Profile for Robert J. Chiarito Jr. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert J. Chiarito Jr. "Bob Chiarito" RSS Feed (Chicago, IL)

Stay Tuned: Conversations with Dad from the Other Side
Stay Tuned: Conversations with Dad from the Other Side
by Jenniffer Weigel
Price: $17.79
76 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - I only wish it was longer!, December 7, 2009
I've have no idea how many hundreds of books I've read in my life but I can say the ones that touched me enough to re-read number less than 10. Stay Tuned was one of them.

Jenniffer Weigel's book is very honest, funny and heart-breaking at the same time. I am not going to say too much because I don't want to spoil the fun. It's a quick read, which is too bad because it goes by too fast! I finished it and after thinking about it for a day decided to read it again to really soak it in. It's a great book to give to friends also, in my opinion.

For me, I loved that Jenniffer is down to earth, and I share a reporting background with her so I know some of her frustrations. Also, I had the pleasure of meeting her father several times so it was cool to learn more about him (behind the camera stuff).

Enough about that, just buy it and read it! --you will thank yourself for doing so!

Playing for Knight: My Six Seasons with Coach Knight
Playing for Knight: My Six Seasons with Coach Knight
by Steve Alford
Price: $11.70
161 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book about Bob Knight, period., August 6, 2007
I've read pretty much every book about Robert M. Knight and must say that Steve Alford's book is the best. He is honest in his opinions and praises and criticizes his old coach when he feels necessary. Better than the widely hailed "Season on the Brink," after reading this book you'll see that there truly is a method to Knight's madness and that he is truly a great man.

The Prince of Darkness: 50 Years Reporting in Washington
The Prince of Darkness: 50 Years Reporting in Washington
by Robert D. Novak
213 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reporter and a great man, August 6, 2007
As a college student in 1996, I had the honor to intern for Robert Novak. Mr. Novak was always willing to listen to my questions and give me advice. Don't get me wrong, we didn't sit around and b.s. all day. Usually I'd be lucky to get in a couple questions first thing in the morning, before he hunkered down on the phone. He works a lot and the results are in his columns that the nation is lucky to read.
His book has been a long time coming and I am very happy to have it.
Mr. Novak is truly part of a dying breed -- reporters who are fair, honest and respectful.
Although most cannot get the inside view of Mr. Novak that I had, this book will surely give the reader a little bit of a taste of how Mr. Novak works.

Les Brownlee: The Autobiography of a Pioneering African-American Journalist
Les Brownlee: The Autobiography of a Pioneering African-American Journalist
by Les Brownlee
44 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A true American Hero, March 20, 2007
I just bought Les Brownlee's autobiography and read it in a day, as I couldn't put it down once I cracked it open. I was a former student of Brownlee's and good friend and reading his book was like listening to one of his great stories --of which he had millions!

At the bookstore this book is located in African-American Studies. It should be located in American History because Les' story transends race. I'm not going to rehash Les Brownlee's lifestory -- buy and read the book for that. I just want to say only in America can someone overcome what Brownlee went through with courage and grace and then move on to help others who came after him!

This book really is a must read for anyone who needs a little inspiration. I only wish the book was longer! Of course, I also wish my friend was still around to sign it for me.

-Bob Chiarito
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 15, 2012 8:04 PM PDT

Hollywood Italians: Dagos, Palookas, Romeos, Wise Guys, and Sopranos
Hollywood Italians: Dagos, Palookas, Romeos, Wise Guys, and Sopranos
by Peter Bondanella
29 used & new from $2.76

4.0 out of 5 stars very good but I've read better, June 28, 2006
Very good but another recent book by Fred Gardaphe -- "From Wiseguys to Wise Men" tackles a lot of this topic and does it better!

Childish Things
Childish Things
Offered by Butler Online Stores
Price: $19.97
28 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars About 20 years too late!, March 27, 2006
This review is from: Childish Things (Audio CD)
While musically James McMurtry has talent, the message of his album and especially the hit song "We Can't Make It Here" is outdated and unrealistic. In the song McMurtry laments about shirts being made in Singapore and the problems of outsourcing jobs, among other ridiculous things. It seems he would like to live in the world of the 1950s. While appealing on the surface, it is a waste of time to think like this.

McMurtry should realize that oursourcing is a reality and American companies have no choice. Nor is this a new issue. Shirts being made in Singapore? Give me a break -- he should find a real cause to wail against, not one that was lost years ago.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2013 5:13 PM PDT

Christ in Concrete (Centennial Edition) (Signet classics)
Christ in Concrete (Centennial Edition) (Signet classics)
by Pietro Di Donato
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.95
101 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic that relates to All Immigrants, March 22, 2006
This is the finest book I have ever read about Immigrants. As an Italian American it is especially rewarding. If made into a real film (not like the cheesy 1949 version)it could be a masterpiece -- it could be to Scorsese what Schindler's list is to Spielberg.

One note -- wait to read Fred Gardaphe's introduction until after you read the novel as he gives away a lot of the story.

The Toughest Cop in America
The Toughest Cop in America
by Charles F. Adamson
13 used & new from $49.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Pape Story Solid ... Could have been even better, February 19, 2002
As a former crime reporter in Chicago, I was always well aware of the legend of Frank Pape, even if he retired before I started my career.
Chuck Adamson does a very good job telling Pape's story overall, although at times he tends to preach. If he would have left certain things unsaid, I believe the readers would understand -- instead of pounding his point over and over again. I know that most of the readers will probably not be familiar with the workings of the Chicago Police Department, but Adamson tends to speak down to his readers in some sections of his book, which at times reads like a campaign to get Pape's badge on some Fraternal Order of Police wall. As an eighteen-year CPD veteran, Adamson no doubt has insights others do not. The problem is, he cannot seem to make his mind whether or not he wants to be part of the story or not. All that being said, I really did enjoy the book.
Adamson did a fantastic job researching and storytelling, making me identify with Pape and his co-workers. Pape has since passed away since the book was published -- it would be nice if Adamson wrote an epilogue and if the publisher cleaned up some of the typos!

Thirty Years in the Trenches Covering Crooks, Characters and Capers
Thirty Years in the Trenches Covering Crooks, Characters and Capers
by John Drummond
42 used & new from $2.53

4.0 out of 5 stars A great yarn from a legendary reporter., February 25, 2000
Drummond, a reporter with CBS-owned Channel 2 in Chicago for many years, is best known for covering the "Outfit" in Chicago. As any Chicagoan can attest, he also covered many characters and other crooks, besides the big fish that hogged the headlines. Although there is a chapter on Tony "Big Tuna" Accardo, Drummond wisely focuses on the little guys that many of us forgot. This is a smart choice, for much is already written about the big guys like Accardo and if Drummond wanted to cover them right, he would of had to have written a separate book on several people. The only thing missing in the book is more on Drummond himself, for if you are a personal friend of his, as I am, you know that he is more interesting than any of the crooks and capers he ever covered. Read this book and try to learn as much as you can about John Drummond - a living Chicago legend and a journalism institution!