Profile for Book Fanatic > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 351

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Book Fanatic RSS Feed (Houston, TX, United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Move Your DNA: Restore Your Health Through Natural Movement
Move Your DNA: Restore Your Health Through Natural Movement
by Katy Bowman
Price: $16.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Different and Very Practical, September 19, 2014
This book gets 5 stars from me primarily because of its fascinatingly different approach to structural health. The theory part of the book is actually quite short and easy to read. It makes sense although I have no way to know if it stands up to scientific scrutiny. The rest of the book is exercises, although its not really exercise in the way you might think.

The author basically argues that we don't move our bodies with the kind of variety they were designed for and that while working out is better than not, those typical kind of fitness exercise programs create unbalanced and damaging results as well, Cross training is better than focusing on one exercise but still doesn't fully move our tissue thoroughly and in the right ratios.

While there are a LOT of different movements to absorb and one must frequently reference this book to keep up, this seems like a radically different approach that might actually work. It makes a lot of sense.

Highly recommended.

Cuisinart CPO-600 Alfrescamore Portable Outdoor Pizza Oven
Cuisinart CPO-600 Alfrescamore Portable Outdoor Pizza Oven
Price: $299.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Nice Outdoor Pizza Oven, September 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This pizza oven is fairly bulky for making only 12" pizzas, but i makes great pizzas! I think this oven would be great for parties with everyone cooking up there own personal pizzas. You can get small camping type propane tanks for it or you can use an adapter and connect it to a standard portable tank like used for grilling. There is a pizza guide to help you make the perfect pizza.

This is not a cute little oven. It is a good sized pretty heavy appliance. Look at the pictures and dimensions. But that and the smaller pizza size is really the only negative. Otherwise it looks very well built, seems to be high-quality, and most importantly of all it makes great pizza.

Recommended

The Myth of Mirror Neurons: The Real Neuroscience of Communication and Cognition
by Gayle Hickok
Price: $17.04
55 used & new from $13.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Take on Both Science and Mirror Neurons, September 16, 2014
While the subject of the book is mirror neurons and you get an good explanation of claims being made for them as well as the evidence or lack thereof for such claims, you also get a nice example of how science works. I was interested in the book because I have heard so much about mirror neurons and I wanted to understand what they were really all about. However, I found myself drawn to the author's contrary view which is very well articulated and argued.

I think people interested in the brain and science in general will enjoy this book, but if the idea of a book about a very specific topic within neuroscience doesn't sound appealing, you probably aren't going to like it. Otherwise I easily recommend it.

The Power of No: Because One Little Word Can Bring Health, Abundance, and Happiness
by James Altucher
Price: $11.35
44 used & new from $7.98

3.0 out of 5 stars A Mixed Bag of a Book, September 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First let me be clear that there are quite a number of wise ideas (in my opinion) contained within this book. Secondly the concept is one that I couldn't agree with more - "NO" is a very powerful and much underutilized tool. Unfortunately much of the wisdom is buried in excessive narratives of the author's own experiences which quite frankly I found boring and unhelpful. I found myself saying "NO" quite frequently. There is a good amount of woo and fluff poured into its pages as well. This book is not long and can be ready quite quickly (especially if you skim the fluff like I did).

I think the authors seriously misrepresent science and display incredible hyperbole with statements like this "Everyone is wrong almost all of the time". Well now then I guess "almost all" of the advice and claims made in this book are wrong then unless this statement itself is wrong which then means I guess the book may not be wrong. I don't know. I get a headache trying to think about. I say "NO" to authors making such obviously self refuting pronouncements from on high.

There is a chapter called "The Ultimate Secret to Raising Your Vibration". I couldn't concentrate on it because my mind kept wandering to those old days in my youth (many decades ago) when some motels had beds that you could put same change in and get some vibration. I'm happy for authors and all their failures and successes but be prepared for a good bit of this stuff.

It sounds like I hated it so then why did I give it 3 stars? Well for one thing, I love books and find some value in most of them. Like I said at the beginning of this review there is wisdom contained within the pages but you have to work through a lot of verbiage to extract those nuggets. It is not a difficult or long read so if you know what you are getting into then go for it. The first few pages lay out the "NO Bill of Rights" and that is the short version of the book.

Breaking the Free Will Illusion for the Betterment of Humankind
Breaking the Free Will Illusion for the Betterment of Humankind
by Trick Slattery
Price: $13.04
8 used & new from $13.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly Good Book on Free Will, September 10, 2014
I say "surprisingly" because I've never heard of this book or author. It is not ranked high in sales and has only one review. I really didn't expect much from it but it turns out I was wrong and thus very pleasantly surprised.

Slattery uses logic and reason in a philosophical argument to show that free will is just an illusion. He does briefly mention a few studies in neuroscience that support this lack of free will, however the book doesn't try to use evidence (which is mostly lacking anyway). That doesn't detract from the powerful argument found in this book. Slattery builds the argument in a very clear and logical approach that is amazingly accessible to lay readers. In my mind that makes this book different than any other I have ever read on the subject.

I do feel that it is a bit repetitive (something the author acknowledges). Slattery attempts to cover virtually every attack on free will he has heard or can imagine and he basically duplicates the material in each chapter in a dialogue at the end of each. So at times I tired of what is basically the same argument over and over. BUT I didn't deduct any stars for this because for some people this may all be helpful and of course one can skim.

One thing I found particularly helpful was something I have struggled with for a long, long time. That being how we can actually acquire knowledge if we don't have free will. I first encountered the argument in the writings of Nathaniel Branden and found it powerful. This book helped my solidify my thinking in this area and I'm much better off for it.

Slattery covers both the argument against free will very thoroughly and then adds what he refers to as the psychology of free will. The fact that basically we all have the illusion of free will and it seems intuitively correct. He goes into decent depth about the impact of that psychology. I found it very interesting if somewhat naïve in certain places about human nature and economics.

I highly recommend this book to any thinking person. I personally was able to give up my belief in free will over a very long period of time but it wasn't easy. I think if I had encountered this book at the beginning the process would have been much faster. Well done!

The Killer Department
The Killer Department
by Robert Cullen
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
33 used & new from $5.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book About an Evil Killer in Russia, September 8, 2014
This is a good book about Andrei Chikatilo who was Russia's most prolific serial killer and one of the worst serial killers anywhere anytime. This book also contains a lot of insights into Russia and the criminal justice system there in the 80's. A lot of the focus in the book is on the detective who spent 8 years hunting the killer.

The book at times is a little dry and matter of fact but the killer and the material is so interesting the story makes up for that.

Recommended.

BLACK+DECKER BDH2020FLFH MAX Lithium Flex Vacuum with Stick Vacuum Floor Head and Pet Hair Brush, 20-volt
Price: $129.99
18 used & new from $129.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy, Well Built, Compact, and Good Looking, September 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This cordless handheld vacuum is only a little suction short of 5 stars. I like everything about this vacuum except for the fact it is a little light on suction. That probably is just an expectation issue. If you realize you are getting a handheld for light cleanup and not the main vacuum then this is a great idea. It is quite compact, and appears to be well built. It's simple to put together and extremely easy to clean - open the lid and dump it out. Well done.

Recommended.

The Disease Delusion: Conquering the Causes of Chronic Illness for a Healthier, Longer, and Happier Life
by Jeffrey Bland
Price: $17.07
70 used & new from $11.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Book, but a Few Issues, September 5, 2014
I really liked this book and I think it is valuable and a worthwhile read. His overall points and emphasis are spot on. He emphasizes the complex relationships between various systems and components and how impacting anything directly can have indirect impacts elsewhere. In addition Bland offers questionnaires for self-appraisal and specific and practical recommendations.

This is all outstanding and I think the future any real practical measures to treat chronic disease and to maintain optimal health. He does have what I consider some unsubstantiated ideas such as repeatedly dissing saturated fat or seemingly ignorant of the placebo controlled studies showing the ineffectiveness of acupuncture. Regardless this is an outstanding book and highly recommended.

Epson Expression Photo XP-860 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner and Copier
Offered by TheFactoryDepot
Price: $310.45
3 used & new from $276.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Color Printer, September 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Epson printer is compact and that is an excellent feature that I really like. The paper trays are little weird and take getting used to but once you do there is not problem. Extremely easy to set up and everything is working perfectly. Color printing of photos is excellent and general color printing is good. I like the 6 color feature.

The on-screen menu is super simple and easy to use. Copying and printing speeds are good. Scanning to a computer or to any place in the cloud is simply excellent. Overall a very good printer at a good price. Recommended.

Happiness by Design: Change What You Do, Not How You Think
Happiness by Design: Change What You Do, Not How You Think
by Paul Dolan
Price: $18.90
53 used & new from $12.39

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not just another happiness book, August 31, 2014
I took the title of my review from the first sentence of the Amazon book description because it captures what is different about this book. I've ready many of the "Happiness" popular books and this one is different. I got tired of reading basically the same thing over and over so I haven't been too interested them any longer. For that reason I give this book 5 stars.

This book by Paul Dolan is not scintillating reading. It is fairly short (around 200 pages of text) and gets to the points fairly succinctly. He has a nice combination of scientific studies, his own theory, and intuitive common sense in his book. Dolan has a somewhat different idea about what makes us happy and he has less value for the mindfulness / change your thoughts type happiness ideas and instead suggests we get happier by changing what we DO instead of what we THINK.

He proposes a pleasure-pain / purpose-pointlessness two-factor theory of happiness. He also emphasizes what we pay attention to which is not the same thing as changing your thoughts but it is related. This is basically a 4 star book that gets a big bump to 5 stars because it dares to be different.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20