J. Bridell > Reviews

Browse

J. Bridell's Profile

Customer Reviews: 26

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Bridell "Lost Johnny" RSS Feed (New Hope, MN United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3

5.0 out of 5 stars A world that is gone forever.....I think, September 9, 2006
I was born the same year as Jodie Foster. I remember seeing her in various commercials, TV shows and movies as I was growing up. She was the unofficial poster child for single parent families and independent, if somewhat dysfunctional children. This film was made just as the 70's were ending and the 80's were starting. I remember these days, the Carnival, what it was like. One could learn a lot on the midway. That when things look too good to be true they were, like the shiny switchblade knife that one could win, "aren't they illegal" I asked, "illegal is a sick bird". I will never know if the knife worked, one could not win it, it was fixed. Freak shows and hoochy coochy dancers, people trying to make a living, or people being exploited? Who could say? Those who knew best decided to clean up the midway, but can anyone tell me if there is less exploitation, cheating, and dirty dealing without the midway? I lost some money but I got an education that saved me more money in the long run, that's gone now and the world is worse for it. By far and away the star of the show is the 17-year young Jodie Foster, the little girl who was in the Disney films had come of age, oh how she came of age! Her dancehall outfit is a classic that will never be repeated, as was the girl/women inside it just like the rest of us, she was growing up. The film is well paced, perfectly cast (they simply took a real carnival and shot there), and all too believable, you don't need to make up characters like Donna, Bozo, Gary Busey in his best role ever and Robbie Robinson as the low level manager who collects money and keeps "rubes" in line with his trusty straight razor, there was a kind of justice there that one does not see anywhere else, another world where different rules apply. A place for the disenfranchised, the ugly and the beautiful, in one unforgettable scene, the "fat Lady" stands alone in the rain, relishing her chance to take an all over shower. Such simple images say so much. Like all classics, it becomes more poignant with age. Of all of Busy's and Fosters films, none were better or more telling then this, and of all the Characters Jodie Foster has played before or since, none is more important, none is better. It's a shame that other of Ms. Fosters films that don't come close to this, Svengali, Blood of Others, etc have been made into DVD, but this gem sits and waits, perhaps it is an irony that the prize we see behind the counter is the one we cannot win.

Match Point
Match Point
DVD ~ Scarlett Johansson
Price: $5.99
273 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Not another Woody Allen movie., May 28, 2006
This review is from: Match Point (DVD)
There can be no doubt that Woody Allen is a talented filmmaker, but there can also be no doubt that his last few films have been tragic missteps (although I liked "Anything Else"). Mr. Allen is back in true form with this off the wall British potboiler about wealth, privilege and how a man can become a monster. Yes a monster, like Hannibal Lechter (spelling)? We see the devil is a gentleman; at least he starts out that way. A man becomes evil when he A. Gives in to temptation even at risk to his and other peoples well being. B. When he continues this risky/dangerous behavior after he knows he should not, a habit can become an addiction and the monster cares not. C. He chooses to do great evil rather then face his own demons, great evil being to do irreparable harm to people who have done nothing to him and do not, by any means, deserve there fate. The monster may even feel bad about it, but he is a monster first and he feels he was forced to do it. This sounds weird but that's how I see Match Point. The main character is a decent if flawed person who has incredible luck, he is more then lucky and turns his good fortune into better fortune, he sees temptation and gives in like a drug addict or problem gambler, he refuses to deal with his behavior even when he sees it will be his undoing, when all seems lost he has a choice and his choice is a monstrous one. There is a macabre fascination with watching this film a second or third time, we can see the tragic tale unfolding, the scratchy opera soundtrack lets us know that tragedy is coming (and I don't know an opera from a pop tart). But this is not a tragedy like an earthquake or fire; this is the tragedy of an opera where people do great evil to each other. The film is so predictable in the first and second act's that when it takes a hard left in the third act we are truly shocked and the ending (I will not give away the ending as it would ruin the film) is as cynical and monstrous as the events themselves. This is a quiet, well-made shocker, which I can watch, over and over again and see new things. With the sleazy slasher films making a comeback (Hostel, Wolf Creek etc) it is good to see that not all evildoers wear hockey masks or use chainsaws.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why?...., December 2, 2005
I am not a liberal, at least I don't think I am, but on some issues I am forced, reluctantly to side with the Christian right, like Hollywood. It's not that I object to sex and violence, not at all, it's that I think that Hollywood has lost touch, in fact after viewing Aeon Flux I am doubtful they ever had a clue, who was this film aimed at? Why was a considerable amount of money spent on this incredibly ill-conceived hodgepodge of boring action sequences, absurd psychobabble and endless camera pans leading nowhere, I scarcely know where to begin, what a lame, disappointing mess. If you saw the previews you have no reason to waste 80+ minutes of your life watching Charlese Theron embarrass herself with stupid green screen stunts, example: in the future, 2425 or something, our hero and some other girl whose hands have been transplanted to her feet (don't ask) decide to "sneak" into future city by running across a field and jumping over the wall, sounds clever, but the city planners decide to defend against such attacks by having some weird pineapple looking things shoot darts at them, note to would be city invaders, learn gymnastics, they help a lot in cases of massive pineapple dart attacks. You see when said darts start flying, one just needs to do a lot of handsprings and crawl along real fast, then, somehow, you won't be hit. Oh yeah and one should be sure to climb in the tree and point the shooting darts fruit at the other shooting dart fruit thereby getting the pineapples to shoot each other, just don't step on the grass that shoots up knife blades. This is a boring retread of every "break into the bad guys secret hiding place" ever shot. This was a cult animated show that went off the air years ago for a reason, honest to God they should have had Charlese Theron playing Daria , I would have liked that a lot better. As I entered the theater I saw a huge pile of posters sitting on the counter, I guess the theater personnel were hoping people would take them, they were free. Really nice, high quality posters, the big ones, rich color, Charlene the hottie in her little Aeon Flux outfit. I considered taking one on the way out....then I put it back. I did not want to be the only one who took one, I have no doubt they are all still there, they should have left the film sitting out, but I doubt anyone would want that either.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
DVD ~ Peter Frampton
Price: $9.99
55 used & new from $5.46

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh the Humanity........, November 11, 2005
Now see here. I appreciate sarcasm and I respect other peoples opinions, I freely admit to liking crappy films other people hate, but no one, under any circumstances for any reason should ever recommend this film, not to anyone for any reason, this is so bad it's bad. Rarely does a film deserve it's good or bad hype but this does. yes it is as bad as everyone says. There is not plot so I can't give it away, what was done here, is that every band from every stripe, Hard Rock (Aerosmith/Alice Cooper) R and B (Earth Wind and Fire) Old People (George Burns) and the biggest selling groups of the day (by the time the film came out Frampton's sales were sucking canal water) The Bee Gees and Peter Frampton were shanghaied into putting together the single greatest musical stink bomb ever. I record I hope will stand for all eternity, words fail me as I remember the way the Bee Gees win a fist fight with Aerosmith, they punch out Alice Cooper too (Alice was in rehab at the time so he is forgiven, I think Aerosmith were into the heroin, if not they should have been) the story was a meandering mishmash of songs done badly for no reason other then the band singing them was getting paid, oh the years that were spent on this monstrosity, the lives it touched, oh God will you ever forgive us, probably not. In one of the many, many mind boggling scenes of indescribable musical mayhem, Frampton is reduced to singing to a dead girl "Carry that weight" Frampton is a guitarist, not a singer, sure he sang but that was not his forte. Some of the best pop music ever written sung by genuinely talented people who surely must have known better each number was worse then the last, until it became a battle over what was worse, the horrible contrived "story" or the unfathomable renditions of Beatles songs. This film and the subsequent soundtrack will stick in the national conciseness like a splintered chicken bone in a dogs throught. I am compelled to address the individuals who have taken in upon themselves to defend and recommend this for reasons other then sarcasm or sick humor, shame on you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2009 11:23 PM PDT

Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control
Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control
Price: $17.95
28 used & new from $14.25

5.0 out of 5 stars works fine, very cheap, October 25, 2005
I just bought my Nikon D50 snf this remote works great, and it is very cheap.

Elephant (HBO)
Elephant (HBO)
DVD ~ Alex Frost
Price: $5.98
78 used & new from $0.04

5.0 out of 5 stars I agree, I disagree, October 15, 2005
This review is from: Elephant (HBO) (DVD)
I read the negative reviews and agree. The director does not tell us why this happens or show us some insight into the characters, he doesn't need to and he shouldn't. Would you prefer that we be given a cast of bullies so we can cheer them on (the shooters) and "understand". Am the only person sick and tired of seeing films like "Bring it On" or even "Mean Girls" (which I liked) as the only movies about teens? These were real kids, not 20 something's playing kids. Bravo. Life is not a music video and neither is adolescence. Of course it is an isolated incident (Columbine) but look at how the media stirred it up, this film only offends people who wanted to see a rehash of "Taxi Driver" or some death metal video with a script. No one should try and tell us "Why" Columbine happened, all they will do is use this slaughter as a reason to grind there respective axes. The Christian fundamentalist will decry the breakdown of discipline and the banishment of God from the classroom. The liberal will whine about the lack of funding for music and art "Surely this gifted young artist would have preferred to paint and play then to murder". Nonsense, we can never know for sure why such a thing happened and we should not be so arrogant as to try to. One other thing, the characters in this film were not necessarily homosexual, true they stepped into the shower together, yes that's certainly gay, but we also know that this is a first time, no this is not about homosexuals lashing out at there oppressors, or the evils of secular humanism or the result of our violent culture, music etc. It is not about revenge, the people killed are random, that girl or the guy with the camera, truly horrible because it was so real. This is not a warning or a statement, this was a story, a horrible, compelling story.

Lemony Snicket's a Series of Unfortunate Events (Widescreen Edition)
Lemony Snicket's a Series of Unfortunate Events (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Jim Carrey
Offered by Perception Products
Price: $19.98
309 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Not an Unfortunate film., May 19, 2005
.There is a very telling sequence at the very beginning of LSASOUE, that sets the tone for the film. Everything is in bright happy colors, everyone is smiling, a bunch of gophers pop up and then "The Happy Little Elf" comes out, but something is wrong. The elf is smiling of course, but it is a forced smile, the colors and the music are trying much too hard to be happy and it rings painfully false, it is clear this is not the film we were going to see. The narrator warns us that the story he is about to tell us is not happy, and that if we wanted to see a happy film we should go elsewhere, he hints that this is a depressing and sad story, that we might not want to hear it and we might want to go to the next theater over where, no doubt, there would be a happy, cheery film to see (The narrator could not have know The Ring Two was next door, but he can't be blamed for that). The fortunate aspect of this unfortunate tale is that, in the end, it was not a depressing film at all, nor was it realistic, it was as off the wall as the Happy Little Elf, just not as colorful. The world is never as happy or sad as we think, and neither is this film. Tim Burtons name has been mentioned as the style of the film, I am forced to disagree, Burtons latest films have been pretty bad, he could learn something from this. The story is of three orphaned children who's lives are a misery. This is because the adults in there world are either very cruel or very stupid. I am sure everyone will have an opinion about this, how children are mistreated and bounced in and out of foster homes and such based on the whim of people who are in charge based on the year they were born, not on there intellect or abilities to raise children. I do not have children myself so I am more likely to identify with them then with the adults. This film could have gotten very preachy but it did not, good for them. It could have been very silly, especially with Jim Carrey who could get out of hand if allowed to, he did not. I truly enjoyed this film because is was not what was promised. Instead of a depressing story of hapless orphans, is a story of survival and of finding happiness where one can. I like that. Also it's wonderful blending of retro and future is perfect. I love that stuff, Orlofs car has a tape player, a reel to reel, perfect. There is death and mayhem, murder and betrayal, but it is still OK for kids (older kids) and it was done correctly, this is not easy. The best thing about this film is the way the writers and cast tread so very carefully about the various landmines that could sabotage it, and there are so very many. Also we are privy, I think, to the next great actress if her generation, Emily Browning. She joins Dakota Fanning,Devigh Chase, and Emma Watson as the next wave of fine young stars who, I hope, we will see more of. Finally there is the wonderful narration by Jude Law. I think his best line is when we learn of the children's parents dying and how they were told about it, the narrator simply says that if you have never lost someone dear to you you wont understand, but that it's the worst feeling in the world and it never stops, this could have been so bad but it wasn't. Lemony Snicket's joins a group of films that make is feel better about our lives, not because we are more fortunate then the people on screen, but because we can persevere like the people on the screen

Paradise Lost 2 - Revelations
Paradise Lost 2 - Revelations
DVD ~ Damien Wayne Echols
Offered by The DealNerd
Price: $11.11
44 used & new from $2.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Enough already!!!!!! Not guilty., May 11, 2005
This whole situation is sickening, for many reasons, most of all that people still won't admit to there bungling. I asked a friend of mine what he thought of this while WM3 situation, he shrugged his shoulders and said "They eat there young down there". His attitude seems to reflect that of many people, that the subjects of this film (Including the murdered boys) were subhuman and it didn't matter what happened to them. This attitude seems to be reflected in the actions of the so-called authorities who mismanaged this case from the get go. Anyone with eyes can see the confession was laughable, that in any other state, almost, it would never have been admissible, but the individuals, I think, simply pinned the murder on these three simple minded boys, then railroaded them based on peoples ignorance and fear. They cared less then not at all for the people they convicted and for the victims even less, they just wanted somebody, anybody to pin this on and they went with it. When compelling evidence is found afterward to prove they are not guilty, they just ignore it so they don't look bad. All that matters is that they are right, not the murdered children or the WM3, who cares about a bunch of inbred, illiterate morons with bad teeth? They live in trailer courts and they talk funny, so what? It is frustrating to watch and even more so as time goes on. It's one thing to show a travesty taking place, it is another to have everyone else see it and then pretend it's not there? Why do those who think they are guilty not make there own documentary, why not prove themselves right? I hope the people responsible get what they deserve....but they won't.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as can be expected....., May 7, 2005
I understand some peoples aversion to The Ring Two, it cannot pack the same punch as the original (The American Original), but who's fault is that? In the tradition of Japanese horror, the original story built slowly, giving us creepy clues and disturbing scenes which built to a climax which, while predictable, was worthwhile because of the interesting story, good acting and writing...then it took a hard left and threw us a major curve, this was the big payoff in the first film, but after that, the chance to shock everyone with Samara's emergence was lost, they had let the cat out of the TV. What could they do? Have Samara emerge from the microwave? "Is that popcorn burning?, better check the microwave....oh geeze a creepy dead girl, I hate it when that happens, telemarketers and creepy dead girls emerging from appliances, what next"? The thrill is gone, what to do? A sequel was required, they had to make one and they made a pretty good one, it's not the one I would have made, but they didn't ask me. The scares were a little more predictable and a little less cerebral but that was necessary for a number of reasons, not the least of which was they many parodies of the first film. The scares were there and the ending was sufficianly foggy, sure there were problems, there were problems with the first one, if you expected a repeat of the original, don't bother, you can't put the toothpast back in the tube, or the creepy little dead girl back in the well. I am confident some schmuck will let our MS. S out again, I will be there, I am a ringworm to the end EVERYONE WILL SUFFER!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars You had to be there.........., April 17, 2005
This is a film about two things, clinical depression and Christina Ricci. When Tim Burton thought of the "Joker" in the first Batman movie, there was only one real choice, Jack Nicholson had to play the part he was born for, it was a no brainier and he ruled. No one could have been better cast then Christina Ricci in the role she was clearly destined for, she will never be better, there will never again be a roll more suited to everyone's favorite crazy girl, she as good as it gets. Monster, Buffalo 66, Anything Else, The Opposite of Sex those are her crowning achievements, and she is only 25, a person might be jealous of Ms. Ricci, of her success, but who among us would want to be her? to be in such a state that these tortured souls are so seemingly easy for her to play....not play so much as become? This is a deeply personal film based on, I believe, a very personal novel (I have not read the book). Unable to wait any longer for the film to be released to theaters here in fly over country, I bought the DVD from someone on Ebay, I know it is a bootleg of some sort (The Chinese subtitles were impossible to turn off, partially obscuring Ricci's (...)during the famous topless scene, god I'm a pig). I know see Miramax's reason for not releasing it when they said, it will have many, many detractors, it would have to. Lizzy, the main character is crazy. Just plain crazy. Crazy is not glamorous or pretty, the film does not take a Terry Gilliam, Pink Floyd inspired stance and glamorize psychotic episodes with wild camera moves or flashy digital hoobajube, it is not Fear and Loathing at Harverd, or create some flavor of tortured artist who uses insanity to create great work. Instead we are given a very stark, vary real look at a horrible mental condition in which a person can only hurt anyone they love, or indeed anyone around them, hate themselves, feel sorry for themselves, hate themselves for feeling sorry for themselves and wish to die. As you may have guessed I have had some similar experiences, mine involved substance abuse but I have been on psych wards and have been on medication ( I still am). Anyone who has been hurt by someone in the state of Lizzy will dislike this film, indeed many people will dislike the film because the main character is not likeable, but that is the point. The film has a very abrupt ending, like they ran out of film or money or both. Also Prozac is never mentioned in the film until the end and then it is touted as the reason the main character was able to "get some breathing room" and write again, thus saving her life,or at least her career, as I understnad it the true story behind this is much more complex. She also calls her doctor a dealer and likens Prozac to crack, I used to smoke crack, I can tell you this is not accurate, even within the context of the film, she never seeks Prozac as a junkie seeks a fix, she never gets high on it. There are a million reason to dislike this film, it is trite, inaccurate, stilted and badly paced, characters appear and disappear without reason and the story is never resolved, we never know how to feel about the main character, but that is the films virtue as well. In this film we get a look inside the head of someone who wants desperately to get out of there head, in the end we can all be grateful we are not this character, at least I hope we are not.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3