Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Profile for ChaCha > Reviews

Browse

ChaCha's Profile

Customer Reviews: 74

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ChaCha RSS Feed (New York, NY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The God Makers: A Shocking Expose of What the Mormon Church Really Believes
The God Makers: A Shocking Expose of What the Mormon Church Really Believes
by Ed Decker
Price: $12.58
65 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars The Most Biased Book I Have Ever Read, October 23, 2009
What a perfectly dreadful book that uses snippets of truth to support its horrid bias. Being that I have no religious affiliations of my own, I started this book with a very open mind but quickly came to realize this Ed Decker really thinks he is holier than thou and his personal beliefs of his church should be shoved down everyone's throat. Can this author be so narrow minded? Almost all religions ask you to suspend belief. Why should more be expected from the LDS church? His hatred of the LDS church is felt throughout the book despite his protests to the contrary.

In my estimation, the LDS church is no better or worse than other religions. If we look at this religion as a culture and not just as a religion, there are many fine points to aspire to. Likewise, there are also some not so wonderful aspects of this church which Decker exploits worse than the National Enquirer. I learned so little from this book and only came away with a sense of sorrow that my purchase has made his pockets richer. If you must read this book, go to a library or buy it 2nd hand.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2011 10:45 AM PST

In Treatment: Season 2
In Treatment: Season 2
DVD ~ Gabriel Byrne
Offered by Anchor*Media
Price: $16.43
26 used & new from $8.82

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatness Continues, June 3, 2009
This review is from: In Treatment: Season 2 (DVD)
In Treatment's second season continues in the "does programming get better than this?" fashion we became accustomed to in Season One. The first episode has us meet up again with Dr. Paul Weston who is newly divorced in his Brooklyn apartment/office but this time around he is faced with a malpractice lawsuit from a former patient's father. We are also introduced to new patients, a female laywer whom Paul had treated 20 years prior, a college student with cancer, a preteen boy whose parent's recently divorced and a very highly ranked executive. Paul continues as a patient himself with his former therapist and mentor, Gina. The acting is intense and Gabriel Bryne can do more with an eyebrow or a flare of one nostril than most people can do with their entire bodies and vocal chords.

If you like intelligent shows with a great deal of realism, you must watch this. I hope we see at least one more season of this remarkable show.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2010 12:15 PM PDT

Mommywood
Mommywood
by Tori Spelling
248 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Tori is as Real as they Come - God I love her!, May 27, 2009
This review is from: Mommywood (Hardcover)
For those who have read other people's reviews on Mommywood and her previous book, do you notice a theme in almost everyone's reviews?
Almost every one of our reviews starts with "wasn't a fan until I read her book or viewed her reality show". Tori has an innate charm and goodness about her that you can't help but become enamored with her. Mommywood was very enjoyable. A couple of people critique her for continuing on with her relationship with her mother who let's not forget is also the children's only living grandparent.
There was a need to continue exploring her bad relationship with her mother since she now has a daugher and as a mother, she identifies more with Stella than Liam and the doubts she has as a mother are magnified with a daughter as opposed to a son.

What makes Tori so charming is her honesty. She fully admits enjoying the perks of celebrity and her trials in being a stepmother to Dean's child from a former marriage. Tori's a good actress but she's no Meryl Streep so I can believe what we hear, see and read from her is very real and we totally buy who she is. A very wonderful read!

Flight of the Conchords: Season 2
Flight of the Conchords: Season 2
DVD ~ Jemaine Clement
Price: $9.99
98 used & new from $1.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Fantastic But Lost Some Steam, March 23, 2009
As of last night, it looks like our beloved Jemaine and Bret had their last show. This second season had it's share of brilliance to be sure though compared to the first season, it doesn't quite meet the excellence of the first. Gems like New Zealandtown, Garfunkeling, the Prime Minister and the guys taking up prostitution as a way of earning money are some of highlights that will keep you in stitches. It's not that they didn't try hard enough, it's just that after the quality of the first season, there was no where to go but down. Still, if you are a fan of the first season, you will also love the second season. It's like sheep; you'll always love your first sheep much more than your second (many of you will know exactly what I'm talking about). Anyway, Conchords, you have made me laugh many times over. You were geniuses at what you did (do) and you brought a tremendous amount of laughter to so many of us fans. Thank you and Baaaa.

Escape
Escape
by Carolyn Jessop
380 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of the Best Books on the Subject Matter of Polygamy, October 24, 2008
This review is from: Escape (Hardcover)
I have to confess. All because of the HBO series, "Big Love", it has sparked an interest about polygamy, the various fundamentalist Mormon sects that practice polygamy and the LDS church - its history and its present. Over the last year, I have devoured book after book on these topics including but not limited to, "His Favorite Wife" "Mormon America", and "Leaving the Saints". I have read information on all sorts of web sites, viewed countless message boards and have walked away feeling like I have a pretty good and unbiased grasp of polygamy.

That being said, I want to commend Carolyn Jessup for doing what no one else has really been able to explain to me - exactly why women stay and tolerate this harsh lifestyle. We all know that there is a degree of isolation and lack of education which answers part of the question, but why do they really stay? The lack of money, job skills and outside connections makes it difficult to run - especially with loads of kids but Carolyn was able to explain to me why many of them stay. She dispelled the myth that there is a gun to their heads and explained it's not only because they are trapped but that they believe. Believing in a concept has a much stronger hold than anything and she explained what's waiting for them in the next life if they blindly obey the "rules". It's a pretty package if you believe it.

Now Carolyn was not really typical. For one thing she had a college degree and was married to Merrill Jessup, one of the upper echelon in their church. However, none of these assets made her life any better than someone with no education or married to someone of lesser status.

This is a remarkable book that gives a real insight to the community she came from. It explains the dynamics of being one of several sister-wives, some of whom hate each other, the resentments, the favoritism and the abuse of children as a way of keeping the mothers and children "in line".

This is an excellent book and also one of inspiration.

God's Brothel: The Extortion of Sex for Salvation in Contemporary Mormon and Christian Fundamentalist Polygamy and the Stories of 18 Women Who Escaped
by Andrea Moore-Emmett
Price: $13.90
94 used & new from $1.53

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Subject Matter, Not So Greatly Written, October 24, 2008
God's Brothel is a fascinating look at polygamy in the United States within the fundamentalist Mormon religion. According to Joseph Smith, the founder and first prophet of the Church of Latter Day Saints, he received a revelation that the "principle" of polygamy was to be followed, and they did. Years later, as the LDS church eventually settled in Utah territory, the big issue with attaining statehood was that they practiced polygamy. The reigning prophet of that time received a new revelation; polygamy was no longer to be practiced and the LDS Church threatened to excommunicate anyone who did so. Well, there were many followers who didn't accept this and saw this not as a true revelation but one that was "received" just to satify the United States government; they were unwilling to recognize this new revelation and
went on to form offshoots of the LDS Church.

God's Brothel is not a bad book but it's not a great one either. It attempts to give some background on some of the fundamentalist churches, the psychology of why these women stay and also includes a few personal stories of women who have left their respective churches. My biggest problem with the book is that it feels like the author was trying to fill up space with big print and many wasted pages with forwards and introductions and not enough content. There was so much more to say and the personal stories and background infomration could have had a little more depth.

There are much better books out there that give a personal viewpoint of what it's like to live (and leave) polygamy such as "Escape" by Carolyn Jessup who really explains why women just don't leave. Another good one is "His Favorite Wife" by Susan Ray. Again, this is not a bad book but kind of like a Reader's Digest version of the subject matter. It's not worth the money.

Stori Telling
Stori Telling
by Tori Spelling
254 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars You Can't Help but Fall in love with Tori, August 21, 2008
This review is from: Stori Telling (Hardcover)
Consider me, I was kind of neutral about Tori Spelling. Yes, I watched her on 90210, Yes, I read about her in the tabloids and yes, I saw one or two of those made for TV movies. I knew of Tori but didn't care one way or the other about her until I saw her in this gay date movie called "Trick". Hmmm, Tori was funny; I never knew she could handle comedy so well. Years went by, I saw 1 or 2 episodes of SoNotorius, then came Tori and Dean Inn Love. Cute, very cute but still not enough to make me tune in every week.
Then....this book. Who knew? I mean, who knew Tori was such a warm, loving yet wounded soul with major Mommy issues, issues about how she looks, the choices she has made and a wonderful self-deprecating humor. I love Tori now. I only purchased this book based on so many great recommendations, and kids you can count me as one of them now. You will love this book and you can't help but fall in love with Tori at least a little bit. Can't wait for her next book.

Georgia Rule (Full Screen Edition)
Georgia Rule (Full Screen Edition)
DVD ~ Jane Fonda
Offered by Bridge Records Eire
Price: $8.60
136 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually, Quite Good, June 30, 2008
Sometimes it's very hard to put your negative personal feelings for an actress (in this case, Lindsay Lohan) aside but she is so good in Georgia Rule that you can't help but admire her performance. So, I loved her in this movie along with Felicity Huffman and Jane Fonda who were excellent in their own right. This was so much better than I expected. It's definitely a drama but also has some humor. Yes, it deals with the very serious subject of sexual abuse with a minor but it handles it well and honestly. Was this the greatest movie ever? No. But it certainly was good to very good.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2009 9:51 PM PST

In Treatment: Season 1
In Treatment: Season 1
DVD ~ Gabriel Byrne
Price: $14.99
23 used & new from $6.56

5.0 out of 5 stars GET TREATED!, March 25, 2008
This review is from: In Treatment: Season 1 (DVD)
For some reason I had some resistance to watching this new series from HBO. Was it going to be so-so like "Tell Me You Love Me"? Was it another "John From Cincinnati" that only 10% of it's viewing audience understood (or cared about)?

Where was the next "Soprano's", "Six Feet Under", "Sex in the City"? Why was I even getting HBO - I've seen their movies over and over and anything new was not anything I wanted to see so as a last ditch effort to convince myself that I "needed" HBO, one cold and rainy Saturday, I decided to give "In Treatment" a chance (I have onDemand and had access to 7 of the 9 weeks of "sessions" thus far).

The deal was I only had to watch one or two of the 30 minutes episodes. If I didn't like it, at least I could say that I gave it a chance. Okay, you already know the obvious based on my title of this review how much I liked it, but I need to state it again, GET TREATED! It's that great. Beyond great as a matter of fact.

We get to follow the week-to-week therapy sessions of 4 individuals (including the therapist) and one couple. If you've ever been to therapy, it's an instant recognition of the process. If you want to spend time with an incredible drama with the sharpest, most relatable writing and actors that can't convince me they aren't actors but real players for the entertainment of us "flies on the wall", then this might be a series for you. Gabriel Byrne, who portrays the therapist is phenomenal.

Does it sound normal that a person should get depressed and want to go into therapy to discuss why this season ending should affect me so? Call me crazy and make me an appointment!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2009 10:00 AM PDT

Back To Black
Back To Black
Price: $11.47
135 used & new from $4.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Can you believe one person has all this talent?, February 19, 2008
This review is from: Back To Black (Audio CD)
It's hard to discuss Back to Black without discussing feelings and the feelings this CD has stirred up in this jaded music lover is extreme satisfaction and proof that today's music isn't dead. In this day and age of sameness and music just for the sake of showcasing videos of beautiful looking people, Amy is a breath of fresh air (she is also beautiful in her own right but not in your traditional way). Who cares if Ms. Winehouse isn't 100% original; everyone borrows from someone to some degree but Amy does it with a freshness and originality she can claim as her own.

Unfortunately, Rehab is an anthem for today but done with such catchy and interesting styling. Rehab is only the tip of the iceburg; there is so much more contained in this phenomenal CD of an amazingly talented artist. I only hope this young lady works out some of her issues so she'll be with us for years to come. Delaying buying this CD only means you are that many days longer deprived of experiencing Ms. Winehouse.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8