Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Profile for Joseph Odle > Reviews

Browse

Joseph Odle's Profile

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joseph Odle RSS Feed

Ultrasone HFI-15G S-Logic Surround Sound Professional Semi Open-back Headphones
Ultrasone HFI-15G S-Logic Surround Sound Professional Semi Open-back Headphones
Offered by BrandRack
Price: $94.95
8 used & new from $40.00

5.0 out of 5 stars THE open-back portables you can't beat for the $$$$., July 10, 2012
These headphones are just lovely. They are ultra-comfortable and have great sound, however there are a couple of things you need to keep in mind before buying them.
For one you will need a more than average power-wise portable player (Cowon, Sony Z-series are a couple) to give these headphones proper juice for playback enjoyment. Unless you enjoy listening at a low volume. If you are thinking budget then the best all around solution to this is to buy a headphone amp. I use them with a cMoy amp. A cMoy amp are those kits put together with premium parts inside usually found inside an Altoids tin can and you can find plenty of genuine ones on eBay and a couple of online companies make them too. They usually cost you anywhere from 30 to 40 dollars, depending on options of what you want inside, you could spend more. I find a cMoy amp to give these headphones the juice they need to start making magic. Another option is an external sound card with a built in headphone amp.. which can cost you anywhere from 60 dollars to 200+. And then, yet another option, you can buy it's closed back brother Ultrasone for a little more $$ and probably be alright without an amp, though I haven't tried them myself.
Second is you need to know how to wear them. Generally to get them proper on your head so you hear all the details and the way it's just supposed to be you need to have them fairly low down stretched down and click both sides down to where the lower parts of the pads are underneath your ears and then, more importantly, you need to scoot the headphones a bit closer towards the back of your head. Do this while music is playing and you will know what I mean. The sound totally opens right up when you do that. Good thing is is that they still remain extremely comfortable. If I was very unfamiliar with headphones and didn't fool around with that I would think they sounded like they were still in the box. It's THAT important.

They are great with all genres of music, and have a decent amount of bass, but I imagine most would like a bit of eq experimenting to do in that department. These are not BassHead headphones. They are just very good natural sounding headphones that are open back, very, very comfortable, and are very easy to listen to. I imagine if you were to stay awake (though I wouldn't recommend it) for a week straight (lol) and listen to music for a week straight, these headphones would never bother you. Unless you kept it at 11 and pushed the headphones as hard as possible to your head. Heck, even then it might not be so bad.

There is my review. I think they are great headphones. I hope to someday try the closed-back version for traveling or what not, but for now I am happy with listening to them at home when I can. Thanks for reading and I hope I have helped in any way possible. Even if it was just for a laugh or two.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2012 1:42 AM PST

Audioengine A2 White
Audioengine A2 White

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably as close to real hi-fi as you can get for the money., December 27, 2011
This review is from: Audioengine A2 White (Electronics)
--Listening and setup--
After listening to these for about 3 weeks, I assumed they were just about fully broken in. However, I noticed more and more change as the weeks went by. I do lower the bass settings on my eq from my Asus Xonar DS card a couple of notches while they are sitting in front of me on my desktop on the a2 stands. This also have to do with upgrading the interconnect cable. I am using a Audioquest Evergreen mini-rca cable and noticed a more precise and fuller sound. I also upgraded the power cable. Be careful though some power cables will make the powered speaker run pretty darn hot. I recommend the picky audiophile to just get a very short standard power cable. But if you just have to, keep a note on matching a thicker power cable. I was using a 14-guage power cable and the volume knob became real hot as well. I was not experiencing this with a PS Audio Power Punch which is 12 gauge (no idea why.) I also noticed a difference hooking up the passive speaker with a length from a bulk run of Audioquest 16 guage wire. More clear and balanced matched with the Evergreen. Audioquest are not my all time favorite or anything, but for my budget I love them. What I quickly began to admire about them was how consistent the sound quality I was getting from these little gems for hours on end. Partially due to the silk dome tweeters I imagine. I like a good metal dome on some speakers too though. Soft dome is your best bet for longer listening sessions, in my opinion. Listening sessions have been with Windows 7 64-bit operating system with J. River Media Center. I highly recommend that program for a boost in performance. It's $50.00 price tag is justified. Free one month trial. If you do try it make sure you run it in WASAPI mode and run your sound through your memory instead of your hard drive. That option is so nifty. Great, great sound!

--Listening to different types of music--
Well I can't think of one kind of music that I didn't try with the A2s. And really whatever you throw at them will sound good as long as the sound quality is good. Wave, Aiff and compact discs sound wonderful as they should, however the best thing that surprised me was how great well encoded lossy files sound through them. .Mp3, ogg, Musepack, aac, wma etc. all had a wonderful tone of their own and I even enjoyed converting to lossy formats just to hear them differently. Rarely were they fatiguing. Maybe really low Bit rates, but I did try with those much. I use dBpoweramp for converting my cds. And downloaded from eMusic, Amazon Mp3, and HDTracks (for Flac and Aiff). I am not saying you have to using these programs to enjoy music on these speakers, but they can help in big ways from my experience. Flac is also wonderful as the mighty "lossy-lossless format" .Ape is fantastic as well.

--A few useful tips and review scores--

Keep the speakers at ear level. Something like your ears are at the height that is in between the tweeter and woofer, or right at the tweeters height. Make sure the speakers are parallel with each other in distance from wall and toe them in towards you the way you like. This will all change after they break in, but it always helps. Don't kick yourself if you can't afford better cables. They sound like real speakers stock right out of the box. I would say spend the money on a decent sound card and media player first. Here are my scores.

Build quality and finish: 9.00 - (Not practical for the volume on the back, but you get use to it fast. It is probably more practical for the speaker though. Less internal wires the better! I love the glossy white finish. They look better in person. No remote sensor.

Ease of installation and use: 9.50 - Having to buy the stands separate and a lot of people may not even think of that before hand. They are a little pricey in my opinion, but are made of good isolating material (silicone.) Some people may not need them to tilt up and can use some home made remedies of their own though. Getting use to volume placement could be tedious to some. Plug it up and turn it on is usually all you need to do. The amp will automatically shutoff over time when no audio signal is sent. They are the most fun of any speakers I have yet to use. And can also fill a small/medium room with good sound.

Sound quality: 9.75 - Some eq tweaking may be necessary. Maybe not. I imagine for most will, especially first listening sessions. After you get it right it is close to perfect for a speaker of this size. They are versatile with all music genres and can play loud for hours and hours with very little fatigue if any. Bass is tight and pretty tuneful. They do not showcase the very deepest of bass, but I think that is kind of a good thing for people in apartments or living with multiple people/rooms.

Value: 9.75 - As I mentioned the speaker stands.. well I just think it could bug some. It did me a little. I guess after you get this much for your money you just can't imagine having to buy anything else for them. They spoil you.

Overall rating 9.50 - They are not just great speakers for your money. They are great speakers. Period.

Thanks for reading and sorry if it seemed a bit too long of a review. I hope my thoughts opinions influence your purchasing decision! Happy listening to all and have a happy 2012 and beyond. :-)