Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for The Invisible Pam > Reviews

Browse

The Invisible Pam's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3320
Top Reviewer Ranking: 311

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

The Invisible Pam "(Pam)" RSS Feed
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
DII Bone Dry Warm, Soft, Plush, Bone Pet Pillow Blanket for Couch, Car, Trunk, Cage, Kennel, Dog House, 50x60", Navy
Price: $26.99

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 STARS, April 21, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First thing you should know is that I vacillated over whether to give this pillow/blanket 3-Stars or 4-Stars. I ended up giving it 4 because while it's not a fantastic product, it definitely can have it's uses.

WHAT YOU GET is a sofa size pillow. Not one of the huge oversized ones, but more or less your regular sofa pillow. Unlike the other dog blanket that I reviewed (B017HMNI5W) this one is made of a single piece of fabric. On one side there is the bone imprint and the material has a short nap. This is the softest side in my opinion.

The other side has the zipper (in a box shape around the middle, or around 3 sides of the middle) and two fabric conditions. The first section has been treated like the bone-imprint side. The other treatment is longer and fuzzier. It's soft but not as silky.

I'm not sure why they didn't do the entire blanket in the bone-inprint, but they chose not to. It's a bit funky to me, which is why I deducted some stars.

The zipper is your standard nylon variety. The blanket has a hem which consists of fabric that is folded over from the bone side and sewn with a zig zag stitch.

All in all this is a fairly pricey product. However the fact that it can be folded into a pillow makes it very very convenient. You can tuck it into the car for child or dog or whoever has mud on them, or who is shedding... hair or crumbs.

What surprised me is how the dogs have taken to it. Usually they run to lay on our dirty laundry when I'm doing that activity. This blanket competed against our stinky stuff very well. I guess dogs like luxury too.
Comment Comment | Permalink

DII Bone Dry Very Warm, Silky Soft, Morrocan Paw Print Pet Blanket For Couch, Car, Trunk, Cage, Kennel, Or Dog House, 48x67", Taupe
Price: $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Soft, warm, and lightweight, April 20, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Very soft and silky. What you get is two pieces of fabric that are sewn together. The top piece is short nap and has the pattern. The bottom fabric is in a complimentary solid, and it is fuzzier. The two pieces are only sewn together near the edge where the top piece of fabric is folded over the bottom solid and sewn about two inches away from the edge. This means that you can grab the center of both pieces of fabric and pull them in different directions.

There are some nice advantages to this fabric. First, spoiled puppies and dogs will be drawn to the softness. Second, this type of fabric dries quickly.

It's also warm. I happened to wake up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep. I started to get cold where I was sitting and the only thing at hand was this blanket so I used it. I was surprised at how warm it was. It's very light weight but I guess the double fabric holds in the heat. This gave me the idea to try this out on our poodle-boy after his bath. He has an extremely dense coat and it takes forever for him to dry. (He hates the hair dryer so we try not to use that.) Being wet and indoors makes him a bit chilled and so far this is helping to keep him toasty.

Washes well. Soft enough for people so you could keep it in the car for dogs and use it for people in a pinch. I really like that it dries quickly. The only thing that I don't like at the moment is that the doggie footprints are too large (larger than they look in the product image) so that it's not as attractive as it might have been.
Comment Comment | Permalink

NAPLEX 2016 Strategies, Practice, and Review with 2 Practice Tests: Online + Book
by Amie Brooks Pharm.D. BCPS CDE
Price: $45.05
56 used & new from $33.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise, Organized, and Chart Oriented, April 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
You might 'wing' an SAT or ACT and go without a practice book, but I can't imagine taking any of the medical exams without some sort of extensive preparation. For one thing, it's not really practical to go back and skim through your old textbooks. And second, the medical exams are so very different in form from standard tests that you really need to understand what the examiners are looking for; and consequently what the format will be.

The NAPLEX, for example, uses scenario testing. There's a particular patient that the questions and answers refer to. And unlike the other medical exams there are different sorts of questions; some that require you fill in the blank, others that require you to order a list of medications based on some criteria.

--All through the material you'll find hints as to how to approach the questions.
--The book gives you a refresher presentation on the material, followed by questions at the end of the chapter.
--The questions at the end of the chapter should give you a good idea of whether the area that's covered is one that you are competent in, or one that you need to do some more studying on.

It's a very well structured book that is clearly written. The only other comment I would make is that the pertinent information is presented in spreadsheet form. In going over this book with others I noticed that most liked this format, but a few did not, preferring straightforward lists.

Recommend.

Miracle-Gro Nature's Care Organic and Natural Vegetable, Fruit and Flower Food ( 8 lbs )
Price: $12.05
5 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No Smell, No Mess, No Chemicals, April 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
One of the things I like about this fertilizer, besides the fact that it's organic, is that you can order it online. I know many people will talk about the price but we've lived places where you'd have to drive for a couple of hours to get organic fertilizer, so I appreciate that this is available on Amazon and Available with Prime.

WHAT YOU GET
-- there are different formulas of fertilizer so I'll leave that to you as to which one you choose.
-- what you should know is that the bag it comes in is very very thick plastic and there's little chance of it arriving as a mess unless someone takes a knife to the box.
-- unless you are super strong you are going to need scissors. There are two 'tear here' spots but I couldn't make any progress with them
-- the bag is NOT resealable.
-- the fertilizer I received had next to no smell. I have to get really close to the product to smell anything. My dogs could however smell it.
-- I mentioned dogs above and I should tell you that one of mine was too interested in this fertilizer. When I poured it out into the plate that I used in order to take the photos, he ran over and put his paws on the table. (Bad dog!) When I shooed him away he jumped up on a chair to try to get a better look. As a consequence I'm going to make sure that I work this into the dirt whenever I use it in one of their areas.

I'm using this with my houseplants because I don't like using chemicals and in my front garden.

Wilderness Blue Buffalo Denali Dinner Dog Biscuits, 8 oz

Halibut
Salt
Calcium Carbonate
preserved with Citric Acid and Mixed Tocopherals and Oil of Rosemary

I love the ingredients except for the chicken meal. Chicken meal is better than 'by products' and okay, I think, in a snack product that our guys aren't going to get that often.

What you get are little brown squares that are 3/8ths of an inch thick. These are a good size for our dogs who are medium-small and medium. Pippin liked them enough that the bag disappeared from the table and ended up near the back door where he was planning on taking it out into the yard to devour, without sharing with Charlene. He would have made it but the dog door wasn't in. (bad dog)

I didn't find these crumbly nor did they have a bad odor. There were about 40 in the bag. Some few were crumbled and I didn't attempt to puzzle the pieces back together. For the current price it's a better deal than some of the other biscuit type snacks that we've tried.

Sleeveless Button Up Jean Denim Jacket Vest
Sleeveless Button Up Jean Denim Jacket Vest
Offered by Khanomak
Price: $19.99 - $24.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Design but some Minor problems, April 12, 2016
My teen wanted a denim look jacket vest and because I know that this isn't going to be an item that the store will have in stock --because it's Spring!-- I decided to save myself some time hassle and shop on Amazon.

Because I shop too much on Amazon I purchased this vest in a huge size. I did this because many of the clothing items for sale on Amazon are not made with the American market in mind. Or in other words, they can run very small. Given this and the fact that teen-girl wanted an oversized version, the XXL size is what we purchased.

We selected the dark denim look. The stitching is in a copperish color which provides a nice accent. The design is nicely tailored. There's a double yoke across the back with a narrowing towards the waist. In addition there are two tabs that you can use to narrow the waist even more.

*The BIGGEST DRAWBACK that I am already noticing after only a Month of infrequent wear and one wash is that the stitches are breaking. Apparently the thread that was used is sub-par. I'll put up some photos later so you can see what I'm talking about. But under the arms the thread just disintegrated which is really unfortunate because the stitch work itself is very nice. (I'll put pics up of the nice bits too.)

A smaller drawback is where the collar folds the fabric is losing color.

SUMMARY
I'm going to fix the stitching if it becomes a problem. I think the design/style is great. This vest which we purchased to be oversized looks really cute. Like many foreign made clothes it runs considerably smaller than the designated size. If we had purchased a "Large/sometimes-medium size", as we normally would in the teen section, this vest would have been way too small. The XXL fits like a roomy Large.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Outward Hound Kyjen 32136 Invincibles Tough Seamz Durable Tough Squeaking Dog Toy, Gecko, 4 Squeakers
Price: $11.96
7 used & new from $10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars RUGGED but not Indestructable, April 12, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Pip The Destroyer is one of 'those dogs'. A dog who rips and shreds and generally trashes dog toys and balls in short order. He can skin a tennis ball type squeaker with great skill; pulling out the squeaker and denuding the rubber of it's fuzzy yellow skin. I mean, he may be a poodle but he's a 40 pound poodle and he's got the thickest, heaviest build I've ever seen on the breed. So, I was thinking, squeaky-toy, beware.

Pippin immediately took to this toy. We tossed... and he returned. We pulled... and he tugged (defeating all but my husband as he's strong). He liked the texture and loved the squeak. Good strong squeaks.

While we were playing he didn't do any damage to this toy. It's very tug and play friendly. For you I let him carry it off and lay and explore it on his own. Needless to say that after about 10 minutes he had chewed off a piece. But it was only a small piece and happily there was no toy-fluff strewn across the room.

SUMMARY
Pip is a toy destroyer and he did manage to chew off a bit of the outer edge before I decided that was enough. I RECOMMEND this toy despite that because it is well constructed and there is no fluff. I've put this toy up where he can't reach it because it's fun to play with and he likes it. This way we can play in the future; and this is what I suggest you do to. Have fun with the toy but don't leave it with Destroyers.

Construction: Well constructed. Pip's naughty work allowed me to discover how this toy was made. What you get are sewn on eyes; so nothing to swallow. There the fuzzy outer fabric (perfect for absorbing dog spit and getting nice and stiff) but beneath that the squeakers are sandwiched between layers of sturdy woven black fabric. As you can see from the company's photos there is a double stitched black boarder. This border helps to protect the other parts of the toy. It's sewn with a thread that thick enough you could call it cord.

Louis Bolduc: His Family and His House
Louis Bolduc: His Family and His House
by Carl J. Ekberg
20 used & new from $19.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Intrigued by Early American French Log Construction?, April 11, 2016
THE BOOK
If I can squeeze in a quick comment about the book's construction, let me say that the paper appears to be of good quality. In fact, while reading it I kept trying to 'separate' the pages because they always seemed double thick.

THE CONTENT

CARL EKBERG is probably America's best living author of American history. Or if not the pinnacle, certainly in the top handful. His writing is wonderful and if it's topped by anything it is his knowledge of this area of early American history.

The focus of his works that I have read involve the French/French Creoles in the Ste. Genevieve area. If you are intrigued at all by the notion of French customs and lives in the early Americas by all means look at his other works. COLONIAL STE. GENEVIEVE (ISBN 1880397145) and STEALING INDIAN WOMEN: Native Slavery in the Illinois Country (ISBN 025203208X) changed forever my understanding of early American history and how it might have been better if we had been less British and perhaps a bit more French.

In any case, read those books and not this one.

I say to read the others because this book has a particularly narrow focus and purpose and it's a book that (in my estimation) is going to appeal to people who are already familiar with the Ste. Genevieve story, or who are visiting tourists.

In fact, it was commissioned, and as such it is very much of a promotional piece. 'Piece' here being the fascinating Bolduc home. Yes, there is a short history of Louis Bolduc and his descendants. In fact, there is a genealogy.

Cutting to the chase...

THE GOOD
-- A well written and brief history of a community where French laws and customs existed for a long while.
-- Interesting information about the Bolduc home and homes in the area. The book may seem long at close to 200 pages, but in fact only the first 60 or so pages are Ekberg's writing. The rest consists of pictures of the home, diagrams, and the genealogy.

I loved reading and understanding more about the French log cabin construction. Unlike the horizontal style favored by your Daniel Boone, the French laid their logs on end, which is to say, vertically on sills.

-- The stories of the lives of the families was touching. And I always am struck by the infant mortality and the frequency with which women conceived. (The two are probably related.)

THE BAD
-- Being commissioned by the Colonial Dames of America might have dulled Carl's pen. Maybe not but I was struck by the glossing over of a marriage that had to take place because a 14 year old girl was knocked up. Normally I would expect Mr. Ekberg to just say this, instead the wording was left as 'married someone 20 years his junior... baby joined them shortly'. (Oh, the olden times.)

-- The only other bad thing are the photos. And I don't understand this. The Dames use very nice paper and yet they really drag the whole book down by using extremely muddy black-and-white photos. And old photos at that. Now I'm going to have to go and take my own color photos.

SUMMARY
There is wonderful-ness therein, but this isn't a book (again in my estimation) that is going to be for the causal reader. If you are going to be playing tourist in that area, then pick it up; but generally the other books I referenced would be where I suggest you start if you want to learn about this still vague and mysterious piece of American history.

~purchased

Lab Girl
Lab Girl
by Hope Jahren
Price: $16.17
73 used & new from $11.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the Perfect Blend of Memoir and Science, April 11, 2016
This review is from: Lab Girl (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first chapter of LAB GIRL grabbed me. As I read I kept saying/thinking... THIS. This being what it was like being a young woman in the sciences in the last century. The author did a fabulous job of encapsulating what a stupid chavinistic environment existed; how we limited an entire half of the population from being themselves and contributing to the world. (To her credit she is rarely downbeat. There's always a sense of progress and the potential for great and good things just around the corner.)

That done, you need not worry about the rest of the book having the same tone or theme. From that point on there is an exciting array of experiences that Hope shares with us. Everything from her wanging on equipment to get it to work to her experience being a college student who was busy in the basement of a hospital mixing up chemical cocktails. (Really, amateurs doing this. Quite scary.)

There are personal insights and reflections, and there is science. And one thing I can tell you is that this woman can write. She has the rare ability to conjure up the right words to not only explain complex phenomena, but to make them sound simple and accessible.

I really enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. A good blend of memoir and science.

Wisk Deep Clean Liquid Laundry Detergent, High Efficiency Compatible, 50 Ounces/33 Loads, FFP (Pack of 2)
Price: $10.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Less Scented than before - Works Great, April 8, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have used WISK in the past but not lately. It cleaned fine in the past but was a little too fragrant for my family because we tend to be scent sensitive.

This new WISK seems to be a different formulation. I say this because it's not as strongly scented as the older product I remember. I had no problem using it on our daily clothing; but continued to use our scentless Tide on our bed linens. And it does seem to work as described. It got some stinkiness from a certain young household members gym clothes. (Can't wait to use it on their sneakers)

The only other note I would add, because it struck me as odd, is how high the current price seems. (And usually I don't comment because prices can vary wildly.) But right now I can order the the same two-pack of Tide from Pantry for half the price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20