Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Todd R. Moody > Reviews

Browse

Todd R. Moody's Profile

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Todd R. Moody RSS Feed (Kokomo, IN USA)

Steel Victory: Steel Empires 1
Steel Victory: Steel Empires 1
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Captivating Alternate Reality!, November 14, 2015
J. L. Gribble has created a captivating alternate reality in her debut novel, full of magic and vampires and were-creatures. The story centers around a centuries old female vampire named Victory and her adopted family, and the city-state she's cultivated as a safe zone between the British and Romans empires.

Victory has tried to step back in her control of the city politics, but as often happens, subversive elements creep in and try to undermine all she has accomplished. A new Roman Emperor also threatens to destroy the peace that has been established by treaty for decades.

But her family is not one to be trifled with. They all have military training and varying degrees of experience in the arts of war. A mercenary guild helps protect the city as well, with ties that go back to the birth of the city. But their little hamlet is no match for an entire legion from either the Brits or the Romans, so they must rely on savvy politics to keep their status as a free-state.

The characters are all singular, well-developed, and interesting. She uses strong female characters as the main points of view, while not a new thing, it does add flavor to the historical fantasy trope, especially Victory as a matriarch of the city-state and the anchor of the story.
Mrs. Gribble's prose is excellent, a very well-done novel from a first-time author. The story is tight and moves quickly. It drew me right in. I would definitely qualify this novel as a page-turner. She keeps cranking up the tension, and just when you think things couldn't get any worse, she takes up another notch.

The timeframe this story takes place in is hard to pin down. The alternate history of Romans and Greeks still playing a large part on the world scene would imply an older venue, but it's post-apocalyptic, taking place long after a nuclear war that has devastated much of the land. Certain types of technology have been rendered useless by Elven magic but there is a history of gun making that could be taken out of our current science. The history of this world intrigues me and I hope we find out more about it in the other books in this series. She currently has this planned as a trilogy with the next book set to release sometime in 2016.

If you like vampires or urban fantasy this should be in your wheelhouse. Highly recommended.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Piracy, July 15, 2012
This is a blatant rip-off of one of CJ Cherryh's Foreigner books. DO NOT EMPOWER THIS WRITER, HE IS A THIEF!

Gabriel's Return (Evan Gabriel Trilogy Book 2)
Gabriel's Return (Evan Gabriel Trilogy Book 2)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars SciFi lovers will enjoy this book, a well executed softmore effort!, October 13, 2011
Do you like Science Fiction? If you do, you will love the new series by Steve Umstead. I read a review comparing Evan Gabriel with Snake Plissken and it is on the mark. Think Snake Plissken on Mars, subtract the cheese, add a dollop of interstellar intrigue and pulse rifles and you have the world of Commander Evan Gabriel.
I met Steve on twitter about a year ago and he was still working on his first release, Gabriel's Redemption, and I immediately liked him. When his book was published I bought it knowing full-well that it was self-published and wanted to throw him a bone, but it was extremely well-crafted, WITHOUT a lot of the pitfalls you hear about in the DIY format. But that wasn't all, the story moved fast and even though the protagonist is a grim man, it captured my attention from the word go. I absolutely love his "Neuretics", they are one of the cooler concepts I've read in quite awhile. Frankly, I'd love to steal this concept for my novel. His near future world is extremely believable and his projected technology works like a charm. Neuretics are a form of integrated brain-slash-nervous system-slash-secure internet-slash-radio tech that thoroughly rocks my world! In Gabriel's Return we find Commander Evan Gabriel in a happier place, and with a love interest. I have to say the new life suits him well, even if he's not entirely comfortable with it. The second book is so often a letdown, but in this case it is an upgrade to the original. Steve is getting better as a writer and it shows. This Clancyesque story line takes us across the galaxy, but the stakes are more personal and more meaningful, ultimately creating a much more satisfying story. I honestly can't wait for the third book!

There is a great deal of discussion on the interwebs about traditional publishing vs. self-publishing and I for one haven't decided which way I'm going to go, but Mr. Umstead is showing us how it's done on the self-publishing side. These books do not have typos or grammatical issues or discontinuities. He has done his research and obviously has a very good editor. I think Steve could go traditional with this series and I haven't asked him why he didn't, but I can tell you he is pumping them out very quickly now -- all three in this trilogy within the same calendar year. I'm guessing that has something to do with it.
Stop by #pubwrite on twitter and say hello to the mayor, Steve Umstead himself. I put my money where my mouth is, and it was well-spent.
Well done, sir!

Confessions of a Freelance Penmonkey
Confessions of a Freelance Penmonkey
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If you were waiting for the ultimate book on writing advice your wait is over!, September 22, 2011
I've read quite a few books on how to write, or how to develop a particular genre, but hands down, this is the best book on writing out right now. Chuck Wendig is a prodigious wordsmith, who has a wonderful grasp of vulgarity and metaphor. I actual liken him to a modern day Samuel Clemons, I don't mean to overstate this; I think he has potential to be one of the greats. This particular book is chock full of fantastic and on the mark writing tips, but is tremendously entertaining and fun to read all by itself. I think Chuck could write about watching paint dry and it would be humorous and engaging. Mr. Wendig has a gift for cutting through to the unvarnished truth and telling you what you need to hear. I can't recommend this book strongly enough! It is a Juggernaut in a sea of writing advice and stands head and shoulders above its peers. Any aspiring writer will get a bounty of pertinent and constructive writing advice, whether it's for novels, short stories, novellas, screenplays or any writing done for pay or just for personal enjoyment.

Gabriel's Redemption (Evan Gabriel Trilogy Book 1)
Gabriel's Redemption (Evan Gabriel Trilogy Book 1)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great near Future SciFi Action!, May 6, 2011
This story picks up speed early on and never slows down! He takes us into the near future with a fast-paced story filled with betrayal and political intrigue. His tech is completely integrated, compelling and believable!

This is Umstead's debut novel, and although this is a self-published book it doesn't have the glaring errors typical of some self-published work. The editing is clean and doesn't have any holes in the plot or dialogue that you often see in poorly done self-published work. The pace is fast and the dialogue is snappy and interesting Gabriel is someone we can root for and the deeper we get into the story the more immersed you become.

I didn't want to put it down! I highly recommend it if you like action, interstellar travel or near term science fiction adventure, it delivers and has a satisfying ending! I can't wait for book 2!

GroundTies ('NetWalkers: Original Series Book 1)
GroundTies ('NetWalkers: Original Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! Need more Fancher!, March 11, 2011
I read all three books several years ago. They are gripping and still relevant today. Jane does a great job building strong, compelling characters that live in a believable, complex and far flung future society. The story is potent and has a great finish; I couldn't wait to get to the next book! I'm eager for more of her work to hit the shelves!

Meteora
Meteora
Price: $9.99
272 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Classic, December 5, 2004
This review is from: Meteora (Audio CD)
I am an older fan, being over 40. I have a fairly ecclectic taste in music and generally I can find something I like in almost any genre. I am not big on old style country music or rap music, but other than that I have favorites in just about every music style.

To me a good album is one where you don't feel like you have to skip songs because you just can't stand them. There are very few albums that are chock full of good songs. Most have one to three songs that I like and the rest of the album ranges from bad to aweful.

Having said all that I have to say that this album is fantastic! There is only one song that is merely good, and the rest are very well done. You can tell that more than one of the band members like to engineer as much as play. I find it interesting that the soul of the band are the two engineers (Shinoda and Hahn) that met each other in art school. I think that says alot about what this band is about. They love what they are doing and it comes through in their music.

Despite the heaviness of the guitar-work in most of the songs, it is one of the cleanest and most precise sounding albums I have ever heard. The lyrics are probably meaningful to the younger crowd, but they are well thought out. The songs are different enough from each other to stay fresh and they are all very melodic and energy filled. Many of the songs are filled with in your face power and several are quieter and more thought provoking. The players in the band are maturing with life experience and it is showing in the feel of the songs.

It is a great sophmore effort and I can't wait to see what comes out of the next studio collaboration.