Profile for K. O'Neil > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 70

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. O'Neil "Old SF reader" RSS Feed (Santa Monica, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Kickback (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 3)
Kickback (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 3)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet, can't wait for the next one—Swansong—due this summer..., July 7, 2014
I bought this book at 12:11pm,,, it's now 4:02pm on the same day and I literally couldn't put it down! I've actually read all three DI Nick Dixon books in the last two days! Actually, gobbled would probably be a better description...

Damien Boyd is a winner! With each book his writing has grown and I can hardly wait for the next one—Swansong—due this summer! This book is well written, fast paced and loaded with wonderful twists and turns. Since I read it in just under 4 hours you can tell that it gripped and held my attention. I want MORE of DI Nick Dixon and the rest of the characters that Mr. Boyd has introduced me to! And I certainly wouldn't mind if the books were a bit longer. ;-)

This is a thoroughly English mystery and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Nick Dixon is becoming a fully rounded person and Jane Winter is right there with him...

This is a stand alone story even if it does reference 'Head in the Sand' in that it ties up a few loose ends in the previous book. But you don't need to read the others to enjoy this one—this story is complete in and of itself! But it's also part of a series and you can see the growth of the characters as well as Mr. Boyd's talent from book to book.

Thank you Mr. Boyd and keep them coming!

Head In The Sand (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 2)
Head In The Sand (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read! Well plotted, highly recommended!, July 7, 2014
This book is great! I finished 'As the Crow Flies' (the first book in this series) last night and promptly bought 'Head in the Sand' and I'm very happy I did. Damien Boyd is growing as an author, this book is well plotted with amazing twists and turns and it was very well paced. I downloaded 'As the Crow Flies' for free and it did its job, I bought this book and I just bought the third installment, 'Kickback,' after finishing this one. This is not the first time the 'free' first volume of a series has hooked me and I love being able to sample an entire book and learn the author's ways. Thank you!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it was a fast read, well written and very well plotted... had me guessing right up to the end! And, although I've never let my blood sugar get as low as Dixon did, the description of what it feels like is right on and I'll be much more careful in the future.

If you enjoy a well plotted English mystery, buy all three of Mr. Boyd's books! I look forward to the 4th one! Hopefully soon...

As The Crow Flies (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 1)
As The Crow Flies (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 1)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly English mystery... will buy Head in the Sand, July 6, 2014
This is a very English mystery, understated and not full of gratuitous violence. For many American readers this book may seem slow but if you enjoy English mysteries, either written or on TV, you will probably enjoy this one. Yes it does have a lot of technical stuff about rock climbing—but it fits the story and the bit about falcons is fascinating.

I enjoyed this book, I found the plot intriguing and the twists interesting. I will be buying 'Head in the Sand.' I do think Mr. Boyd could do a bit more character building and I will be interested to see if the next book builds on this foundation.

I read the other reviews and I can't believe that the 1 and 2 star reviewers read the same book. Profanity? I don't remember any at all. Raw language??? Not sure what that refers to. And please people, read your reviews before posting them! To have a reviewer complain about grammar or spelling when their review uses bad grammar and has misspellings is a bit much...

One thing I really, really appreciate is that the book is complete within itself... so many Amazon authors these days seem to think that they need to leave the story incomplete to get the readers to buy the next one... This book stands alone, there's no weird cliffhanger to make you buy the next book to complete this story. Mr. Boyd gives you characters that will continue but he doesn't try to FORCE you to buy the next installment to find out how this one ended! He entices you... successfully. Thank you!

An Indecent Death
An Indecent Death
Price: $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious... not recommended., July 6, 2014
This review is from: An Indecent Death (Kindle Edition)
My first impression is tedious... this book doesn't get anywhere quickly.

My second impression is that I HATE reading bold, sans serif typefaces. And this book is aggressively stuck in what looks like bold Futura. Studies have proved over and over again that people prefer reading serif typefaces (the type with little feet) and I almost put this book down after the first paragraph just because I couldn't change the typeface!

And come on! Why in the world is Drumm constantly going on about his blood sugar! If he's diabetic it would have been picked up in his police physical and all it does is leave a nasty taste in my mouth... it's totally not needed as part of the story and I get the feeling that all Mr. Anderson knows about the disease is what he's read online.

The plot isn't bad but the details leave a lot to be desired. Unbelievable—a grade school teacher who goes around without underwear and short skirts! Every boy over the age of 10 in the school would have known and the parents wouldn't be far behind. Yet this bimbo goes about having sex all over the school without anyone doing anything but gossiping?

I'm not usually this negative about a book but, to tell you the truth, I found this book annoying on so many fronts! Personally I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone... and I did slog through it to the end — the last chapter is the only quick thing about the book and tied things up just a bit too neatly. Now I will delete it, and forget it... forever!

Life and Death on the Tamiami Trail
Life and Death on the Tamiami Trail

5.0 out of 5 stars A great mystery! Thoroughly enjoyed it..., July 2, 2014
I'm not exactly sure why but I really, really enjoyed reading this book. There's no one thing I can put my finger on... I simply enjoyed reading it!

The mystery is just that, mysterious and— unlike some—I didn't figure out the ending before I got there! The pace is gentle, the characters are interesting and very likable. And there are many unexpected twists and turns. I started this book last night and I literally couldn't put it down. Read until 2am and then got up this morning and finished it.

The parts of this mystery all fit together in the end and I thoroughly enjoyed it. And, unlike many of the newer self-published books, this is a complete story. It ends. It leaves lots of space for more books but it doesn't leave you hanging, knowing that the book was ended just to pull you into the next one. I really appreciate that!

I enjoyed this book enough that I bought the next book and I look forward to those that, I hope, will be coming in the future.

The Forgotten Legion (The Forgotten Legion Chronicles)
The Forgotten Legion (The Forgotten Legion Chronicles)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $8.89

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor research..., June 6, 2014
Sorry Mr. Kane, but you lost me when street urchins were throwing rotten tomatoes in 53BC... tomatoes are native to the western hemisphere and will not arrive in Europe until the 1500's. And that's not the only historically incorrect occurrence, just the most glaring. If you want to read well researched fiction about Rome or Roman legions, read elsewhere.

And I agree with other reviewers... this book should have been half it's length, it's bloated and needs a good editor to keep the whole thing in line. Actually this book is more like an alternate history than anything else. There are historical figures and historical happenings but they bear little resemblance to the actual people or events. Read as an alternate history it's actually easier to take. (If you want a stunning alternate Roman history try the Belisarius series by David Drake and Eric Flint... both pretty good historians as well as great writers.)

That said, the story line is actually interesting. Several of the characters are likeable (if a bit underdeveloped and unbelievable) and I actually liked reading it. But I'm not interested enough to read the others... unfortunately. I really wanted to like this book... but I simply couldn't. Especially when I found myself skimming portions in an attempt to move the story along. Sorry...

Into the Darkness (Darkness #1)
Into the Darkness (Darkness #1)

2.0 out of 5 stars OK but it has problems., June 5, 2014
The story line is interesting but parts of it are repeated much too often. Basically the writing itself isn't bad although a good editor could tighten up the story--and perhaps leave enough space to actually resolve some of the missing parts of the story. And editor would also have caught the many context problems.

And, as other reviewers have mentioned, there is non-consensual sex. Lots of it and much of it is more than a little rough. And most of it would be considered rape by any right thinking human being -- and hiding it behind a 'slightly different human species' doesn't work for me.

The final thing that pisses me off is that the story just ends. Nothing is resolved, everything just hangs there waiting for the next installment, the next book. It is possible to hook your reader, to lead them into the next book without simply stopping. Major authors do it all the time.

The book was actually an easy read and I did enjoy a few parts of it... but this my first, and last, book in this series.

Maggie for Hire (Maggie MacKay - Magical Tracker Book 1)
Maggie for Hire (Maggie MacKay - Magical Tracker Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually fairly enjoyable..., June 4, 2014
The writing is pretty good, the plot is enjoyable—if a bit unbelievable—but it's a very good first effort.

I actually enjoyed reading this book. It was a fast read if just a bit short, would have been nice to have a few of the characters fleshed out a bit more. Ends in a cliff hanger come-on to the next book.

If you're looking for a nice, if undemanding, book featuring a new twist on elves and zombie hunters then try this one out...

A Hidden Fire: Elemental Mysteries Book One
A Hidden Fire: Elemental Mysteries Book One

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, but I couldn't get past 12%..., June 4, 2014
I tried, I really did. But I found the first 12% of the book boring...

And, to tell you the truth, I'm tired of all these so-called vampire romances. Not my cup of tea...

Muleshoe (a Mike Bishop Novel Book 1)
Muleshoe (a Mike Bishop Novel Book 1)
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent story with problems..., June 3, 2014
I like Mike Bishop, I actually liked the book... mostly. But I really hated the stick-like figure of Dunbar and the insane stereotype of Talltrees. Although I found Dunbar's end a bit contrived and a bit lazy.

I did like the historical tie-in's and the mystery of what was being searched for. The author seems to know his civil war history and makes it more interesting than several of the characters.

But there were problems. My first one is that the book was locked into a bold faced sans-serif typeface that was a real pain to read for any length of time.

Second is that the pace was slow and I saw too many of the plot points coming.

But all in all I did enjoy reading the book. It's a good effort but I think with a good editor to tighten up and guide the story it could have been really be topnotch.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7