Profile for Book Fanatic > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 345

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Book Fanatic RSS Feed (Houston, TX, United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Belkin Apple MFi Certified Lightning to USB ChargeSync Cable for iPhone 5 / 5S / 5c, iPad 4th Gen, iPad mini, and iPod touch 7th Gen, 4 Feet (Green)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Lightening Cable, August 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the 4th Belkin lightning cable I've owned and it is well built, sturdy, and 4 Ft long which is a huge improvement over the standard Apple cable. The ONLY thing I don't like about the Belkin cables is that they are a little stiffer and not as flexible as the Apple cable. The length more than makes up for that.

Recommended

A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal
A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal
by Ben Macintyre
Price: $17.08
66 used & new from $12.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, August 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book about Kim Philby who was possibly the most damaging cold war spy ever for the Soviet Union is fascinating and compelling. The access he had through friendships (thus the title) and through his high-level position in MI6 is astounding and makes his betrayal the terrifically damaging case it was. I found the man fascinating and appalling at the same time. I can't imagine what he was doing and that he really believed in it. Possibly it was being a spy that drove him more than communist ideology. Whatever the case this is a terrific book and highly recommended. Very well written. Keeps you interested to the very end.

Haggar Men's Regular Fit Poplin Long Sleeve Pattern Dress Shirt, Slate Blue, 16.5(34/35)
Price: $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Comfortable, August 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This shirt is made of very comfortable material. It is soft and it fits me perfectly. It didn't shrink after washing and held its shape. Good shirt. Recommended.

Belkin MIXIT Car Charger with Lightning Cable for iPhone 5 / 5S / 5c, iPad 4th Gen, iPad mini, iPod touch 5th Gen, and iPod nano 7th Gen (2.1 Amp / 10 Watt), Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Adapter/Cable w/Long Cable, August 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm surprised at some of the negative reviews here as the cable and adapter both seem like good quality. There is not a whole lot you can say about a product like this because either it works or it doesn't. I have a previous Belkin Car Charger that has lasted a couple of years without issue and fits lighter outlets in my cars without issue. So far this seems to be the same. The plug on the lightening end is wider than that standard Apple cable but it still fits in our Life Proof cases so that is not an issue. The 4 ft cable is great.

Recommended.

The End of Absence: Reclaiming What We’ve Lost in a World of Constant Connection
by Michael Harris
Price: $19.02
42 used & new from $12.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Read, August 18, 2014
This is a reasonably good book about what we've lost in our always connected world. The author's answer is the relatively obvious "absence (of connection)". Despite the rather awkward title the book is a decent dive into what this means and the author's own experience with it. This is a quick and easy read as the book is rather small. It makes one think but it doesn't rise to the level of something like "The Shallows" by Carr, but still it is a thoughtful read and worth the effort. One interesting aspect of the book is the author's observation we have a generation or two of people (of which he is one) now living that have experienced life with and without the Internet and that it those people are going to soon disappear and nobody will have experienced the absence he mourns. I'm one of those and while I wouldn't give it back I get the point and find myself less enamored by the always connected world than most of the younger generations. I do think we have truly lost something.

Recommended.

Consciousness and the Brain: Deciphering How the Brain Codes Our Thoughts
Consciousness and the Brain: Deciphering How the Brain Codes Our Thoughts
by Stanislas Dehaene
Price: $20.50
72 used & new from $6.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Research on Conscious Processing in the Brain, August 16, 2014
This is a book about what brain signatures (from EEG, fMRI, or others) are associated with conscious thoughts. That doesn't sound that interesting but actually it turns out to be fascinating. The author also briefly ventures into the topics of consciousness among babies, animals, and machines.

If you are interested in the brain you will probably enjoy this book. I did, however I'm not as enthusiastic about it as most of the other reviewers.

Gorky Park (Arkady Renko, No. 1)
Gorky Park (Arkady Renko, No. 1)
by Martin Cruz Smith
Price: $12.02
97 used & new from $0.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Thriller, August 14, 2014
This is just a great book that I read decades ago and just recently reread. It's a little outdated in that it was written before the Soviet Union collapsed and thus may be an unfamiliar context to younger people. However, it is still a fantastic book. A classic and highly recommended thriller.

War of the Whales: A True Story
War of the Whales: A True Story
by J. Horwitz
Price: $17.71
67 used & new from $10.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Important and Informative, August 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book is very important and provides critical information about what is happening to the whales from the navy sonar work. This is definitely a go-to source on this topic. The problem is the narrative is less dramatic and too detailed because it digresses into what I consider irrelevant topics (such as too much biographical detail). This material could have been weaved into the story in much less detail. The book tries to do too much and thus suffers in readability.

HOWEVER, I still highly recommend the book because the story that needs to be told (minus the irrelevant details) can be gleaned from the book and it is that important to anyone who cares about our natural environment. Could have been better but still a good book and the story it contains needs to be told.

Belkin Grip Candy Sheer Case / Cover for iPhone 5 and 5S (Clear / Blacktop)
Belkin Grip Candy Sheer Case / Cover for iPhone 5 and 5S (Clear / Blacktop)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Done iPhone Case, August 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've tried a number of different cases for my iPhone 5 and I like this one. It has a nice feel that is not ribbed but it is also not slippery. It is quite slim and has a sheer back so the color is only around the edge. I've dropped my phone on hard surfaces multiple times and the rubbery case has absorbed the shock each time. Good inexpensive case.

Recommend.

Hell Yeah (Album Version)
Hell Yeah (Album Version)
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It., August 5, 2014
Love this song. This is the first song by Rev Theory I've heard. It's a great pump you up type song.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20