Profile for Book Fanatic > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 549

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Book Fanatic RSS Feed (Houston, TX, United States)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Kill Again (A Claire Waters Thriller)
Kill Again (A Claire Waters Thriller)
by Neal Baer
Price: $18.63

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Okay, May 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is not a bad book but is was not particularly compelling to me either. The biggest sin of this book is how unrealistic some parts of it are. So if you want to read it I would wait and get it from a library or at least get a less expensive digital edition.

Broken Promise: A Thriller
Broken Promise: A Thriller
by Linwood Barclay
Price: $19.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Crime Thriller, May 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very good crime thriller. It reads easily and quickly. It has an interesting plot although somewhat predictable - the clues are too easy. Reasonably well developed characters and completely believable. Some authors get carried away with almost superhuman characters, but this book's plot is easily realistic. Recommended.

Belkin MIXIT Power Pack 4000 mAh with 6-Inch Micro USB Cable for Mobile Devices (Black)
Price: $27.38
3 used & new from $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Power Pack, May 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This power pack is excellent. It will charge my iPhone 6 at least twice - maybe more but I haven't attempted any more. I have another Belkin power pack that is not nearly as powerful and this one is much better. It has two USB ports to charge two devices at once. For the price I think it is excellent and can easily recommend it.

Tailgaterz Cool-N-Carry Cooler/Organizer, Game Day Graphite
Tailgaterz Cool-N-Carry Cooler/Organizer, Game Day Graphite
Price: $27.99
8 used & new from $25.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cooler Organizer, May 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This product is just fantastic. Unfolded it holds a suprising amount of items. You can unfolded it just use the cooler and keep the side bins folded or unfold them for more storage. This is made of high quality and fairly heavy material and folds to a very small size. The cooler is waterproof so you don't have to worry about leakage. This organizer is very stable when it has something in it and works great in a trunk or sitting on a solid base. For the price this item is simply outstanding and easily recommended.

The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, Book 3)
The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, Book 3)
by Lincoln Child
Price: $32.00
108 used & new from $0.06

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Pendergast Novel I've Read, May 21, 2015
I've read several of Preston and Child Pendergast novels now and this is the best one so far. Great characters in these books and this one has the most intriguing plot of the ones I've read. Really outstanding and definitely recommended.

Admirable Evasions: How Psychology Undermines Morality
Admirable Evasions: How Psychology Undermines Morality
by Theodore Dalrymple
Price: $16.58
52 used & new from $11.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, To the Point, and Excellent, May 19, 2015
I have never read anything by Theodore Dalrymple before but I definitely am going to check out some of his other books. This book is very small and short. Can be easily read in a few hours. It skewers the overblown claims of psychology and to some degree neuroscience as explanations of human behavior or thought. Dalrymple is an incisive critic and his prose is a joy to read. He may seem a curmudgeon but I loved it. He is fond of quoting Shakespeare and shows how in a few simple lines he is a more astute student of human behavior than any psychologist.

Highly recommended.

Perky-Pet 403CP Pinch Waist Plastic Hummingbird Feeder with Free Nectar, 8-Ounce
Price: $11.19
10 used & new from $8.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Hummingbirds Love It, May 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my second favorite style of hummingbird feeder. However it is clearly the hummingbirds favorite. For whatever reason for all the years they seem more attracted to these feeders than any other I have tried. These feeders are easy to clean, easy to use, and do not drip much. Excellent and has stood the test of time.

By the People: Rebuilding Liberty Without Permission
By the People: Rebuilding Liberty Without Permission
by Charles Murray
Price: $20.08
40 used & new from $14.28

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Description of the Problem, May 18, 2015
This book has three parts. The first part is a description of a government that is beyond rehabilitation by the political process. According to Murray even if you had a favorable congress, president, and supreme court you could only affect the margins. In this part of the book Murray is simply outsanding. While I long ago gave up any hope for the political process to restore liberty I have never read such an easy to understand, simple, and clear analysis of why. This part of the book is compelling and convincing.

The second part of the book proposes civil disobedience in the form of violation of rules of the regulatory state and having a "Madison Fund" to provide free legal defense to fight it. While I think this is an excellent idea for the people involved who would otherwise be ruined by the beauracrats, I remain extremely pessimistic about it ultimately having any real effect. To be fair Murray admits it is a long shot, but he argues it COULD work.

I have long been in favor of simply ignoring the government and ignoring politics. The state depends upon people being involved (which is why they are desperate for you to "participate") and it depends upon us voluntarily acting like sheep and following the rules. I realize if you are a small business owner or are in a trade requiring licensing you can't completely ignore the government. But most of us can (with the exception of still having to pay our taxes). This kind of mass civil disobedience in my view has a lot more probability of success.

The final part of the book talks about changes in technology and diversity within the country that are important factors. This was interesting analysis but to me really didn't lead much of anywhere.

Murray has given up, or so it seems on politics. Now if we can just convince a lot more distinguished individuals to do the same we may get somewhere. Well done.

This is a good book. It some ways it is a really good book. The first part is alone worth the price of the entire book and in my opinion worth a lot more. The rest of the book was interesting to me but not outstanding, so that is why I knocked a star off. I still highly, highly recommend the book though.

The Well-Tuned Brain: Neuroscience and the Life Well Lived
The Well-Tuned Brain: Neuroscience and the Life Well Lived
by Peter C. Whybrow
Price: $20.93
66 used & new from $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Wise and Thoughtful, May 15, 2015
This is a good book. It is broken into two parts. This first part explain the problem - that our cultural changes have vastly outpaced our evolution. The second part of the book is supposed to be prescriptive and it is to some degree, but it also contains a lot of analysis of the problems we face. I found the first part compelling while I thought the second part dragged a little. Overall though it was well worth reading for the thoughtful person. It is not a science book despite the subtitle. There is wisdom and philosophical analysis contained within and I can easily recommend it.

AeraMax Baby DB5 HEPA Air Purifier for the Baby Room with Odor Reducing 4-Stage Purification
Price: $149.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding But Only For Small Rooms, May 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an excellent little filter. I don't know why the market as a Baby filter but possibly because it is so quiet. And it is very quiet. I put it near my bed last night and definitely had fewer allergy symptoms which have been very bad lately. This is a high quality machine that requires fairly expensive filter replacements but they are advertised to last a long time so maybe that is not a real factor. This is a fairly expensive unit for covering a small room but the quality seems excellent. Definitely recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20