Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for The Invisible Pam > Reviews

Browse

The Invisible Pam's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3316
Top Reviewer Ranking: 305

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

The Invisible Pam "(Pam)" RSS Feed

by Wendy Gamber
Price: $34.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Historical/Academic Account, June 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I enjoyed this book. The author, Wendy Gamber, knows her stuff. It's obvious that she is familiar not only with the details of the crimes but also with the politics and history of the time in which they took place.

I think it's important to make this latter point because in my judgement the person who is going to really get the most out of this book is the one who is interested in the history of the post-war years (taking Civil War here) versus one who is looking for a crime thriller. I actually became bored with the actual trial --and freely admit that one of my problems was that I didn't make a serious enough attempt to memorize all the 'characters' as they were introduced in the beginning. And this is just one of those books with lots and lots of people coming and going; many of them related in one way or another. So my bad. I just didn't realize that I needed to do so as it didn't occur to me that the case would spread so far afield.

THAT said, I did not get at all bored with the details of the time. I learned a lot about what happened after the Civil War that I did not know previously, and this information was integrated into the story of the murders as well as the growth of Indianapolis and it's cities.

That Ms. Gamber understands those times is clear from the intricate details of city life and community life that she shares.

SUMMARY
There are many ways you can approach this book. You can glean it for the interesting insight that's provided into the post-war years; or you can follow the story of Mrs. Clem and trial. There are political, social, gender and financial aspects to explore. You should know though that as a trial book it is very detailed and the writing is what I would expect from a promising PhD. There is no attempt to glamorize either victims nor perps. She just tells it like it was.

Meaningful Beauty Ultra Lifting and Filling Treatment, 1 fl. oz
Meaningful Beauty Ultra Lifting and Filling Treatment, 1 fl. oz
Price: $72.00

4.0 out of 5 stars It Works, June 23, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This actually worked. I couldn't be more surprised.

WHAT IT DID
---------------------
What the Lifting and Filling fluid did was reduce small lines. It doesn't work on anything major like those creases above the nose or around the mouth. It does diminish those tiny lines.

TOUCH AND FEEL
----------------------------
I did NOT like the feel of this on my face. It is sticky and you'll have to wear make-up over it or you will look exceedingly 'dewy' as we say in the South. Since I'm a mom who goes with minimal make-up this means that I'll be breaking this out only for special occasions.

I also want to note that I have very-very sensitive skin and this fluid did not irritate my skin.

SUMMARY
Much to my amazement this Guthy Renker product worked to reduce the appearance of small lines. Because it leaves you looking glossy it's not a product that I would use on a daily basis because I don't wear much in the way of makeup. I would use it though on special occasions like family photo shoots or parties. I would not pay a ridiculous price for it.

My skin is easily irritated and I had no problem with this product. If you're sensitive like me do test it out first on the inside of your wrist and elbow.

Coleman Northern Nova Propane Lantern with Case
Coleman Northern Nova Propane Lantern with Case
Price: $104.99
20 used & new from $101.63

3.0 out of 5 stars I Like It and Yet..., June 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Ack. Totally divided about this Coleman product. On the one hand it is a great idea and I'm glad to have it around for emergencies and to use outside. The lantern does make a very bright light. On some other hands though there are some looming problems.

WHAT YOU MIGHT WANT TO KNOW
-----------------------------------------------------
THIS WAS ODD to put together and I think you will have to read the instructions in order to stay safe.
--The mantles aren't like oil lamp mantles but are more like wide mesh/net sacks that you place around burners.
--The glass cylinder doesn't sit in a balanced way until you put the other parts into place. This is not something you could ever use with 'light' camping.
--You have to burn the mantles before using them. YES, you have to use matches to burn the wide mesh/net sacks. My husband was burning one when the other decided it didn't want to be left out and it caught on fire and burnt itself.

NOTE: You absolutely must NOT USE the lantern if the mantles develop a hole. The mantle that decided to burn itself developed a hole. Against the Manufacturer's Instructions we used the lantern long enough to finish our testing. That done we now find that we cannot use the lantern until we purchase more mantles.

--I assume we are burning the mantles to burn something off of them. I have no problems with that. However, if in burning the mantles you damage half of them so that you can't use the lantern... well, that's a potential problem.

Another thing you should know is that the base of the lantern takes up over a foot of area if you want to place it on the ground or a picnic table.

Finally, one thing to be careful and cognizant of is the screw mechanism. The propane tanks are, of course, steel. The partner piece of the lantern is not steel but aluminum. You must absolutely be careful of threading the two together. If you aren't careful the steel 'treads' will just destroy the aluminum ones. I know this because I am not a careful threader and this is why we needed a new lantern.

SUMMARY
This Coleman Lantern puts out a good amount of light and I love that it uses the little propane canisters. We always have the canisters around and that should allow us to be ready for emergencies and sudden outdoor parties down by the pool.

One thing that became obvious is that we're going to have to have plenty of mantles around as I believe Coleman when they say it's a safety concern to use the lantern after the mantles develop a hole. Since we don't even know how the one mantle developed a hole I have to guess that they are fragile.

The Devourers
The Devourers
by Indrapramit Das
Price: $19.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Not For Everyone, June 18, 2016
This review is from: The Devourers (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
THE DEVOURERS is not going to be for everyone. I say that because there are lots of small elements of the story that some folk are going to find offensive. Whether it be in the areas of Sexual Content and Preferences, Language, Religion and/or Gender, I found someone in my reading circle that the content of this book was going to keep me from suggesting it to them. Personally, I wasn't offended, but I tend to 'sink' into the story and let the world and the character's opinions wash over me. So no problem there.

As for the story, it is interesting enough, although slowly and deliberately paced. Fans of Ann Rice books I would think would really get into the world-building and story; but don't let that fact scare you off. This is an interesting story with a fresh approach.

L'Oreal Paris Revitalift Bright Reveal Dual Overnight Moisturizer, 1 Ounce
L'Oreal Paris Revitalift Bright Reveal Dual Overnight Moisturizer, 1 Ounce
Price: $17.61
2 used & new from $17.61

4.0 out of 5 stars No Moisturizing but Improved Looks, June 14, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Okay, I definitely saw an improvement in my skin's tone. I'm not sure if "bright" is the word I'd choose but my complexion seems more even and pleasant.

Two things to note about me. I'm a (really) older mom and I have super sensitive skin. Many things irritate my skin and I didn't notice a problem with this serum. If I did it would probably be as a result of excessive dryness -- I experienced some dryness-- and I would probably just apply every other day.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE is that if you are using this product that you need to stay out of the sun. It's not mentioned as of this moment on the product page but it's on the box. So not a Summer product.

SUMMARY
I did notice an improvement in my skin's tone. I subtracted a star because my skin was drier after using this product. No moisturizing effect for me. I had to apply a moisturizer upon awakening.

Sleep Master Memory Foam Mattress Topper, King
Sleep Master Memory Foam Mattress Topper, King
Price: $205.15
2 used & new from $199.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Suggest for Side-Sleepers with Hip Pain, June 14, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This isn't going to be an easy review but I hope I can express myself well enough so that it will be useful to others and fair to the product --because it is by no means a bad product. It's actually put together very well.

WHAT YOU GET
=============================
-- The mattress topper actually arrives in a medium sized box. I was amazed. My husband had no problem taking it upstairs, and if-push-came-to-shove I could have managed it myself.
-- You need (theoretically, and according to instructions) to open the box within 72 hours and let it lay out for 48. We did that. We used the floor in a spare bedroom.
-- I cannot comment on smell. Everyone in the family (although it's June!) have a cold.
-- The topper was easy to move from one room to another. This experience is very much different than another topper we had which was really heavy and awkward. One of the reasons that the Sleep Master Topper was easy to move was that you don't have 'raw' foam. There is a covering on both sides. This means that you don't have to deal with that 'raw' foam stickiness. Really a nice product in that respect.
-- We put ours on top of our mattress and under the anti-liquid/anti-bedbug cover that we had. It is about 4 inches thick.

MY HUSBAND'S OBSERVATIONS
=============================
-- he's not a man of many words when it comes to products like this. He said he liked it better than our last Topper. Not only that it was more attractive, but it didn't make him feel trapped. HE HAS SLEPT VERY WELL.

MY OBSERVATIONS
=============================
REASON I Wanted one: I was surprised that in discussing Mattress Toppers with other Viner members that many older women (not old, just older moms) have hip and shoulder pain: I had so much pain. This pain, they've found, can be eliminated or greatly reduced by the proper topper. I am one of these. About 2 years ago I thought I was going to need hip replacement. Then I had a partial knee replacement (which had probably been contributing to hip pain) and I got a thick Topper for our bed. Haven't had a problem with my hips since. An amazing and welcome recovery.

Then though the topper that I had began falling apart. It was definitely not as nicely manufactured as this Sleep Master one from Zinus and it began developing tears. So I needed another Topper.... And this Topper is not the one I-personally need. It is not solving the problem. Ands far as I can discern, the reason for it not being perfect for me is that the topper is too dense and consequently too hard to give me relief. My hip pain is back and I can't sleep. Not sure what to do next. I miss my squishy marshmallow topper.

SUMMARY
Pretty and useful Mattress Topper. It is so much nicer in appearance than our old one which was ugly bare foam.

My husband likes this topper and feels that it's perfect for him. Unfortunately, with my unique problems it's not 'working' for me. AND IF you have hip pain like I described I wouldn't recommend you get this. I think we side-sleeping hip-problem people need one with a less dense foam --and I wish their was a industry rating system.

Otherwise RECOMMEND for normal folks. This topper is not too hot and it's attractive and easy to put into place. A nice way to upgrade an older bed set.

Caterpillar Men's Dl Shorts, Black, 32
Caterpillar Men's Dl Shorts, Black, 32

5.0 out of 5 stars The 32 Fit True to Size, June 10, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Long shorts aren't everyone's gig but if you like a longer look you should know that these are very well made.

OBSERVATIONS
================
-- They come in a very sturdy fabric with wide belt loops. The loops not only accommodate wide belts, but they are also wide material-wise, being 3/4-inch wide and about 3 inches long.

-- Our teen boy is a stick so a belt isn't really necessary for him. For older men it's nice that there 6 belt loops plus an emblem patch loop at the back. By emblem patch I mean that there is one of those super-wide belt loops -- 2.5 inches-- with the CAT brand symbol on it. This symbol consists of plastic 'badge' that I'll take a picture of it.

-- Teen boy is a size 32 and 5'10" and these fit like they do on the model. The waist is neither loose nor tight and the length hits just above the knee.

-- The front pockets have binding on the edge which adds some style and should help with wear. These are full sized pockets.

-- The back pockets are also full sized and they have velcro closures so you won't lose your stuff. They will fit most cell phones.

-- There is a long 'slide' pocket on the right hand side. It has no velcro. On the other leg there are two pockets: a big one with a smaller one sewn onto it. Both of these have flaps with velcro closures and are made of a different fabric which has a slightly shiny element. The smaller pocket is about 4.5 inches in depth and about 2.75 inches wide. It also has a rubberized CAT emblem/badge on it. The larger pocket is about 7x6.5 inches.

SUMMARY
These are really well made. Binding tape is used on the front pockets and the waistband. All the other seams are zig-zag bound. Sturdy. If long shorts with good sized belt loops and some branding are your style you should consider these.

**note: use one of those 'color catcher' sheets. When I washed these the 'catcher' caught some black dye.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Franklin Sports Football Tabletop
Franklin Sports Football Tabletop
Price: $3.62
4 used & new from $3.62

1.0 out of 5 stars Will Have to Glue These Onto Something to Get Them to Stand Up :(, June 10, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What you get is what you see in the product images. The parts to make two goal posts, a marker, and a cute tiny football.

This might have been fun if the suction cups worked-- at all. They are really small and made out of a hard plastic that would never ever work to create a suction-- even with spit. I see that it worked for others so maybe ours just came from a 'bad factory'.

Don't Recommend unless your willing to glue the posts to some wood squares; which is what we're doing. The nice thing about this method is that you can play without needing a smooth surface.
Comment Comment | Permalink

For Dog's Sake!: A Simple Guide to Protecting Your Pup from Unsafe Foods, Everyday Dangers, and Bad Situations
by Amy Luwis
Price: $12.39
63 used & new from $4.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Kid-Friendly Too, June 7, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great little book that should probably be on every dog owner's shelves. I say that because while the great and lengthy tomes on breeds and dog health are wonderful to have, it's always good to have a quick reference that you can pick up when emergencies and questions arise. This is that book.

Written by a long-time vet, FOR DOG'S SAKE! covers food, sticks, chemicals, poop, snakes and spiders, decorations and holidays as well as how to do the Doggy Heimlich Maneuver --amongst other things. And while this sounds like it might be a lot of reading, it isn't at all. Amy Luwis writes in a clear cut way and what's even better, there are adorable drawings to accompany the text.

This would be a great gift for a new dog owner. It doesn't cover all dog owners need to know, but consider it the quick start instructions to keep dog and puppy safe.

Maybelline New York Lip Studio Lip Color Palette, 0.14 Ounce
Maybelline New York Lip Studio Lip Color Palette, 0.14 Ounce
Price: $11.99
2 used & new from $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Pretty, June 3, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I didn't get to keep this palette for long. As soon as my teendaughter saw it the begging began. And I caved.

OBSERVATIONS
-- very soft. You can apply this with a pre-washed finger or the little brush that comes along with it.
-- the softness means it's fantastically easy to blend your own shade.
-- somewhat sticky feeling at first
-- I sort of wish it had a mirror because you need to apply every so often
-- the case doesn't fly open. I'd rather have a case that's a tad difficult to get open than one that flies open in my handbag.
-- the fact that the lipstick is soft means that it is easy to blend

SUMMARY
Pretty colors. There's no bad colors here and the reason is that you can always use them to mix up a new color. For example, I am not a deep winey-purple girl, but I did so use that shade to darken up one of the lighter pinks to match an outfit I was wearing.

My daughter and her friends went crazy over this palette. I'm hoping they put it on Subscribe and Save because it's a great way to have a wide range of shades.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20