Profile for aaa-Pam > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 249

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

aaa-Pam RSS Feed
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
War Letters 1914-1918, Vol. 1: From a Young British Officer at the Western Front during the First World War
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Find Yourself In the Trenches, May 4, 2015
Wonderful!!!

This is a nice piece of scholarship from Mark Tanner, and those of us who enjoy reading Primary Sources will enjoy it immensely.

If you don't know what Primary Sources are, those are letters and documents from a historic time period. Not the writings of boring old historians, but things like Lewis and Clark's journal or Caesar's Gallic Wars, or a diary from an obscure woman who rode in a covered wagon from St. Joe to Oregon.

In this case we are dropped into the trenches of WWI with a very young subaltern fresh from school and officer's training. His narrative is so fresh and engrossing, and his buoyant personality comes through in his letters home so that you can begin to read between the lines. And you can see that though he continues to update his parents as to what he is doing that he is actively shielding them from the increasingly grave and grim turn of events.

THE BOOK
The ebook format is perfect for this work. The editor/writer, Mark Tanner, doesn't interrupt the flow of Wibert's tale but instead has copious notes that you can read or not. With the Kindle you tap the note number and go to the end of the book to read the additional information. Tap the number again and you go back to where you were reading Wilbert's narrative.

READ THIS SHORT COLLECTION OF LETTERS.

DO NOT be put off from trying this book just because you aren't a big reader of history, or don't know much about World War I. These letters and the author's introduction are a quick read --maybe half an hour to 45 minutes, if you don't include the footnotes. And its so worth it to find yourself in another time and space. To find out for yourself, on a very visceral level, what it was like to be thigh deep in mud with the German snipers shooting bullets inches from your head.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2015 11:43 AM PDT

Scotts 18348 Turf Builder Dense Shade Grass Seed Mix Bag, 3-Pound (Not for sale in Louisiana)
Offered by Great Household
Price: $13.71
7 used & new from $13.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Have My Finger Crossed, May 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Finally coming in after 2 weeks in an area that already has shade.

I applied and then watered and the weather has cooperated. It took some waiting though before I began to see those sprouts. Only time will tell though whether they can survive the shady area that is their new home.

Interestingly enough, I tried to start this on damp paper towels and nothing sprouted. This suggests that following the application directions is important to getting results.

Firstborn
Firstborn
by Kieran Scott
Price: $13.48
49 used & new from $7.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book for younger readers, May 3, 2015
This review is from: Firstborn (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
FIRSTBORN is a fabulous little book that I think would make a good read-aloud for home or classroom, in addition to it's being a good read for kids who can tackle text at the 5th Grade reading level. AR 5.3 with 7 points.

What makes this book so good are the characters, the extremely well written, easy flowing narrative, and the fact that there are some good underlying messages. FIRSTBORN is a book with levels of enjoyment.

The story is told to us by a Magpie named Maggie. She's a totally adorable narrator and while at first she introduces us to the important birds in her life, she soon draws us into the lives of other creatures in the Yosemite area. Principally the wolves she befriends.

Readers and adult gate-keepers should know that Tor Seidler, the author, doesn't shy away from death. This is a book about wild animals and death is something they deal with on a daily basis. There is nothing gory, but not everyone makes it to the end of the book.

FIRSTBORN is a book that celebrates the outliers, those who are willing to make their own paths and who are willing to accept others as they are. These themes left me with a smile and left me wondering how I could do justice to this little book.

NCLEX-PN Premier 2015-2016 with 2 Practice Tests
NCLEX-PN Premier 2015-2016 with 2 Practice Tests
by Kaplan
Price: $29.47
67 used & new from $21.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource, May 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As you would expect, there is no way to cram for the NCLEX-PN test. There is just to much integrated information for cramming to be effective. And that is one of the highlights of this book. It explains that the test is not about facts and factoids, it's about being a competent nurse who can think on their feet and take an integrative approach to what they've learned.

I'd give this book 5-Stars for making that clear. But it does more. The book contains two tests, but the other, larger section is about how to get into the right mindset to take and pass the exam. A quick example of this is how the book reminds students that their real-world experience should be ignored because the test developers aren't looking for anything but textbook answers.

This is an excellent, clearly written book with a money back guarantee.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2015 6:17 PM PDT

Nia 24 Intensive Retinol Repair, 1.7 oz.
Nia 24 Intensive Retinol Repair, 1.7 oz.
Price: $130.00
2 used & new from $130.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Interestingly, Got Mixed Results for Different Areas, May 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It wasn't until I applied the repair lotion to my entire face that I saw results.

At first I thought I'd go after the really 'bad' area and the runners up. My thinking was that if the Nia24 worked miracles that I would hoard the elixir for those areas. So I was religious about my application to the crease between my brows and the beginning small lines around my mouth. I saw little in the way of reduction. My crease did look lustrous and moist however.

I then decided to broaden out my test areas. I applied the lotion to my cheeks and forehead and even the back of my hand where I have this detestable large freckle... ie, age spot. No one ever claimed that this product did anything for age spots but I was curious.

What I discovered is that the skin on my cheeks and forehead actually burned a tiny bit. But only for a brief time. My hand didn't burn at all and neither did my brow region or around my mouth. But my cheeks definitely did. And my cheeks definitely looked better. After a few short days my skin in the second group looked softer and plumper. Even that age spot and the skin surrounding it looked pumper and less wrinkled.

I don't know what to make of my mixed results but I am pleased with the positive ones.

PACKAGING:
The box is attractive in a cheerful sort of way. The tube that the creme comes in is functional and sturdy and one should be able to get all of the creme out of tube and that the tube would hold up to being carried around in a purse or luggage.

THE CREME/LOTION
It's white and cremey and I didn't find that it had a strong scent.

Scotts PatchMaster Lawn Repair Mix - Tall Fescue Mix, 4.75-Pound (Grass Seed Mix)
Price: $9.98
8 used & new from $9.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Use and Doesn't Wash Away, May 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Imagine sprinkling the fluff that builds up in the dryer vent over your lawn. This is very much what it felt like to put this Repair Mix out --like compressed laundry leftover fluff.

Given this fact I was really curious to see how this product performed. And so far, out of the variety of Scotts and other lawn seeding products it has worked the best.

What I like it that it stayed put and the grass sprouted. Right after I put out my samples the over-night sprinkle that the weatherman had called for, turned into a gully washer. This Repair mix was used in a hilly area and it stayed put.

The patch mix also kept the seed moist.

Sort of pricey for what you get but it works and I'd recommend it if you can find it at a price that suits you.

Wacces New Red Keyboard Silicone Cover skin for New Macbook Pro Aluminum 13, 15, 17 inches
Offered by Well Gallery
Price: $1.68
23 used & new from $1.67

5.0 out of 5 stars No Complaints, April 30, 2015
I have a 15-inch Early 2011 MacPro and this keyboard cover fits the key distribution perfectly. The color I received is not the red in the photo, but instead it has some orange. Relative to the purple cover I had previously this one leaps out at me. Vivid color.

No plastic/rubber stink. This Silicone skin is brightly colored. No way to discern whether it is a real Wacces or not.

Victor Scent-Away Rodent Repeller Drops M803
Victor Scent-Away Rodent Repeller Drops M803
Price: $8.10
5 used & new from $8.10

3.0 out of 5 stars Ours Were Not Highly Scented, April 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Ack. Second time in the last 5 years that silly mice have taken up residence in the engine compartment of my mom-van. Not entirely unexpected though as we live in a little house in the midst of a whole lot of forest that is mouse-friendly. In fact, at the end of every winter we get meeses in the garage and usually one in the kitchen. Yuck!!!!

This VICTOR SCENT-AWAY was easy to use so no negatives there. You basically pull a paper tab and are good to go. I didn't find anything yucky about holding it or using it.

I WAS surprised that it wasn't very scented. I was rather worried at first that I'd put these out and that the garage and car would be too minty to stand. Instead I find I have to get within a foot or two to notice. So the scent turned out to be both a relief and a concern. I mean how sensitive are mice noses?

I haven't noticed these keeping mice away but I will say that I like the scent enough that I moved the one from the garage to the kitchen. It's really nice to open a cabinet and catch the clean minty scent.

The one thing I did notice is that the one mouse-unfriendly trap we use in the garage seemed to begin zapping more mice when we put this near it. And I wonder if perhaps it hides the subtle scent of fried mouse.

WORTH A TRY. We found these mouse-so-minty tabs to be very lightly scented but that could just be the luck of the draw.

**For those of you who like non-violence may I suggest the Havahart Live Animal Two-Door Mouse Cage Trap. We've had great luck with these and our strategy is take our little captive down the hill and across the creek where we release them. For those more problematic times we have also resorted to Mouse Zapper.) I don't remember us paying this much for ours as this is listed for, but once you get the hang of setting it up --sunflowers work fantastically-- it works great.

Perky-Pet 400 All-in-One Finch Bird Feeder
Perky-Pet 400 All-in-One Finch Bird Feeder
Offered by TEXASVALUEONLINE
Price: $10.79
4 used & new from $10.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Feeder, April 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Our deck looks like Bird-Central. We have all kinds of feeders and watering centers and this new Perky-Pet Thistle feeder is a welcome addition.

Probably the thing I like best about it is the color. I mean we have all sorts of feeders and they are a dark green that blends in with green foliage around them. This cheery yellow feeder really pops in comparison. And I find the color cheerful.

What you get is a long clear plastic body. Like most thistle feeders the cap at the top comes off for filling. I use a plastic cup to fill all of ours. And I will note here that I call it a thistle feeder for a reason --it ONLY feeds thistle. Other bird seed can't get through the small holes.

Finally, another thing I like about this feeder is that it has extra perches which we need. Goldfinches and other small thistle eaters tend to feed in good sized groups and this feeder helps to supply them with their favorite Niger Thistle.

Great price (a little over a ten spot). Recommend.

The Cemetery Boys
The Cemetery Boys
by Heather Brewer
Price: $13.68
68 used & new from $7.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Heather Brewer knows how to develop a scary theme, April 28, 2015
This review is from: The Cemetery Boys (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
THE CEMETERY BOYS is a well written quick read that will appeal to Young Adult readers looking for spooky read. Teachers of middle schoolers might want to note that there is smoking, sexual content, and a great deal of drinking.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20