Profile for Crystal Eitle > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 30

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Crystal Eitle RSS Feed (Minneapolis, MN)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Microsoft Surface 2 (32 GB)
Microsoft Surface 2 (32 GB)
Offered by Great_Deal 4U
Price: $409.99
58 used & new from $249.99

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent little machine, May 24, 2014
I received a Surface 2 tablet from my job. (I work in IT support and these are being handed out to one of the user groups at my company). It has quickly become my favorite computer/tablet/all-purpose-device. The Surface 2 hits the sweet spot between portability and usability.

One thing to be aware of is that to get the most out of this device, you really also need the Type Cover 2 (NOT the Touch Cover, which I've heard is basically a useless piece of garbage). The reason for this is twofold:

1) The Type Cover 2 is a great, useable keyboard. I'm a fast typist, and I have had no problems touch-typing on the Type Cover keyboard. It's a little smaller than a standard keyboard, but is very well-designed as far as tactile feedback and the size of the keys. It's really fun to be able to type a lengthy comment, or review, or email, and then go back to using the touchscreen. After years of carrying around devices with a touch-only interface, it is so great to have a keyboard back!

2) The Type Cover 2 functions as a backup battery for the tablet. Basically you have two batteries, one in the tablet and one in the keyboard. (The tablet connects to the keyboard via a magnetic connector that makes a satisfying click as you snap them together. Sexy!) When the tablet is connected to the keyboard, it uses up the keyboard battery first, then the tablet's internal battery. Likewise when you charge, it charges the tablet first, then the keyboard. In theory, you have up to 20 hours of battery life with the Type Cover 2 attached. I don't know about that, but I do know I've been able to use the device pretty much all day without running out of battery life.

(One drawback is that there is no way to charge the keyboard separately while carrying the tablet around. The keyboard has to be attached to the tablet in order to charge.)

Included with the tablet is a full version of Office 2013 including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote. This allows you to do "real work" if your work involves using any of these applications. You can use these applications on the "desktop" side or the "tablet" side. Basically you have two different home screens you can look at: the mobile screen with the tiles (this is the one I use the most), or an interface that looks more like a traditional Windows desktop. There are actually separate versions of the Office applications depending on which interface you're using; the ones on the desktop side are more full-featured, but I find myself using the tablet interface for most things.

Unfortunately, there is no way to install other Windows desktop programs (you would need a Surface Pro for that), but you can install apps on the "tablet side" via the Store.

Have I mentioned how awesome it is to have both a touchscreen and a keyboard? Web browsing becomes much more intuitive and fun. (The downside is that now I keep trying to touch the screen of my Windows 7 laptop, which of course doesn't do anything).

The form factor of this device is ideal. The screen is large enough for comfortable reading and viewing, but the whole thing is so small and light -- even with the Type Cover attached -- that I can easily slip it into my bag for the day. As a result, I have the device with me all the time. It's the device I go to first now for most uses.

This is also the device that got me using OneNote. Learn to use OneNote! It's practical and surprisingly fun.

Pros:
- Excellent form factor
- Good battery life
- Office 2013
- Affordable

Cons:
- Type Cover 2 keyboard must be purchased separately
- No app to watch Amazon Prime video
- Can't install Windows desktop applications.

Kindle Paperwhite 3G, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers [Previous Generation]
Price: $179.00
9 used & new from $89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted, November 1, 2012
This is my first Kindle, so I can't compare it to previous Kindles.

The device is very light and comfortable to hold. The texture of the back is very "grippy." The display is lovely; very sharp, clear and readable.

I have noticed some slight unevenness with the lighting along the bottom, but not enough to bother me. (I think some reviewers may have unreasonably heightened expectations, or perhaps there really are some bad units out there. However, I have no problem with mine.)

Baggallini Milano Bag
Baggallini Milano Bag

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, practical, comfortable -- but large, April 18, 2012
This review is from: Baggallini Milano Bag (Apparel)
I just received this bag a couple days ago. The middle pocket on the front is perfect for storing my rather large Android phone, and has a magnetic closure for extra security while still being easy to access. The front zipper pockets hold my work badge and iPod. The lip balm holder on the inside top works great.

The bag has many surprising features; in addition to the twist closure at the top, there is a magnetic closure to help hold it all together. The back pocket -- which unzips at the bottom to slide over a suitcase handle -- also has a magnetic closure.

The inside key fob and tiny pouch with ID pocket are nice features. It also has five metal protective "feet" on the bottom.

The bag is stylish and comfortable. It lays fairly flat against my body, even when full of stuff. I chose the navy blue, which I think looks great, even in the nylon fabric this bag is made of.

The only caveat is that it is big. Very big. I'm not sure how I feel about it as an everyday bag because of this. I think it will make an *excellent* carry-on. My advice, if you're thinking of using this as your everyday purse, is to make sure to study the dimensions and decide whether it is a size you're comfortable with.

U-nitt Bamboo Circular Knitting Needles 40" sz 1-10.5, 11, 13, 15: 14-sz set patina

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful needles, July 28, 2011
This is a great set of needles. I'm a new but ambitious knitter, and wanted to have all the needles I would need to hand without spending a lot of money. I was a little wary because of the price, but I was pleasantly surprised. The bamboo is smooth and easy to work with. The cables are very flexible and pliant. I'm just wrapping up my first project -- a shawl -- on the Size 9 circulars and am totally satisfied. Glad to have gotten this set before it sold out; hopefully it comes back, because this is a great deal.

UR
UR
Price: $3.19

3.0 out of 5 stars A rollicking good read somewhat tainted by advertising., March 7, 2009
This review is from: UR (Kindle Edition)
In the first part of the book, you can practically see Stephen King getting his contractual obligations out of the way. "Mentioned Internet capability, check. Mentioned screen size, check. Mentioned price, check. Showed Kindle surviving drop, check. Dismissed gripes about it being limited to black-and-white, check." It's a little weird and distracts from the story somewhat; I felt like I'd paid to read an ad.

Once he's done listing the device specs in prose format, he switches gears, and immerses you, the reader, in an engrossing tale of alternate universes, love, and consequences. There are nice allusions to other works of literature, and a tinge of Dark Tower mythos. It's a good story, once you get past the beginning.

The Rest Is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century
The Rest Is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century
by Alex Ross
Price: $15.13
149 used & new from $3.30

4.0 out of 5 stars A tough mountain to climb, November 29, 2008
I'm learning a lot about 20th-century music from The Rest is Noise, but it's a tough read. The book is clearly well researched, however, in an effort to cite sources, the author disrupts the narrative flow. Consider the following sentence:

"Strauss sketched a choral work based on Goethe's text, and, as Jackson discovered, some of that material went into Metamorphosen."

"Jackson" here is Timothy Jackson, a researcher mentioned in an earlier paragraph. Inline citations like this are peppered throughout the book, making it very difficult to focus on the story at hand. I think it would have been better if these citations were in the form of endnotes.

The book takes a detached, scholarly tone throughout. Nonetheless, it is a very informative and thorough review of 20th century classical music, and I recommend it to anyone interested in the subject.

Sew Everything Workshop: The Complete Step-by-Step Beginner's Guide with 25 Fabulous Original Designs, Including 10 Patterns
by Diana Rupp
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: $17.24
77 used & new from $8.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book for beginners, July 20, 2008
I got a sudden urge to sew and after reading the positive reviews for this book, went out and bought it.

The book has clearly written, easy-to-understand instructions for everything the beginning sewist needs to know: basic supplies, what to look for in a sewing machine, how to thread the machine, how to select and prepare fabric for a project, how to read a pattern, and finally, how to sew.

So far, I've made one of the beginner projects out of this book--a totebag. My family and friends have complimented me on how nice it came out. I think it turned out really well and I'm very happy with the results. A lot of the credit goes to this book for providing such good instructions. Sewing seems like such an engaging, satisfying hobby. I'm looking forward to producing more of the items in this book.

Sennheiser PX 100 Lightweight Collapsible Headphones (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, June 24, 2007
These lightweight, collapsible headphones deliver crisp, clear, full sound across most frequencies. The bass slightly lacks punch, however it does have a full, round, clean sound. Mid-range tones sound great; these are wonderful headphones if you love guitar-driven pop. I adore these 'phones.

One caveat: the open design means that people next to you on the bus or at work *will* be able to hear what you're playing. They also don't block out any outside noise. I considered this a plus for safety reasons - if you're out exercising or walking alone it's good to be able to hear what's going on around you.

The collapsible design is nice for travel, or for stowing your headphones in a purse or bag.

These headphones deliver good separation, detail, and fidelity. I recommend them without hesitation.

Walkman Car Connecting Pack for MD Walkman and CD Walkman (Model# CPA-9C)
Walkman Car Connecting Pack for MD Walkman and CD Walkman (Model# CPA-9C)
Offered by MegaRetailStore
Price: $12.52
28 used & new from $9.89

1.0 out of 5 stars broke after only a few months, November 14, 2006
This cassette adapter stopped working after only a few months. Not recommended.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after a few months, November 14, 2006
This cassette adapter broke after a few months of use. Not recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3