Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Crystal Eitle > Reviews

Browse

Crystal Eitle's Profile

Customer Reviews: 34

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Crystal Eitle RSS Feed (Minneapolis, MN)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Sentey LS-4560 B-trek H9 Bluetooth Wireless Foldable Headphones with Carrying Case
Offered by SuperSalesNY
Price: $38.99
9 used & new from $16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Use Daily, July 29, 2015
UPDATE: I am upping my review to four stars. Here's why:

- I use these headphones daily. They are very easy and convenient to use. Great to listen to podcasts while I'm bustling about the house.
- Accessories: They come with a very nice charging cable and AUX cable. Both cables are flat and seem more elegant to use than typical cables.
- The included carrying case is convenient and protects the headphones when not in use.

-------------

I eagerly bought these headphones after reading the many five-star reviews. Even though most of the five-star reviewers acknowledged they had received a discounted or free set of headphones, I took them at their word when they claimed objectivity.

Well I received these headphones today, and I have to say I'm mildly disappointed. They're not awful, but they're nowhere near as great as the reviews claim. I've only had them for a short time, but here are my observations so far:

The Good:
- They are wireless! Yay! The fact that they are wireless is super-neat. I was able to listen to a podcast and clean house without getting tangled up in wires.
- They paired easily via Bluetooth with my iPhone 6.
- They come with a hard carrying case to protect the headphones from damage and keep the cords organized.
- They fit comfortably over my ears and on my head

The Bad:
- The control buttons. The control buttons are made of rigid plastic and they ratlle around in their housing. So, every time you move, you can hear the buttons shake and rattle next to your ear.

The Happiness Project One-Sentence Journal: A Five-Year Record
The Happiness Project One-Sentence Journal: A Five-Year Record
by Gretchen Rubin
Edition: Diary
Price: $12.66
89 used & new from $0.92

5.0 out of 5 stars A habit that stuck I love this sturdy little book, December 19, 2014
A habit that stuck

I love this sturdy little book. I'm not terribly disciplined, yet to my surprise I've been able to write in this journal, every night, for almost two years. I just jot down whatever stands out about my day, from who I had meals with, to what book I'm reading, to what movie I saw or event I attended.

Fisher Price Classic Record Player
Fisher Price Classic Record Player
Price: $19.99
64 used & new from $16.99

1.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing toy-shaped object, November 9, 2014
I saw this at my local record and gift store and was seriously excited at first. I have great memories of this toy.

This re-release is a crushing disappointment.

Part of the delight of the original toy is that everything is on display. The mechanical parts are entirely operated by the child's power; winding the spring, and then setting the cartridge to the bumpy records. The cartridge in the original toy contained a music box with metal tines, so that the different records, when played, would produce different tunes. It was easy for a kid to see and understand how everything came together to play music.

The new toy is an electronic black box that offers no solace or delight. It's just a battery-operated gimmick. For the list price -- which is not cheap -- Fisher Price could have taken the care to re-manufacture the mechanical record player from a few decades ago. Instead, we get this cheap simulacrum, a toy-shaped object that offers little of the educational value and none of the joy of the original.

HiyaHiya 5" Sharp Ultimate Knitting Gift Set - Small and Large Knitting Needles & Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, perfect needles, November 1, 2014
I've been using HiyaHiya interchangeables for over a year and I love them. I recently lost some of my needle tips, and I'm always using the needles and cables in various projects, so I decided to buy another set.

I just received these today and have to say this is an amazing value. you basically get a whole bunch of accessories for free: the puppy snips, the straight needle adapters, the little connector gadgets, darning needles, and safety pins (which make great removable stitch markers). Please note the colorful yarn ball markers pictured above are NOT included. The written description is accurate though. Don't hesitate to get this set if you are a knitter. Or if you are looking for a gift for the knitter in your life, I promise you they would be beyond thrilled by this.

Microsoft Surface 2 (32 GB)
Microsoft Surface 2 (32 GB)
Offered by Cheap Cheep
Price: $269.99
161 used & new from $110.00

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent little machine, May 24, 2014
I received a Surface 2 tablet from my job. (I work in IT support and these are being handed out to one of the user groups at my company). It has quickly become my favorite computer/tablet/all-purpose-device. The Surface 2 hits the sweet spot between portability and usability.

One thing to be aware of is that to get the most out of this device, you really also need the Power Cover 2 (NOT the Touch Cover, which I've heard is basically a useless piece of garbage). The reason for this is twofold:

1) The Power Cover 2 is a great, useable keyboard. I'm a fast typist, and I have had no problems touch-typing on the Power Cover keyboard. It's a little smaller than a standard keyboard, but is very well-designed as far as tactile feedback and the size of the keys. It's really fun to be able to type a lengthy comment, or review, or email, and then go back to using the touchscreen. After years of carrying around devices with a touch-only interface, it is so great to have a keyboard back!

2) The Power Cover 2 functions as a backup battery for the tablet. Basically you have two batteries, one in the tablet and one in the keyboard. (The tablet connects to the keyboard via a magnetic connector that makes a satisfying click as you snap them together. Sexy!) When the tablet is connected to the keyboard, it uses up the keyboard battery first, then the tablet's internal battery. Likewise when you charge, it charges the tablet first, then the keyboard. In theory, you have up to 20 hours of battery life with the Power Cover 2 attached. I don't know about that, but I do know I've been able to use the device pretty much all day without running out of battery life.

(One drawback is that there is no way to charge the keyboard separately while carrying the tablet around. The keyboard has to be attached to the tablet in order to charge.)

Included with the tablet is a full version of Office 2013 including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote. This allows you to do "real work" if your work involves using any of these applications. You can use these applications on the "desktop" side or the "tablet" side. Basically you have two different home screens you can look at: the mobile screen with the tiles (this is the one I use the most), or an interface that looks more like a traditional Windows desktop. There are actually separate versions of the Office applications depending on which interface you're using; the ones on the desktop side are more full-featured, but I find myself using the tablet interface for most things.

Unfortunately, there is no way to install other Windows desktop programs (you would need a Surface Pro for that), but you can install apps on the "tablet side" via the Store.

Have I mentioned how awesome it is to have both a touchscreen and a keyboard? Web browsing becomes much more intuitive and fun. (The downside is that now I keep trying to touch the screen of my Windows 7 laptop, which of course doesn't do anything).

The form factor of this device is ideal. The screen is large enough for comfortable reading and viewing, but the whole thing is so small and light -- even with the Power Cover attached -- that I can easily slip it into my bag for the day. As a result, I have the device with me all the time. It's the device I go to first now for most uses.

This is also the device that got me using OneNote. Learn to use OneNote! It's practical and surprisingly fun.

Pros:
- Excellent form factor
- Good battery life
- Office 2013
- Affordable

Cons:
- Power Cover 2 keyboard must be purchased separately
- No app to watch Amazon Prime video
- Can't install Windows desktop applications.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2015 2:16 PM PST

Kindle Paperwhite 3G, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers [Previous Generation]

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted, November 1, 2012
This is my first Kindle, so I can't compare it to previous Kindles.

The device is very light and comfortable to hold. The texture of the back is very "grippy." The display is lovely; very sharp, clear and readable.

I have noticed some slight unevenness with the lighting along the bottom, but not enough to bother me. (I think some reviewers may have unreasonably heightened expectations, or perhaps there really are some bad units out there. However, I have no problem with mine.)

Baggallini Milano Bag
Baggallini Milano Bag

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, practical, comfortable -- but large, April 18, 2012
This review is from: Baggallini Milano Bag (Apparel)
I just received this bag a couple days ago. The middle pocket on the front is perfect for storing my rather large Android phone, and has a magnetic closure for extra security while still being easy to access. The front zipper pockets hold my work badge and iPod. The lip balm holder on the inside top works great.

The bag has many surprising features; in addition to the twist closure at the top, there is a magnetic closure to help hold it all together. The back pocket -- which unzips at the bottom to slide over a suitcase handle -- also has a magnetic closure.

The inside key fob and tiny pouch with ID pocket are nice features. It also has five metal protective "feet" on the bottom.

The bag is stylish and comfortable. It lays fairly flat against my body, even when full of stuff. I chose the navy blue, which I think looks great, even in the nylon fabric this bag is made of.

The only caveat is that it is big. Very big. I'm not sure how I feel about it as an everyday bag because of this. I think it will make an *excellent* carry-on. My advice, if you're thinking of using this as your everyday purse, is to make sure to study the dimensions and decide whether it is a size you're comfortable with.

U-nitt Bamboo Circular Knitting Needles 40" sz 1-10.5, 11, 13, 15: 14-sz set patina

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful needles, July 28, 2011
This is a great set of needles. I'm a new but ambitious knitter, and wanted to have all the needles I would need to hand without spending a lot of money. I was a little wary because of the price, but I was pleasantly surprised. The bamboo is smooth and easy to work with. The cables are very flexible and pliant. I'm just wrapping up my first project -- a shawl -- on the Size 9 circulars and am totally satisfied. Glad to have gotten this set before it sold out; hopefully it comes back, because this is a great deal.

UR
UR
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A rollicking good read somewhat tainted by advertising., March 7, 2009
This review is from: UR (Kindle Edition)
In the first part of the book, you can practically see Stephen King getting his contractual obligations out of the way. "Mentioned Internet capability, check. Mentioned screen size, check. Mentioned price, check. Showed Kindle surviving drop, check. Dismissed gripes about it being limited to black-and-white, check." It's a little weird and distracts from the story somewhat; I felt like I'd paid to read an ad.

Once he's done listing the device specs in prose format, he switches gears, and immerses you, the reader, in an engrossing tale of alternate universes, love, and consequences. There are nice allusions to other works of literature, and a tinge of Dark Tower mythos. It's a good story, once you get past the beginning.

The Rest Is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century
The Rest Is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century
by Alex Ross
Price: $15.71
155 used & new from $1.85

4.0 out of 5 stars A tough mountain to climb, November 29, 2008
I'm learning a lot about 20th-century music from The Rest is Noise, but it's a tough read. The book is clearly well researched, however, in an effort to cite sources, the author disrupts the narrative flow. Consider the following sentence:

"Strauss sketched a choral work based on Goethe's text, and, as Jackson discovered, some of that material went into Metamorphosen."

"Jackson" here is Timothy Jackson, a researcher mentioned in an earlier paragraph. Inline citations like this are peppered throughout the book, making it very difficult to focus on the story at hand. I think it would have been better if these citations were in the form of endnotes.

The book takes a detached, scholarly tone throughout. Nonetheless, it is a very informative and thorough review of 20th century classical music, and I recommend it to anyone interested in the subject.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4