Profile for Phoenix Omega > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 44

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Phoenix Omega RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Poweradd™ Pilot X1 5200mAh Portable Charger Backup External Battery Power Pack with LED Flashlight for iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6 5s 5c 5 4s, iPods (Apple Adapters Not Included), Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Galaxy Note 4 3, other Smartphones, Gopro Cameras and More
Offered by PoweraddDirect
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful!, May 13, 2014
I use a full-sized Sony Xperia tablet in my work, and this backup battery helps keep my device from dying. It will charge my tablet slowly as long as the tablet is shut off (not on standby!), so when I have a break of an hour or so, I can put my tablet on the charger and get about 5% of the charge back. If I try to use the tablet while it's on the charger, the battery still goes down, but at a slower rate than it would if I weren't using the battery.

Graphing Calculator Free
Graphing Calculator Free
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars numerical errors, April 8, 2014
This review is from: Graphing Calculator Free (App)
I downloaded this graphing calculator because the default calculator app on my tablet doesn't have a degree mode and can't do inverse trig functions. I was excited to see that this calculator allows one to change back and forth between degrees and radians. I immediately put the calculator in radian mode and tried sin(pi). I got a very small, non-zero result on the order of ten to the negative sixteenth. I put the calculator in degree mode, tried sin(180) and obtained a similar result. I then uninstalled the app.

Complaining that a calculator returns 10^-16 instead of zero probably seems petty, but the difference is important to me because I work with young students. For someone just learning high school level math, typing in sin(180 degrees) and seeing anything other than 0 would result in confusion. I need all of my teaching materials, including my calculator app, to reinforce basic math facts. Moreover, errors propagate when doing long calculations. My calculus and precalculus students sometimes need to compute values for long formulas involving trig functions and exponents. Even a small numerical error could result in an incorrect final answer.

If the numerical errors were fixed, this would be a very cool calculator. As it is, I can't recommend it.

Masterpiece: Mr. Selfridge Season 1 Original UK Edition [HD]
Masterpiece: Mr. Selfridge Season 1 Original UK Edition [HD]
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun period drama, January 4, 2014
I started watching Mr. Selfridge to fill the gap between seasons in Downton Abbey and discovered I like the former as much as the latter. Mr. Selfridge has a good balance between the relationships and the business aspect of the show. I enjoy watching the title character grow his business as he deals with obstacles like an employee who steals, a competitor who threatens to undercut his prices, and a hot and divisive political issue. Visually, the show is fun to watch, with gorgeous period costumes and attractive settings. I'm looking forward to the second season!

Blue Q - Boss Lady Shopper
Blue Q - Boss Lady Shopper
Price: $16.27
6 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Big bag, gorgeous graphics, December 9, 2013
This bag is adorable and a little bigger than I imagined it. I am giving it is a gift, so I can't comment on how it holds weight, but if it compares to my other Blue Q bags, it will be fine. It is easily big enough to hold a couple of towels, some bottled water, and a book to read at the beach. One thing that doesn't show in the picture is the back of the bag, which has an outside pocket that would be a perfect place to tuck a shopping list or cell phone. The pocket says "round 'em up and move 'em out!" The graphics are superb, especially the horses on the sides.

Priceless: Book 1 (A Rylee Adamson Novel)
Priceless: Book 1 (A Rylee Adamson Novel)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to love?, October 23, 2013
The protagonist of this book reminds me of a cross between Harry Dresden, Sookie Stackhouse, and Buffy, it a good way. In fact, I think I enjoyed this even more than the Southern Vampire Mysteries. My only complaint is that the book is too short. I immediately got the second in the series after finishing it. I sincerely hope that the popularity of this series takes off, as I would love to see a movie or TV series based on these books. They are action-packed, fast-paced, and full of colorful characters. It's a recipe that can't go wrong!

Classic Tangoes
Classic Tangoes
Offered by Smart Toys and Games
Price: $9.99
7 used & new from $6.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and problem solving, October 23, 2013
This review is from: Classic Tangoes (Toy)
I ordered these as a hands-on activity for the kids I tutor. I've used these successfully with a 7th grader, a 6th grader, and a 3rd grader. They are fun and challenging for all ages! My third grade pupil likes to make up stories about the pictures as she works on the puzzles. I like the fact that there are two sets of shapes so that I can work on the puzzle at the same time as my student. The pieces are sturdy and nice to touch. The whole package is slim enough to fit easily in my messenger bag; it's about the same size as a scientific calculator. Working on Tangoes makes a great break from traditional math lessons and teaches the very important skill of being able to break a big geometric shape up into smaller shapes. This skill is crucial for tasks like finding the area of an irregular shape.

Algebra Survival Guide : A Conversational Handbook for the Thoroughly Befuddled
Algebra Survival Guide : A Conversational Handbook for the Thoroughly Befuddled
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for 12-year-old, October 6, 2013
I am using this book with a 12-year-old 7th grader. She gets a kick out of the cartoons and likes the name "Singing Turtle Press". The cartoons actually spark some good conversation. I have her read aloud from the book, and we talk about the math concepts in depth. The quizzes are great for checking understanding, and she has the workbook so that I can assign homework from it. It's one of the most approachable math texts I have read, and my pupil really seems to connect with it.

The only complaint I have is the author's choice of analogies for classifying numbers. The author indicates that classifying numbers as "irrational," "rational," "natural," etc. is like classifying people as "brains," "jocks," "preppies," and so on. Smart middle school kids know that people aren't that simple and that stereotyping isn't good. A better analogy would be classifying life forms as animals, plants, reptiles, mammals, and so on. The "brains" and "jocks" analogy breaks down because a jock can always start studying hard and earn good grades, and a brain can always decide to play a sport. Pi can't ever be rational, though.

Other than that one analogy, though, I love the book so far. I'd recommend it to any kid who wants to get a jump start on algebra while taking prealgebra or maybe in the summer between algebra and prealgebra.

Coleman Industrial 30mm PVC Raincoat, Yellow, XX-Large
Coleman Industrial 30mm PVC Raincoat, Yellow, XX-Large
Price: $17.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Soooo heavy!, September 12, 2013
These raincoats work! I got one for me and one for my husband. They kept us dry during activities in Niagara Falls. I bought them after my husband complained about the wimpy ponchos I bought for our last vacation. The ponchos didn't keep us very dry, but these raincoats met his expectations.

The drawback is that these are bulky and heavy. This is not a raincoat that you want to carry in your purse just in case it rains. For one thing, it is too large to fit in most purses, and for another, it is quite heavy and tiring to carry. It's a great coat if you know for a fact that you will be in the rain, but it doesn't match a poncho for portability.

Wink 'Ruffle Cargo Roll-Up Pant' Scrub Bottoms Pewter 2X-Large
Wink 'Ruffle Cargo Roll-Up Pant' Scrub Bottoms Pewter 2X-Large
Offered by MetroUniforms
Price: $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for travel, September 12, 2013
Bought these for a trip to Canada in the late summer. The trip involved lots of outside activities as well as indoor activities like trips to museums. These pants were perfect, since I could roll them up to make decent-looking capris for outside wear on a hot day and then unroll them to make regular pants for a stroll through an air-conditioned museum or a chilly morning. There is a loop and a button that hold the rolled up part in place so that it will not unroll.

The fabric is light, soft, and cool. These pants don't need ironing if you take them out of the dryer immediately and fold or hang them up. They didn't get too wrinkly in my suitcase.

The cargo pockets are fantastic! The big one is large enough to hold a 7-inch tablet like my Kindle Fire HD. You can certainly carry a wallet, keys, cell, and other little odds and ends without needing a purse (although you couldn't do all that AND carry a tablet, too).

These run true to size. I bought them a size big "just in case". The bagginess is unflattering to say the least, but with the drawstring, I can cinch them up at the waist so they are in no danger of falling down. The drawstring is nice and long so that you can tie a double bow. I had no trouble tying and untying it.

These pants certainly aren't a fashion statement; if you want to look sharp or show off your figure, buy something else. However, they are perfect for someone who just wants a comfortable, practical pair of pants that can go from long pant to capri in a minute or so.

Doctor Who Season 7, Pt. 1 [HD]
Doctor Who Season 7, Pt. 1 [HD]
DVD
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars recommended to Whovians, August 9, 2013
I enjoyed this season as much as I have any season of Doctor Who. The pilot episode ends with a terrific plot twist that you'll enjoy if you've avoided spoilers. The dinosaur and cowboy episodes, respectively, add some fun and variety, and the last episode features the return of the weeping angels, as well as River Song. If you've never watched an episode of Doctor Who, this is not the place to start, but if you're a fan of the series, I recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5