Profile for Quaker Annie > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 235

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Quaker Annie "reader" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Coca-Cola: The Cookbook
Coca-Cola: The Cookbook
by Coca-Cola
Price: $10.88
103 used & new from $0.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, March 1, 2014
I gave this 4 stars rather than 3 because this is Coke, not Pepsi! and I am a long time coca cola fan ( not to be confused with coke). What was a bit disappointing was that I had hoped to be able to plan next year's Thanksgiving dinner around this, making it a Coca Cola themed holiday. A Christmas theme would, of course, be even better, what with the Santa and coca cola look. Cookies made with coca cola for flavoring and sweetening - how much more all American and Christian can you get?

This would have meant recipes for Coca Cola Basted turkey, stuffing soaked in coca-cola, mashed potatoes and cola, a dip or two using coca cola and a pumpkin and cola pie. How yummy does all of that sound, washed down with appropriate drinks, of course. So far, I am not finding any of that. No doubt I can figure something out myself, but the whole point of a owning a cookbook is to have instructions and measurements laid out for you.

Still, a good cover and good price. Would also like one specializing in diet Coke as that is all I myself drink.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2014 6:17 AM PST

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not what it says it is, August 7, 2013
I bought this to go in my kitchen - the colors are right, it goes with the curtains which are kind of a greenish and the countertops, which have a dark look. My cookware is all yellow Rachael Rae, and I have dinnerware that's red and white. To the right of my oven there's this big empty space. I thought an Andy Warhol picture of a Hamburger would be trendy, setting off the black and white checkboard of the linoleum flooring. I don't think this is the real Andy Warhol, because if it was, it would look like the picture he did of a Campbell Soup Can, only it would be a hamburger. My understanding was that there was something wrong with the monitor view (because so often what you see on your screen isn't what is actually there). I should have read the other review before I bought this.

If it isn't a hamburger, why is it called hamburger? Who the hell is Michel? I think he's the person who did this.

Sending it back, it doesn't fit anything in my house.

Regretsy: Where DIY Meets WTF
Regretsy: Where DIY Meets WTF
by April Winchell
32 used & new from $2.50

5.0 out of 5 stars There's snark and then there's snark, July 17, 2011
April Winchester and her army of reviewers on regretsy dot com and in this book put some depth into what it means to be snarky. Despite the whining complaints of those who think the comments are mean (and miss the points), what is happening here is many faceted.

There's a lot of good, beautiful, genuine handmade stuff on Etsy, the site that Regretsy is mainly focused on. Or at least there was when first it started out. Over the years, some crazy stuff has been creeping into the offers at Etsy, stuff that makes you say hmmmm. Or WTF. Or other things I can't put here. But you can put them into Regretsy. Some of the "artists" at Etsy create a lot of things related to body parts, male and female, as well as things that come out of your body. Some of them even create their "art" with things that come out of the body. Trust me, they doo doo. You'll find a lot of funny snarky silly comments about those things in the book and on the site.

There are also copyright thieves, people who try to pass their sweatshop work off as handmade creations, resellers and more - that's a service Regretsy provides to the real sellers and shoppers at Etsy. In addition, every month the artists and shop owners who belong to the Regretsy group, April's Army, donate their time and services to a week long fund-raiser - and others spend what little money many of them have to get the goods sold - helping a member in need. Regretsy the book is just a hand in what is a growing community.

The latest venture is a collaborative tarot deck created by 25 artists belonging to Regretsy, using "art" from this book and the website as inspiration. A good portion of the profits will be used to help artists in need - not just those who participated, but those who are part of the community and beyond.

The community doesn't respond well, ever, to those who are being mean to others. It's an incredibly giving community - read the book, but do it with all of this in mind. Even profits from the book go to charity.

One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd
One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd
by Jim Fergus
Price: $8.46
838 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Example of Historical Fantasy!, December 8, 2009
Reality and Fantasy come together in this brilliant book which I for one enjoyed, but not as I thought I would. If you are a history buff who can't stand fantasy tales, don't bother reading this one -- the mix of fantasy and reality will only serve to confuse you! And most likely if you are someone who enjoys mystical magical fluffy fantasy stories without the irritation of reality interfering, move onto something more ethereal.

If, on the other hand, you are someone who could handle mixing some good old fashioned, well researched historical fiction with a couple of chunks of "you got to be kidding that never could happen but wouldn't it be funny to think about it" twists of history, this book could be a pleasure for you.

Me, I'm an odd duck -- I enjoy role-playing as an avatar in a place called Second Life, in a placed based on Deadwood, South Dakota. Those of us who enjoy spending time there participate in historical role-play - it would not be unlikely for us to use the storyline in this excellent novel as inspiration for some of our own plots.

Creative, inspiring, well-researched, but not for those who color between the lines -- a refreshing and fun read!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A popular design, November 23, 2009
A perfect design for catlovers who love to read - that would include librarians, teachers and a lot of other people! How do I know this? Because I'm the graphic artist who made this design and it sells very well year round!

The Velveteen Rabbit
The Velveteen Rabbit
by Gennady Spirin
Price: $5.99
352 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars For all ages... an uplifting lesson, August 8, 2009
This review is from: The Velveteen Rabbit (Paperback)
In writing an article on how to incorporate a love of reading in your child from infancy, I thought I'd include some notes from my review on one of my favorite books - the Velveteen Rabbit. But of all the books I've reviewed -- somehow I never did this one (and I've done children's books!)

I didn't read this book until I was in my twenties, working in a bookstore. By that time, my children were 1 and 5. Not only did this become one of my favorite books, it went on to the list of books I read to them. They are both fathers now and these are books they've read to their children -- I hope this passes down from generation to generation because the messages in this simple story about a stuffed rabbit who someday wants to be real translate into our everyday lives.

With the advice of his frayed friend, the stuffed Skin Horse, he learns about being Real. "Does it happen all at once, like being wound up, " he asked, "or bit by bit?"
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't often happen to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be crefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

As a 60 plus year old grandmother, I have to love that quote! - but I loved this book at 25 too.

This book is on my list of books to read to your little ones. Ages 2 and up can handle being read to without a ton of pictures -- you can show them the pictures in the book first, then tell them to paint pictures in their head as you read -- trust me, it works!

Or if you buy the toddler version of this, let them look at the pictures in that while you read the words from the Real book!

A great gift for yourself and adult friends, plus a wonderful addition to any child's library.

The Complete Book of Mothers-in-law: A Celebration
The Complete Book of Mothers-in-law: A Celebration
by Luisa Dillner
52 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gift for the mother of the groom or bride!, July 28, 2009
Looking for a good gift for your mother in law? Or for a friend who is going to be the mother of the bride or groom? Or maybe something to cheer you up because you just became a mother in law...

This is the book! I wish there was time and space here to print out volumes of excerpts from this book. It isn't a collection of jokes and stories about evil mother in laws (though there are some mixed in), but some real stories as well as mythical tales.

Beginning with a prologue about her own mother in law - or mother out of law, as she lived with her husband for ten years before they wed - this book has nearly everything in it about mother in laws from different times and countries.

She delves into mixed feelings about Mother in Laws with a Chapter by that name, Racy Mother in Laws, Mad Bad and Scheming Mother in Laws, and a chapter on How to be a Good Mother in Law.

There's a chapter on Presidential and Royal Mother in laws that does deal with Princess Diana's situation - and of course Queen Victoria and Alexandra. Stateside she talks of Rose Kennedy and daughter in law Jackie, and Eleanor Roosevelt and her mother in law Sara. Alas, it was written before our current President brought the First Mother in Law (more often referred to as the First Grandmothre) into the White House - one can only hope for a sequel.

There's a poem or two but this isn't a sappy book thrown together for that Hallmark moment -- this is a thoughtfully researched book in which the author has given time and care -- recognizing that many of us who are mothers will one day be mothers in law.

Bamboo Fun (Medium) Silver Tablet with Pen, Mouse & Graphics Software
Bamboo Fun (Medium) Silver Tablet with Pen, Mouse & Graphics Software

5.0 out of 5 stars For the non-techie review reader, here's what I say!, July 19, 2009
I love my Bamboooooo!!!! Why? I hope I can list all the reasons -- I think some of them are emotional and hard to translate into words. I'm not a very computer techie person -- I love all the things attachments can do, but more often than not, I can't figure out how to work these dad gum things.

My Bamboo Fun (did I mention I love it?) has made my life soo much easier, and it's sooo easy to use! I kid you not - I got it, plugged it in and.. off we went. Don't think I swore at it, not even once. Once in awhile, if I have to use my big computer (I told you I'm not techie) instead of my laptop, I just unplug it and replug it, and we're off again...

What do I do with it? I draw. I am a self-trained graphic designer who makes part of her living selling doodles I've made in a couple of places on-line -- I used to try and draw without this and I cannot figure out how I did it. I now can spend hours and hours drawing and things look so much better and I smile a lot!

I use it to write with too, it's wonderful for creating your own font designs. Most likely there's more I should be doing with it, but the drawing just makes me happy enough.

In addition to drawing and writing, I find it wonderful to use with my laptop -- I don't have a mouse, so I have been using Bamboo instead. It's gotten to the point where I truly miss it when I'm using other computers.

This was for me a business investment -- I thought hard over the $199 because I'm a starving artist -- but it was worth every penny and more.

Excellent tool!

The Mother-in-Law's Manual: Proven Strategies for Creating and Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Married Children
by Susan Abel Lieberman
16 used & new from $129.92

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift for Mother in Laws and others, July 18, 2009
I'm reading Susan Abel Lieberman's "The Mother-in-Law" manual, which I ordered (used because I'm BROKE! LOL) from Amazon with some doubts. How good could this be? When it arrived just a couple of days after I placed my order, I ripped the box open, cracked the book for a sample reading and ended up sleeping with it.

This is a 5 star book - I'm going to give this one to a friend of mine whose son is getting married in October and who is also having some difficulties with her husband's daughters. It's also got stellular sections that are giving me insight to my own difficulties with my aging mother, who I am non-residential caretaker for.

No matter if you're the MIL or the DIL, this is a new place we're going, a new process we are going through, and there isn't enough written about it.. and for the most part, society doesn't seem to recognize mother in laws as anything but a bad joke. If you ask for help, you are likely to get blank looks for those who do just do not know how incredibly important it is to do this as right as you can, attacks from those who have had bad experiences or jokes from those who don't get it.

This was a book I needed because, despite my status as a mother-in-law for the past 7 years, I still don't know what I'm doing, how to do it right and don't fully understand how an intelligent woman like myself who loves her son and tries her best to love her daughter-in-law can end up where I have (don't ask). Until I ran into problems recently, I just thought being a mother-in-law was -- a title.

The problems you can cause, or be part of it you didn't cause them, are heart-breaking and enormous, no joke! This is a family matter - no mother in law in her right mind, who loves her children, wants to cause problems for her child's marriage, wants to alienate her child's family, wants to be excluded from her family.

Learn how to avoid this if you are the MIL or the DIL or the SIL, find out how to possibly get out of a nasty situation should you get into one -- read this book!

You will find pieces of richness in here that will give you help and hope. If you are the daughter-in-law, I'd suggest reading this because it may help you understand your MIL is only human. This is not a book that gives sappy and sweet advices, this is common sense wisdom from Ms. Lieberman and her resources of mother-in-laws and sons and daughters in law.

She deals with the topic of competition among in-laws, what happens when the grand kids enter, One of my favorite sections offers Mother -in-Law maxims - the 7 commandments, perhaps - of Mother in Lawing.

Excellent for the new bride and groom, the new mother-in-laws (as many as there are) as well as for others with sensitive family situations! Highly recommended reading!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2013 3:27 AM PDT

Paying for College without Going Broke, 2009 Edition (College Admissions Guides)
by Princeton Review
72 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent even for the procrastinator, May 29, 2009
I wish I'd found this book 15, 10 or 5 years ago but even so, with my son in his junior year of high school (a CRUCIAL year in preparing your financial aid info), I am very glad I found this book! Why you ask?

Because it has detailed and easy to understand information about filling out those FAFSA application ~ yes! BUT MORE than that, because it tells me what to do in this year, the base year that the college where my son will be going and the FAFSA people will be using to determine how much the financial aid should be for the four years of college.

No, this isn't for students and it doesn't give you a list of places to apply for financial aid - this is mostly about the FASFA application, although it touches on others and goes over common ways to put money aside.

This book gave me sound advice on what to do and not to do with the assets I have now (I'm a low income self employed single parent - but it also tells what many other parents in other situations can do), explains what will and won't count and how differently FAFSA assesses your assets and values than the government does when you fill out your tax forms. I think reading this book and using it when I fill out the forms next year could save me thousands of dollars and a lot of time and heart-ache.

If you are the parent of a child heading off for college within the next 1 - 15 years, this book is VALUABLE in terms of telling you how to strategically, legally and ethically plan to do so -- how to play by the rules.

Crucial, excellent, valuable -- I can't say enough! I am eagerly waiting for October when the 2010 edition comes out, as it will help me fill out the forms for that year, but even on my tiny income, this edition was one of the best investments I made toward my son's college education.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20