Profile for Book Fanatic > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 390

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Book Fanatic RSS Feed (Houston, TX, United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Phantom Killer: Unlocking the Mystery of the Texarkana Serial Murders: The Story of a Town in Terror
by James Presley
Price: $21.13
43 used & new from $16.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling and Informative, December 15, 2014
I'm giving this book five stars even though I really have no way of knowing how reliable is any of the information contained inside. The story itself is compelling to any true crime fan. I have never heard of the story and enjoyed it immensely. Whether or not the real killer is the person identified by the author I feel I have learned a lot.

The fact that the murders stopped after the suspect was arrested and nobody knew he was a suspect in the murders including the cops until after he was arrested seems to me more than coincidental. The fact that he was never charged doesn't mean there aren't good reasons to believe he was guilty.

I did think the author went a bit too far at the end with his psychologizing about motives and reasons. If there is one thing I'm sure we can only speculate about at this point in the science, it is human motivation.

Recommended.

Chemical Guys WAC_201_16 - Vintage Series Butter Wet Wax (16 oz)
Chemical Guys WAC_201_16 - Vintage Series Butter Wet Wax (16 oz)
Price: $18.57
2 used & new from $18.00

4.0 out of 5 stars First Impression is Outstanding, December 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I would like to give this five stars but I'm only giving it four because I have not had enough time to see how long it lasts and I won't remember to come update this review in 3 months. So with that caveat I must say this looks like a great car wax. It is so easy to apply and buff off that if "work" is a concern of yours then this is a great product. It simply is easier to use than other waxes I have tried. I put it on a fairly new car and it looks fantastic. How it will look in three months remains to be seen but for now it's superb. Highly recommended for lazy people like me who still want a great result.

Freshware KT-504 9-in-1 Salad Spinner Set with Mandoline Slicer and Storage Lid
Freshware KT-504 9-in-1 Salad Spinner Set with Mandoline Slicer and Storage Lid
Price: $22.65
2 used & new from $20.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and Not So Good, December 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an inexpensive set that is small and compact and allows you to store everything together. So if those kind of things are your criteria this is probably the set for you. However it is somewhat flimsy. It says dishwasher safe on the top shelf but it recommends hand washing. I would hand wash it because it feels like the type of plastic that is going to warp. It is extremely convenient and does what it is supposed to do so go for it if you are price or size conscious. If you are going for high-quality look elsewhere.

SKLZ Pro Mini Basketball Hoop - Glow In The Dark
SKLZ Pro Mini Basketball Hoop - Glow In The Dark
Price: $34.99
3 used & new from $30.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Mini Basketball Set, December 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice mini basketball set. It's seems very sturdy and hangs perfectly on a door. The glow in the dark aspect is OK, but is not real bright but it works anyway. Quality product that is actually a lot of fun.

L'Occitane Immortelle Divine Eyes, 0.5 fl. oz.
L'Occitane Immortelle Divine Eyes, 0.5 fl. oz.
Price: $76.00
2 used & new from $76.00

4.0 out of 5 stars My Wife Loves It, December 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Being a man I obviously have zero opinion about this product so I will tell you what my wife said about it. She would give it five stars but since I don't know personally I'm backing off and giving it four to be conservative.

L'Occitane is a quality brand so you should expect it to be good. She loves it and despite its expense a very small amount is all that is needed so it will last a while. She said it feels great and moisturizes well and makes her eyes look much better. Easily recommended.

The Moral Arc: How Science and Reason Lead Humanity toward Truth, Justice, and Freedom
by Michael Shermer
Price: $23.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Ambitious and Powerfully Argued, December 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an outstanding book. It is a long and ambitious book that argues that the long term moral arc is bending towards justice. Shermer defines morality as whatever leads to individual human surviving and thriving as humans. This I totally agree with.

He argues persuasively that we are living in the most moral period in human history. Regardless of what you believe in regards to specific moral principles it is pretty hard to dispute the evidence that no matter how bad you think it is now, it is much better than it used to be. The fact that people think it is so bad is to me an indication of how much improvement there has been. What we now accept as indisputable was not very long ago unimaginable. What we get so upset about now wasn't even on anyone's radar back then. This in itself is a sign of tremendous progress. Specific areas covered are slavery, women's rights, gay rights, and animal rights. He covers a lot of other ground as part of his discussion of other ideas including how much various forms of violence have decreased. I don't agree with everything in this book in regard to specifics but I find myself very much in general agreement with its main ideas.

The subtitle of the book is "How Science and Reason Lead Humanity Towards Truth, Justice, and Freedom". Shermer does an excellent job of supporting that thesis in this work. This book is generally optimistic, as I am, and I think he gives good reason for our optimism.

Shermer will probably be subjected to a lot of criticism about various specifics in this book because that is what happens when anyone attempts an ambitious work, especially if it doesn't fit within certain political narratives. However, I always appreciate these ambitious efforts and most of the critics will have done nothing comparable.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who cares about human morality and where it is going. Very well done.

Speed Limits: Where Time Went and Why We Have So Little Left
Speed Limits: Where Time Went and Why We Have So Little Left
by Mark C. Taylor
Price: $8.82
56 used & new from $8.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply Thoughtful Book, December 7, 2014
I don't agree with everything in this book but it is really an outstanding work. It is a philosophical reflection on how a number of aspects of modern life have come together in networks of speed and change. These systems feed on each other and themselves and are speeding us towards disaster or so that is the author's thesis anyway.

There is a lot of history in this book that doesn't seem absolutely necessary to the argument but helps the reader understand how we got to this point. I don't share all of the author's pessimism as virtually all doom and gloom predictions have turned out to be baseless. However, he does make an impressive case. Regardless I do agree strongly with his characterization of the current state and why it is not conducive to human thriving.

This is definitely a thinking persons book and if you are looking for time management this is not for you. Highly recommended.

Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets (Incerto)
by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Price: $9.86
195 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Read, December 7, 2014
This book like the others by Taleb is an excellent read. If you are a thinking person, especially a non-conforming one, you will find a great deal to like in this book. Taleb is obviously full of himself despite the fact he repeatedly admits he doesn't know much and well he does since that is the point of most of his writing. People either tend to love his style or hate it. He is provocative in that he provokes one to think and he doesn't mince words when describing other people he thinks are idiots. Definitely recommended.

Verso E-Reader Clip Light, Citron
Verso E-Reader Clip Light, Citron
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Book Light, December 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great little book light. It's very light weight and will clip onto an e-reader or a book. I've used it on both. The flexible head allows you to adjust it for the perfect view. The batteries do not last a long time but you can purchase them in quantity for very inexpensive price. I got a pack of 25 for $7.50 cents. I've tried other clip lights before and so far this is by far my favorite. Recommended.

Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-591G-70TG 15.6-Inch Ultra HD Laptop
Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-591G-70TG 15.6-Inch Ultra HD Laptop
Price: $1,499.99
3 used & new from $1,499.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Laptop, November 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not a gamer as such but I do play them occasionally. More importantly I do know a little about computers and I do appreciate quality. This is a high quality laptop. This beauty has a 256 MB solid state drive in addition to the 1 TB hard drive. This solid state drive allows it to boot up in less than 10 seconds. In every way it is FAST. It has 16GB of RAM and it's processors have turbo boost. The screen is beautiful. It has a matte finish and does not reflect light. The graphics are outstanding and I even pulled up some games to check. You can even use it outdoors if you want. The resolution is amazing. The keyboard is spacious and backlit with a nice red effect. The sound is very good. The black matte finish of the computer feels and looks great. So far in a couple of weeks I have found absolutely nothing not to like.

I highly recommend this outstanding laptop.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20